[F1-PP] To see the world <<The First Lesson>> (Soren, Zenshu, Teddy, Syra)

Soren was glad his father was on board for doing an adventure or quest together. He knew very little about his adoptive father, only mild mention from Rita while he aged into adulthood. The biggest concern Soren had to deal with was time. His father would spend hours at the toy store, essentially dedicating his life to his work. Although it would have been too much to request, Soren wanted to spend time with him. He had heard a few stories of ol' from his father, but he knew there were plenty of other ones that he hadn't been fortunate enough to hear. This might be his best chance to learn.

Now, his father was talking with Syra, a potential plan to meet at a diner or something. That might be best place the party could meet after doing adventures, to tell tales and build up their morale. Honestly, this was just like how Teddy described Dungeons and Dragons... they were the adventurers and now they were going to tackle a very large and elaborate dungeon to save people. 

Although Soren didn't speak, he was clearly focused in on the conversation. Then, his father spoke and looked over at him... the time passed, several seconds in fact. Soren knew the look, and it wasn't good. He was remembering something, something which for the briefest of moments put a sour visage on his face. Soren decided it would be best if he didn't acknowledge his father's stare and aimed his head down, acting as though he was still searching through the tall grass. Although he wasn't certain he could search the grass and find more chalk, it was a viable means of distraction. 

Then, almost as if queued, Syra bolted up a tree. Well shit, guess Syra decided she had enough... no wait, is she trying to climb to the top? Now, wh... OH, look at her, climbing to the top of a fucking tree to search for mats... honestly, thats a very clever idea, except that the game designed probably didn't think "Dammit, you know these players will think about the real world concepts of perception, so we should award them and design a search function giving them better chances at finding materials with the upper ground"... Wow, Syra, you really got high up there... how does it feel? Can you touch the fucking sun yet? The breeze is probably much stronger up there, so make sure to keep a firm grip on the tree limbs... Otherwise, make sure to shout "timber" as you fall! Soren smiled and called up, though he had no mind to climb up the tree himself. He feared it might bring back memories of his past, some of which he definitely didn't want flooding back. 

209502 | LD:3 (+0 Mats | 1/5 mats found)

-------

Word Count: 460

-------

Edited by Soren Rider
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The group appeared to be finally making some headway, a collection of materials found and stored away properly. He listened to their casual conversation, making some comments when he felt appropriate for him to jump in. His mind had begun to relax, enjoying the company, and he felt his entire body lose a tenseness he hadn’t even know he’d developed over the last little while. Shaking off the thoughts, he returned to the conversation just in time to hear the question about the time of day.

Raising a hand, he pointed up towards his right side, just above his head. “There should be a universal clock here. It’s connected to the in-game time, which is local to Japan…but it’ll give you an idea of what time of day it is. If you look up a bit you should see it, pretty much directly across from the health bar! A lot of the HUD information is just a matter of where you look, and being aware that it’s there.”

He settled back into his seated position as the conversation turned away, agreeing that a meal did sound enjoyable once they had finished everything here. He made a point of letting the group wander about, to get comfortable with being outside the Town – he wasn’t sure how familiar they were with the wildlands beyond the wall, but it had seemed like this was their first time out.

“Just be careful Syra! Don’t forget that fall damage is still a thing…and at that height…well, that would not be good! Maybe it’s best if we don’t climb the big trees right now? Just for safety sake!” He watched as the girl made her way to the top, before eventually returning to the ground safely. He gave a sigh of relief as she touched her feet on the ground, before letting his smile spread once more. “How’s everyone doing on their material search? Once we’re done here, we could either head back to the alchemist and complete the quest, or if you want we could grab some food before we finish everything?”

------

Word Count: 347

Syra began to, once again, scour the ground for more materials. She let her mind wander as she searched. How great it felt to bolt up the tree, the wind in her hair, the adrenaline pumping through her veins. Through out this whole experience, she had discovered what it was she was missing, risk. She had stopped taking any risk since the accident, since her parents were taken from her. Even since being trapped in this game, but today, nearly dying, almost falling out of a tree, putting even her own emotions on the line. She had never felt so Alive.
"Hey Teddy, what would you say to the need of thrill, and adventure in your life, in order to be truly living? I mean, for most of my life, I have been sitting in a wheelchair, being waited on by a nurse. Not having to really do anything for myself. And I felt dead, like there was nothing to live for. But here, nearly dying today, it has been the first time in a long time, that I feel like I am truly alive! Would you say the need for risk, is what makes living.... Living?"

