F01 - PP - Ghost’s Professions! <<Earning A Living: Forager>>

Ghost smiled back at him, sitting calmly next to Koga again as he opened and searched through the chest. It was hard not to find some humor in the situation now; She didn’t quite know what this ‘mimic’ was that Koga mentioned, but she was certainly glad that they didn’t have to worry about anything bad from what they’d gotten. Plus, it seemed like he was happy with what he’d gotten, judging by the same grin coming across his face as earlier.

“…I.. joined SAO with someone,” she began. It was a bit easier than earlier to find the courage to talk, but even so, the words were still strained Taking one more breath, she fidgeted with her hands and kept going. “…I promised that she would be… the first to hear the voice that this game gave me. Her name was Sana. She.. we didn’t know that death was real here, yet..” Ghost’s face reverted back to its blank expression, the only difference being a single tear running down her face. “…I couldn’t… keep my p-promise…” Hugging herself, she looked down at the ground. It looked like she would break from the slightest wind; She knew that compared to others, what she has been through would likely pale in comparison. Even so, just remembering that day..

Koga sat back as Ghost began to speak with a halting voice, drawing his knees up to his chest and wrapping his arms around them. He rested his chin on tops of his knees, his head tilting attentively as he listened. She spoke with a sweet melodic voice, colored by her sadness. She looked incredibly frail then. Like ash in the wind, only a small testimony to what had sat there only moments before, drifting aimlessly until the ashes finally settled in some new foreign land.

Hers was a pain Koga knew all too well. He still remembered when he'd wandered the floors of Aincrad without purpose. Simply existing, seeking either a new purpose or his demise. Either would've been preferable at the time. And though the man did not think that Ghost was as aimless as he'd been, he didn't want to see her stray down that path of despair. That wasn't living. And it'd be a shame to see someone so full of life living like that.

Koga reached out to the girl and wrapped and arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his side, bringing her close. A gentle kiss on the top of her head, made out of an attempt to comfort her (and perhaps a good deal of thoughtlessness), before he turned his eyes across the river, gently brushing his thumb along her arm. "I've lost people too, Ghost. I know it hurts," he said softly. "It's okay to grieve for them, remember them. Just don't let yourself get stuck in the past."

Feeling Koga’s arm around her, the tears became heavier, and she breathed slowly to keep herself from completely breaking down. It felt nice; Actually being in physical contact with someone, like this. Obviously, with finally making new friends, it was different but… something about this moment helped her realize, she wasn’t alone anymore. Even though she was crying, a small, sad yet happy smile slowly crept onto her face, leaning into Koga’s hug.

Then, she felt the kiss on her head, and her face rapidly reddened from the sensation, but listened to what Koga had to say as she took a moment to settle herself. He must’ve been trying to comfort her more.. right? Taking her arms away from her own sides, Ghost leaned in more, and hugged him around his waist without warning. The fact that someone else knew what she was feeling, it… scared her, a bit. But it was also relieving, knowing that she could share this side of her with someone finally, after so long..

Her tears finally stopped, and she listened to Koga’s heartbeat while enjoying the moment. She had to admit, this was very comfortable… She still wasn’t sure how she felt about the goof holding her for certain, but she knew that this felt right.

It was Koga's turn to allow for a small smile on his face as he felt Ghost's arms wrap around him, pressing herself into his side. The sensation of another person in his arms. His in theirs. He'd forgotten what that was like. How comforting it was. He'd...missed it.

The two sat there, entwined in each other's arms, for a while longer. A simple moment by the riverside. Simple, and yet it meant so much for the two who embraced each other.

Koga would have been content to sit there for a while longer, but Okami had begun to become restless. The wolf padded up to Ghost and nudged her shoulder, trying to sneak his way beneath Koga's arm and join in their embrace. Of course, the man could feel the impatient wolf's prodding. "Hey, relax boy," Koga laughed as her released Ghost from his embrace and scratched the wolf behind the ears. "You're so fucking needy."

The man glanced up at the clock in his HUD, noting the time. "It's getting late, you wanna start heading back? We got fish to cook, remember?"

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost thought about what Koga had said. Don’t let yourself get stuck in the past… Master YunXiang said something similar, right after the Second Trial. They were right, of course; she shouldn’t let herself be swept away with what happened then. All the same, it was also easier said than done.

Especially… when she partly blamed herself, and felt like she had good reason to.

Even so, Koga’s words soothed her more. Hearing him mention the time, she looked up through the trees and saw that it was getting darker by the moment. Then she looked up at Koga, whom she was still clinging to.

Several seconds pass, before Ghost realized how the scene might appear otherwise. Blushing deep red almost instantaneously, she let go and fell back from an anxious reflex, smiling from embarrassed humor and patting her cheeks. Giving Koga a simple nod, Ghost went to pick up whatever belongings she had set aside while they fished, and waited for Koga to join her.

Ghost didn't move or say anything for a couple seconds. As if she hadn't heard him. Koga was about to repeat himself when she suddenly sprung back violently, her face cherry red as she slapped her cheeks. Koga suppressed a small sound of amusement as he watched the girl, his eyebrow arching upwards, accompanied by a small smile. Had she...fallen asleep? Waking herself up? Koga didn't think his hugs were that comfortable, but the man was struggling to find any other reason she would be smacking herself in the face right now.

The man groaned and stretched slightly as he stood, adjusted the sword on his belt, then looked over at Ghost, who seemed ready to go. "Alright, I think that's everything," he remarked before joining her. "Let's go."

Though he let Ghost take the lead, the swordsman kept pace with the smaller woman, staying at her side as Okami bounded just a few feet ahead of them, probably eager for their inevitable dinner. "Do you have a taste for anything particular tonight?" he asked, trying to take a mental inventory of what ingredients he had at home, and what he actually knew how to make. "I'm pretty sure I got stuff for sushi, salads, sandwiches. Maybe pasta, but I don't really know how to make any good fish pastas...maybe tacos or something?"

Was he rambling? He was probably rambling