[F16-PP] <<The Swashbuckling Buccaneer>>

really? was this man more worried about the state of his low quality shack than his own life? the same way dazia had wanted to scoff, so too did night wish to roll her eyes. except, the mess she'd made was more important for a conducive fight.

she'd expected the plunge her way, definitely, and yet hadn't expected to take another hit. now growling, reckless, and with a leniency to roam, night darted back to a spot where she was certain to avoid the pirate's next attack.

not that it mattered, but having room in her vicinity also allowed her a charge forth to his location. one swing, a powerful diagonal cut, and oathkeeper rang true, chiming as the rest of their target's health bar drained from an orange. the pirate's sneer transformed into a look of horror as a light enveloped his form.

he broke like glass in the space between them and the cargo. and night exhaled, pulling herself back together, thankful she hadn't forgotten the objective of the quest after their brief adrenaline rush. oathkeeper fell away, and the player turned to dazia, motioning to the shack's backroom with an open hand. "just loading and unloading whatever's been stolen now."

Spoiler

> POST ACTION: AoE-I

ID209051 | bd10 | -> Burlock

15 + 2 -2-4 = 11 EN

(21+3+16) * 15 = 600 DMG
600 - 80 = 520 DMG

[2,6] Burlock | HP: -305/1000 | DMG: 175 | MIT: 80 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | CD10+: [DoT: 30 DMG (2)] | BD9/10: +50/100 DMG, CD10+: PHASE | Disablement Immune

NIGHT | HP: 878/1080 | EN: 91/146 | DMG: 21 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 44 | LM: 2 | HLY/FLN: 16 | LD: 5 | BH: 55 | TAUNT
Dazia | HP 680/680 | EN 54/86 | DMG: 23 | MIT: 44 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 4 | Fallen: 8 | LD: 1 | Stealth Rating: 5

• 2 weeks later...

Dazia sheathed her weapon, irritated that she didn't get to land the finishing blow against the target. If anything, at least Dazia knew that the location her lead on the missing player case would take her to the "Obsidian Cove", whatever and wherever that may be. Perhaps an NPC might know the location.

Night would motion to the back room, where the stolen cargo was hidden away, stating the quest's next objective.

The fact that Dazia couldn't just stuff the cargo into her inventory was bad enough, it hurt that she was kind of small, too, as it caused the cargo to end up being bulky and difficult to handle. She set some cargo into the boat and saw an extra pair of oars. Looks like she'd be able to do her part for the trip back to the main Island...although the weight of the cargo might make it significantly harder, as Dazia's arms and hands were trained for combat, not rowing an encumbered dinghy.

Several minutes of moving cargo from the shack's back room over to the Dinghy later, as Dazia picked up one more crate of cargo to load into the boat, she heard a snap. She then looked around, and then noticed that after all that damage done to the shack during the battle, the structure had just ran out of time to keep itself together. "Damn it, not now!" Dazia thought. "Overdoing it" wasn't exactly a concern of Dazia's, but maybe this rickety structure's ridiculously low durability begged to differ. A wooden plank fell down from the poorly-built structure, and it would only be a short matter of time before the rest of the shack would follow, unable to hold itself from all the hits it sustained. Dazia rushed out with haste, but also just enough care to keep herself from tripping over and losing the cargo. She was able to slow her pace once she was out of the structure's range of collapse.

Dazia turned around to look back at what was now just a large pile of splinters and broken timber. "Whoever that 'Greybeard' the target mentioned is, it's his problem, now...if anything, making a new base of operations should keep him and any other goons of his occupied for some time." She remarked, before continuing to transport the last crate over to the Dinghy.