She left the question there, even hoped it would spark a conversation from anyone else, but it was a thought she had, was risking your life, apart of what made you feel alive?

She continued on her search, and to her excitement, she saw a gleam amongst the waving grass blades, "YES! Finally found you little sucker!" 

She looked over to Zenshu as he was asking how the searching was. "If I keep going at this rate, I will be done soon enough, and whether it is before or after we finish the mission, getting food sounds like a great idea!"
She pocketed here material and kept on a searching.

ID209641 | LD:14 |(+1 MAT Found) 2/5 MAT

| word count: 307 |

Teddy was happy to listen to the various conversations going on. The fact that he was involved was more than enough to satisfy him. He smiled as he listened to Levi encourage the climbing  followed promptly with Zenshu condoning and warning against it. Come on, he thought She can't do this any more. The least we can do is encourage her and allow her to feel well about being able to do, now, what she couldn't do due to her injuries. I am sure it is a wild feeling gaining back the faculties once lost. expressing interests that she can't in the real world here. Though he wouldn't let that come out of his mouth, wouldn't want to bring the mood down. 

Looking around it seemed that his luck had run dry. No glint hit his eye and no material to be ]seen. “Whell that just wont do!” he said to himself as he turned from his search to see that at lease Syra had found one and progress was, in fact, being made. He gave her a hearty smile, then she asked him quite the interesting question.

“Whell that is a harder question then one mahght think” he said, a thoughtful tone to his voice. “Ah think that it is within everyone to find their own adventure. Ah fahnd adventure in the small things. What will be dropped off at the shop? Who might Ah meet when Ah visit Rita. Perhaps the Undertaker has some story, some crazy weave. But Ah think that The Fates weave the best stories. Things like this. When all is said and done, do you want to be the person that was cowed and frightened or do you want to write your name in history? Worst case scenario you die trying, you see the gates of Valhalla open to you and your name is written into the history books as someone who did their best. But that scenario is just the worst case. Best case scenario? Whell it is up to you to find your best case scenario, isn't it? Ah thing best case scenario, for me, woud be to seize the story, to wrahght a tale worth telling. So should Ah die, should this cruel world take me, should Valhalla call this old soul home…” He looks at Syra with a resolve but none the less tears in his eyes as he thinks about what could be, what will be one day. A day not far from now, when his age catches up to him. “Should Ah go home… Ah will be remembered as the man who did not back down. Who gave his all for his friends, and maybe, just maybe, made others lives better along the way. That is what drives me, what encourages me. Adventure is out there. What stories will you tell?”

________

209642 | LD: 6 (No mat) [3/5 Mats found]

-----

Word Count: 473

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell

Soren had just told Syra to climb the tree, even though he knew there was fall damage in this game. It wasn't because Soren didn't appreciate Syra or anything like that. He wanted to experience. He wanted to learn. He wanted to do, regardless of the risks still threatening them in this game. However, Zenshu spoke to Syra in the tree as though she were in danger of death from that height. Although she could take some damage from the fall, that alone killing her was improbable at worst. Zenshu was clearly a calm and wise addition to the party, which Soren appreciated. Syra was like the wild card, doing what she saw fit in the moment, which Soren also had no problem with. When it came to defining his father, Soren couldn't see him as anything but an ol' man striving to continue to live his best life given his age. For Teddy, age came with experience. Whether that experience could transfer to scenarios in this game, that would show itself soon enough.  

Soren listened to Syra and Teddy's conversation, though he didn't speak. His internal thoughts on the matter were loud, though Soren remained silent. Would I say that the need for risk is what makes living "living"? Shit, that is a deep question. I have heard people argue in college that living a good life would inevitably require conflict, but that life only has meaning if death is of real concern... That fucking sounds legitimate for an argument. Would that make immortality living without "living"? There would be no risk of death... Wow, I... 

