PP-F10: Changing Tides: Cerulean Silence Meeting #4

The 10th floor was not an ideal place, even in the best of times. However Mari was not normally one to have the comfort of others at the forefront of her mind. In the past, she had tried to be accommodating, but that just made things worse. People became complacent.

People died.

Yet here she was. Sitting in a dimly lit tent, on the 10th floor, awaiting the few guild members she had chosen to replace those she had removed. Cerulean Silence was no longer the largest guild in Aincrad. One could say it was now the smallest. Mari didn’t care. She wasn’t sure why she even bothered to keep the guild alive. Was it pride? Stubbornness? Regardless…she had an obligation to uphold the guild.

The tent was her store. One of the only places she could retreat to as a Pker. Her tent sat just on the outskirts of the 10th floor safe zone and town. The tent would not hold any more than 5 people, however her guild was small enough for that not to be a bother.

The light that lit the tent came from jars filled with fireflies, threaded along the low ceiling.  The floor of the tent was covered in various mismatched rugs and pillows, which when resting in were surprisingly comfortable. On the left side of the tent sat an old mahogany table – normally vials and bottles sat atop it but it had been cleaned off for the meeting. On the right side the locked display case that held the crystals seemed to be quite full – as it appeared that Mari had shoved her potions into the cabinet.

Mari sat against the counter that sat at the back of her tent, in her hands she held a cup of sweetly scented tea. Although it would be hard to pick, with the array of odd scents from within the tent. Flowery herbs, burnt charcoal and others one could not quite put their finger on.

Mari gave a sigh, as she took a sip from the cup, waiting for her guild members.

Having only ventured up to the tenth floor once before, Shuyin had a hard time finding his way to Mari's shop. Knowing that Mari wasn't a player to be kept waiting, he picked up his pace in the search for her tent. Circling around the main settlement of the tenth floor, Shuyin finally saw the faint yellow glow he had been looking for. Approaching the light he was able to make out the shape of the large tent that was Mari's shop. Entering in through the front flap, Shuyin took a quick look around to find that the shop had been transformed into a make shift meeting room. Turning his head towards the locked display cabinet, Shuyin wondered if it was a wise decision to stuff such powerful and dangerous things all in to one place.

"Hello Mari" Shuyin said to his guild leader before giving her a quick bow of respect. "Would you like anything to eat to go along with your tea?" He asked as he prepared to open up his shop inventory and serve up some food at his guild leaders request. Although he normally wasn't so accommodating to other players. Shuyin respected Mari for her position as one of the strongest players in the game and as his guild leader. 

Hyun was mentally drained after the breaking the unbreakable quest never in his life did he think he would have had to fight a boulder to be able to partake in martial arts. He would be sweating if the game allowed such a thing, either way he needed to put a shirt back on and get into the city so he could take the earning a living quest. As he headed back up the mountainous ranges into the 2nd floor settlement he received a message, it was from Mari. He wasn't sure why, Mari was the type to do things only if she had a good reason to do so. He opened the message and wasn't surprised, it was just a guild meeting notification. Hyun sighed, his earning a living quest would have to wait for now. The meeting was to be held on the tenth floor which was not the best place for someone like Hyun, and from what he had gathered Mari wasn't a person he wanted to disappoint, especially after joining her guild. He used the second floors teleport and travelled through the tenth floor for the first time.

Hyun wasn't the type to expect things but he guessed their meeting area wasn't going to be anything special considering the fact that Mari was a pker and wouldn't be allowed inside any of the main settlements. Like he thought it was nothing close to fancy but it was something. He walked inside and nodded at Mari looking over at the other boy who was closer to him and offered a handshake. "I suppose this is another one of the many downsides to the orange label"  He looked over at Mari who was situated at the back of the tent and smiled playfully. 

