[F09;SP] Hunting the Hellstorm

"What the-" The words barely made it out of Nari's mouth as she let her momentum tip her, forcing her hard into the ground - but avoiding the retaliatory strike that had been coming her way. While her own attack had missed the vulture, Nari had also avoided being impaled by the thing's second talon, which had made its way overtop of her weapon and directly towards her face. 

"Drive it back! I need to reset myself..." Nari rolled to her feet as she called out to the blonde, forcing herself to stand and bring her weapon back into its ready position. She eyed the vulture as she considered her next move, knowing that the thing was ready for most attacks she could throw at it.

Giving way to fate, she rushed forwards towards the vulture, a spring in her step even as she came at it head-on. The thing was still fighting with Onóra, the blonde keeping it at bay even as it tried to leave the ground behind. As she came up behind Onóra, Nari called out, the scythe already in motion as she trusted her friend to react immediately. "Duck!"

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 55/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 40/24 | -10 EN
Pyre Vulture 3 | HP: 0/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG]

ID212268 | BD: 9+5=14 | <<ST-I vs. Pyre Vulture 3>> | Minor Critical Hit: (20+1)x12+40(Static) = 292 damage | Target destroyed 

Spoiler

Looting
ID212269 | LD: 5+4=9 | CD: 8 | Results: 2 materials, 768 col, Rare Trinket (1), Additional Col (384)

Hellstorm {1} | T2 Unique Consumable | Apply 20*Player's Tier DMG to every attack (as Phase damage) for a single thread.
Materials: 22
Col: 7,698

Rare Trinket (4) [ID212247; 212265; 212266; 212269]
Perfect Trinket (1) [ID212264]

Perfect Armour/Shield (1) [ID212248]
Perfect Weapon (2) [ID212248]
Rare Armour/Shield (1) [ID212249]
Rare Consumable (1) [ID212249]

She let out a breath as the final vulture exploded into the air, leaving the two women standing alone in the rocky terrain. Onóra gave her a quick thumbs up, before checking her menu quickly, leaving Nari to glance around. They'd managed to clear two of the mobs, but she figured they could easily take out something else while they were here - if they had the desire to do so. Her eyes roamed the area, looking over elementals and more of the vultures, before landing on a nearby group. Her body shifted to move, when Onóra spoke up, stopping her mid-movement. "Maybe a bit of a break? That last fight pushed me a bit more than I'd like...can't all be powerhouses like you and just keep going non-stop."

Nari blushed in response, before nodding. She'd entirely forgotten that Onóra was still below her in level, and that what seemed easy to Nari would be far more difficult for the blonde - a key factor that could definitely lead to disaster if Nari wasn't more careful. Pay more attention, you're not the only one here anymore and not everyone has advanced through the levels like you have - some people are still playing catch up... She settled in next to Onóra even as she silently berated herself, smiling at her friend as she leaned back against a rock that had collected the heat from the nearby lava rivers - warming it nicely to the touch, and causing some of the tenseness that had built up in Nari to dissipate slightly. 

"I don't know how you do it...just going and going and going. I was tired like four fights ago..." Onóra shook her head in disbelief as Nari glanced over at her questioningly. She hadn't considered the fact that she had been pushing her friend too hard, and now that it had been stated aloud, she felt horrible for not realising it sooner. " I know that look. Don't worry about it, I'm fine. I just wasn't expecting to engage in...crossfit meets video games today."

"Sorry...I just kinda...kept going, you know, cause they were there. If it's too much let me know, I can solo a few of the mobs for a bit, or we can head back. I mean, it's not like I need anything else, it's just an added bonus at this point."

Onóra laughed in response, waving a hand in the air as if shooing something away. She shook her head, before settling in against the rock, and Nari. The warmth of the air had already been pressing in against Nari, making her uncomfortable, but the extra body heat was enough to make her thankful that the system didn't allow them to sweat. A brief second of consideration, and then she was pushing back against the other woman, trying to ignore the heat and find a comfortable position.

