[PP-F1-10] Confronting the Darkness, A Friendly Adventure (Takao, Mari)

Mari let go of Takao's hand, watching with a bemused expression upon her face as he first looked confused, before sounding amazed, as the contents of the bottle shifted - it appeared as though small starts were floating across a galaxian ocean. She watched Takao's face, as the shadow of the vials contents  danced across his features. His eyes wide in earnest amusement.  "It creates an illusion of your deepest desires. If you love someone, it will be as if they are right before you - if you wish for a sunny day - that's what you'll see. If you want to be home in your room, your surroundings will shift to just that. But it's nothing more than a facade, an illusion. Fake." 

Her words were spoken with a solemn wisdom, that could only be gained from experimenting with the elixir herself. Her tone became sombre - Lowenthal decided to chime in on his thoughts of the potion himself. "Yes, an icon people are all too quick to forget the symbolism of. I've killed. More than once." Mari added, eyes darkening as she stared at Lowenthal, turning to face him.

"So you know what that means right?" Mari asked, as she approached the youth, pushing him down to sit into one of the many large cushions that littered the floor, so she was able to lean over him, staring at him right in the eye. "That you should watch what that lil' mouth o' yours says."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowenthal could feel the light drain from the room as Mari described the potion. "It can do all that?" Lowenthal asked aloud, mostly to himself. Not wanting his question answered. Then Mari turned to face him. The look on her face alone was enough to send shivers up his spine. Mari spoke, her words reaching him. Lowenthal took a few steps back as Mari approached him. Room ran out quickly however, and mari pushed him causing him to trip on a pillow. She wasn't a small woman when she shoved, it was like being pushed by a professional body builder. Lowenthal opened his eyes, only to meet Mari's. To his surprise, they were blue. A very peaceful blue, but behind them he could sense more. He took a big gulp before speaking. "With all due respect, I meant what I said. You are a very pretty woman." Lowenthal said, sticking to his guns. "However, I will be sure to keep that in mind." Lowenthal said, definitely keeping it to mind. Killed more than once, how many people had Mari killed? He shook his head gently, erasing the thought from his mind. "And on that note, Mari. You're getting awfully close." lowenthal said, trying to scoot back.

Even with the serious tone Mari left floating in the air as she described the potion, Takao's amazement persisted. He pulled the item a bit closer once her hands had left his and examined the starry contents a little closer. “With the way you say that, I'd almost think you meant it as a bad thing.†He cast her a fleeting sidelong glance, a smile still present even as he looked back at the item. “Even if it's only temporary, it could act as a reminder to somebody of what they're fighting for.†His tone, as usual, teeming at the brim with fervorous emotions. Or maybe it could open up old wounds.

At that point he was mostly speaking to himself, wondering if the item could be of any use to him at some point. By no means was he an unwavering statue of positivity, but he had a funny way of bringing light to his own problems. With other people, it was a bit more difficult. Speaking of which...

His ears twitched again as the conversation continued on behind him, having taken a very sudden shift. Talk of player killing and threats of sorts prompted him to turn around, item still in hand.

“So!†Takao suddenly chimed in. “How much for this then?†He said, glancing from the Starry Eyed Illusion to Mari.

Lowenthal seemed amazed that a simple potion could do so much. Mari shrugged. "To an extent, yes. It all depends on what your own mind is capable of - it fooled me into thinking someone whom has died, was alive. Then again; it may just be because I am that good of an alchemist."

Lowenthal gulped, still pressed against the pillow. He seemed nervous, after hearing about her past exploits. Mari left out details, about how at least two of those kills had been accidents - and that she still lamented each life she had taken. "Oh?" Mari breathed, leaning in closer still, running a finger down the side of his cheek. "And you think I am getting too close?" Mari asked, as she lowered herself into his lap. "My, my Lowenthal - perhaps you shouldn't be such a flirt." She gave him a mocking grin, giving his forehead another flick. "Don't worry - you're too young for me."

Mari turned to Takao. "Mmm... normally around 200 Col, but for you?" She glanced up and down his form, before offering him a devious grin. "Free. It isn't exactly meant as a bad thing, but it can very quickly turn into it. Imagine if you were near the edge of Aincrad and the potion made you believe it was a crystaline lake, and you dove in? You'd dive right off the edge, and inadvertently die."  Mari shifted her weight, making herself comfortable, giving Takao an earnest warning. "So I just ask to be careful."

