[F1] Catfish Sundries (<<R5 Merchant>> & General Store) (closed for renovations)

Pixel had gotten a bit of Col recently with a bit of help from a friend. She was had been looking around for a player ran shop for a new weapon. She didn't really trust NPC's shops very much and wanted to go to a real shop. She opened the entrance door and peered her head in. The shop looked nice enough to her, so she walked in slowly. This was her first time in a shop, so she didn't really know what to do. She looked over at the counter and waved at Sey with a faint smile on her face. She walked over to the weapons that were currently being displayed and looked at them for a bit. She came to get a new kind of weapon, but she hadn't decided yet. She had been using one-handed curved swords for a while now, and wanted to change things up a bit. She never used a shield, so she wanted to get a two handed weapon.

After about a minute of looking, she decided on a standard katana. She needed to get used to using katanas, so she didn't want to get anything fancy. "I'll be getting this." Pixel said as she showed Baldur the katana. She looked at the display price, which was 100 Col. She opened her menu and went into her Col funds. She then sent 100 Col to Baldur and smiled. "Thank you very much. Bye!" Pixel said as she walked away from the counter. She left and closed the door behind her on her way out quietly.

-100 Col

+Iron Katana

Edited by Shadowpixel
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an interesting thing, seeing the little merchant's desk squirreled away in the corner of the forge, but it created an intimate atmosphere, which Shield appreciated. Shopping at larger locations tended to make the conversation seem more forced and stiff, which was unfitting of good business.

Returning the greeting of the merchant, which seemed practiced but not insincere, Shield inclined his head and stepped over to speak to the man.

"I feel like I stepped into a little portal to Meiji Era Japan," he gave a warm smile, which was a rarity for him, especially towards a stranger, but the cozy shop had put him in a good mood. "I was wondering if you might take a look at something for me."

He flicked through his inventory until a shining, silver shield materialized on his arm. It was a standard, spade shaped design, though the surface was without any decoration besides the mirror-bright surface itself. Shield set it down on the only empty space he could find on the counter between them.

"It's a rare item, but I've heard hidden aspects can be found by those with the skills to do so. Would you be willing to make an attempt?"

Baldur smiled when he saw a new face approaching his counter and commented about stepping into Meiji Era Japan. It was a small attempt on Baldur's part, but he was glad to see that it worked. The Gaijin Samurai gave the warrior a slight bow of his head in respect to his newest customer. The player had an air about him that Baldur liked, though he still seemed to be somewhere in the first tier of equipment. It was refreshing to him to see someone taking those first steps towards the front line.

"My typical mark-up is a material, and it costs me one to see if has any hidden potential. If you don't have materials, I can sell them to you for 500 each. But since it appears you're starting out, I'll give you a bit of a discount. I'll charge you 200 Col if you provide the material, and 100 Col if you buy the material for me." He shrugged his shoulder, "Just up to you which is more valuable."

"And that would be per attempt, I take it?" Shield asked, though having done a little bit of research on the process he knew that would be the case.

Quickly, Shield took inventory of the money he had managed to earn so far, noting that the vast majority of it was acquired mainly because the player who had once carried him had chosen not to take his share, which given how much Shield and Beat had managed to contribute to the battles, would have been all of it. With a sigh, and a half-frown, he returned from his deliberations to the shop-keep in front of him.

"I hope it does not offend you, but I'm afraid I must intrude further upon your generosity."

Shield held his hands by his sides and bent at the waist, inclining his head as he tilted his upper body forward, a gesture of apology that he had learned from a brief business trip to Japan in his actual life. Judging by the apparent interests in the culture by the merchant, he assumed that the gesture would not be lost on him.

"I have few materials relatively speaking, so Col is my desired form of payment. As you say though, I am a starting character. 600 Col. would indeed be a reasonable price, but players have to be aware that in any simulated game, luck is a factor. If worse should come to worst, by the time we're at a third or fourth attempt, this will become a very expensive process."