"Nah...I just need a break. And this damned heat isn't helping, either. Why did they have to make this place so hot? I mean, a lava floor of all things...couldn't go somewhere nice, eh?" The blonde poked her in the side even as she jested. Nari rolled her eyes, before letting her head fall backwards against the rock and her closing her eyes - trusting that she would hear anything coming before any sort of danger could come down upon them. "At least it's not freezing cold here..."

"Hey...I like the cold. At least in the cold you can bundle up and make fires and stay warm. In the hot, you can only strip down and then suffer." Nari shot back, not opening her eyes. The blonde laughed at her retort, as if highly amused at the way that Nari had gotten defensive. 

"Strip down...so that's where your mind is at. Good to know." The laughter that followed - erupting from both of them - made the joke more amusing to Nari; the fact that they had equally come to the same conclusion, that their minds were linked together on a wave that she should've expected and yet somehow didn't. It was...real, in a way that Nari couldn't describe. It's like being home.

The silence fell between the two of them for a while, content to set it rest and simply enjoy the comfort of one another. Nari felt herself slowly falling asleep; the combination of the warmth in the air, the rock and just the general tiredness she was feeling after the conflict finally getting to her. It wasn't long before the inactivity got to Nari, and she found herself fidgeting in place, trying desperately to remain still and yet unable to do so. 

"Alright...fine, I get it. You can't stay here any longer, let's go do something." Onóra sighed even as she forced herself up, Nari quickly following her to her feet. The blonde waved a hand at the nearby collection of vultures, the ones that Nari had been eyeing on and off over the last little while - something she had thought she was being subtle about, but had apparently failed to pass the notice of her companion. "Go on, I'll follow."

Nari didn't wait, breaking into a run towards the vultures in a movement that clearly bespoke the energy she had been holding in for the last little while. Her burst of speed must have caught Onóra by surprise, because when Nari glanced back, the blonde was still standing there, just beginning to draw her sword, a look of shock on her face as she realised she'd been left behind in earnest. She'd have to apologise later, but for now Nari knew there was a mob to face - which meant her attention needed to be ahead, not just behind her.

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 81/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 40/24 | -17 EN
Pyre Vulture 1 | HP: 92/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG] | Stunned
Pyre Vulture 2 | HP: 144/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG] | Stunned
Pyre Vulture 3 | HP: 80/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG]
Pyre Vulture 4 | HP: 144/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG] | Stunned

ID212286 | BD: 9+5=14 | <<Tech-F vs. Pyre Vulture 1>> | Minor Critical Hit: (20+1)x12+40(Static) = 292 damage | Stunned
ID212287 | BD: 6+5=11 | <<Tech-F vs. Pyre Vulture 2>> | Hit: 20x12 = 240 damage | Stunned
ID212288 | BD: 10+5=15 | <<Tech-F vs. Pyre Vulture 3>> | Major Critical Hit: (20+2)x12+40(Static) = 304 damage | Stunned
ID212289 | BD: 4+5=9 | <<Tech-F vs. Pyre Vulture 4>> | Hit: 20x12 = 240 damage | Stunned

Spoiler

Looting
N/A

Hellstorm {1} | T2 Unique Consumable | Apply 20*Player's Tier DMG to every attack (as Phase damage) for a single thread.

Rare Trinket (4) [ID212247; 212265; 212266; 212269]
Perfect Trinket (1) [ID212264]

Perfect Armour/Shield (1) [ID212248]

The vultures scattered as Nari approached, spreading out in numerous directions in order to avoid her reach - or at least, in an attempt to avoid her reach. She let the scythe slip ever so slightly in her grip as she brought it around in a twirl, just enough that the reach extended to catch the first two of the flying vultures and send them slamming into the ground as the weapon came around; the force carrying through and using her momentum to cause the stun effect on the two creatures without fault.