@NIGHT

she did wonder what exactly had been stolen. from the looks and sounds of it, dazia was having a difficult time ferrying each crate over to the dinghy -- and a part of night had wondered if multiple trips might've been needed with the vessel to complete the quest. after all, they'd just culled a multitude of pirates in opposition to a handful of players, and granted the vessel for the former was likely to be larger than what the latter had been issued...

it was the crumbling ceiling, that stray plank that had caught her attention, the woman picking up only a handful of items to carry outside -- the bulk of the workload had been handled by her ally. and night watched the roof for more signs of its dismantlement; her quick steps outside only spoke to her lack of hesitation for leaving this place behind. a pirate's shack for a hideout was never her style, any way.

the items she placed down on the dinghy were only secured to the other bulkier cargo once the shack had crumpled over -- stray pieces of rope could be salvaged from the wreck, and night took great care trying to tie the bulk together, listening to dazia muse on the outcome for the pirates. "likely they'll just use the ship they've got as their main quarters. pirates are like that, after all." once their haul had been fastened, she bid the two of them into the boat, grabbing onto the oars and starting to row once they were positioned.

though a tiring ride, the trip back to shore of the mainland was much shorter than from the edge of the pier itself. night took point on unloading the largest items that seemed to give dazia trouble earlier, though stopped as she realized how close they were to the settlement. she could only turn to her companion, at this point, head tilted as she leaned on their luggage. "so how do you keep your distance away from others, any way? i don't suppose being caught along hotspots while you're slowly travelling with these is good for you."

Night noted that it's likely the pirates will just remain on their ship to use as a base of operations. While this was true, it did beg the question, why would that lumber rubble that used to be a rickety shack end up being used as a base if their ship would have fared much better?

Best not to dwell on that, as there was a task at hand...but as short as the trip was, Dazia was peeved that her strength didn't seem to click with the use of the oars. Either that, or they were simply a bulkier pair. Was the system poking at her over her height? If Cardinal was to develop a "sense of humor", the playerbase might as well be doomed.

Night would ask a question, one that so happened to strike somewhere. "Mainly, I use stealth and keep my distance. I can't always remain outside the safe zone, due to certain leads I follow or quests I try to take, so having a teleport crystal at least helps. However, it's not like I'm a 'kill on sight' for most players, but most of them seem to be getting more and more wary when they find me. Only a handful are responding with hostility at sight, but so far it's mainly a group of maniacs and a trio of idiots who simp for Princess, despite the fact that she's taken. Then there's Freyd, and an assassin with a green cursor that dwells in the fourth floor. They're trying to kill me, too." Dazia explained. "Now that I'm saying it out loud, I suppose I've been a bit lucky so far...but I won't hold my breath or get my hopes up, there's no telling how far 'luck' will last, especially with Princess 'warning' people about me, if not sending them after my head." She noted, knowing that if something wasn't done soon about all of this, there would only be more trouble.

• 7 months later...

there it was. that 'princess' drop once again. night, still leaning on their cargo merely raised her brow at it -- and she would've been focused on ruminating upon such a queen bee character, too, until an even more fortunate name drop occurred.

"freyd," she reiterated, disdain with every bite of air. "an assassin? what do you mean he's an assassin, and why in the world would he want you dead?" sure, night glanced at the green cursor above dazia's head once more, and then back to the player's face, but no crime she could feasibly consider (in the moment) would paint such a terrible cost. and if someone from firm anima has a hand in it, the more suspicious it looked to night herself.

if she thought aloud as she worked the remaining crates, it was to ensure dazia knew that night wasn't playing when asking. "try explaining that to me again -- because it's definitely not got to be of that bounty of yours. that much i know of. whatever 'princess' you might be speaking of might want a pay check, but freyd's a name one would drop only on shadier business."

staring blankly at the surface of the last package from the boat, the player huffed, considering loosely. did that make dazia a shady player too?

"that makes you shady, too," night lied, pacing back towards where the rest of the cargo was deposited.

Edited by NIGHT

"And an Assassin." Dazia repeated. "Both Freyd and this assassin's cursors were green, so it was likely they only hunted killers. The assassin is a greater threat, and I didn't catch their username. They always used disguise, so I know nothing of what they look like, either...but they only seem willing to remain in the fourth floor from what little I know. Freyd, however, might be willing to keep an eye out to try and find me." She explained, irritation in her expression as she realized she didn't know very much about the most dangerous of her potential assailants. "I don't know if either of them are willing to give up their green cursors to kill me, and I'm not gonna stick around to take any chances with them. As for Freyd himself, since you asked specifically, my guess is as good as yours, save for the theory that he was turned against me by Princess. I guess this because I saw both of them with her, and it became clear to me that they were on her side during a short exchange before I escaped."

