[SP-F1] <<First Lesson>> Into The Unknown

Floor 1
<<The First Lesson>>
Party Limit: 4 | 20+ Posts

Town of Beginnings Central Plaza

<< Sixteen Minutes Into The First Day>>

Keira maundered through the crowd of players, her ears bombarded by a terrible cacophony of screaming, yelling, and crying. Friends and lovers shouted for each other, each of their voices like a pebble dropped into an ocean, consumed and forgotten. The sun blazed behind the buildings, casting long, dark shadows over their panicked and solemn faces like fingers of an ominous unseen hand. Her head spun in circles, her mind was foggy as she tried to make sense of it all, to rationalize it. 

This must be a dream. Keira thought, her gaze lifting from the fine stone cut road of the central square up just enough to look upon the crowd once more, her eyes flickering with hope.

I must be dreaming. She reiterated, a wave of relief washed over her as she sighed.

I just need to wake up. She raised her left hand up to her neck and pinched down hard and… nothing. She felt panic’s icy grip begin to take hold of her heart once again.

Just wake up. Come on. She clenched her right hand and in one quick motion she sent her own mit into her face. She felt absolutely nothing.

“This cannae be happenin', it's not... it's no' possible... Why…?” She mumbled to herself, her breathing becoming shaky. Her heartbeat echoed in her ears, combining with the already deafening voices. She couldn't think straight, she had to get out of this place. Now.

She took off through the crowd, weaving past some, shoving past others until she charged out of the central square into a street that was at least slightly less packed than the plaza. She continued to run until her legs felt they would give out and sweat trickled down her forehead, and finally, she stumbled to a stop. Keira leaned against a wall, the only sounds left hanging in the air were her heavy breathing and the distant echo of the plaza. She was surrounded by storefronts and establishments with NPC’s looking on with cold stares, the only other people in sight were a few players who seemed to be just as lost and panicked as she was. She closed her eyes and tried to calm her racing thoughts. She had to figure out a plan, she couldn't just run blindly through this virtual world. 

Edited by Gildebrand

She opened her eyes and glanced around, her gaze landing on a well dressed man approaching another player. Keira narrowed her eyes and looked on with curiosity. She couldn't hear what he was saying, but his sudden approach surprised the young woman. The two began talking, in what appeared mostly one sided conversation, before being shoved by the other player who stormed off. The gentleman turned his gaze to Keira, who backed up a few steps as he began to approach. Once the two were within earshot, the man spoke.

“You there! Stop!” He called and she froze, perhaps he was talking to someone behind her?

"Pardon me, but I am in need of some assistance, and you appear quite capable." The man paused and heaved a quick sigh. Keira turned to look behind her, the alley was empty, confused she faced the man. “Me? Ye must have me mistaken fer someone el-” "My name is Dorian,” He interjected, her words cut off like a record scratch interrupting a song.

“...and I am the mayor of this town.” She stared at the man, confused by his absurd declaration. A sudden realization dawned on her, a strange realization that preceded outrage. This man was not real. 

“As part of those mayoral duties, I issued a small loan to a member of the community a few months ago. Well, the time to collect had come around and I-" The imposter awkwardly ran it's fingers through it's mustache. Maybe if she hadn’t realized what this thing was she wouldn’t have paid attention enough to notice, maybe the stress was getting to her, and maybe she was looking for a target for her frustration but Dorian’s movements didn’t look right: Like a shapeshifter’s imitation of a flustered gesture, beckoning one to believe that it too, was like you.

Edited by Gildebrand

"You see, I've forgotten who it was I loaned the money to.” Keira was brought back to reality as the man spoke again, and this time she felt anger. “Terribly embarrassing, I know, but I am a very busy man, and I cannot keep track of everything that happens. I'm sure you understand." With a wave of it's hand, the fake man continued, appearing not to notice the scowl on her face and the rage in her eyes. "Should you be willing to track down the loan recipient for me, and collect the col, I would be eternally grateful. Just, maybe don't let anyone else know I forgot who the loan went to?"