Nari spun again - turning to face the two other vultures that had managed to slip to her right side, clearly hoping to catch her open as she dealt with their twins. Instead, she brought the scythe up and in front of her, giving it a strong underarm swing in an attempt to slam the point into the bottom of the first vulture. Instead the creature dove to the side, leaving its partner unaware of the weapon that was coming directly up towards its face. Nari didn't even try to stop it - the top of the haft catching the beak and causing the vulture to twist abruptly before collapsing.

The final one dodged under her assault for a few seconds, before Nari was able to slam the butt of the haft into its chest, giving her a brief second as the stun took effect. She stepped to the side, letting the scythe fall back into a ready position behind her as the first couple of vultures picked themselves up off the ground; their eyes turning towards her as they slowly collected themselves. "Well, come on then. Let's do this."

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 68/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 40/24 | -17 EN
Pyre Vulture 1 | HP: 0/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG]
Pyre Vulture 2 | HP: 0/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG]
Pyre Vulture 3 | HP: 0/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG]
Pyre Vulture 4 | HP: 0/384 | DMG: 128 | ACC: 1 | Burn [T2; 28 DMG]

ID212290 | BD: 2+5=7 | <<Tech-F vs. Pyre Vulture 1>> | Hit: 20x12 = 240 damage| Target destroyed
ID212291 | BD: 9+5=14 | <<Tech-F vs. Pyre Vulture 2>> | Minor Critical Hit: (20+1)x12+40(Static) = 292 damage | Target destroyed
ID212292 | BD: 5+5=10 | <<Tech-F vs. Pyre Vulture 3>> | Hit: 20x12 = 240 damage| Target destroyed
ID212293 | BD: 10+5=15 | <<Tech-F vs. Pyre Vulture 4>> | Major Critical Hit: (20+2)x12+40(Static) = 304 damage | Target destroyed

Spoiler

Looting
ID212294 | LD: 12+4=16 | CD: 11 | Results: 2 materials, 768 col, Rare Trinket (1), Additional Col (1,152)
ID212295 | LD: 17+4=21 | CD: 7 | Results: 4 materials, Perfect Armor/Shield (1), Perfect Consumables (2)
ID212296 | LD: 11+4=15 | CD: 2 | Results: 2 materials, 768 col, Rare Trinket (1)
ID212297 | LD: 16+4=20 | CD: 6 | Results: 1,536(768x2) col, Perfect Armor/Shield (1), Perfect Trinket (1)

Rare Trinket (6) [ID212247; 212265; 212266; 212269; 212294, 212296]
Perfect Trinket (2) [ID212264; 212297]

Perfect Armour/Shield (3) [ID212248; 212294; 212297]
Perfect Consumable (2) [ID212295]

The explosion of shards glittered against the red glow caused by the numerous lava rivers and volcanic eruptions in the area, each seemingly glittering in a shift of blue and red as they slowly fell towards the ground before disappearing from sight entirely. Nari took a few steps towards Onóra, smiling as she glanced around at the now empty area that they stood in. They'd managed to clear away a good portion of the naturally spawning creatures, as well as the field boss in only a couple hours of time - something that Nari knew the two should be impressed about.

"We survived. Guess that's a good start." Onóra settled down against the rock they had originally been laying against, seemingly content in waiting. "So...now we wait for the return of the big bad phoenix, right?"

Nari shrugged, moving to join the blonde on the ground. There wasn't much else to do, and if her estimations were right it would likely reappear shortly - so it only made sense for the two of them to stay in the area. "Might as well, I mean it's worth having the drops. Especially with the upcoming floor boss...which I'm sure we'll locate sooner or later..."

Her voice lacked the confidence she had hoped it would have - they'd been searching the labyrinth for quite some time already, and yet no one had returned with the good news. Nari had begun to question if they actually would find the floor boss or not. We've managed this far, but...we're missing something this time around. Some clue, or hint.