Dazia's fists clenched around the oars. "Princess is another matter. Her username is Krysta, and she's been a thorn in my side ever since I first defended myself against another player...because she just so happened to be related to the very player who first tried to kill me." She added. "And every time I defend myself against a killer or would-be killer, every name I cross off the monument, just makes her want me dead that much more. Also, she refuses to listen to reason anytime I or my name is involved." She continued, her voice slowly beginning to seethe with anger as she did.

Dazia's teeth were grit, and her fists were shaking with fury. "So what if people think I might be shady? At this rate, it's the least of my worries, and both this world and the real world are overpopulated by idiots!"

Following that outburst, she then stopped, and took a deep breath. Her hands were still shaking and clenched tightly around the oars, but less intensely this time. "But it's not like it's your problem, though, is it?"

in lieu of mishearing, night then did listen intently, keeping her mouth shut as she watched dazia's anger build within that minute frame of hers. the player couldn't help but wince, realizing the number of players after this other's head -- perhaps it would do the population some good to just scalp dazia off, after all? not that she would know, nor would be willing to do the deed. she simply nodded, arms folded, as it occurred to her that her little jab had seemed more like claws against skin.

"you're right," night returned, as she turned her body sideways to gesture to the already-complete pile of quest items. "it's not my problem at all." and as she started to walk off the beach, gesturing for her companion to follow, she spoke quickly, with an air of indifference. "but given that there's a common suspect between us, there would be reason to probe into your perspective -- 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', right? --or something like that."

her footwork took her up the steps towards the boardwalk, where she was certain to hand in their completion status at. "by the way," night added, glancing over to dazia, "i don't know who this krysta character is, either. i don't claim to care about your feuds -- but i've got a mind to listen."

• 5 months later...

Night agreed in the aspect that it wasn't her problem. Of course, she also seemed to suggest, despite the air of indifference in her words, that there was reason to hear out Dazia's perspective on the whole ordeal, over a common suspect between the two players. Only problem was, Dazia only had one encounter with Freyd, and thus wouldn't really have much to tell about him.

As Dazia followed Night, mentally ready to finish the quest and begin gathering intel on this "Obsidian Isle" that was mentioned earlier, she did at least have some words to spare in regards to Freyd. "As far as I know, he and the assassin were the only ones that have outsmarted me in this game. After my latest kill made out of self defense, over in the fourth floor, I began making my way over to the Starglades, a monster free environment that I was hoping to take refuge in and lay low in case Krysta began looking for me. I don't know how he guessed my course of action, nor do I have a way to outsmart that assassin." She explained. There were more details about her newer adversaries, but hopefully she could explain them clearly. "During the encounter, I heard the assassin's voice only once, yet it's as though it were a disembodied voice. Until I get the disguise skill, which the Assassin seemed to just love using, I'll have to steer clear from the fourth floor, because said Assassin seems to prefer staying in that floor only, as if it's her territory or something...and she seems dead set on killing me the first chance she gets." As discouraging as this seemed, her exterior did not show signs of being unnerved, despite the fact that she was very much unnerved and had no clue how she was going to contend with self-righteous individuals who could outsmart her. What showed on the surface instead, was irritation. "I don't know if Freyd had an extra on hand, or if he'd known, but when I brought Krysta's spy as leverage for my freedom when forced to walk into an obvious trap, he tossed the spy a teleport crystal, which the spy caught and used to escape...funny, now that I say that, I'm pretty sure it was his hands were bound, not his wrists...it's like everything me and my two allies tried was completely useless. He forced me to comply to his little game, honestly I'm lucky I even got out alive, despite the trap and confrontation happening within the floor's safe zone." 