He returned to an upright position and addressed the samurai eye to eye, his eyebrows serious, but not inclined in anger.

"I would like to offer you 550 Col. per attempt, and to make the deal more reasonable, I would also like to offer further compensation if the job is done within the first two attempts. A flat 100 Col. on top of that price would make a success in the first two attempts worth the same to you or more, but should we both be the the victims of bad luck, it will not prove as heavy of a drain on what resources I have managed."

His eyes were set, and his hands remained still by his sides as he continued steadily to return the merchant's gaze.

"Can you find these terms acceptable?"

Baldur was stunned by the man's reaction. He was certainly very interested in getting this item he wanted. It was obvious he didn't have much, but wanted to improve his power by any means within his grasp. That was certainly something that spoke to Baldur's own spirit. He had been in a place not very different from Shield, however, his kindness and... discounts, were precisely why he never made any profit from his shop.

Still, he was invested in raising up promising players through the ranks, and getting people to join them on the frontlines. This man was one such warrior, then Baldur could not let some Col be the barrier to him improving his power and continuing on his way.

"I accept your terms." Baldur said with a smile as he regained his composure. His eyes had widened at the man's bow, but that was a telling amount of expression from him.

"Now then, let me see the shield, and we'll begin."

Baldur tapped the shield and pulled up the menu, attempting to appraise it.

With a sigh of relief, Shield allowed his item to pass from his hands and arranged a transfer of funds in his account. His usually stern face was able to regain a momentary smile at the good news. His countenance was usually colder than he had intended, but Shield got the impression that the merchant was similarly impassive and likely had fallen victim to his own lack of apparent emotions in the past.

"Your kindness is appreciated."

[Shield: -550 Col.]

[Baldur: +550 Col.]

From one stoic man to another, little gestures and subtle hints at one's inner mind were not to be taken lightly, which Shield certainly did not. He watched with rapt interest as the merchant set about his work. This was, after all, the first time he had watched a tradesman. Of course navigating through the menus was hardly something to gawk at, but seeing the game's animations play out was an experience he was more than eager to observe.

Spoiler

ID: 74564 CD: 2+1=3

Item [Locked]

Baldur examined the window with a bit of a frown on his face.

"Hmm... it seems this item doesn't have any hidden slots. Of that I'm absolutely certain. That's not quite the result I was hoping for."

It was a good shield, but it was nothing more than a Rare quality Tier 1 shield.

"I'll tell you what. I have a bunch of IOUs from other merchants throughout the castle, they're not worth much to me, but they could help you. If you find any other rare shields, I can probably exchange it for a shield of the same type, and we can see if it has any hidden slots. Also, since I wasn't successful, I'l give you back what doesn't cover my cost."

Baldur opened up a window and traded him back the extra 150 Col. He felt bad not being able to help out this player, but while he had other shields that may be better in the long run, having a Regen shield at low level was a surprisingly good idea. It was a strategy that fit perfectly where they were at the foes they would fight.

Baldur wishes to send Shield 150 Col

Spoiler

Baldur +550 Col from Shield
Baldur -400 Col from Shop
Baldur +1 Material
Baldur -1 Material from Appraisal
Baldur -150 Col to Shield

Shield frowned and nodded, but as he reached up to the dialog window for the partial refund, he did not choose to accept just yet. Leaving the panel open, he flowed through his menus and the shield dematerialized. It was replaced in his upturned palm by a small ring of solid jade, carved into the shape of a dragon to wrap around the finger when worn.

"You always have to be willing to accept the possibility of bad luck. Hopefully we'll have better luck on this one. If you're willing, that is. This is still only your second attempt, so if there's good news, I'm perfectly willing to continue to honor our arrangement."

Shield held out the ring, his eyes steady as they regarded the merchant.

It's overwhelming the kindness I've received since my time began in the game. It's good to see that so many recognize that we're all in this struggle together. That does, however, put quite a burden of debt on my shoulders when it's my turn to pay it forward to other players.