Mari lifted her eyes from her drink as the first person arrived. A white haired youth draped in snowy cloth and armour. It was a stark contrast to the usual dim black shrouds people tended to wear. His name? Shuyin. Mari hadn't had much interaction with the lad - however the interactions she did have had not been distasteful. It was why he was accepted into the guild. The lad gave a small bow toward Mari, and in return - Mari gave a nod of her head. She gave a small smirk as she noticed his eyes linger on the overfilled cabinet. "It won't explode." He asked if she wanted anything to eat, Mari set the cup down beside her and tilted her head, leaning forward. "mmm...that's the second time you've offered me food, are you a Cook perchance?" 

Mari tilted her head toward the entrance as Hyun entered. She accepted him into the guild as he was one of the fewer players who seemed to be in the same age bracket as herself. He had a decent head on his shoulders. "mmm, depends how you look at it I suppose." She said in response to his comment.

Anna had been accepted into the Cerulean Silence. It was soon after she’d left Absolute Pin and their false queen. The woman swore to herself that she would go things on her own; however, she knew that wasn’t possible. She remembered Cro’s words, that only ones who worked alone were mad. That had to be true; it was dangerous to travel many places on one’s own, and she simply wasn’t strong enough to do so yet. So she resolved to find someone she could respect in a position of leadership and follow them wherever it might take her. When she saw the guild document announcing that Cerulean was looking for new members she knew she’d found a place for herself. The leader promised no hand holding, not false pretenses; the leader was the only one in charge and either those following her would fall in line or get the censored out. That was something Anna could respect; someone who didn’t hide what they were. She applied and was accepted; that took place about a week ago.

As Zaz was sitting in a new place, partaking in her favorite pastime when she got an alert, she clicked on it and found that there was to be a guild meeting and where to go. She smiled as she already knew the place. Anna got up from the table throwing a few col down for the drinks she had and then made her way to the teleportation pad to make her way to the tenth floor.

The tenth floor didn’t seem as scary as it had the first time she come, perhaps because she had come before and already knew what to expect. She quickly made her way to the familiar tent, the shop of the lovely Miss Mari. Anna reached the tent much faster than she had the time before and she slipped inside finding that others were already here. The woman crossed the tent toward the group and gave Mari  a nod and a soft smile rather glad to see the pink hair woman again. 

Hyun stretched out and yawned silently trying not to draw to much attention to himself and placed his hands behind his head, clearly still tired. His body was also still to tense and his muscles tight, all he really wanted to do was spend the night at the tavern and sleep. He was about to make a comment until another person walked in, a female. He had never seen or heard about her before but then again, he was still new to the game. She only offered a nod and a smile, it seemed mostly everyone in here was for business, and that he liked. He wasn't all to keen on spending to much time here either as a good nights rest meant a prepared mind. "Are we waiting for anyone else?" He finally said, in a stark tone trying not to sound to impatient. He wasn't exactly sure what it was people did in a guild meeting but he assumed it would be important and beneficial, after all that was why he joined in the first place. 

Azazel entered the tent, she had only very recently joined - and it was somewhat of a shock to Mari. Last time she saw Azazel she had the guild icon of the Absolute Pints...or Pins..or whatever they were called. It seemed as though people were already leaving its ranks. "Ello beautiful." Mari greeted Azazel, her words complimentary, but her eyes and face looked a little bored, as though she was already tired of waiting for others to show.

Mari sighed. Running a hand through her pink fringe. "Crozeph. He's late, but I ain't waiting around for slackers." Mari's eyes lingered on the trio in front of her. She lifted a finger to point at Hyun, "You - fill him in on what we discuss after the meeting. As for now, I'd rather get started." Mari stood up, only to sit herself back down on the low sitting table she had been leaning against. This gave her the smallest of height advantages. With the others sitting down it allowed her to be at least a head taller than her guild members.

"Let's give you some background knowledge on Cerulean Silence. It was initially founded as a big f**k you to a guild called Crimson Inquisition. Cerulean, and Silence was merely opposites of that  guilds name. It's members pissed me off, and its leader even more so." Mari shrugged. "I wanted to show that you can't be a dick and get away with it. In the end, I killed their guild leader -and their guild fell." Mari paused to push stubborn strands of hair back out of her face.