Dazia didn't like to admit defeat in moments like this, and to her, there was nothing worse than being helpless in a world that demanded strength for those who wanted to get anywhere. Night added that she didn't know who Krysta was, nor did she care about the feud between them, but she had a mind to listen anyway. "...Well, as I've noted before, we've basically been enemies since before we even met. In our first confrontation, she tried to attack me, but I turned the tables quickly. Nobody took any damage, which was helpful since we were literally at a seasonal event hosted by an NPC, who didn't seem to like the idea of conflict showing up. It only got more complicated from there. A draw, a loss in which I barely escaped with my life, I still have yet to actually win a fight against her, duel or otherwise, now that I say it out loud." She explained, realizing just how lucky she was to still be alive after all this. "I mainly call her Princess because she just looks like one, and comes across as one to me. Seriously, it's like she walked out of a fairytale or something and lived in our world before coming here."

None of this, not a single bit, was anything Night would be concerned about. But if she was willing to listen, maybe speaking was for the better after all. If there was anything left to do with the quest NPC, it was likely that the two players would have returned to them at this point, most likely with the objectives complete.

involuntary manslaughter. then the assassin, on the fourth floor; night figured there were definitely a wide variety of individuals who found its environment hospitable, assassins included, but couldn't put a name to anyone who seemed to fit that description.

so she listened, still perplexed. the more she heard about freyd, the more it sounded like he was the type to plan for most, if not all contingencies, which was especially troubling if night ever had to deal with him in an aggressive capacity. what was worrying, too, was in the fact that dazia was followed to a safe location... for what? poor reputation? plus, the talk of spies and princesses just sounded political, despite it being a simple dispute between players, and if that clued her in on anything, it was on how seriously both parties were taking the conflict. night winced at the idea. player drama, indeed.

"and what," night returned with a scoff, expression of disgust and disbelief, "freyd's her knight? seriously, what is up with that story...?"

she shook her head, however. they were already on the way to informing the sailor of his retrieved goods, and that was all she knew and cared about. then night considered the idea of dazia being attacked, again, if firm anima's shadow were to intervene. "well if you think he's going to come after you again," she said, "then go ahead and grab me. on the other hand, the princess thing just sounds like harassment at this point. no thanks."

with an exhale, a friend request sent dazia's way, and a quick chat with the sailor afterwards, their quest was finally completed. night simply shuffled off towards the floor teleport, with a shrug, nonchalant, sent the other player's way. "yeah, i won't tell anyone you were here," she declared from over her shoulder, before facing the settlement proper. "no one to tell that to, anyway."

Dazia shook her head, equally disgusted by the thought. "Please, he doesn't even seem like the knight type." She remarked. "Even I don't know what's up with it all." Freyd might not have been "her knight" in all of this, but he was definitely one of Krysta's two most dangerous allies at this point. Dazia didn't know, nor did she care, about Freyd's motive. "It's not like he'd have a chance with her anyway, since she's taken...by my idiot cousin, Vigilon, of all people. Seriously, I don't understand what he sees in her, but it's not like I have a chance to actually see their dynamic when she goes into hostility just on the sight of me." She added. It was all so utterly stupid. "Not like he's the knight type either, though. He's not exactly a bad person, but he's such a dumbass." She finished, exasperated over the ridiculousness of it all. And to think it all began with self-defense...

Night noted that if Freyd or the Assassin were to try coming after Dazia again, that she could always grab her, but wouldn't be willing to help in regards to the conflict with Princess, which she considered to be harassment at this point. To Dazia, it was more like a seemingly never ending chase, but the point remained understandable. Dazia accepted the friend request that was sent to her, and gave a subtle nod. "Fair enough, I'll keep you posted if Freyd goes in pursuit of me again."

With the quest now complete, it was time for the two players to go their separate ways. Night declared over her shoulder that she won't tell anyone that Dazia was here, then she began heading over to the settlement proper. One last nod of her head in understanding, before Dazia would vanish from view, for she was hoping to take the scenic route for the time being. Who knows, maybe she'll catch a glimpse of this "Obsidian Isle" she'll soon be investigating along the way.

thread closing.

NIGHT

+ 10,143xp | (831 * 0.7 * 14) + 2000
+ 12,021col | (xp * 0.15) + 10500

Dazia

+ 4,908xp | (831 * 0.7 * 5) + 2000
+ 11,236col | (xp * 0.15) + 10500
+ Pirate's Treasure (2)

Spoiler

thread progression.

8310 words | 831 sects | group factor: 0.7 | [link]

quest rewards.