PP - f1 "a new Arc

(On phone will edit format at home )

Mari frowned, she was low on supplies. Food supplies that was, materials too but that was a matter for another day. She, along with the rest of the raid group had successfully defeated the Yamata No Orochi; and after Mari's initial scout of the floor - she realized she was low on food.

So here she was, resting against a boulder. One leg at sight out in front of her: the other bent and propped up against her torso. Her blue eyes focused on the entrance of the town of beginnings.

It seemed quieter than normal today; and the few players whom had seen her- had scurried quickly away. It seemed as though her reputation, and orange marker had gotten the better of her.

Mari sighed. "What a bother."

His lips formed a flat line as he saw the orange cursor over the strange woman's head in the distance. Many players had scurried back behind the safety of the Town of Beginnings' walls, but Arc took an immediate interest in what she was doing on the first floor.

This close to the start of the game, it would do more harm than good for a player killer to do their dirty deeds. The fear made sense; players who were still weak feared death, or did not understand how to become strong. Arc was tired of his own weakness. It was time to go out and act, to do or die, and for better or worse, to leave his mark on this world.

He walked toward her, still low in HP and equipped with his starting weapon. None of his skill points were allocated, and he had almost no Col. "Sorry," he began, "but people aren't very fond of people who's reputations..." he pointed up toward her cursor, "precede them. If you're down here, you must have a reason."

It was bold and probably stupid. If this woman wanted to kill him, it wouldn't take much for her to do it. Still, Arc was unafraid, and if she took pleasure in taking lives, then someone would witness what she had done. Someone would take action.

"If I can ask, that is." He folded his arms and took a breath, more sure of himself than he had any right to be. Fear only stood in the way of advancement, and he saw this as an opportunity to get stronger. "What are you doing here?"

Mari tilted her head toward the town, as she watched a figure dressed in black starter clothes approach. A look of determination etched across angular features. He mentioned her reputation, signaling toward her orange cursor. A mark Mari would never rid herself of. She would bear it like a medal: charging into the depths of hell. Mari shrugged at Arc's initial comment. It didn't need an answer- his next question however, was just what Mari wanted.

"What am I doing? Waiting for someone either stupid, bold or both to approach me." Mari said, her blue eyes focused on her actions as she twirled a strand of pink hair around her index finger.

"And here you are..." She said as she stood. Mari was at least a head shorter than the blonde haired, blue eyed stranger. Still; it did not make her any less intimidating. With her rosy armour, protruding thorns- and cold calculating blue eyes which as they met Arc seemed to stare right through him. Her round facial features looked worn, from no sleep, and the lethargy of battle after battle.

"My reputation..." Mari began? Pointing a slender finger upward to her icon, "stops me from basic necessities ; such as a bed and food- I may not be able to rest soundly, but I sure as hell can find someone to get me food- for a profit of course. Interested?"

It took less than an instant to realize this woman was among those numbers lost to the game. Survival overlapped the way she dealt with people, even to the point where she carelessly brushed off the fact she had killed another player like it was nothing. "Mhm," he muttered in response as she casually insulted him and dismissed her situation as though it was nothing more than an inconvenience.

"Fine," he responded when she finished, rather flatly. "You give me the funds and tell me what you want, and I will bring it back to you." Direct, simple, and without any holes for her to fill in with volatile banter. "In return, 500 Col up front. I won't do it twice if you stiff me, and I know you're going to run out of errand boys as people start distancing themselves from you."

Whether she liked it or not, 500 was a cheap asking price and Arc knew she would realize that his words were true. "And try not to sound so ungrateful when I get back."

He stood straight and met her gaze with a brash defiance that probably made her feel vindicated in calling him stupid. Still, Arc had little fear of falling prey to her dagger; the woman was low on item fetchers as it was.

"400, 300 upfront and 100 when you return." Mari replied, narrowing her gaze. 400 was double what she normally paid people, and she wasn't as low on fetchers as this man must have assumed, he was shrewd and valiantly set in his stance, which impressed Mari, of course MAri would not so readily voice Her thoughts on that. "I'm not as short on... 'Errand boys' as you assume." Mari said, with a swipe of her hand she had opened up a trade menu with the man.

"I'm not picky with food- 500 col worth of supplies will do me fine. Just make it somewhat varied, don't come back with 500 bread rolls."