"So that's your big plan, then? Join the assault against the floor boss once they frontliners have found it?" There was no judgement in her voice, no negativity about the concept at all. A simple question of fact, meant to bring clarity to her intentions and nothing more. 

"Mmm...that's the plan, yeah. Even got myself into a scouting party." She smiled gently at the thought. It was the second time she'd be attempting to scout the labyrinth, the first having faltered and failed after they all got separated and had to return without any success. She'd heard much the same from a few other parties - all had started, and slowly slunk back to civilisation without any word about the location of the floor boss.

"Oh...nice, congrats! I know this is what you wanted." Nari turned her head at the tone - an almost sympathetic tone, like one that someone would take when speaking about a loss, or other difficult situation. Onóra was staring at the sky above them, her expression carefully guarded, hiding something. 

Nari opened her mouth to ask, before snapping it shut - she wasn't even sure what to ask, and knew that pressing the matter may not be best for either of them. She didn't doubt that Onóra was worried; there was a danger to being on the frontlines - a danger that didn't exist in places like this. Anyone who took up the challenge, risked not coming back. Risked permanent death and loss. Leaving behind those who weren't there, or couldn't be there.

"Maybe...one day, you'll be there too?" The words were spoken softly, but Nari was sure that Onóra had heard. The blonde's body had twitched at it, and for a brief moment Nari wasn't sure if she was making things better, or worse.

"Maybe..." There was a hint of something in the response. She wanted to ask more, to confirm if that was what Onóra wanted, if there was any desire to be there. She didn't want to force her friend there, didn't want to put her on a path she didn't want to be on, and yet, she wanted badly for someone to be at her side that she could trust. Trust in a way that worked with no others. Maybe...

"Well, we better get you up there, then...shouldn't we?" Onóra suddenly said, before pushing herself to her feet. Nari glanced up at the blonde, who nodded towards the phoenix exploding from the lava river once more, spreading its wings in a shower of flaming liquid that seemed to disappear as it hit the ground. 

Nari quickly pulled herself to her feet, sending a brief smile towards Onóra before setting off in the direction of the phoenix. She put aside the considerations of Onóra, and what had her upset, promising to visit it again as soon as they'd defeated the phoenix once more. There was definitely something wrong there, but Nari knew she couldn't let herself be distracted from such a dangerous opponent - or, at least one that could be a dangerous opponent.

Circle back on it later, once you can sit down and go over it in earnest. Then we'll figure out what's going on, and what I can do...She nodded to herself, accepting the thought before putting it aside and giving her scythe's haft a light kick to force it into motion, closing the gap between herself and the phoenix.

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 820/820 | EN: 84/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | -14 EN
PhoenixHP: 845/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 90 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | Stunned | -130 HP
Ashborn | Upon dropping to 0 HP, the Phoenix’ health will go back to 225, and its DMG will be boosted to 110. This can only happen once per battle.
Inferno | On an MD 9-10, the Phoenix will rain fire onto its opponents, hitting the Player with the highest hate for 150 mitigatable DMG and applying T2 Burn to the entire party.
Tier Lock | For the duration of the fight, all of the participants’ stats that scale with Tier are calculated as though they’re Tier 2. [DMG/MIT/BLEED enhancements etc.] This skill only locks downward. Those at Tier 1 will still have T1 stats.

ID212314 | BD: 10+4-2=12 | <<Tech-A vs. Phoenix>> | Major Critical Hit: (8+2)x16-50+20(Static) = 130 damage | Stunned

The blade connected with the phoenix, causing it to freeze in place as Nari's companion came rushing up the far side, slamming her longsword into the phoenix and forcing the health bar down further. Already, things were going well - reminding Nari that this thing wasn't nearly as dangerous as she'd worried about, originally.

Don't let your guard down. Don't forget what happened... She shook her head, she couldn't be thinking about that memory, not now. Instead, she chose to focus on the phoenix, on the things eyes that stared at her with a fury that Nari could only guess at. 