Soren's thoughts were stopped by a few words his father said, tearing beginning to well up as he said them. 

Yup, you can definitely be remembered as the person who did not back down... but also assuming we actually make it all the way to the highest floor... 

Although the situation here is dire, the game is just as dangerous as surviving in the real world. I just want to live my best life here with my friends... it is better than having the responsibilities life in the real world would constantly throw at me. Here, I am living a better life. Why the fuck would I go back? 

Soren had begun to sit down, but he noticed Syra had found her second material. Fuck, even Syra is doing better than me. I hate being the one dragging down the party, why does it have to be me?

As Soren sat down, his hand brushed a small pebble to the side... He leaned back to look up at the blue sky, but the glimmer to his side caught in his peripheral vision. No fucking way, I go searching for a material for several minutes and finding nothing. I go to sit down and I find another piece of chalk? What the hell, how did the creator of this game program this kind of sick humor? Soren continued to lean back, picking up the piece of chalk with his right hand and putting his left hand over his face to cover his smirk. 

209659 | LD:11 (+1 mat | 2 Mats Found)

-------

Word Count: 519

-------

Edited by Soren Rider

The group had begun to find their movement in their search. From what Zenshu had seen, they were about halfway done with their material gathering, which meant that they’d soon be ready to head back into the town itself and either look for something to eat, or perhaps look at returning to the alchemist to complete the quest itself. Either way, Zenshu was more than happy to tag along.

‘It’s rare to find a group that you can get along with, so easily. But these three seem to…well, just that.’ He smiled at the thought, before turning his attention to a wolf that had started to inch its way towards them. He narrowed his eyes, pondering for a moment if the creature would leave them well enough alone, or if it would continue to push its luck.

Deciding the risk outweighed the worth, Zenshu drew his blade. Spinning it into the reserve handed grip, he rushed forward towards the wolf, letting the blade swing outwards in a wide arch. He aimed for the snout, intended to let the blade slink across it if the creature pulled back. He was far more interested in pushing it away from the group, rather than initiating any actual combat.

The creature – clearly realising it was outmatched, decided to turn tail and run, allowing Zenshu to return his attention to the conversation, just in time to catch Syra’s question for Teddy. He nodded, keeping silent as he listened to the elderly man’s answer, before looking at the two.

“Wise words, from someone whom has clearly seen so much. Thank you for sharing them, Teddy. I hope that we can continue to gain from your years of wisdom for the many days to come – and for the many beyond that, if at all possible!”

-----

Word Count: 298

Edited by Zenshu

Syra listen with great intend to the old man. His answer was profound and deep. It was so true, life itself was an adventure, at every turn, if you so chose it to be. Reflecting on her own reaction to the accident, how she shut herself out. Stopped caring, therefore stopped living. Was life about risk? Maybe, maybe no, but it was the choices you made everyday, to connect with people, get out of the house, and find joy in the life you had.
She smiled back at Teddy, and couldn't have agreed more with Zenshu, Teddy was indeed a wise man, with a lot of life and knowledge to give out.
Syra went right back to searching for some materials, and no such luck. Not a shimmer, a twinkle, nothing catching her eyes.
She heard sorean shout out in frustration, the cruel sense of humour the game master must have.
"I mean not to be that person, but the fact that we are all here like this, is proof enough they are twisted." She couldn't help but feel a tad annoyed herself. Why was it that when she really tried, she came up empty handed. "Sure wish things would be easier to find. Makes me wonder if the Game Master is watching us, moving materials on us, like a cat with a piece of string." She made her way closer to Soren, if he had just located a piece, maybe the chances she would find one there would be better. "So are you and Teddy both here like together? or did you just happen to stumble across each other, not knowing you both had joined this game?" Was it a pointed question? Yes, but Syra wanted to get to know these people more, and frankly Soren was still such a mystery for her.