She placed 800 Col into her part of the trade, then closed it off.

It seemed as though the man was in no mood to take orders, and did not approve of her hardened exterior. Not that it entirely mattered to Mari, there was a high chance this would be their only encounter. "It's easier to distance yourself from others. Death is far to common in this place, no point in opening up to someone if they're just going to die." Mari mused. Her tone cold- despite her words speaking of pained truths and experiences.

"There." Mari said, "and I will be sure to say 'thanks' when you return."

"Hard bargain," he replied as she returned fire with her own version of the deal, "but seeing as I don't look particularly good with holes in me, I can live with it."

It was a backhanded acknowledgement of her strength and status above him, but he was sure she knew that it was less from fear than from necessity.

Arc shrugged at her assesment of friendship and accepted the trade, fully intent on fulfilling her request. An assortment of goods to help keep the woman alive was the least he could do, especially since she was actually agreeing to pay him. Arc turned away when she seemed finished, and he headed back for the town.

Once inside the safe zone, he made immediately for the vendor stalls and browsed carefully over the foods he could get the most of for her money.

Fruits, meats, fully cooked foods, various desserts and a handful of outlandish delicacies greeted him, but he reminded himself that he did not intend to sate his own palate. Arc moved through the menu and selected the cheapest foods that did not sound disgusting and deliberated over them.

He bought almost two weeks worth of food with her money and some of the money she had given him for his trouble. While he wasn't exactly on friendly terms with the pink haired girl, he knew that the money she'd given him wouldn't get her enough to hold her for more than a week at most.

When all was said and done, Arc would only have profited 200 col.

He closed his inventory window and turned back toward the entrance to town, striding into the fields without a second thought. "I'm back," he called to her as she came back into view, "sorry it took so long."

As he accepted the trade, his name came up. 'Arc'  "Naturally, Arc." Mari said in reply to his comment about a hard bargain. He added a snide comment about not wanting to have any holes in him, "I unno..." Mari mused, shifting her weight to the side, placing one hand on her hip, "I think an earring would suit you." 

Arc turned and left her to her own devices. Mari gave a deep sigh, running a hand through her hair. That latest vitrolic exchange took more out of her than she cared to admit. "ugh..." She muttered with a tired sigh - sitting back down into the grass. When did it become so hard to communicate with people? How hard was it to offer a stranger a simple smile? To not throw barbed, toxic words at everyone she encountered, strangers, associates and guild members alike?

Mari lifted her head up toward the sky, shielding her eyes from the bright contrast of the sun. "Maybe they are out there..." Mari mused to herself, thinking briefly of all those whom had died; there was a small sliver of hope that this wasn't a death game - that her daughter was alive and well - and that Thom was with his grandmother now. "Tch." Of course, Mari wasn't going to let herself be fooled by such notions.

She lowered her head; resuming the position she had been sitting in before Arc approached her. Bringing up her HUD she pulled out a single flower, one that Celes had offered her as a condolence. Mari would never admit it, but she was very sentimental. Holding onto small keepsakes, its a part of why she harboured such ill will toward Zelrius, Mari wanted a piece of the Hydra, the beast that stole Alkor's life. Of course - Mari didn't care about the items usefulness. In battle, she just wanted it as a trophy. A keepsake. She belittled others for such things, this was a digital world, and items would not follow them back into reality. Mari knew that, yet....

She sighed, giving her head a small shake.

The pink haired woman gave a sigh, twirling the stem round and round between her thumb and forefinger. She wasn't sure how much time had passed; but she lifted her gaze when Arc had returned, apologizing for taking so long. "Hadn't noticed." Mari said simply, bringing up her HUD and starting another trade window; giving him the last 100 Col, along with something extra - from her Alchemic store; Calming Honey.'

Arc blinked at the item that appeared in her trade window and his eyebrow arched a bit, but he said nothing. He began placing the items one by one into his own window, several blips in rapid succession adding a vast assortment of foodstuffs to the list. There were many different things, as she had requested, and visibly more than she probably expected.

When he was finished, he promptly selected "complete trade" and checked his inventory to be sure the Col was there. He scrolled over the item she had sent, a potion of some sort with a warning label that cautioned of addiction. It made him blink.