Dominion was just finishing his day run around the entire first floor, and happened to stop by a shop he had never entered before. Dominion entered the Catfish Sundries on the first floor. Upon entering, he met a person he honestly didn't expect to see. "Hello Baldur. It's Dominion the monk" Dominion greeted the front-liner. "I was wondering if I could get an instrument here. I have searched several shops in the first floor, but most people just look at me funny. I know this may seem weird, but I need an embellished red wood lute. Also, I have heard that a recording crystal is supposedly a wise choice to buy with the instrument, so if you have one of those I will buy it as well." Dominion took out the col required for both items and moved it toward Baldur. Dominion waited to hear, if he were wrong or made a mistake, the font-liner respond.

-2800 Col

On 1/18/2017 at 4:06 PM, Shield said:

Shield frowned and nodded, but as he reached up to the dialog window for the partial refund, he did not choose to accept just yet. Leaving the panel open, he flowed through his menus and the shield dematerialized. It was replaced in his upturned palm by a small ring of solid jade, carved into the shape of a dragon to wrap around the finger when worn.

"You always have to be willing to accept the possibility of bad luck. Hopefully we'll have better luck on this one. If you're willing, that is. This is still only your second attempt, so if there's good news, I'm perfectly willing to continue to honor our arrangement."

Shield held out the ring, his eyes steady as they regarded the merchant.

It's overwhelming the kindness I've received since my time began in the game. It's good to see that so many recognize that we're all in this struggle together. That does, however, put quite a burden of debt on my shoulders when it's my turn to pay it forward to other players.

Baldur turned a sad expression to the junior player, his steel blue eyes seemed as honestly remorseful as the system would allow them to appear. He showed his hands plaintively to his customer, "I would dearly love to, but I'm afraid that there's no such option at this time to appraise jewelry, only battle gear like swords, shields, and armor." He proceeded with the refund and sent the remaining Col over to Shield. Baldur had come away with nothing lost or gained,but Shield had lost not an insubstantial amount of Col in the interaction. Baldur would have to find some other way to help the junior player.

On 1/22/2017 at 5:34 PM, Dominion said:

Dominion was just finishing his day run around the entire first floor, and happened to stop by a shop he had never entered before. Dominion entered the Catfish Sundries on the first floor. Upon entering, he met a person he honestly didn't expect to see. "Hello Baldur. It's Dominion the monk" Dominion greeted the front-liner. "I was wondering if I could get an instrument here. I have searched several shops in the first floor, but most people just look at me funny. I know this may seem weird, but I need an embellished red wood lute. Also, I have heard that a recording crystal is supposedly a wise choice to buy with the instrument, so if you have one of those I will buy it as well." Dominion took out the col required for both items and moved it toward Baldur. Dominion waited to hear, if he were wrong or made a mistake, the font-liner respond.

-2800 Col

"That is correct, Thank you for your patronage. And it is good to see you again, Dominion the Monk."

Baldur took the Col that was offered and traded him the instrument which would give him a +1 bonus to his music, and a recording crystal.

"I look forward to hearing some of your music in the future."

Nodding once again, Shield accepted the transfer without further argument. He was having to get used to the taste of his own pride lately, and it was a bitter pill to swallow. Before turning to leave, he took mental note of the little corner of the shop and the player that ran it. As an afterthought, he opened a window with a swipe and a few extra taps and sent the player a friend request. It had behooved him so far to take every opportunity to befriend more advanced players. He had a feeling it would do so again in the future as well.

"You've been more than reasonable," he said. "I appreciate your willingness to work with me. Hopefully we'll have another chance to help one another out someday, and hopefully it will be more successful."

With a wave, he turned and exited the shop, making his way back towards the inn.

[+150 Col]

Edited by Shield
  • 2 weeks later...

