PP-F4 'Performance Under the Stars' [COMPLETE]

Mari brushed off the snow from a rock overlooking ‘Frostbite Lake’ Thankful for the loot she had acquired once before; what seemed to be a useless wolf pelt served to be a perfect shield from the cold. She draped it over the rock, sapphire eye shifting over the horizon. The field was a winter wonderland of sorts, and void of any nearby players. She was, to the best of her knowledge, alone. Equipping the Performance Sphere; a violin appeared, after one last cautious look around Mari placed the Violin between her shoulder and neck and slowly started to play an intro; clearing her throat she began to sing; lilting voice reverberating off the lake before her.

Love of mine, some day you will die
But I'll be close behind
I'll follow you into the dark

No blinding light or tunnels to gates of white
Just our hands clasped so tight
Waiting for the hint of a spark

The song was a meaningful one, and despite her jilted feelings toward her ex-husband the song still held a deep meaning, it was played at their wedding, it was the first song they danced to. Such things, were not easily forgotten by the heart. No matter how much the mind wished it so.

If Heaven and Hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

The song was sung, and performed at a slightly slower tempo than its original, and the girl swayed slowly to the tune.

Life was walking through the snowy plains when he saw a pink glimmer off in the distance, he wondered if it could be her.. He didn't want to take any chances if it was, and being the dark clad figure he was he stood out in the purity of the snow like a sore thumb. He unequipped his armour and put on something more suitable, he wore a white knitted sweater and white tracksuit pants made from a rare cotton which he had obtained during one of his escapades. He jumped up into a nearby tree and examined the figure that stood on a rock which seemingly overlooked the frozen lake. When he saw her like this he could see her true beauty, her fair skin complimented by the white wonderland.

When she sung his heart dropped, her voice was something special indeed. There was something about her poise and soothing nature of her voice that effected him... it was like liquid gold. There was something slightly off, she seemed to be solemn in her solidarity, something rare to see but pleasant to witness. The way she played her violin.. there was such elegance, more so than anything he had seen in real life. He edged closer holding onto a branch leaning slightly to get a better sound from her performance as she swayed peacefully to her own tune. He wanted to speak but nothing came out from his mouth, he was completely entranced "Uh.. oh..." was the only thing manageable that seemed to escape his lips.

((Mari was on a rock near the middle of the lake, not on the actual lake!  She’d fall over heheheh)

Mari, continuing the melancholy melody slowly stepped away from the lake, swaying with each step in a slow rhythmic dance.

In Catholic school as vicious as Roman rule
I got my knuckles bruised by a lady in black
And I held my tongue as she told me
"Son fear is the heart of love"
SoI never went back

She paused in her tracks, voice raising to a crescendo, lilting across the snowy plains

Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

At this stage there was a musical interlude, and Mari began walking again, humming softly to herself as she slowly headed toward the nearby trees. Mari felt at peace, and somewhat forlorn. It was the first time since been trapped here that she was able to relax and forget about all that had occurred. So what if the performer profession was clunky? Or that she had to put up with Tristan to gain it.

Thank the stars she was alone.

L couldn't believe his ears in the slightest. "Do my own senses betray me, or are these the vocals of a deity?" He whispered to himself, he wanted to make sure he could hear every word she sung, every word she lifted into the heavens. He felt like going down but he wasn't sure how to approach the woman. At best he should at least wait until she had finished. The lyrics where alien to him, he himself never went to a proper school, he grew up with his father on a farm occasionally visiting his entrepreneur uncle in the city to be amazed and baffled by its technologies.

As she approached closer he backed away slowly into the cover of the snowy leaves, looking down at her like an wise owl watching something precious to it. He shuffled on the branches, steadily but silently he needed to hear the rest of the song, he just needed to.

The fourth floor had always been one of those places Alkor came to think. After several very dangerous situations and a few heartfelt moments, despite his deep seated disdain for the cold, he came to this area to relax. He came here to think about what he would do next.

When he heard a player singing, he glanced up front his trance-like state and checked his HUD to see if there were a name, or he knew who it was. That was when he saw the strange girl from the first floor, with the immense dislike for Life and his guild.

Alkor was not the type to go looking for trouble. Despite his earlier threat- or promise, depending on how realistic her malicious intent proved to be- this particular player didn't like getting caught up in the doldrums surrounding other players. While most people preferred to live as realistically as they could, Alkor liked to avoid the drama.

So, when he stopped dead in his tracks, he was conflicted about what to do. No part of him wanted to interrupt her, nor inflict in her a fear that she couldn't be safe in Aincrad. The only reason Alkor would attack another player- so far as he knew- would be in defense of the players of Sword Art Online.

That was when he noticed a player with a horrendously low hide skill attempting to hide. "Huh?" Alkor let out involuntarily as he turned his gaze toward the bushes. "Wait... Life?! What are you doing?"