A menu popped up in front of Keira, which might have startled her if not for the fury building up within her:

<<The First Lesson>>

O | Accept     X | Decline

She wanted to hit this thing, she wanted to kill it and throw it into a ditch leaving it to rot. An agent of that sick man who trapped everyone here not even an hour ago. She bawled her hand into a fist and then… She paused, a moment of clarity in the storm of emotions. It was her understanding that if this is like any other MMO, doing that would not only invoke the wrath of the town’s guard, but killing it would do nothing. It would just respawn, or maybe this was one of those games where you couldn’t even attack in the towns and villages.

She closed her eyes, took a deep breath in, and exhaled slowly. Calming herself.

The logical thing to do, if this is real, if this nightmare isn't a dream, would be to go along with the game. Going against it would be like waging a personal vendetta against the tide. Besides, she needed to get stronger if she was going to be stuck in her longer than a few days. She raised her hand slowly and, with some hesitation, clicked accept. The pretender nodded. "Excellent, I knew I could count on you! You might start with Zackariah, the alchemist. He's often doing projects for the town, so it may have been him that borrowed the money." And with that, it dashed off to bother some other poor grieving player.

Edited by Gildebrand

She didn’t know where to begin looking, so she opened her menu and looked for the quest. She set it to track and closed the menu. The quest marker didn’t tell her where exactly, but it gave her a general area to search, a rather large area too. As she searched, she descended deeper into the sprawling jungle of and plastered brick buildings and stone walls, their rustic charm disappearing as the sun sank completely behind the mountains leaving a cascade of pinks, purples, oranges, and reds in its wake. The older looking buildings had muted brown shingles after years of bleaching by the sun, while the newer ones had red shingles that popped against the monotonous white imposing structures on either side of the thinning road. Occasionally, market stalls and carts dotted the road despite its increasingly compact construction, colorful awnings and pots, empty crates, and a variety of tools without a soul in sight.

She nearly missed it, the entrance appeared modest enough. The door was made of maple, with a brass handle and a small, decorative window. Above the door was a simple awning for shade, and a small sign that read “Zachariah's Remedies”. Overall, the exterior of the apothecary's workshop blended in remarkably well with the surrounding buildings, the small sign hanging above the doorframe and the smell of strong herbs and chemicals wafting from an open window were the only indicators that this was the place.

Keira cautiously opened the door, rows of shelves with potions, vials, beakers, and more extended from the far wall to a half meter from the front door. She stepped inside, and a voice called out in a disinterested tone. 

“Oh, hello,”

She turned to her right to see an old man boasting an impressive ivory white beard, he glanced up from a cup of foaming liquid to face her. She began to warily walk towards the counter he was working at, and could smell a sickly sweet smell coming from what she could only assume was the cup. 

Edited by Gildebrand

“I've come tae collect a debt frae ye, I think.” Keira proclaimed, taking slow steps towards Zachariah. He did not answer immediately, but he continued looking onward. 

“Are you here to order something?” He finally said, delicately moving his cup of strange liquid to the side. 

“I’m sorry, but I am currently swamped with orders, and I’m running out of supplies.” A spark of understanding glints in the man's tired eyes. 

“Would you gather a few materials for me? Flowers, herbs, rare woods, whatever you can find outside the city walls. I promise I’ll help you fill your order as soon as you return. In fact, I would be willing to show you how to do it yourself.”

“Hold on, that's no' part o' the quest.” Keira tried to retort, but as if on cue a sound played notifying of an update to the quest log. She took a peek at the new goals:

Find Zachariah ☑

Find 5 Tier One Quality Materials ☐

"O' bloody course it ain't that simple...” she muttered to herself, Keira sighed and rubbed her temples, that familiar feeling of being overwhelmed took hold, and with it doubts set in.

It’s a dream. Her mind whispered to her, without fear or panic this time.

You just need to wake up.

Just wake up.

Wake up!

“You again?” Zachariah interrupted her train of thought, startling a gasp out of Keira. “Have you those material’s I’ve requested? The sooner the better.”

She stared at the man before shaking her head, clearing her thoughts, contemplating her options one more time. She had to do something, she couldn't just sit and wallow like everyone else, if this is even real that is. She heaves a heavy sigh, before turning to speaking.

“D'ye know where I should start searchin'” Keira asks, waiting a moment for the NPC to respond.

“Oh, just outside the city's walls you can find all sorts of things lying about, but only certain things can be found in certain places. Like finding wood in a forest, gemstones on mountains, and herbs in grasslands and clearings.” Zachariah replied with a smile.