Lowenthal had ignored the statement about how Mari's own potion affected her. He was much to, pre-occupied and was trying not to lose his cool. Lowenthal let out a nervous chuckle as Mari ran her finger down the side of face, and leaned in closer still. "Uhm, not uncomfortably so. But close, yes." Lowenthal said, his face now inches from Mari's own. Then he felt her flick his forehead again. Lowenthal let out a sigh as Mari said that he shouldn't flirt so much. "Eh, you're probably right. Boyfriend would mind it a little bit, I thinks." Lowenthal said, making himself comfortable. To his surprise however, Mari had decided to stay in his lap. "And what do you mean 'too young'?" Lowenthal asked, pretending to be offended. "I'll have you I will be turning twenty-two next month." He said, proudly addressing his own birthday. Lowenthal chuckled softly, when Mari gave him the potion for free. Lowenthal didn't mind that Mari, a player killer was sitting on his lap. It was actually, kind of nice. 

Takao mustered up a doleful smile as his eyes settled back on the item. It was a bit tricky then, but he imagined that it wouldn't be too much of an issue if he knew what he was getting into beforehand. “Yeah, I'd considered that.†Silence fell over him as he watched the two, eventually failing to suppress a light fit of chuckling. His attention settled back on the item that interested him. Even if it was a bit tricky, it was still an interesting oddity to possess. Their conversation went on, his ears only picking up bits and pieces until she addressed him again.

His eyes widened slightly as she offered the item for free, a beatific smile setting on his face. “Whoa, really?!†Takao looked from the potion to her, and then back again when she provided him with a fair warning. “So, you just mean use it responsibly, right? I can do that. Besides, even if I end up using it, I think my deepest desire is a bit more interesting than a lake. Even so, I'd feel bad if I just took it for free...†Takao's hand rubbed his chin in thought. An idea formed in his head, prompting him to snap his chin rubbing hand and look back to her.

“I know! How about I give you the crafting materials I've found so far instead? I don't have any use for them after all.â€

Mari didn't react when Lowenthal said he had a boyfriend - she didn't see the point in doing so. She assumed he stated his partner - to alleviate Mari of any concerns she had of him attempting to go further than a few flirtatious comments, he then stated his age, which was older than Mari had assumed. "Oh? I thought you were 16." She added as a jab at his expense. "Still, I prefer men a little older. I do wonder - will you spend it in here, or back in reality?" Mari pushed herself off of his lap. "I've only just discovered the Floor 11 boss - so, I suppose you'll be cooped up in Aincrad." 

It was a disappointing sentiment - but it was true nonetheless. Mari was never one to sugar coat things. She turned her attention to Takao, who was chuckling at the banter between Mari and Lowenthal. "Yes really." Mari said, amused at Takao innocent joy in receiving the item for free, she curled a strand of pink hair around her finger, tugging it every so often. "You got it in a nutshell cutie." She mused as he affirmed her statement. "You know, Takao...I couldn't help but notice the emphasis you placed on the word ' I ' you wouldn't be planning on giving it to someone else mm?" Mari stopped tugging on her hair, flashing Takao an almost dangerous smile. 

"I can't tell you what to do with it, rather - let good ol' Mari know if someone tries anything with you." She approached him and pressed a finger to his cheek. "Can't have anything happen to you now, can we mmm? As for the materials, they would be useful, but I won't ask for anything." Mari had to admit, she was somewhat enjoying the company of the two men, and it was clear her mood was slowly improving. No longer being in a constant state of cold, bitter hatred at the world around her.

"Now, Lowenthal..." Mari said, glancing over her shoulder at him. "I am sure you have some form of ulterior motive, pray tell what that may be?"

Lowenthal scratched the tip of his nose as Mari called him out. "Well now that you mention it." Lowenthal said, pulling a note out of his pocket. "Zelrius said that you have a cape that can negate fire damage. There is a member of Azure Brigade that I wish to spite. His name is Tristan, and he really likes that fire damage." Lowenthal said, completely honest. The note was actually handwritten from Zelrius, giving Lowenthal slight praise. "Also my guild was formed with the idea of 'training people for Azure'. I kind of don't like that idea anymore, and would like to branch out. Have the guild do it's own thing." Lowenthal said, trying the list of things that he wanted to talk to Mari about. "I already have a handful of members. And I'm concentrating on them more than getting new players. Better to be small and strong in my opinion." Lowenthal said, looking at Mari. The joke was there, albeit unintentional. Lowenthal chuckled, and hoped that Mari would be able to get everything that he so suddenly put out there.