"Interesting," he mouthed quietly, but he chose not to pursue her reason for the strange concoction. Arc had never been the type to rely on addictive substances or seek a source of temporary freedom from his woes. The item might grab a high price at market, or he might hold on to it until someone he met needed it.

"There," he said finally, after he was sure that everything was sorted. "Done deal. Good doing business with you."

He turned to leave, stretching both arms and yawning softly.

Mari watched Arc's facial expressions; taking note of the arched brow and skeptical look the man flashed her. Mari simply offered him a wry smile in return. No words had to be exchanged. Mari could quite easily assume that Arc was a man of few words, and much like her - did not exactly socialize well with others. He was blunt, and cold in his demeanour and elocution. Mari's eyes drifted down to her HUD, watching as one by one - items were placed into her inventory. She frowned slightly at a sticky date slice that was placed in there. Mari wasn't exactly one for sweets. Still - she kept to her word and did not complain. She did find it curious the amount of items he had bought - she did not think she had given him that much Col.

The trade was completed, and Mari looked up at him. Cool Cerulean eyes tracing the outline of his jaw, waiting for some sort of visual response. She got none, so Mari offered a simple. "Thanks." 

Then; Arc mouthed something - although Mari did not catch what he said; and she was not able to read his lips. "Mmm?" Mari mused, hoping to pry a response out of him, but again - she got nothing. He said it was a done deal and with a turn on his heel, bid her good day.

Mari watched as he began to slowly tread back to the Town of Beginnings - a thin line of gold was strewn across the horizon, signalling the arrival of night.

"I hate that colour..." Mari mumbled, as she stood, dusting herself off.

As the sun began to dip beyond the fringes of the floor, the woman said something about how she hated some color. Arc turned his attention toward the gilded twilight and his lips set in a firm line. He had an appreciation for nature and all that, but he wasn't a deeply indulgent person. Still, that color was gorgeous for an end to a long day, and it seemed strange that someone would dislike it.

Of course, none of that was his business.

"Hmmm," he opened his inventory window and glanced over the amassed Col. "Maybe this'll be enough to get a better weapon," he stated absently. The starter weapon he had chosen ended up feeling awkward and light to him, so he wanted to give something else a try before committing points to any skills.

When the window blinked out of existence, Arc started toward town again. His thoughts lingered on the enigmatic woman who's personality rubbed him wrong; it occurred to him that she might be lonely, since she was still skulking around the first floor, but he couldn't make sense of why she let her cursor remain orange.

Sometimes, people were beyond his understanding.

Night came quickly; and Arc's figure had since disappeared into the safe Zone. Mari's eyes fluttered - and began to glow a soft green. Her Night Vision skill automatically kicking in, within the low light setting. Night Vision was an odd thing. Mari knew it was night time, things were dark - but she could see them clearly - as clearly as though it were day. If not for the darker hues in colour. Mari yawned. Stretching out on the grass. 

There were small perks to being a PKer; Mari was not tied down by any sort of home - she had no place to return to, no place to go. So her nights were often spent silently wandering the floors - or crafting away in her Alchemic Tent. Mari rarely got a decent nights sleep; the last one having being with Daeron keeping an eye on her - even then Mari found herself startled awake by nightmares. Faces of those she had killed, images of friends whom had disappeared. Leaving Mari wandering if they were dead or not. The woman long since decided to not bother with such connections.

Mari was tired but she knew that sleep would not come. Instead she chose to make use of the food that Arc had brought to her. Opening up her inventory she pulled out a white cape with golden lining, the 'Phoenix Cape' that Daeron had given her. Another item with sentimental value to her; Mari had no need for it, and had offers of large amounts of Col, Materials, and even  Uniques from players who wanted it - but she ignored them. Daeron too, had disappeared and this was the last trace of his existence. 

Yet here she was; using it as a makeshift picnic blanket. 

Good job Mari.

She had the slightest of smirks upon her face as she imagined one 'Zelrius' aka bowtie mcbroodypants reaction to such treatment of the cape. 
Mari pulled out a thermos of tea; and a small, chipped, plain white cup and poured herself a drink. She pulled out shortbread and took a bite of one. Turning her eyes to the sky, watching as the starts began to appear out from behind a midnight blue curtain.

Dusk consumed the world.

Stars twinkled high above the Town of Beginnings as Arc took his first few steps back inside after dealing with one of the more dangerous people trapped in Sword Art Online with him. While that should have been more terrifying, he believed people did not do most things without reason. Because of that, he had no right to judge.