“Thanks a mil’.” Keira responded, turning to the door, and taking her leave.

Edited by Gildebrand

Her hud gave her no indication of where she might need to start as Keira made her way towards the town's gate, she couldn't help but notice the aimless, lost players drifting by, their expressions mirroring her own confusion and despair. The night was quickly chasing away the day, and Keira could feel its chill seeping into her bones. She rubbed her arms, and stopped a moment. She traced her fingers over the rough fabric of her sleeves, feeling the weight of the chainmail on her arms. The breastplate seemed to squeeze when she folded her arms together, making it hard to breathe.

A thought tried to surface in her mind, it felt urgent, but it seemed to slip away before she could fully grasp it.

She tugged at her sleeves and continued on to the exit. She quickened her pace, hoping that the movement would help clear her head. But as she approached the gates, the feeling only intensified. She couldn't shake the sense that something was off, that there was something she was missing.

Keira stopped in front of the gates and took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. She knew she couldn't let her anxiety hold her back. Even then, it’s just a dream, right? None of it was real.

It’s not real.

It’s not real.

It’s all in your head, you are dreaming.

But despite her efforts to convince herself, Keira couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that settled in her stomach. She took a step forward, then another until she was over the threshold of the gate, out into the unknown. After a while of walking, the cobbled road gradually gave way to the crunch of rough gravel, then the soft squish of soil beneath her feet. The lights of the town still shone in the distance, a beacon of warmth and safety amidst the darkness of the night. But she could not turn back now, not when she was already this far in.

She kept walking, her eyes scanning the landscape for any signs of danger or opportunity. The towering cones of earth and stone loomed above her, large enough to hold entire neighborhoods on their tops. It was a surreal sight, like something out of a painting. Keira thought of van Gogh's Starry Night and felt a wave of brief nostalgia wash over her.

But she pushed the feeling aside and continued on, determined to find something, anything in the grass. Zackariah mentioned herbs that grow in grassland areas, she was committed to find something at least, she wouldn’t return empty handed. 

But alas, despite her best efforts, her eyes did not seem to be as keen on finding these herbs as she was.

Spoiler

Roll ID: 212142    

Loot -4

Edited by Gildebrand

The clouds began to separate, revealing the moon and sky like a glowing pearl nestled in a bed of black velvet with twinkling diamonds scattered around it. The moon was full, and bright, it seemed to radiate a soft, ethereal light that cast a gentle glow over the landscape. In it, something caught Keira’s eye, a single solitary flower in a sea of green, it was purple and white, an orchid it seemed. 

She began to walk towards it, the tall blades of green parting with a gentle rustling sound. As she passed, the grass slowly closed back in, swallowing up her footsteps and leaving no trace of their passing. She stopped at the flower, knelt down, and plucked it delicately from the earth. And then, suddenly the flower vanished in a dim blue glow and soft whoosh.

Ping!

A notification appeared on her Hud:

Find Zachariah ☑
Acquire Tier One Quality Materials (1/5) ☐

Startled, Keira sat back on her heels and blinked a few times, trying to make sense of what had just happened.

I guess I did it.

She sighed, she got to her feet was still was trying to wrap her head around the fact that this wasn't just some crazy nightmare she was having. It had to be, there was no way any of this was real. She pushed the thought to the back of her mind, focusing on the task at hand and denying the mounting evidence to the contrary. She would figure out a way to wake up soon, she just had to keep moving forward. She got to her feet, brushing the dirt off her knees, and moved on.

Spoiler

Roll ID: 212184

Loot Roll - 11 Success

(OOC Note - I misclicked and hit roll dice instead of input box so no listed reason for the roll)

Edited by Gildebrand

The night dragged on, and her searching had yielded no results. An increasingly prevalent frustration began to settle in her core, and an hour had passed since she had left the town and her progress had come to a standstill. As she walked, she caught glimpses of movement in the distance. She squinted, trying to figure out what was causing it. As she watched, she realized that it was a group of small, rotund animals. Boars it looked like. Keira did not know if they were aggressive, so she opted for now to steer clear of them for now. She sighed and brushed a strand of hair out of her face, feeling the sweat that had gathered on her brow despite the cool night air.