"Wait for it to come out...then rush it." She spoke without looking at her friend, without seeing the nod in understanding or the tightening of the grip on the longsword's handle. Her own scythe lay behind her, held in a ready stance as she breathed in deeply, before launching into motion the moment that the creature had twitched.

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 760/820 | EN: 75/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | -13 EN -60 HP
PhoenixHP: 727/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 90 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | Stunned | Shatter [-20 MIT; 1/3] | Static [20; 1/2]| -118 HP
Ashborn | Upon dropping to 0 HP, the Phoenix’ health will go back to 225, and its DMG will be boosted to 110. This can only happen once per battle.
Inferno | On an MD 9-10, the Phoenix will rain fire onto its opponents, hitting the Player with the highest hate for 150 mitigatable DMG and applying T2 Burn to the entire party.
Tier Lock | For the duration of the fight, all of the participants’ stats that scale with Tier are calculated as though they’re Tier 2. [DMG/MIT/BLEED enhancements etc.] This skill only locks downward. Those at Tier 1 will still have T1 stats.

ID212315 | BD: 10+4-2=12 | <<Tech-D vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: 8x16-30+20(Static) = 118 damage | MD: 7+2-3=6 | Hit: 90-30 = 60 damage 

Onóra did exactly as Nari suggested, the blonde's hands tightening on the longsword's grip as she kept herself still - Nari could see the tension in her arms, her legs, even her back as the two of them waited. She wanted to say something, to try and alleviate that stress, knowing that it building up was bad. She wasn't given the chance, however, as the phoenix suddenly lurched towards them, causing Onóra to launch into action, the blade coming up to parry the twin talons.

Nari didn't hesitate - the moment Onóra had launched into movement, she followed. Her scythe trailed behind her, coming around in a short arc to whip at the phoenix even as Onóra slid underneath it - the momentum carrying her across to the other side to pop up behind the creature. 

Nari took advantage of the fire bird's confusion, letting her scythe aim for the centre of its chest, hoping to slam through the flames and tear apart more of the health bar that had already significantly dropped. 

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 568/820 | EN: 66/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | -13 EN -238 HP | Burn [28; 1/2]
PhoenixHP: 589/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 90 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | Stunned | Shatter [-40 MIT; 1/3] | Static [20; 1/2]| Stun Immunity [2/3] | -138 HP

ID212324 | BD: 7+4-2=9 | <<Tech-D vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: 8x16-10+20(Static) = 138 damage | MD: 9+2-3=8 |Minor Critical Hit: 90+150+28-30 = 238 damage 

The movement had caught the creature almost perfectly, leaving it open for Nari's scythe to slam into its side and tear away some of the flames that acted as a protective coating around it. She could almost feel the vibration from the shriek as the creature let loose a call of pain, causing Nari to take a single step backwards.

Before she could see what was happening entirely, a wave of heat slammed into Nari, forcing her through the air a few metres to collapse on the ground, rolling slightly before coming to a sudden stop. Slightly dazed, she pushed herself to her knees, shaking her head and looking around before finding her scythe an arms reach away. 

She forced herself to her feet and rushed to the scythe, rolling and picking it up even as the phoenix rushed towards her - the creature entirely ignoring the blonde that chased after it in an attempt to intercept it. Still shaky from the toss, Nari tried to bring her weapon up to defend herself - letting it swoop in a wide arc towards the phoenix that hovered above her, slowly getting closer to her.

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 586/820 | EN: 56/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -14 EN -28 HP | Burn [28; 2/2]
PhoenixHP: 451/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 90 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | Stunned | Shatter [-40 MIT; 2/3] | Static [20; 2/2] | -138 HP

ID212325 | BD: 5+4-2=7 | <<Tech-A vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: 8x16-10+20(Static) = 138 damage | Stunned

The creature didn't even try to avoid her attack, flying straight into the side of her blade as she brought it around, causing her to catch the thing midair and whip it towards the ground a metre away. The phoenix lay there, stunned, for a few seconds giving Nari the time to get to her feet and Onóra the chance to reach her side.