The mention of a boss caught Takao's attention. He looked up from the potion without moving his head to glance over the two, his smile still lingering on the news that he'd be getting the potion for free. He didn't have much of a use for it at the moment, but he'd always been that type of gamer. Hoarding any item he thought might come in handy later was his peculiar play style, and this particular oddity had definitely caught his interest.

He shrugged in response to her question and rubbed the back of his head with his free hand. His warm expression didn't seem too phased by her dangerous smile. “Well, I don't have anything in mind if that's what you mean. I just figured it might come in useful for somebody.†His mind wandered for a moment, wondering what the potion would make him see. His mind was always so busy that the thought of his “deepest desire†was probably filled with a hundred different answers.

“Alright then, it's decided! One Starry Eyed Illusion fooorrr...†He let the last word linger for a moment as he opened his menu and navigated to his inventory. “Nine mats!†A few button presses later and a menu appeared in front of Mari with the details of the trade. True to his word, he offered nine materials in return for the item.

He looked toward Lowenthal as he began to speak of unfamiliar names and guilds. He blinked and looked on with a confused expression, but didn't press the matter verbally, instead opting to listen in silence.

"9? why thank you." Mari mused, somewhat surprised at the sheer amount that had been offered to her. "I'll keep you in mind when I make something else, I will throw that in for free too." 

Mari listened to what Lowenthal had to say, in the mean time she chose to sit next to him on the plush, pillow covered floor. Mari turned her attention toward Takao, noticing the look of  bewilderment on his face, she gestured for him to take a seat along with herself and Lowenthal on the ground. 
"Sit. Did you need us to explain?" Mari offered, "Guilds, please don't tell me I need to explain those...they are groups of people who are united under a leader, and work together for common goals and the betterment of the guild. I've had one for a while now -  Lowenthal has a new one - and you..." Mari paused, eyes looking to his health bar - "Don't have a guild. I suggest never  joining Absolute Pin."  

Mari turned her attention toward Lowenthal, accepting the note that he passed her, still feeding information to Takao. "Zelrius is the 'leader' o Azure Brigade, although that guild is run by a council. Zelrius is an egotistical wad, looks down on everyone." Mari's eyes flicked up to Lowenthal as she crumpled the letter. "I'd need a better reason than a letter from him, I don't give two sh*ts what he thinks, says, or even wants. If I were you I'd branch out, the last thing you need is to be under that blonde kid's thumb." Mari said with a brutal honesty.

Lowenthal nodded as Mari explained guilds to Takao. Simple concept nothing more, but needed to be known. "Yeah. Even though the system says that I'm the leader of The Velvet Room, I don't think of myself as that." Lowenthal said, explaining. "It's like Azure, where we have a council of five members and we vote on things. Makes it fairer to everyone else. And unlike Azure, we're actually open to people." Lowenthal then turned his attention to Mari. "And I'm trying to remove myself from under his thumb, but I don't want to end up losing the backing of Azure. RIch white kid happily giving me money and backing is always nice. And as for borrowing the cape, my whole reason is that I want to spite Azure. Show them that I'm," Lowenthal caught himself. "The Velvet Room, doesn't belong to them. But me and it's members." He said. "And you can say no. I'll just have to come up with a different plan of attack." Lowenthal said, now noting Takao's confusion. "Oh, I'm in a tournament series. Which other than Vaan, and Azazel. It's basically Azure Brigade giving themselves an excuse to beat each other off." Lowenthal said, regretting joining the tournament. He didn't help that he had lost nearly all of his matches. And the only one he had won was against Vaan, who had failed to show up in time.

The item in his hand disappeared as the transfer was completed. He flexed his hands a few times upon feeling the slight weight suddenly disappear from his grasp, then looked over to the two. "I might have to take you up on that offer." He smiled warmly. Mari gestured for him to sit so he moved a bit closer, sitting near them with his legs crossed. Takao shook his head when she asked if she needed to explain, and chuckled lightly when she gave a light explanation regardless. "I've played a bunch of MMOs before this one, so I'm pretty good on the terminology. I just didn't realize what those icons meant until now." He nodded when she pointed out his lacking of a guild. The thought of joining one hadn't crossed his mind until now.