He called out without thinking, then realized he had been too loud. His hand flew to cover his mouth, but it was too late.

Mari started singing again, now leaning on a nearby tree, she heard a rustle in the leaves, but the thought, the suspicion of a monster went in one ear and out the other. She was much too focused on the sun.

You and me have seen everything to see
From Bangkok to Calgary
And the soles of our shoes
Are all worn down

Mari slumped down the tree, landing in the thick layer of snow, her voice wavering, cracking as she hit the next verse. She lowered her head, blossom bangs falling into her cherub like face.

The time for sleep is now
It's nothing to cry about
'Cause we'll hold each other soon
In the blackest of rooms

At this stage, small tears had began to streak down the girls face, she was almost weeping into the song- the tears, salty and warm dropped into the snow, leaving melted imprints. Perhaps, singing this was too much – but Mari, she hadn’t exactly cried since the divorce. Don’t marry young they said, you’re a fool they said, why didn’t Mari listen?

Illuminate the no's on their vacancy sig-

The song halted with a screech, akin to nails on a chalkboard, and her breath caught in her throat. What was that? There was another player nearby? Mari scrambled to push herself up and out of the snow, falling face first into the white blanket. Mari spat at the ground, visibly shaking –with what emotion, one couldn’t be sure.

“What the censored “ she hissed. She looked up to see Alkor, standing - a stark contrast of charcoal against the pure snow. "YOU?" She screamed, voice shaky. "What? You think it's FUNNY? Have you come to make good on your censored threat!?"

Mari was clearly upset that someone had heard her.

L watched patiently as she came to singing the final words he leaned down closer holding on to the branch, he was dangerously close but he didn't care. She was crying and he felt like wiping away her tears, he outreached a small hand and out of no where a voice spoke "Wait... Life"  He looked over to see Alkor and almost yelled in shock, he pulled himself back violently to regain his cover and stay out of the sight of the man but his hasty movements were too much for the branches and they snapped loudly. He fell humiliatingly into the snow and looked up at the woman while she screamed at Alkor, he messed up big time now. "Mehrr...." Was all he could let slip out, absolute humiliation. 

He stood passively while she yelled out, distracted by Life landing in a deject pile only a few meters from him. Moving over to the fallen man, Alkor knelt down and placed a hand on his shoulder. "It's not good to spy on people," he chided in a low voice. "You'll get a reputation for being a creeper."

Helping his friend to his feet, the golden eyed boy finally regarded Mari with a passive gaze. Her anger seemed to roll over him and just flow away, as though he were a mountain and her rage little more than a breeze. That was just Alkor's way. He rarely rose to being prodded.

"I came to rest," he said, rather succinct. It gave no hint of hostility or motive beyond what he offered. Alkor always said what he meant, and he meant what he said. "Don't give me a reason to kill you and I won't."

It was a fair statement. "I'm not a Maverick," he explained, "I just hunt them."

Life had yet to hear of Alkor's experience on the floors above, so now was as good a time as any for the boy to hear about it. "You were singing," he said. "Don't stop on my account."

L looked up at Alkor miserably and got up slowly, he kept his view away from his eyes and away from Mari. His now bright red eyes seemed to cause unwanted looks, like a vector. "I was just getting some fresh air..that's all" He wiped himself off and looked back at Alkor slightly confused "What in the hell is a maverick?" He didn't look at Mari, he was still much too embarrassed though he tried not to show it. 

As if being stalked by the very man who said he’d kill her wasn’t enough; Life just so happened to fall into her, well, life again. “What?” Mari stepped back, entire form visibly shaking now, “you were spying on me?” She snapped. Face red with a mixture of hurt, embarrassment and a touch of anger. Ok, a handful of anger. Alkor didn’t respond to her, instead he approached Life, helping him up. He mentioned something to the other man but Mari didn’t quite catch what it was.

She took another step back, almost falling over in the snow, “Or are you in cahoots?” Mari questioned, gripping the violin tighter in one hand, the other wiping the wet traces of tears away from her face. Now was not the time for reminiscing.  Came to rest? And Life just so happened to be here too? Coming to rest and just so happened to come across the very girl he threatened to kill?

Oh no.

Mari wasn’t buying into that bull of a story.

“Again with the death threats?” Mari asked with a roll of her eyes. “I am so sick of death threats – you say one wrong thing to someone and they are all-“

She changed her voice, using a mocking tone. “Oh I will smite you where I stand.”

She shook her head, throwing her violin into the snow before her, stamping her foot as though she was a child. “I’m [ceonsored] sick of it. Half of you lot wouldn’t do that in the real world. It’s – Gah…” Mari shook her head not knowing how else to voice her frustrations.

It was then that Alkor mentioned something she wasn’t expecting, his voice changed  - tone somewhat pensive, almost considerate. “No one was meant to hear that.” Mari finally mumbled in response to his question about her singing.