The lights that fanned out in braziers above him were candles, which lit up the world with a subtle ambiance rather than harsh, contrived lighting. He wandered through the market filled with many vendors, a place intended for new players to search for things and encouraging them to try it all out.

He found the weapon vendor without much effort. Various weapons were strewn about the stand almost haphazardly. Arc lifted a different one handed sword, testing it's weight. It was a bit heavier than his, but still felt too light.

He took hold of a rapier, but immediately realized that it was much lighter and definitely not suited to his needs. Inspection of a dagger yielded an immediate expression of distaste. Arc let his gaze fall on the heavier weapons, designated for two hand use, and he nodded appreciatively.

"This'll do nicely," he murmured as he lifted a blade much longer than any he had held before. It was comfortable enough to grip with one hand, he recognized, but it's potential lay in commanding the whole of his body to employ it. "Simple Bastard sword," he grunted the name, certain that people would take it as some kind of commentary on his personality.

With a shrug, he unequipped his starter blade and handed it to the merchant; while it yielded him no Col, it was better than letting it sit useless in his inventory. He handed over the hundred col for the basic weapon, and he immediately equipped it.

The weapon hung across his back and added a weight that did not feel as encumbering as he expected. It almost screamed of familiarity, but that might have been the same for any weapon at this point, since he was still untrained.

Once finished, he decided to head back out of town. "Now," he broke into a run, a bright smile across his face, "it's time to see what I can do."

He tugged the large blade free of his back as he exited the safe zone, not caring that he couldn't see as well as before. The nearby mobs were still visible enough that it wouldn't be especially dangerous.

Well... maybe.

[boar: 5/5]

[Arc: 11/11]

Mari lowered her gaze as she heard a faint,  but quickened rustle in the grass up ahead. She figured it was a few boars - but to her surprise - it was Arc. "What in the..." Mari muttered, watching him run toward a boar. Did he not realize there was a penalty? Mari took one last gulp of the bitter-sweet liquid. Then, she picked up the Phoenix cape, draping it casually over her shoulders. The warmth it radiated prickled her skin. She made her way toward Arc - and the boar he was about to fight. 

Stopping just before the aggro zone; she crossed her arms. "You do realize there is a penalty when fighting in the dark, right?" She gestured toward her own, softly glowing eyes. "Unless you have night vision. Which, I clearly see you don't."

Mari's words did come off as cold, and condescending - but in a sense, she was offering advice to the man. 

Before she spoke, Arc was already driving toward the boar with his weapon cleaving toward it. The boar cried out in alarm as the dangerous blade drew closer, and spasmed as it dug deep into flesh. Despite the darkness, it seemed Arc had properly judged the distance.

"Damn," he grunted as her words hit him.

The boar hobbled after the strike, a thick red line drawn across its hide. It seemed to stare in both hate and sadness at the low level assailant.

"You were saying?" he heaved a sigh as he lifted the weapon skillfully in one hand and watched the boar without an expression.

[iD: 219477, BD: 7] (-1 for Dark Penalty)

[boar: 4/5]

[Arc: 11/11]

Arc managed to land a hit, he turned to Mari - his voice had underlining tones of  bravado to it, as though he was smug that he had gotten a hit in. Mari brushed it off, "Said it was harder not impossible. Tis just a boar after all." Mari responded with a shrug of her shoulders. This is why she didn't bother communicating with others, attempting to help others. "Was just a helpful hint. What do I care if ya die or not?" she muttered. Watching him turn his steely gaze toward the boar. He was about as pleasant as a mouldy, wet blanket.

"Don't come cryin' to me if yer get low on HP." She muttered as she turned on her heel. Heading back over to the rock that she had propped herself up against before. She'd spend the night here; on the first floor, and come morning she would return to the 11th. 

Mari nestled herself on the ground, and draped Daeron's Phoenix cape over her - half lidded eyes watching Arc fight the boar in the distance. "Idiot..."

"Don't worry," he murmured softly as she turned away, "I won't." Tobias hated relying on others. It was one of the things he gained from a mostly independent lifestyle outside the game; his mother and father spent so much time at each other's throats when he was a boy that he never got used to the coddling most children got. As he grew older and further away, he got along with people less and less. He never expected anyone to do anything for him.