He made mental notes about Absolute Pin and the Azure Brigade. Although the information was one sided, neither was appearing too appealing yet. The idea of a council was appealing, but he didn't doubt the instability of a group lead by those who would disrespect their peers. Lowenthal captured his attention with his explanations next, to which Takao listened intently. More mental notes were made about Azure, and he remained silent in order to process the information he'd been getting. "I should start looking for a guild to join up with then."

A snort followed by a snicker escaped despite his attempts to hold them back. "Hah. Beat each other off." The words never left his head, though the light chuckling said enough. "I'd heard about that tournament. Some people were betting on it, I think? It seemed interesting to watch, but I hadn't had the opportunity to."

"Well Takao, you seem like you have a smart head on your shoulders - I wouldn't mind if ya joined Cerulean Silence." She gave him a smirk, reaching out to brush chestnut locks back away from his eyes. "Yer sorta cute - so I'd make sure nothin' happened to you. I don't bother with a council. I'm the guild leader; you respect me and my authority and I'll respect you, and your opinions. I am blunt, to the point. I don't give a sh*t if people have an issue with what I do or say, if they don't like it, they will leave." 

Mari didn't sugar coat her words, sure, she wouldn't mind him in her guild, considering she had to kick out an inactive member soon but she wasn't going to lie to him. "In case you haven't noticed, Takao; I don't exactly do...." She rolled her hand around in a circular gesture. "People..." Her lips curled into a sneer, "People are d**ks." 

The conversation shifted toward the tournament. "mmm..."It was all Mari really had to say on the matter, she knew Azazel was in it, and would bet for her, but she had to agree with what Lowenthal said. "One of my guild members is in it, she has my full support, but I do see how its a bit of a ego boosting session." She said with a yawn.

"Which brings me back to what you want, Lowe - I rarely use the cape; so if you want to borrow it for that week. Then I ask for 10 materials in return - and acknowledgement that if you fail to bring it back, I will hunt you down. I may not use it, but someone gave it to me, and I-." She bit her tongue. She almost admitted she had some sort of sentimental attachment to the thing. Almost.

Lowenthal chuckled at Mari's statement. "He is cute. I mean if he was a bit older." Lowenthal jested. "And you don't do people? What's this then? You're sitting down with two complete strangers, and engaging in civil conversation." Lowenthal said, stating the obvious. "But even so, glad to see that I'm better than-" He copied Mari's hand movement. "People." He chuckled, but turned serious when Mari spoke to him. "Ten materials? Easy Peasy. And I may be a 'Dashing Rapscallion' but I am a man of word." Lowenthal said. "The only way I will not return that cape, is if I am dead." Lowenthal said, looking quite serious. "But I digress. How's that swimsuit treating you?" Lowenthal asked Mari, referring to the latex one piece he made when he first became a tailor.

Takao felt heat swell in his face as his freckled cheeks adopted a slight shade of red. He reacted to the compliments by grinning wide and rubbing the back of his head. The slight touch of Mari brushing his hair out of his face only added to the growing warmth in his face. “Aw, c'mon guys.†The topic shifted back to the guild and his grinning settled into a mild smile.

He supported his weight on his arms as he leaned back, nodding along with everything she said to acknowledge he was listening. “That's fair. I'd like to give being in a guild a go anyways, it could be fun! I could meet some new people too.†He glanced over at Mari and examined the guild icon for a moment, before shifting his attention to her. “I'll give it a try, if you'll have me.â€

Takao found himself falling quiet for the conversation that followed. He didn't know much about the tournament despite being tempted to place a few bets at random. Having never been much of a gambler, however, meant he prioritized other things. Takao also knew virtually nothing about the cape or any sentimental attachments, and he knew better than to go prying into that sort of thing so soon. He sat and maintained a small smile as the two conversed.