Beat walked through the forge district of town, trying to decide which blacksmith to buy from. There were so many choices, that he had eventually decided to simply try every door in the district and compare prices. It was a daunting task and had taken him much of the day, so by the time he walked through the front door of the Catfish Forge and Sundries, he was in a bit of a daze. His stupor was quickly broken, however, as he was greeting by someone who lacked the appearance of your typical blacksmith. He gave the man an inquisitive look as he listened to Baldur explain that the forge was next door, shaking his head at the mention of another forge. 

"No no, no more forges...anyways, I think I'll just take a look through your stock if that's okay."

With that, his expression brightened a bit as he did exactly what her said he would do. Eventually, he had made a full circle around the shop and brought his menu up. He began the transaction process, offering one-thousand col. He made his request with a large grin on his face as he enjoyed the thrill he always got from shopping. 

"2 Materials please!" 

-1000 col

+2 T1 Materials

• 1 month later...

Seul wandered into Baldur shop with just one goal in mind: Purchasing materials. The reality of the situation was that he was far too lazy to go out and gather them on his own. He wasn't exactly skilled in the search department, so since he had enough col to throw around as of late he decided to make use of it.

“Hey Baldur, I'm here to pick up a few materials.” He said while flicking through the inventory screens to gather the right amount of col. It did not come cheap… Part of him wanted to cry just watching as 9500 col git sent to the merchant. Picking up the mats he placed them away and gave a wave before walking out. He left out the part about how they’d be used for appraisals in another shop though. Perhaps things would be different with this round of tries. But probably not.

---

[-9500 Col]

[+19 T1 Materials]

• 3 weeks later...

For awhile now, Sky had been looking for some armor, but none of it was affordable, or his tier. On this floor, it was hard to find any shop that had what he wanted, but as he walked into yet another store, he saw some clothing, a suit. He walked up to the counter, liking the idea of this.

"Hey could i please buy the Gentleman's suit? And if you are able to, appraise it twice? Il pay for one material and give you one"

As he says this, he opens up the menu, sending over 700 Col to pay for the suit and the Mat, and sending one of his own also

-200 Col

Spoiler

Item: Gentleman's Suit (200 Col)

Item type : Light Armor
Quality:  Uncommon
Enhancement: +1 Mitigation
Shop: Catfish Sundries

Description : A black and white suit that will make the user look fashionable. A must for any gentleman shindigs. 

Edited by Stryder

Zero had been checking out quite a few shops on the first floor all day.  There were quite a few of them in the town of beginnings which made shopping a bit of a chore.  Since he had finished his first quest and gotten a little bit of Col, he had hoped to maybe find an item or two within his price range that he really liked, at least until he could scrounge up some more cash to purchase some better items or, with a little luck, find them in some drops or maybe down in a dungeon.  So far his quest had been pretty fruitless, while he had seen some items that he liked, they were either out of his price range or they were being given away.  While other players might be willing to take some hand outs in order to increase their odds of survival, he wasn't going to do that.  If he could afford something, he would buy it, that was a given, but he wanted to feel like he had earned everything that he has, whether he finds it, makes it or buys it with money that he has earned, that was how he wanted to play this game.  He wanted to grow as powerful as he possibly could of course, but he had joined this game in the first place in order to see just what he was truly capable of.

Something caught Zero's attention out the of the corner of his eye.  It was an item in a glass case, the little trinkets appeard to be fairly elegant cuff links.  He wasn't sure if they had any kind of enhancements on them, but he was definitely curious about them.  While he was pretty sure that something like that would be out of his price range, just like everything else he had looked at today, he still felt like asking.

"Excuse me.  I hate to be a bother, but could you tell me anything about these cuff links here?  I really like the look of them and I was wondering if they had any kind of enhancements on them and how much you were willing to sell them for, if at all"  Zero turns to find the player that he believes is the shop keeper and talks to him, asking his question as quickly and polietly as possible.