"Are you okay?!" Her voice was filled with concern, and a slight hint of panic - something that made Nari smile in response. A quick check told her she was fine, albeit a bit beaten. 

"Yeah...I'm...alright. Enough so to finish this..." The assault against her had left her a bit shaken - it always did, when she was tossed around like it was nothing. There was no amount of experience, at least in Nari's case, that could prepare her for being picked up and thrown. It was simply something she had learnt to push aside for the moment and carry on through as best as she could. "Come on...let's get this asshole."

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 572/820 | EN: 47/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -13 EN -60 HP 
Phoenix | HP: 323/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 90 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | Stun Immunity [1/3] | Shatter [-60 MIT; 1/3] | -128 HP

ID212325 | BD: 5+4-2=7 | <<Tech-D vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: 8x16 = 128 damage | MD: 8+2-3=7 | Hit: 90-30 = 60 damage

The two rushed towards the phoenix, Nari going left as Onóra shifted to the right of the thing, trying to flank it on both sides. Not to be caught in a box, the thing took to the air, sailing straight down the centre between the two women, before flipping itself up and around in a wide arc - avoiding their twin attacks with ease, but placing itself out of reach for its own retaliation.

"Stupid thing...that's cheating!" Nari yelled at it, shifting herself in preparation for the return path it would likely take. She planted her feet, spreading out her weight to balance herself better, and getting slightly lower to the ground. Beside her, she could see Onóra mimicking the movement, lowering herself and bringing her longsword up in a parellel hold.

The phoenix either didn't notice, or didn't care, as the two set themselves. It simply spun around, and began its path back towards the two, flying across the open rocky terrain without a concern for the threat it was bearing down upon. A mistake that Nari was hoping she could jump upon. 

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 618/820 | EN: 38/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -13 EN
Phoenix | HP: 167/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 90 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | Stun Immunity [2/3] | Shatter [-60 MIT; 2/3] | Burn [-28; 1/2] | -156 HP

ID212327 | BD: 5+4-2=7 | <<Tech-G vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: 8x16+28[Burn] = 156 damage | MD: 3+2-3=2 | Miss.

It flew straight towards her, even as she activated the flames along the blade of the scythe. Oblivious to the danger it was putting itself in, as it raked its talons forwards, trying to tear Nari to pieces. Instead, it met open air as Nari slid beneath the creature and let herself come up on the opposite side, spinning the second she had pushed herself from the ground and bringing her weapon in a wide arc.

She felt the reverberation as the weapon slammed into the side of the phoenix, and purple flames met orange. The creature shrieked again as Nari skipped backwards, putting herself some distance away as Onóra took her own stab at the creature's centre. The blade disappeared a quarter of the way into the creature before the blonde pulled it out, stepping back and putting distance between herself and the phoenix.

Nari gave one single glance at her friend - making sure she was a safe distance away - before bringing herself a step forward and twisting the scythe into a wide spin, the haft held loosely in her hands to let it slip towards the base. 

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 426/820 | EN: 29/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -13 EN -238 HP
Phoenix | HP: 11/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 90 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 |  Shatter [-60 MIT; 1/3] | Burn [-28; 2/2] | -156 HP

ID212328 | BD: 4+4-2=6 | <<Tech-D vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: 8x16+28[Burn] = 156 damage | MD: 9+2-3=8 | Minor Critical Hit: 90+150+28-30 = 238 damage 

Her mistake was obvious the moment she saw it - the scythe sliding from her grip and slamming into the phoenix with force enough to cause it damage, causing the creature to shriek again in pain and frustration. At the same time, it released a current of heat and flames that slammed into Nari, forcing the woman off her feet and into a nearby rock. The wind knocked from her again, Nari felt herself struggle for a few seconds, consciousness barely in her grasp as she tried to stay awake and alive. 