Word Count: 304

ID209722 | LD:1 |(No MAT Found) 2/5 MAT

It is nice to see that they are accepting of my ideas. Though I hope it doesnt dissuade them either Teddy thought as he looked to his companions. Then something was said that made him laugh. “Whellll Ah tell you what, Ah cant guarantee mah lahfe out of hear, the ol’ doc says Ah need to lower mah cholesterol but Ah tell ya’ Ah just cant seem to convise mahself to let go of those spahsy scrambles. Ah mean really, tellin an old man lahke me to change? How dare he, Ah say! How Dare!” Teddy said in jest as he let out another honking laugh. “No but really none can say how many years Ah have left. I was always hard on mah body growin up. Ah cant help but wonder if all that money was worth the late nights, grewling hours, and strenuous activity. Not to mention that Ah never did let mahself heal if Ah got injured. Like ma always told me. ‘You are only allowed to be sick for 24 hours, 48 if you had surgery, after that you are fine’...” Teddy smiled “There Ah go a’ rambilin’ again.” 

He turned to Syra when the question was asked about Levi and himself. “Whell  Le…. sorry Soren had told me about the game system a while back. Ah got mahself one and got him one as a birthday gift. Ah didn’t know for sure that he had joined up until today though.” He looked to Levi as if to ask for verification of his memory. As he did he stumbled across another crystal, as though it had fallen from the sky. “Whell would you look at that, thats four for me. One more an’ Ah am done.”

209726 LD:20 (+1 Mat) [4/5 Mats Found]

-----

word count: 290

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell

Soren was still laying on the ground, his back now pressing the blades of grass down. His hand was over his face but he could see through the slits where his fingers were divided. The sky was a light blue, as the sun was still above them, casting it's magnificent light down upon the ground. Every once in a while, a cloud might pass above them, but it was quite infrequent. Soren's hair was long enough to sprawl out amidst the grass. He could listen well from his spot. But then, Syra began directing her conversation to him when she referenced the sick, twisted mind of the game designer. "Yeah, fucking great for us" Soren said at a whisper, quiet enough to be whisked away by the breeze. Syra began approaching Soren and asked if Soren and Teddy came into this game together or if it was by happenstance. Teddy gave his side, namely that Soren had spoken of the game and that he decided to buy the game for his birthday and a copy for himself. Soren lowered his hand from his face and nodded in agreement, though his gaze didn't waiver from the sky. "Technically I had no idea my ol' man had decided to get the game for himself, I was under the impression he would just listen to me ramble for the night and possibly buy me the game. Then, I expected him to go back to dealing with the toy store in the morning... I guess I was just moron to think that he wouldn't buy himself a copy." Soren let's out a sigh as he remembered the night in his head. Then he dropped his hand to his side, his thoughts drifting. "hey Syra, have you ever rode in a watercraft on the ocean?" He asked this because he had never the free time to go to the ocean, it was a foreign concept to him. He was lucky if he got free time with all the work he was doing to stay afloat. When his arm tapped the ground, he felt the odd shape of the chalk beneath his fingers. He didn't say he found another out loud, but rather pivoted his body and pocketed the chalk with his left hand. While on his back, he turned his head to look up at Syra, who he presumed would be standing above or right beside him. 

209732 | LD:17 (+1 Mat | 3 Mats Found)

-------

Word Count: 402

-------

Edited by Soren Rider
  • 2 weeks later...

Zenshu settled in and watched as the group chatted among one another, asking probing questions that he himself would’ve considered far beyond rude to enquiry about in this game. Still, they seemed happy enough, content to share their stories, their personal sides. So who was he to judge?

As the three continued towards completing their goal, Zenshu let his eyes drift across the fields, spotting a collection of nearby wolves. He could feel the itch, the desire to engage them. For a split second he considered it, before deciding it would be better not to antagonise anything with the others still hard at work.

“I’ve heard that the tail end of this quest is near the sea of this floor!” Zenshu caught the tail end of the question that Soren had posed, entertaining an answer of his own. “I was actually on my way there when we all met up. I wonder if they have you on a ship, or if it just so happens to take place near the docks…either way, you’re near the water for a time! I bet it has an absolutely wonderful view! Maybe we should all go there one of these days?”

He paused in thought for a second, before adding to his question. “Maybe we can all do the third quest together, if you’re up for it?”

-----

Word Count: 223