"Cerulean grew, too quickly. I let any dumb sh*t join, and the guild - whilst being one o' the biggest in Aincrad, was not the best. In the end I kicked everyone out. I'm either too stubborn or too prideful to let the guild die. That leaves me to you folks who decided to join, despite my not very friendly announcement. " 

Mari leaned back against her palms. "Which leads me to the question of why? I'm curious." She asked the three before her. Her eyes paused as they rested on Azazel, "And I'm particularly interested in why you left lil' miss blondie's guild for mine."

Azazel had a seat as Mari began to speak of her guild’s history and her reasoning for starting anew. These were all things Zaz found entirely fascinating, especially with how ruthlessly the pretty woman vanquished those she felt needed so. Mari’s eyes then fell upon her and she asked the million dollar question everyone else had wondered about her exit from her former guild. She ought to have felt uncomfortable in this sort of situation as she knew all eyes were upon her, but she had nothing to hide.

“It’s simple. Ariel is a fake. She set up the guild with a counsel but then had absolute power of overturning all decisions collectively made by that counsel. Then she proceeded to insult me by having actual chess pieces made, and gave them to us as a reminder of what part we play in her little game. If she wanted absolute power to begin with, she should have just said so. I cannot respect someone who hides their nature to appear to be good. She’s a monster as far as I’m concerned. I joined with you because you promised no bullshit, and I can respect that. I’m not here for you to hold my hand or baby me. I came to kick ass and get the censored out of here, and the only way I can do that is by winning.â€

Azazel paused for a moment and smiled,†Does this answer suffice?†

Hyun half smiled, Mari was again getting him to be errand boy. He didn't even know who Crozeph was and in honesty couldn't care less. Mari continued on and what she would say next especially raised Hyuns attention. It wasn't everyday you got a history lesson on guild dominance but here he was being well educated. Hyun was content in silence and eagerly listened to what she had to say, It wasn't long before he point in the matter was imposed on them, why did they join? It was a fair question to ask any new members and it would only have felt right for Hyun to give an honest opinion. Mari then focused on the brunette who then gave her an answer. He couldn't tell if it was a serious answer at all, she seemed much to eager.. but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. When she was done she simply asked Mari if it would suffice and so once Mari had replied it would be his turn.

Hyun kept his arms where they were, resting his hands behind his head, he looked up for a moment and back down at Mari. "Well I could sell you a sweet story or I could tell you the truth. The simple truth is that a guild is useful, nothing more and nothing less. Do not get this sentence confused however, i have every intention of getting back to my real life, and I think that goes for all of us." He let his arms drop and shrugged "The reality is we can't stay in here forever, I'd give ourselves 3 years tops before the hospitals start to cut off our life support" 

Mari bit her lower lip, hiding a bemused grin as Azazel began to explain why she had left absolute pin. Mari had zero tolerance for Ariel, and Azazel had said everything Mari could have said, if not more. Mari didn't know the inner workings of Ariel's guild - nor did she ever really plan to. The blonde girls guild was her own issue. Mari had her own life to live. Frankly, the less she saw of the b**ch the better.

Mari couldn't help but give a small laugh as Azazel's spite toward Ariel grew, with her tone of voice. "Ahahaha, that is so beautiful I could kiss you!" Mari exclaimed as she clasped her hands together. "Couldn't say it better myself, although I have to admit - hearing about the inner workings of her guild is somewhat interesting. So she is flying on the coat tails of Azure Brigades  whole ' Council' thing..." Mari bought her legs up, sitting cross legged on her low sitting table, she slowly began to twirl a pink strand of hair around her finger. "Seems a lotta guilds claim they are doing that these days. It's a sound idea, in theory - but in reality you will nearly always have the arbiter. The one who has final say. I don't see a point for a council. I don't plan to have a big guild. That's noise I can't be bothered with. I won't make you carry around sh**ty little chess pieces I assure you. Your answer more than suffices."