When she managed to make it to her feet, her attention was pulled towards the sound of ringing nearby, the battering of steel against...something. Hazily, she turned to find herself staring at a blonde - longsword in hand and gnashes against her skin - fighting against the phoenix, barely holding it back as she slowly retreated towards Nari, the scythe at her feet sliding behind her.

Nari shook her head, trying to clear the fog. That's my scythe. The thought shocked her, and suddenly everything snapped into place, the phoenix above, the blonde, everything that was happening. Moving as quickly as she could, she dove for the scythe - her movements hindered only by the headache she was feeling - before rolling up and trying to swing an underhand strike at the phoenix above her.

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 472/820 | EN: 23/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -10 EN
Phoenix | HP: 225/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 110 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 |  Shatter [-60 MIT; 2/3] | -96HP

ID212329 | BD: 6+4-2=8 | <<ST-I vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: 8x12 = 96 damage | MD: 6+2-3=5 | Miss

A single moment of relief, as the phoenix exploded into a fiery end. A split second as Nari felt elation at having finally defeated it, before remembering what came next. Slowly, too slowly, she turned to see the creature rebirthing itself from the embers of fire that had exploded outwards, the thing seemingly reappearing even as the health bar above it jumped back upwards.

"I fucking hate this thing...so much..." She whispered the curse, which brought a slight giggle from the blonde at her side. Without looking at her friend, Nari shifted her weight, planting her feet and preparing herself for the second half of the fight. They'd come this far, and Nari would be damned if they lost now.

"Just be careful...play this smartly, and don't over do it." She nodded at the commentary, not responding aloud as she watched the phoenix turn towards them and begin its charge. She was ready, or at least as ready as she was going to be.

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 260/820 | EN: 14/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -13 EN -238 HP
Phoenix | HP: 45/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 110 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 |  Shatter [-60 MIT; 1/3] | -180 HP

ID212330 | CD: 3 | Recovery Failed
ID212331 | BD: 10+4-2=12 | <<Tech-D vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: (8+2)x16+20(Static) = 180 damage | MD: 10+2-3=9 | Major Critical Hit: 110+150+28-30 = 258 damage

She'd managed to catch the thing straight on, her scythe cutting neatly through one wing as the creature fell upon her. For a brief second, she felt that elation again - right before the heat started to cover her, the burning sensation as the phoenix opened up whatever hell hole existed within itself and gave birth to the flames that surrounded its body. 

"Nari! Hold on! I'm coming for you!" She could hear the call from above, but there was nothing she could do, no response she could give. The burning within her body covering her in a way that made it hard to breath, hard to think. She knew that she needed out. She knew that she would die if she stayed here. But she wasn't sure how to get away, how to escape.

Panicking slightly, she tried the one thing she could do - pulling her weapon towards her for safety, in the hopes that it would help her, somehow. She wasn't sure how, but she knew that if she could just get it close, just get it in her grasp, that everything would be okay...

She focused her efforts, pulling her weapon closer to herself, her concentration set on one thing and one thing alone - escape. The need to get out. To survive.

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 278/820 | EN: 16/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -2 EN 
Phoenix | HP: 25/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 110 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 |  Shatter [-60 MIT; 2/3] Shock [-20 HP; 2/2] -20 HP

ID212332 | BD: 1+4-2=2 | <<Tech-A vs. Phoenix>> | Miss! [-2 EN] | MD: 3+2-3=2 | Miss!

She could barely move, barely pull the scythe towards herself, barely do anything beneath the weight of it. Then, almost as suddenly as her world had been filled with heat and smoke and burning, she was free. Able to breath, to see, to escape. She rolled to her side, looking around, trying to figure out what had happened.