His gaze darkened as the boar charged him, hefting the bulky weapon quickly and ripping it toward the piggish mob. It swiped across his leg with dull tusks that would have hurt, had the system not absorbed the sensation.

The boar let out another yelp as a second line overlapped the first, an x pattern now imprinted in the creature's matted fur. "Yeah," he confirmed, "this is definitely my kind of sword."

Whether it came from natural skill or effort on his part, Arc had grown instantly accustomed to fighting in this style. Strong, deep strokes in lieu of quick, superficial ones appealed to him, somehow. Despite the slight loss of health, he did not appear worried.

"Now, you're going down, pig."

[iD: 21959, BD: 8, Mob: 7] (-1)

[boar: 3/5]

[Arc: 10/11]

The sounds of battle continued, judging from the lack of curse words being shouted - Mari could only assume the battle was going in his favour. "Lucky shots..." She mumbled with a yawn. Her eyelids closed slowly, remaining shut for some time before slowly opening again.

When was the last time she slept?

Mari couldn't remember. Perhaps it was passed out at her Alchemic table. Her eyes closed again, this time remaining shut as she gave an annoyed mumble, attempting to shuffle her body into a more comfortable position.

Soon she was in a restless sleep, exhaustion overcoming her - eyes dancing wildly behind closed lids.

The boar staggered toward him now, afflcited by the pain of multiple wounds and wracked with effort to stay upright. Arc watched with a deadpan expression as it managed to lift its own weight and gripped his blade ready in both hands. "Come on," he whispered as it lulled from side to side, swaying uneasily.

His eyes matched the movements closely, waiting for the pattern of attack to shift. It never did. "Hmmmm," he mused silently as the beast did its level best to work up to ramming speed once more.

He stepped almost effortlessly out of the way, tracking the creature as it seemed to crash and burn mere inches behind where he had just been. Arc heaved the blade high and brought it crashing down, digging deep into the boar's flesh.

It let out a sickening gargle as blood filled its mouth, a third line intersecting the previous two. Arc held the blade in place for several moments, an unfeeling look in his eye. "This is real," he muttered, "this is a world where I can change things, with my hands."

He pulled back and ripped the blade free. It dangled at his side as he took a step back, bringing his left hand up to eye level. He stared at his palm transfixed. "These hands," he repeated the sentiment as the beast lay on the ground in too much agony to move. Arc could easily kill it now, and it would probably not resist much.

His attention snapped toward where Mari had been only moments before to see that she was sleeping. "What the hell, really?" he muttered, "and you're the one trying to chastise me."

He turned his attention back toward the boar, which would need to die before he switched focus.

[iD: 21962, BD 8, Mob: 1] (-1)

[boar: 2/5]

Eyes danced below fluttering lids

Lips parted to breath out soft murmurs

Pained looks befell her round face, coming and going on crashing waves. It was not a pleasant dream, but then again, when did she last dream? When was it not a nightmare?

She dreamt of a young girl, too young to be playing, she dreamt of innocent eyes, pooling with blood - then blackness. A suffocating darkness that Mari struggled to breathe through - Amber eyes burning a brilliant golden, cool and collected- the face they belonged to twisted into a cruel Face,surrounded by flames, clawed hands pulling Mari down into a pit of brimstone; cursing her name - blaming her.

Out of her mind, in a field: all seemed peaceful.

His enemy stumbled toward him again, this time a bit less emphatically than before. It slumped and rose in two undulating motions, and it seemed to be visibly disoriented. His blows obviously took an effect on the creatures in a way most enemies in video games did not get effected. That was another good thing about SAO- realism.

Especially considering his weapon was bigger, bulkier, and he hit harder. It was almost like the act of holding it made him feel stronger, and heavier weights began to feel lighter. The mob crashed before him in a pitiful pile, and Arc kicked it as he drove his blade home in its gullet. The creature let out a foul, high pitched whine as its HP dwindled, though Arc was far from strong enough to make the hit count.

For now.

"Gotta finish this quick," he reminded himself, "she's over there sleeping."

The boar flopped miserably around on the grass even as he peeled his weapon free and took a step back. "Now, you be a good little hog and die for me," he instructed in a nearly comical voice. If only it were so easy.

[iD: 21994, BD: 7, Mob: 3]

[boar: 1/5]