But she kept moving due northeast towards a more forested section of the floor, and eventually, she saw another person. From far away, most of their face and figure were obscured in shadow, but they seemed to be walking with purpose, their long strides covering the ground quickly. Keira quickened her pace, hoping to catch up to them and perhaps for advice or directions.

As she got closer, she noticed that the figure was wearing a long, flowing cloak and carrying a greatsword.

"Oi! Hey!" Keira called out, trying to get their attention as she ran up next to them. 

“Sorry tae bother ye like this,” The figure stopped and turned to face her. The man was a bit older than her by a few years at least, but his features were difficult to tell in the shadowy light.

“I was wonderin’ if ye knew where I could find some herbs o’ sorts out here?” The man regarded her for a moment before speaking.

“Yeah, there is a clearing about a mile that way, I saw a few there. It looks like a good spot, but then again, I don’t know. I wasn’t searching for any.” He spoke, she noticed the same bewildered and confused look in his eyes that Keira imagined she might have. “Good luck and be careful.”

“Aye.” Keira responded, “Thanks, and best to ye.” She continued, walking in the direction the man pointed, waving goodbye. She couldn’t remember off the top of her head how long a mile was compared to a kilometer, but she assumed if she stayed on course, she’d recognize the clearing if she saw it.

Spoiler

Roll ID: 212185

Loot Roll - 2 | Failure

Edited by Gildebrand

She walked for a little under a half hour, the plains that surrounded the town began to sputter out, yielding to majestic trees of oak and cedar. Their canopies stretched into the night sky, leaves fluttering in the light breeze as their moonlit dapple shadows followed close behind in tandem. She stopped at the wall of wood, leaves, and shrubs looking on into the dark forest. Crickets chirped, their shrill tone filling quiet night, lightning bugs flew around the forest, illuminating it with a hazy dim yellow glow.

How am I gonna find anything in there?

It’s too damn dark.

Keira narrowed her eyes, but they refused to focus, instead they played little cunning tricks on her mind, making the shadows move instead of taking a solid shape. She gave a long, deep breath, and began to walk forward.

Just find the clearing, it will be bright enough to search there.

As she entered the forest, the atmosphere changed instantly. The air felt heavy and thick, suffocating her as she walked deeper into the trees. She could hear the rustling of leaves and branches underfoot, the creaking of branches above her head. Despite the darkness, Keira could feel a sense of life all around her, aside from the crickets and lightning bugs, she saw the form of an owl or something vaguely similar swoop down in the dark, silently snatching something off the forest floor, which let out a panicked squeak in response.

The smell of pine and damp earth filled her nostrils, and she could feel the coolness of the night air on her face and hands. But as she walked, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched. Every now and then, she would catch a glimpse of movement in the corner of her eye, but when she turned to look, there was nothing there. Her mind was playing tricks on her, the shadows taunted her, but nothing had actually come to face her. The anxiety was threatening to consume her, but despite the nerves, she kept moving. Keeping an eye out for anything that stood out against the thick heavy veil of darkness, but it was nearly impossible. Keira silently cursed herself.

I should have brought a torch.

Spoiler

Roll ID: 212186

Loot Roll - 5 | Failure

Edited by Gildebrand

Keira stumbled through the darkness, her feet hitting the ground haphazardly as she tried to make her way through the dense forest. Her fatigue was starting to catch up with her, struggling to keep her eyes focused on her surroundings, she walked right past another flower, something she would have noticed had it not been so dark and so tiring. She was so focused on putting one foot in front of the other that she didn't even notice the stream until she stepped right into it, a gentle current rushed around her ankles, icey and cold.

She let out a startled cry as she stumbled and nearly fell, her arms flailing wildly as she tried to regain her balance. The cold water sent her out of her exhausted adrenaline induced state back into full consciousness as she tripped backwards back onto solid ground, landing with an ungraceful thud. She sat there a few seconds, pondering.

If I didn’t see or hear the stream, how am I gonna find what I’m looking for?

What am I gonna do if something finds me?

She decided stumbling around in the dark wasn’t the best idea, and got to her feet, and turned back the way she came. She turned southwest and began to stride forward, but then she hesitated.

Which way did I come from again?

It was all starting to feel so confusing and disorienting.