L looked at her feet rubbing the back of his neck and sighed, he felt like he should be honest with her "Im sorry I... I just noticed you singing and i didn't want you to stop.. you have a beautiful singing voice" He still wasn't looking at her but he knew she was still upset his heart sinking when she started venting her frustration. "We're not killers.. I really am sorry about all this.. I'll keep my distance from you.." He re-equipped his black attire the fur keeping him much warmer than the sweater. He didn't understand the way he felt, it was mostly confusion but he would get over it soon he thought to himself. 

"Maverick players," Alkor repeated for Life's benefit. "Player Killers. People who intentionally take the lives of other players, despite knowing what happens when their health bar hits zero." He noted the apprehensive nature of the woman's speech and shrugged; she was free to think whatever she liked about him. "When a dog becomes rabid, you put the dog down," was all he said in response.

Alkor was the strange sort of person who, though he believed strongly against taking a human life, saw necessity in the act when it would ultimately save the lives of many more people. Every creature had a right to life, until it infringed upon another's right to live.

As Life equipped his gear, Alkor gave him a rueful look. "We should go," he told the other man. "We're clearly not wanted here." The other man had begun to babble about the woman's singing voice, which most likely wouldn't help his case given that he'd been found "spying" on the girl.

Alkor yawned in spite of himself, then flicked open his menu and checked the time settings. He was convinced that somewhere along the line, he'd lost track. Nothing had changed. The daylight savings time settings were set to auto detect, they had updated automatically, and he was living his normal life in a digitized world. Great.

Dismissing the menu again, Alkor hadn't even bothered to cover his mouth, which finally closed from the lengthy yawn. The strange girl had finished her tantrum and seemed to be sulking, and Alkor felt it was safe, finally, to speak without having her jump right back down his throat.

"If you're finished," he said, "I was heading somewhere."

Mari sighed, uncrossing her arms. She glanced toward Life, “I can’t blame you, little Blackbird.” She murmured, her tone of voice loosing the bite it once had. “Despite what you all seem to think, I’m not one to take death so lightly; I’d rather be struck down than take someone elses life. You may not be a killer, Blackbird, but you might want to remind your guild leader to stop boasting about what he has done. I disapprove of people who boast about taking anothers life.” She glanced away with a ‘tch’ “It makes me sick. So forgive me for being less than pleasant about the whole thing.” Mari shrugged, adding the next remark under her breath, “go ahead and keep your distance, everyone else does.”

She was emotionally drained, her lamenting song; it took a lot out of her. Mari was over the anger and shock of being found at what was probably her most vulnerable. Sadly, because she was at her most vulnerable, Alkors quips had affected more than what they normally would have. “Best put me down then,” She mumbled collecting her violin and  dusting the snow off it. “Since I clearly am rabid.” She walked past him, and sat near Life; against the base of the tree.

“I’m done.” Mari remarked, sad eyes focusing on the strings of her instrument as she finished picking out the snow. With a sigh, Mari started playing it again; the tune of ‘Av Maria’ lilting from the stringed instrument.

L looked at Alkor confused "Where are we going..?" He was still confused by his appearance and embarrassed by getting caught. He looked back down at Mari as she sat next to him at the base of the tree, he still wanted to talk to her but no words came to mind. He wanted to know the reason behind her tears, he wanted to know her secrets, he wanted to see the beauty and innocence behind the mask. She started to play her violin again, it was Ave Maria he had heard it before while studying Ellens dritter Gesang, he often did such things in his spare time, he found a certain beauty in poetry and song meanings. He began to recite the english lyrics as she played  "Ave Maria.. maiden mild.. Listen to a maiden's prayer.. Thou canst hear though from the wild.. Thou canst save amid despair.. Safe may we sleep beneath thy care.. Though banish'd, outcast and reviled.. Maiden.. hear a maiden's prayer.. Mother, hear a suppliant child..." He was once again lost in his own thoughts, thinking about how fitting 'the lady of the lake' was as they where next to one that was frozen as well as how much those lyrics meant to him at that moment. It was like a prayer for salvation from his own twisted mind.

The two were sharing an awkward, musical moment, and Alkor could not help but feel like the third wheel in a Disney movie. "Why are we singing?" He asked in a muffled voice, ensuring that no one else would hear his Flynn Rider-esque query.

His steps carried him further away from the pair as Life made harmony with the girl's instrument, and he stared out over the lake. "Aincrad's best season," he murmured. "Still little more than an imitation."

When he stooped and touched the water, the chill of it rippled up through his arm and reminded him that he was alive, somewhere, in some world. Not that he missed home, but more that he knew thousands of other players did. "I should check in, soon," he sighed. "Being in a guild feels like curfew all over again."