Mari turned her attention to Hyun, since their third members seemed to be, for the most part, silent. "ahh...." Mari slid off the table, allowing her legs to rest atop Hyuns. "One of the few people who actually understand that reality. Stay with the guild as long as it is useful to you, if you find it no longer useful. Leave. Of course, I'll treat you the same. If you aren't useful to the guild. I don't need your dead weight. Speaking of..." Mari said as she trailed off, "We are still missing Crozeph. If he doesn't turn up. He's out. Simple as that."

Mari scratched her chin. "Mmm, other than the obvious intention of getting out this game, anything anyone wants in particular? Quest completion? Houses? Hell I got an array of mind numbing potions if people really want. My intention with Cerulean is mutual exchange. I don't give a sh*t if you want to go fight in the frontlines or just chill out back on the lower floors and bake pies. As long as you are useful." 

As Shuyin sat there listening to the others give their answers, he found what Azazel had to say somewhat amusing or more so ironic. "For someone who doesn't want to deal with any drama or bs she seems to have a lot of pointless spite in her heart." he thought to himself. As for Hyun, Shuyin felt that he could relate to his answer, after all it was pretty much the same reason he joined.

"To be honest I joined this guild because it was a strategic opportunity. Like the two before me both said I want to get strong and then get the hell out of here." 

Pausing for a moment to think about Mari's next question, Shuyin wasn't exactly sure about what he wanted. "I guess if we are making plans, knocking out some quests wouldn't be a bad thing" Just realizing now that he had ignored his leaders earlier question, he decided to speak up. "Oh.. and to answer your earlier question I am a cook."

Hyun tapped his jaw as Mari continued the boy next to him spoke up and stated his opinion shortly after. If she was going to help out he wasn't going to let the opportunity slip past "Well i'm currently looking for a set of equipment, I currently still only possess the starting gear. I was thinking maybe a tailored suit and gloves... oh and an amulet. Health potions would be appreciated and I It's always useful to go questing. Of course, if that's not to much to ask. As for my plans.. well I like to take opportunities as i see them." Hyun folded his arms and rubbed his shoulder. He was glad he ended up coming to this meeting, he would be able to make it very clear exactly what he wanted from the guild, but of course nothing came for free. He digressed before continuing on waiting for Mari to present the catch... there was always, a catch. 

Crozeph opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was the ceiling of his shop. He heard some beeping sounds earlier and saw that something was up with his new guild. Crozeph lay low for too long...very long and this will be the first time he'll be taking a step out of his shop after many weeks. Crozeph slipped on his boots and pulled the hood of his coat followed by closing his shop. Crozeph walked out and began walking on the street. It was a gloomy one, a trademark of the floor or so he believed. Crozeph made his way out of town and saw it, a tent  which is a shop and the owner of it...his new guild leader. He has met this guild leader a few times and maybe messed around that person, he also has a few flash of memories about her but can't remember all and now that person is his leader and he is to follow that person's orders...if he wishes to keep on living.

Crozeph stopped in front of the entrance of the tent and heard people talking "was this guild this lively?" he thought. Crozeph felt a sting as he heard the word slacker stuck on his name when it was mentioned "damn that was a critical blow" he said to himself smiling. Crozeph walked in, the hood of his coat covering half of his face revealing only his eyes down to his lips "not so friendly announcement but you do sound like a true leader" he told the pink-haired girl who is now his new guild leader "you're not Mari if you are so friendly" he added. Crozeph pulled down the hood of his coat and smiled at them "sorry for being late, I was just doubting my own sense of directions" he told them.