Spoiler

Roll ID: 212200

Loot Roll - 2 | Failure

Edited by Gildebrand

She had decided to just pick a direction and walk, and she did so in what she thought was a straight line for ten minutes, and somehow, by some stroke of luck, Keira stumbled upon the clearing, a small patch of open space in the dense forest. She let out a sigh of relief, grateful for the moonlight that had been cast unfiltered over the clearing, illuminating the area with a soft white glow. She took a few steps forward, her boots sinking into the soft, damp earth.

The clearing seemed empty at first glance, aside from some large rocks and boulders, the largest being on the far side of the clearing from where she entered. Some were no larger than a person’s head, and others were larger than a car. They appeared weathered by water and time, but they did bring a rugged sort of beauty to the moonlit clearing. She felt relief wash over her yet again. She found it.

Alright, gather what you need and go, no need to be here any longer then you need to.

Keira began her search at once, turning over small rocks, searching in bushes, everywhere one might search for herbs or ingredients. All she found was some dark green moss that grew on the side of one of the boulders. She scraped it off with a smaller pointer rock, and just like the orchid from earlier, it vanished with a whoosh.

Find Zachariah ☑
Acquire Tier One Quality Materials (2/5) ☐

Frustrated, she sat down on a rock that faced a gnarled tree towards the west side of the clearing, going through loops in her head.

Well, this was a massive waste of my time.

She pinched the bridge of her nose with her fingers, and ran them down her face letting out a long disappointed sigh. She was tired, cold, and now a little hungry, and she had made little progress in the past hour. Keira fell back onto the rock, her feet dangling a few centimeters off the ground, the grasses rubbing against the soles of her boots. The night sky danced for her as she watched. She closed her eyes for a moment, and…
She heard something rustling in the bushes and a low snorting sound, she groaned hoping the loud noises would stop, it took almost a full minute for her senses to catch up. Her eyes shot open, the moon had moved a considerable distance.

Did I fall asleep?
I’ve never fallen asleep in a dream before.

The low snorting sound resumed as she sat up and looked towards the gnarled tree, its roots jutting out of the ground like twisted fingers. Beside it, was a boar, it faced her, snorting at her, stomping its hooves.

“Och, hello wee laddie.” She said, slowly getting to her feet as she put up her hands, the animal stomped its hooves again.

“I was just gonnae take me leave.” Keria continued, backing up as she faced the beast. Moving around the boulder she had unfortunately fallen asleep on. “Bye.”

Once line of sight had been broken, she quickly jogged out of the clearing.

Are you an idiot Keira? 

Her subconscious scolded her,

At least you’re not tired anymore.

She shot back.

Spoiler

Roll ID: 212219

Loot Roll - 19 | Success!

Edited by Gildebrand

Keira jogged her way back through the dense trees, her heart racing as she tried to put as much distance between herself and the snarling boar as possible. She didn't stop until she was certain she was well out of the clearing, her breathing coming in ragged gasps as she tried to catch her breath. As she slowed to a walk, she looked around, trying to get her bearings. She realized with a start that she had no idea which direction she had come from. She turned in a slow circle, trying to orient herself, but everything looked the same in the darkness.

Finally, she spotted a dirt trail winding its way through the dense woods and decided to follow it, hoping it would lead back to the fields where she at least had the advantage of sight. As she walked, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched, and she kept turning to look over her shoulder, expecting to see the boar lurking in the shadows. But every time she looked, there was nothing there.

It’s just your nerves.

Focus.

It’s just a pig, it’s not gonna follow you.

She reassured herself.

After what felt like an eternity, Keira emerged from the forest and onto the grasslands, the suffocating thick atmosphere of the forest giving way to lighter and cooler air that enveloped her as she stepped out into the open. She felt a sense of openness and freedom as she did so. Keira could see the strange earthy funnels and the town far off in the distance, and with it a reminder.

You’re dreaming.

Her mind once again told her.

I am dreaming right?

Just a dream, just a weird dream.

She reassured herself, denying the evidence that had been building up until now.

Just dreaming.

She looked back at the forest, straining her eyes to see if she had missed anything, but everything was shrouded in darkness. With a sigh, Keira turned and continued on her way, she had made a change of plans and decided to head behind the town while searching on the way there.

Spoiler

Roll ID: 212221

Loot Roll - 3 | Failure

Edited by Gildebrand