(Takao if you are serious about joining Cerulean Silence you're accepted; just check out the guild thread located in my signature and feel free to join the guild quest, I will be replying to that tomorrow- I will also work on your CS signature after work: sorry for super lame post, its bed time bed time)

"I don't think your partner would appreciate that." Mari muttered toward Lowenthal, as he flirted with Takao. Mari had to think about his next words, in a sense, Lowenthal was right. She was sitting down, and she was conversing with them, she wouldn't exactly call it civil, but at the same time she had yet to loose her temper. "Don't push it." She muttered, when he made a boastful statement about being better than people. He then asked her about her one piece. "It works." She said with a shrug as she stood, opening up her HUD to switch into it, de-quipping the rest of her armour in favour of it. Now wearing naught but her thigh high black boots, her latex one piece - and the white Phoenix cloak. "I have yet to use it to go material hunting though."

She turned her gaze to a blushing Takao. "Oh? Well then - CS would be happy to have you. I work on a system of you are only as good as the weight you pull. IF you are useless to the guild, then you'll be dropped. Cerulean has many independent players within her ranks, but I also want to have them work as a unit. So I will be undertaking each quest with the guild. Hitting hard and fast we will be able to efficiently wipe everything out. Feel free to join them. Rather, I recommend it. You can meet your new people then."

"Oh Clarence?" Lowenthal said. "Yeah, you're probably right." He said, chuckling. His chuckling stopped however when Mari stood and equipped the bathing suit. Lowenthal blushed for a moment, and studied her body. He could see the mistakes he had made. He was only rank one back then. "Well, I'm glad you find it suiting enough. Glad it's tailored to suit your means." Lowenthal said, rubbing his temple at his own puns. "Sorry. Feeling giddy, and I don't know why." Lowenthal said, being truthful. Perhaps it was the smells in the room. Or the thought of Clarence in his mind. ""And sorry Takao, for dragging you along, and not including you in our conversations. Kind of rude of me. BUt hey, congrats on joining Cerulean." Lowenthal said, congratulating him.

Mari had Takao's undivided attention while explaining the workings of the guild, to which he nodded along with. He would have to pull his own weight, that much he expected. That was part of being in a team, and he was far from being a freeloader looking for an easy ride. For the duration of her speaking he wore a confident smile, not from arrogance stemming from his abilities but rather the belief that he'd be given the chance to show her and the guild that he was worth their time. He had a liking to proving himself, the end result always felt more genuine. When she explained that the players were most independent, his interest increased. He was curious to see how a group of players that were accustomed to their own methods would work together as a team. His eyebrows twitched upward when she mentioned they would be undergoing the process of doing every quest. "Every quest, huh? That's quite the undertaking." He rubbed the length of his jawline before flashing her another smile. "I'm in."

Takao's gaze turned from Mari to Lowenthal when the conversation shifted, his smile changing from confident to reassuring - boy, did he have an vast arsenal of emotive smiles. "No worries, man! It's all good. I mean, I got to meet Mari and got t'know some stuff, plus I joined a guild! To be honest, I should be thanking you for all the help. So, thanks!"

"It is, but we need it. We are all strong - solo players. And as such , we need to focus on our teamwork. Those who fail working as a team will be culled. I don't have time to mess around, nor do the members of my guild.  Farming the quests will give us all a SP boost, to focus on our skills." 

Mari shrugged, ignoring what was a subtle double 
entente he had made, "Its not exactly something I would wear on a daily basis. I'd rather something less..." She ran her hands down the sides of her body, the material was tight against her skin. Mari gave a slight shake of her head, it was awfully revealing, despite covering most of her body. "Tight and revealing, but at the end of the day, if it works - it works." She commented; revealing her slight annoyance with they way it was crafted. Still, Mari wasn't going to knock it back. It had proven to be useful, time and time again. 

The conversation seemed to be wrapping up. "Well; if that is all you need of me. You two best be off. I have matters to take care of, namely - material hunting." 

Lowenthal stood up, leaving the comfort of the pillow. "Well, I think I've abused your hospitality long enough." Lowenthal said, stretching his arms behind his head. "It was nice chatting with you Mari. I'll catch you later." Lowenthal opened his friend menu, and sent them both a friend request. Hopefully Mari would accept it, it would be nice to call upon Mari should he need help. And she was an experienced guild leader, so he would be able to ask questions should he need to. "And I'll catch you later Takao, should you need me for anything. Give me a ring." Lowenthal said, leaving the tent and leaving the two alone.