Anna smiled as Mari laughed in response to her words. “I’m glad we are on the same page then.†She was rather pleased that she was not the only one that noticed Ariel’s ways. “I do not know of this Azure Brigade; however I would be happy to discuss the guild at length should you so desire it.†Azazel had no qualms about sharing information with Mari. Mari assured her that she’d not make Anna do anything stupid like carry a chess piece nor would she bother with pretending the guild was a democracy. “Then I am pleased.â€

The other’s answered why they were there, but Anna had no interest in their wants or desires; she was solely focused on her own. There was nothing she truly needed from the group other than what Mari had to offer her. “I wouldn’t mind a bit more field experience.†Anna spoke in truth. Though she was leveling quickly, she was gaining little in way of skill. About that time, Crozeph waltzed into the tent. Anna smiled, happily recognizing a familiar face. He apologized for the lateness and then joined the rest of the group. 

Quests, naturally, that was to be expected- it had also been something Mari had written on her guild announcement to prospective members. "Quests, I can do. I will set up a notice board after the guild meeting, listing all available quests, and you simply reply with which ones you wish for me to take you on. We go as a group, if you join, you join - if you miss out - you're on your own. I ain't gonna repeat quests over and over. God knows how many f**king times I've done the avalanche quest. The only catch is I am going to quickly eradicate everything, leaving ya with little to no rewards unless stated on the quest board. We don't have time for you to be dilly dallying. Azazel, would this work for field experience for  you?"

Next, Mari addressed Hyun, and his desire for better equipment.

"My my a needy little thing aren't you?" Mari chided Hyun. "Guild storage may have some items in it. Here..." She bought up the HUD for Hyun to look at. "Whatever is in guild storage, is up for grabs." Her eyes glanced over at the others, "That goes for all of you. It's left or donated by myself and ex members. Health Potions, they don't grow on trees. You give me 3 materials and I'll give you 1 free Healing Crystal. If I am lucky with crafts, you may get a higher ranked one." 

Mari rubbed her thumb and forefinger together, "Worth a pretty penny, naturally - I will offer any guild members a 100 Col discount in my store-"  

Mari paused as Crozeph finally entered. "Nice o' you to join us." Mari gestured to the floor. "Sit, Azazel will brief you on anything you missed later. Now that you are here, after this meeting - I need you to accompany me, I have a request from Rebekah - who would like to participate in a half HP duel with you. I will mediate. You two have some form of unfinished business, and this is how I chose to rectify it. You don't have a choice, you will do this. I will cover any healing you may require afterward."

Mari paused, allowing the group time to soak up her words. "Right, now -  I don't plan on a large guild. I doubt we would hit 10 members, but if we do that is the limit. If another member wishes to join the weakest/member who has contributed the least will have to defend their position, as will the applicant defend their right to join. Any questions? If not I'll move onto professions." 

Crozeph sat on the floor as soon as Mari told him to "some kind of shop" he told himself as he looks around "it looked a bit more gloomy" he thought. Crozeph's chain of thoughts was cut off when Mari told him of what he was to do now that he showed up and then looked at the woman she mentioned, someone Crozeph met and almost scared the last time he went roaming outside Floor 1 "you're that girl named after the demon" he said, squinting his eyes as he looked at Azazel "and your real name is..." Crozeph then looked at Mari as he heard the mention of a half HP duel with Rebekah "t-that girl wants a half HP duel to settle some king of unfinished business?" he asked almost shivering as he tries to remember what unfinished business they had "remind me not to get to Rebekah's bad side next time" he told himself. Crozeph was thankful that Mari would mediate, he could remember back in the outside world in a mixed martial arts fight on how the referee would stop the battle when one of the fighter is getting beaten to a pulp on the octagon floor "consequences are really scary" he uttered smiling nervously.

Crozeph looked around, new faces are with him inside the tent and not only in the guild. The only familiar face for him was Mari and Azazel, the other two was completely new to his eyes. Crozeph then nodded as Mari talked about her guild member having a limit and the member with the least contribution will have to defend the position "that means no time to slack off for me" he said "better get my shop up and running" he added. 