Edited by zero_lost04
On 2/1/2017 at 3:59 PM, Beat said:

Beat walked through the forge district of town, trying to decide which blacksmith to buy from. There were so many choices, that he had eventually decided to simply try every door in the district and compare prices. It was a daunting task and had taken him much of the day, so by the time he walked through the front door of the Catfish Forge and Sundries, he was in a bit of a daze. His stupor was quickly broken, however, as he was greeting by someone who lacked the appearance of your typical blacksmith. He gave the man an inquisitive look as he listened to Baldur explain that the forge was next door, shaking his head at the mention of another forge. 

"No no, no more forges...anyways, I think I'll just take a look through your stock if that's okay."

With that, his expression brightened a bit as he did exactly what her said he would do. Eventually, he had made a full circle around the shop and brought his menu up. He began the transaction process, offering one-thousand col. He made his request with a large grin on his face as he enjoyed the thrill he always got from shopping. 

"2 Materials please!" 

-1000 col

+2 T1 Materials

Baldur smiled at Beat as he purchased the materials and then made his way out, "Thank you very much!"

He then made a note in his ledger.

Spoiler

Sold (2) Materials to beat - +200 Col

On 3/16/2017 at 4:49 PM, Seul said:

Seul wandered into Baldur shop with just one goal in mind: Purchasing materials. The reality of the situation was that he was far too lazy to go out and gather them on his own. He wasn't exactly skilled in the search department, so since he had enough col to throw around as of late he decided to make use of it.

“Hey Baldur, I'm here to pick up a few materials.” He said while flicking through the inventory screens to gather the right amount of col. It did not come cheap… Part of him wanted to cry just watching as 9500 col git sent to the merchant. Picking up the mats he placed them away and gave a wave before walking out. He left out the part about how they’d be used for appraisals in another shop though. Perhaps things would be different with this round of tries. But probably not.

---

[-9500 Col]

[+19 T1 Materials]

Baldur smiled and waved in a familar, friendly way to Seul. "Thank  you very much! See you around!"

He then made a note in his ledger.

Spoiler

Sold (19) T1 materials to Seul - +1,900 Col

On 4/4/2017 at 2:56 AM, Stryder said:

For awhile now, Sky had been looking for some armor, but none of it was affordable, or his tier. On this floor, it was hard to find any shop that had what he wanted, but as he walked into yet another store, he saw some clothing, a suit. He walked up to the counter, liking the idea of this.

"Hey could i please buy the Gentleman's suit? And if you are able to, appraise it twice? Il pay for one material and give you one"

As he says this, he opens up the menu, sending over 700 Col to pay for the suit and the Mat, and sending one of his own also

-200 Col

Reveal hidden contents

"Of course! We can do that."

He pulled down the suit and then tapped it briefly to reexamine it. He had never thought to appraise the items in his glass case.

"let's see what we find here."

[ID: 81440 CD: 10+2 (success) LD: 18 (Mitigation)]
[ID: 81441 CD: 10+2 (success) LD: 10 (Evasion)]

"Well look at that. @Stryder you got a nice item here."

Item: Gentleman's Suit 

Quality:  Perfect
Enhancement: +2 Mitigation/+1 Evasion

Effect: 18 Mitigation, +1 Evasion
Description: A black and white suit that will make the user look fashionable. A must for any gentleman shindigs. 

1 hour ago, zero_lost04 said:

Zero had been checking out quite a few shops on the first floor all day.  There were quite a few of them in the town of beginnings which made shopping a bit of a chore.  Since he had finished his first quest and gotten a little bit of Col, he had hoped to maybe find an item or two within his price range that he really liked, at least until he could scrounge up some more cash to purchase some better items or, with a little luck, find them in some drops or maybe down in a dungeon.  So far his quest had been pretty fruitless, while he had seen some items that he liked, they were either out of his price range or they were being given away.  While other players might be willing to take some hand outs in order to increase their odds of survival, he wasn't going to do that.  If he could afford something, he would buy it, that was a given, but he wanted to feel like he had earned everything that he has, whether he finds it, makes it or buys it with money that he has earned, that was how he wanted to play this game.  He wanted to grow as powerful as he possibly could of course, but he had joined this game in the first place in order to see just what he was truly capable of.