The answer came quickly as Nari noticed her friend standing with sword impaling the phoenix, driving it backwards away from herself and Nari, pushing it as far as she could before dislodging her sword and returning to Nari's side. A look of worry passed over her face as she looked down at Nari, her words coming out softly. "I thought I lost you there for a moment..."

Nari shook her head, smiling slightly even with everything going on. "You're not getting rid of me that quickly...now let's kill a fucking bird."

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 244/820 | EN: 18/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -2 EN -80 HP
Phoenix | HP: 25/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 110 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | 

ID212333 | BD: 1+5-2=2 | <<ST-I vs. Phoenix>> | Miss! [-2 EN] | MD: 8+2-3=7 | Hit: 110-30 = 80 damage 

She could feel herself start to falter, the energy expended on the on-going fight, the overall damage she'd taken. She was tired, far more tired than she had ever been before in this game. Her body wanted nothing more than to lay down and never get back up. I can't. I need to keep fighting. Need to keep going...

It didn't matter, as the phoenix slammed into her. Taking the moment of hesitation to its advantage and throwing her to the ground once more. She didn't move for a moment, too tired to even react. Too tired to get up and continue fighting. She was ready for this to be over, one way or another. 

A flash of blonde above her forced Nari's slowly closing eyes back open. A jolt of electricity through her body as she realised what she'd just been considering. What she had just thought about. No. I'm not giving up. Not now. Not ever. For her. She forced herself to her knees, using the scythe as leverage. A growl escaped her lips as she stared at the phoenix, quickly turning into a scream as she rushed towards it, using the momentum to force the scythe into an arcing spin.

Combat
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 44 | HP: 290/820 | EN: 12/98 | ACC: 5 | DMG: 8 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Static: 20/12 | +46 HP -10 EN
Phoenix | HP: 0/975 | MIT: 50 | DMG: 110 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 2 | 
ID212334 | BD: 8+5-2=11 | <<ST-I vs. Phoenix>> | Hit: 8x16+20(Static)-50 = 98 damage | Target destroyed!

Spoiler

Looting
N/A

Hellstorm {2} | T2 Unique Consumable | Apply 20*Player's Tier DMG to every attack (as Phase damage) for a single thread.

Shards covered the air before Nari as she slowly realised that they'd done it - defeated the phoenix that had caused so much trouble. She felt herself begin to tremble, before dropping to the ground, her legs giving out beneath her in response to the realisation that she had actually survived. That they had both survived.

Onóra rushed over to her, taking her in her arms even as Nari tried to push the woman away. Softly, her voice escaped her throat, trying to comfort the blonde who was holding her tightly. "I'm fine...mostly. Exhausted, but alive. And...holy shit. If that's a field boss...wow..."

She considered her words carefully. It had opened her eyes just how difficult the fights in this game could be, how easily it was to simply lose and disappear. She imagined the floor bosses - those who had gone and fought those. The strength it took, the capability and skill. The determination. And the fear it must bring about...

"I was...so worried. I thought you...I'm glad you...don't do that again, please." Onóra's voice was broken by sobs, the woman a complete mess. Nari felt a ping of sorrow, a realisation of what it meant to the other when she was in danger. The same thing it means to you. The same thing. She knew that she couldn't promise anything, that she couldn't change anything. It made her feel horrible.

"I...will do what I can." The words sounded horrible in her mouth, in her ears. A promise that was empty and hollow, which gave no promise at all. She swallowed her anger, her pity, her sorrow. For now, they had what they needed. The rest, they could figure out later. "Come on...let's go home..."

Thread Summary

Word Count: 9,477
EXP: 9,477 / 10 x 8 x 1 = 7,576 + 240 (Field Boss) + 240 (Field Boss) = 8,056 EXP

Hellstorm {2} | T2 Unique Consumable | Apply 20*Player's Tier DMG to every attack (as Phase damage) for a single thread.
Col: 7,698 + 400 = 8,098