Hyun smirked at the way Mari had responded to everyone, she was definitely something else and not in a necessarily bad way. He was satisfied with her answer and it was fair enough, he would take a look later but he doubted the guild storage would have anything of use to him. The player named Crozeph was done with them all just as soon as had waltzed in, if there wasn't anything left to be said Hyun would leave himself. He unfolded his arms and scratched the back of his neck trying not to yawn. Mari then stated she'd move on to professions and his attention was caught again. "None here, Im ready to move on to professions. I was planning on doing earning a living tomorrow actually. Do you have any suggestions or tips for taking it?"

Hyun was much to tired to put on any other expression but seriousness, he wasn't phased by her survival of the fittest scheme for keeping a strong small guild if he was considered to be weak he wasn't going to try and defend it. Hyun didn't have to prove anything to anybody. Even though he was a much lower level than the others he knew how the world worked, sometimes it wasn't always about how much you had, it was how you used it. 

"That'd be perfect," Anna replied to Mari with a nod.

So then she was to take on quests. It would be a good way for her to level up her skills and with Mari there it'd make getting through them a breeze to handle. The others spoke but Anna couldn't care. She was getting what she wanted out of this deal and it was all that mattered to her.  The woman paid attention the fact that Mari would eventually dismiss weaker players should her guild cap be reached. She looked at her guild mates and eyed each one over. She knew Cro was stronger than she, but she'd no ideas about the others. There was no way she'd let herself be the weakest player in the bunch. She'd slit throats if she had to in order to make sure of this. 

(waited long enough for Shuyin continuing)

The group discussed things amongst themselves, Crozeph did seem taken aback by Mari's blunt order for him to go into a duel with Rebekah. But that was simply how Mari was. Blunt. She wasn't going to sugar coat something, and if someone was lazy, late or messing around they'd damn well hear about it. "Yeh, she does. you f**ked up." Mari shrugged, "but it ain't my business. I'll simply keep an eye on you both." She paused when the  boy seemed to shuffle where he sat, giving a nerve filled smile as he muttered under his breath about the reality of consequences. "That's life for ya." She said simply. Crozeph mentioned his shop, "If you're a merchant then yes, get it up and running - those stores are useful."

"Tips?" Mari asked Hyun, "Don't die." She said with a smirk. "Seriously though, I'd reccomend Artisan, there are not many around in Aincrad from memory. If you want help, as promised. I will. Generally these quests are just about gaining materials for the NPC. I just can't follow you back into the town."

Mari stretched, interlocking her fingers and letting her arms sprawl out far in front of her. Cracking her fingers she gave a  yawn. "That's it from me, once this meeting is over; I will start up a few quest skirmishes. If you wish to attend do so. But you miss out tough luck, do it on your own." Her eyes flicked over to Crozeph, "I'll also be taking care of your issue with Rebekah. Now Any other business?"

Crozeph nodded as Mari talked to him, it seems she doesn't want guild members with trouble and unfinished business pinned on their shadows "it's not that dangerous though but I'll probably get a few serious beating" he told her. Crozeph messed with the girl once and with every move that he made back then, Rebekah found a way to get out like some Irene Adler he read from the books outside the game. He hasn't though of going at a duel which might be an all-out-no-dying type and worse, it didn't even cross his mind to at least talk to the girl he had serious business with. Crozeph then crossed his arms "my shop is running good, just that a few doesn't know it was there in the first place and just go 'was this shop here all along?' when they see it but I'll be there if ever needed by some" he told them.

Mari then talked about not dying "it's one of the best tips out there yet no one seem to have a better grasp of it" he told the guy as he moved close to him "others met their end unexpectedly even when they keep telling themselves to not die" he added, grinning and trying to scare him.

Crozeph then turned his head at the mention of skirmishes "as for me on that part, it's not on my to-do list for now and..." Crozeph nodded "...I prefer doing things on my own, I don't want to bother anyone with my whims and needs" Crozeph remembered his duel with Rebekah again "well I didn't expect Mari to catch wind of my f***ed up situation of Rebekah so I guess that's an exception" he added. Croeph looked at everyone "buuut if you ever need me to help, I'd be glad to join in if you'll ask for it" he said.