Improving those RP skills turn 1 liners into 10 liners!

So I was in the skype chat earlier discussing how easy it is to expand on posts; and that there are still a few one liner and two liner Rpers out there. Now, I am one to say each to their own, but let's face it. It's impossible to be able to RP effectively if you are only giving your partner 2 lines or sentences to work with. So I am setting this up to help people fluff up their posts with some nifty descriptions, inner monologues, emotions and all that jazz!

Resources:
Thesaurus.Com
Let's make it interesting, and use different words to describe and iterate things! 

EXAMPLE:

'I went into the tavern where the meeting was and smiled as I sat down. there were lots of people there I didn't know but I didn't mind. I'd know them soon."

That could be made SO SO Much bigger, by adding emotion, inner thoughts descriptions and actually adding directive.
Let's add some emotion into that post!

'
I took a deep breath and sighed before entering the tavern. I felt nervous. This was where the meeting was going to be held and I knew that there would be very few people I'd be familiar with there. Quietly approaching the table I gave the members who had arrived already a small, nervous smile before pulling out my chair and sitting down.

Look at that! We've already added an entire line! Let's try again by adding some inner dialogue 

I took a deep breath and sighed. I told myself that it would be ok! That I was being silly for being so worried about this. I shook my head and gave a nod of confidence before entering the tavern. I felt nervous. This was where the meeting was going to be held and I knew that there would be very few people I'd be familiar with there. Quietly approaching the table I gave the members who had arrived already a small, nervous smile before pulling out my chair and sitting down.

I placed my hands on the table, fidgeting as I tried to get comfortable. It was a tense experience for me, but it was one I did not mind because I knew that soon, these strangers would become guild mates, friends, perhaps something more. I tried telling myself to talk, go on, say anything - just one line!

"H-Hello."

I inwardly flinched at how timid I sounded. Stupid Bob! Stupid!

and BAM!

We turned a 1 line post into a nice chunk of a post that allows people to have an idea of how your character acts! Oh, but what does your character look like? We should probably add that in there too don't ya think?

I took a deep breath and sighed. I told myself that it would be ok! That I was being silly for being so worried about this. I shook my head, my orange hair shifting from side to side and gave a nod of confidence before entering the tavern. I felt nervous. My green eyes looked around the place. I felt under-dressed. I only had my beginner clothing on, it was boring and  brown and made from some sort of itchy material. This was where the meeting was going to be held and I knew that there would be very few people I'd be familiar with there. Quietly approaching the table I gave the members who had arrived already a small, nervous smile before pulling out my chair and sitting down.

I placed my hands on the table, fidgeting as I tried to get comfortable, being a tall man - it was hard to adjust myself in the small chair. It was a tense experience for me, but it was one I did not mind because I knew that soon, these strangers would become guild mates, friends, perhaps something more. I tried telling myself to talk, go on, say anything - just one line!

"H-Hello."

I inwardly flinched at how timid I sounded. Stupid Bob! Stupid!

See, now we know what 'Bob' looks like. We know he has orange hair and is a tall man with green eyes. We also know that he is awkward and isn't good with meeting new people. We knew none of that with those two lines. 

Isn't RPing fun?

Punctuation just requires you to follow general proper grammatical use of it and what flows best in your head. Probably the only punctuation you would struggle with on the matter would be semi-colons, of which aren't exactly required or popular. So along as you don't overuse commas to combine three sentences into one, or use it improperly so that post context is misconstrued, there shouldn't be an issue. :)

All these hints are great and the kind of stuff I use for my posts, take good note of them!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...