He scrolled through his menu and sent a quick message off to one person or another, then glanced back at Life. "Maybe I should let them be," he thought. "They don't seem to be at each other's throats."

Mari, annoyed at Life who started attempting to do some sort of awkward duet with her stopped playing. “Do you mind?” She muttered in an annoyed tone. “This is why I don’t bother playing when people are around – they think it’s perfectly fine to join right on in. It’s frustrating.” Life, just like Tristan had butted in; Mari was very conservative when it came to showing who she really was, beyond the sweet mask, beyond the rough layers; and she didn’t appreciate having that encroached on. If Life had stayed silent; maybe, just maybe she would have kept playing.

Sighing Mari put down the violin, “I don’t get you black bird. You don’t exactly seem like the type of kid who should be in the Crimson Inquisition.”  Her words sounded cold, harsh – but in a sense, it was a ‘Mari way’ of saying ‘Hey you aren’t that bad of a person’ Not that she would ever turn around and say that to him.

Mari turned her gaze to Alkor, the man who had threatened to kill her, twice over. He was somewhat silent now, a few meters away from the two, standing at the edge of the lake. He turned over his shoulder to look at the two. Mari couldn’t really read the expression on his face.

“I think you made your friend feel a tad out of place with your warbled drivel, you should probably go over and see what he wants.” Mari gave a slight shrug, “If he wants to do away with a ‘rabid dog’ such as myself let him know I’d rather him do it in my sleep.”

L gave a soft sigh, he didn't want her to stop but he understood. "Im sorry.. I didn't mean to intrude" He looked around a bit not sure what to do. She put down the violin and he bit his lip frustrated with himself, then she spoke. He wasn't sure how to respond to that but he gave a small shrug. He never wanted to join the Crimson inquisition but he felt empowered with them. To give them credit for his development would be poorly deserved, but then why does he stay? Could it be because he doesn't want to be alone again? He didn't even understand himself and here he was trying to help other people. "Maybe you're right, but at the same time.. you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover..." His voice choked when he neared the end of his phrase, he didn't think it should matter what guild he was in either way. His eyes wandered along the road until his eye set on Alkor.  With that he walked past her stopping when she started to talk again, he started to get upset with how poorly she spoke of herself "Alkor doesn't want to kill you and you shouldn't talk about yourself in that manner.. but go ahead if you want to think that way, i have another opinion" He didn't care what she thought about him anymore, if she wanted to warp the whole world into thinking it hated her then that would be her own problem not his. He grit his teeth one last time before walking off towards Alkor. 'Warbled drivel? The nerve..'  where the words going through his head as he walked towards him, all he did was speak his heart. 

"I'm not a likeable person, Blackbird." Mari chided, she had said it to him numerous times; and yet he still seemed to struggle with how she acted and presented herself.  He told her that he shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and Mari couldn't help but give a soft laugh at his words. "I could say the same to you, Blackbird. " He got up, suggesting that she didn't talk about herself in such a manner, Mari shrugged. 

I call it like I see it, I'm blunt. You know Life, I don't mind your company, by the way. Don't look so melodramatic." At that he walked back off toward Alkor and Mari gave a low sigh, sometimes her habit of speaking before thinking, really bit her in the behind.  She picked up her violin again and began to play a soft, random melody; it's sounds akin to that of a lullaby.

He turned his head at her last words before he would leave. He wasn't 100% sure if she meant that she didn't mind his company,  he shook his head and smiled faintly. He knew she could be fake when she need "You can be blunt with some things, but not all, i know that. There are many things to like about you Mari, it seems you're the one misjudging yourself here" He turned back again he continued to walk towards Alkor, nerved by her words. It didn't matter how many times she said something or acted the way she did he knew there was more to her than just a cold heart and a snappy attitude, heck that could even be an act, a barrier to keep people from hurting her. If there was one thing he learnt however is to never force the answer, he was fine with waiting for her to be honest and open up, however long it may be. After-all, theoretically they were stuck with each other inside this virtual world for the rest of their lives.

"Sometimes the best thing to do," Alkor told Life as he got close enough to hear, "is swallow your pride and forget about having the last word." He cuffed the man upside the head and pointed toward a pass in the distance. "I was headed out that way, toward a cavern that an information dealer told me about. Not sure about the rewards, but supposedly, there's a creature there worth fighting."

Alkor was almost always looking to enhance his stats and level, more so than many other players. His die hard thirst to be the strongest player in Aincrad was born of a desire to protect, and so, whenever he wasn't able to do that, it made him work even harder.

It also seemed to become more compelling after he'd become angry. "Did you want to come with me? I usually go things like this alone, but since you're here..." Life may have caught the inference- if you'd like a distraction...

He glanced back toward the strange woman and then shrugged. "I think she'll be fine," Alkor told Life. "Some people just need to be alone to sort through things." He would know, after all.