Something caught Zero's attention out the of the corner of his eye.  It was an item in a glass case, the little trinkets appeard to be fairly elegant cuff links.  He wasn't sure if they had any kind of enhancements on them, but he was definitely curious about them.  While he was pretty sure that something like that would be out of his price range, just like everything else he had looked at today, he still felt like asking.

"Excuse me.  I hate to be a bother, but could you tell me anything about these cuff links here?  I really like the look of them and I was wondering if they had any kind of enhancements on them and how much you were willing to sell them for, if at all"  Zero turns to find the player that he believes is the shop keeper and talks to him, asking his question as quickly and polietly as possible.

"Of course sir! The cufflinks are +1 accuracy, and cost 200 Col as they are." he reached into the case and tapped on one, bringing up the menu and making it so that the window was visible to the other player.

"I almost can't believe it.  Not only is it within my price range, it actually has an enhancement that I need.  If you are willing to sell it too me, I am more than happy with that price."  A great big smile overcomes Zero's face as he replies to the merchant.  Without a second thought, he opens up his menu and beings scrolling through, until he was ready to trade with the proprietor.  200 col was a very small price to pay for a little bit of accuracy up.  He definitely felt like he could use it and he loved the way that the item looked, it was a perfect accessory for him as he started his journey.

"200 col, sold and sold if you are willing to part with it."  Zero was holding his finger over the button, ready to confirm the transaction send the Col to the owner of the shop without a second thought.

12 minutes ago, zero_lost04 said:

"I almost can't believe it.  Not only is it within my price range, it actually has an enhancement that I need.  If you are willing to sell it too me, I am more than happy with that price."  A great big smile overcomes Zero's face as he replies to the merchant.  Without a second thought, he opens up his menu and beings scrolling through, until he was ready to trade with the proprietor.  200 col was a very small price to pay for a little bit of accuracy up.  He definitely felt like he could use it and he loved the way that the item looked, it was a perfect accessory for him as he started his journey.

"200 col, sold and sold if you are willing to part with it."  Zero was holding his finger over the button, ready to confirm the transaction send the Col to the owner of the shop without a second thought.

"Consider it yours."

Baldur completed the trade with Zero, and then made a note in his ledger.

Spoiler

Sold cufflings to Zero - +200 Col

-1 Gentleman Cufflinks
+200 Col

Sky watches as his new armor is appraised, and it gets EXACTLY what he had been hoping to get!!! Its insanely stronger, and he was happy. With thanks to the merchant, he put the item in his inventory, smiling back at Baulder with a happy face that showed his appreciation.

"Definitely coming back here, thanks!!!" He calls out, before leaving the store.

-1 Mat. 

- 700 Col

Item: Gentleman's Suit 

Quality:  Perfect
Enhancement: +2 Mitigation/+1 Evasion

Effect: 18 Mitigation, +1 Evasion
Description: A black and white suit that will make the user look fashionable. A must for any gentleman shindigs. 

• 1 year later...

Baldur walks into his shop and turns the sign to closed. He had a lot of reorganizing he needed to do before he opened his shop again. A lot of new stock to put up, and a lot of old stock to clear out. First thing first, however, he wanted to pick out a few things that he could still use. The first of which was a <<glow stone>>, and then a <<Field Ration +2>>. He had been meaning to get one for the boss labyrinth, but it seemed it had been explored before he even had a chance to think about it.

"Well, it's still good to have."

He walked over to his book and made a note in the ledger to record the transaction, and then closed and locked the door on his way out.

-1100 Col
+1 Glowstone
+1 Field Ration +2

Edited by Baldur