[SP-F1] <<The First Few Lessons are Free>> Not Dying Immediately [Complete]

He snapped the stem! Gwydion was utterly inept at anything plant related.

The wolf bolted to the plant's old location as Gwydion jerked back. It didn't attack; it seemed transfixed by the smell. The beast's eyes crossed, and Gwydion swore he saw a canine smile cross its face. Was it some sort of drug for wolves?

It rolled on its back, tongue out like a dog, panting. Gwydion was half tempted to give it a rub. But in an instant it was back up, snarling. Why did the wolf react so strongly this time, but not the others? The smell was more powerful...

He should... do something. Kill the monster, probably. With his luck, the wolf would just continue chasing forever. But it just gave a cute display. How could he kill something so cute?

Gwydion shrugged. It was fake. He raised his blade, but made no stance; this was not an honorable kill, just a play for drops.

[Wolf] [HP: 6] [DMG: 8]
[Gwydion] [HP: 20 (miss)] [EN: 2 (1 + 1)] [MIT: 17 (8 from Heavy Armor) (9 from Mitigation Enhancement)] [DMG: 2 (1 from Damage Enhancement)]

(93934 - LD 10, MD 5)

Edited by Gwydion

The wolf pounced. He placed his palm under the beast, helping it leap over him, then removed the hand. It fell, and Gwydion slashed, leaving a red scar on the wolf's back. It didn't seem to be getting up any time soon.

Gwydion noticed a few boars snorting and drawing near.

"Alright, no, I'm not in the mood for this - c'mere, bud," he said, hefting the wolf and carrying it over his shoulder. He dashed down the road. The boars gave sloth-like chase for a second, then quit, looking like a street gang that just saw a cop.

Gwydion felt claws on his back. "Rude," he said, tossing down the wolf. "That's a coward's tactic. And when I saved your life! I think I'll take it now."

It growled. Attacked. He dodged.

"No comment?"

It swiped, missed.

"Alright."

Gwydion gripped his sword. Two more blows should do it. He hoped to whatever gods might be watching that he wouldn't miss.

[Wolf] [HP: 4 (2 damage)] [DMG: 8]
[Gwydion] [HP: 20 (miss)] [EN: 1 (2 + 1 - 1)] [MIT: 17 (8 from Heavy Armor) (9 from Mitigation Enhancement)] [DMG: 2 (1 from Damage Enhancement)]

(93935 - BD 8, MD 1)

Edited by Gwydion

He swung his blade, looking for a nice, clean blow on the wolf's forehead. It moved, of course, and since Gwydion committed too much force to the attack, he stumbled. He heard the wolf fly over him, then land with impact.

Well, here they were, the lowest of the low, save for those boars. Gwydion was the weakest you could possibly be in this game, and the wolf was both fake and stupid. He felt a kinship with the beast. The winner of this conflict would emerge an improved man/wolf; Gwydion would gain an item or something, and the wolf would have bragging rights with its buddies: "Gois, gois, you won't behleeeve wot I did. I keel'd an ahdvenchur, all by moi'self." His friends, one of them being a giant red dragon, would laugh with a dismissive wave. "Yesh, but did you shlay a whole guild? I tell you, I killed every one of them playersh, frontline, backline, midline, and whatever other linesh they have.

[Wolf] [HP: 4 (miss)] [DMG: 8]
[Gwydion] [HP: 20 (miss)] [EN: 0 (1 + 1 - 2)] [MIT: 17 (8 from Heavy Armor) (9 from Mitigation Enhancement)] [DMG: 2 (1 from Damage Enhancement)]

(93937 - BD 1, MD 2)

Edited by Gwydion

Gwydion's imagination was on overdrive. His arm felt that numbness again, so he didn't even bother to get up. He turned his head to watch the wolf, which zoomed over him, smashing into the dirt road. Multiple times. Was its AI broken?

His mind was numb, too. This fight was the longest he'd ever be in, probably. He began to drift as you do in the shower, constructing a power fantasy...

Gwydion soared through the sky on great fiery wings. His blade was wreathed in flame and his armor glowed red. Nothing could harm him, here, not even God himself; he was above the heavens.

His keen eyes picked out the slightest movement below. He plunged down, breaking the sound barrier, and struck the earth with a resounding boom. The wolf looked up, fear in its eyes, and Gwydion struck down the foul beast. Its body burned and shriveled away.

[Wolf] [HP: 4] [DMG: 8]
[Gwydion] [HP: 20 (miss)] [EN: 1 (0 + 1)] [MIT: 17 (8 from Heavy Armor) (9 from Mitigation Enhancement)] [DMG: 2 (1 from Damage Enhancement)]

(93961 - BD 4, MD 1) (I initially forgot I couldn't attack)

Edited by Gwydion

Gwydion stood, fatigued, and made a lazy slash. It missed. He slunk back to the ground, paying no mind to the wolf, resuming his waking dream...

And so the canine legions were summoned. Their leader, the Alpha Predator, sped across the plains, leading an army of wolves. Their tongues wagged.

Gwydion raised his blade to the air, and a pillar of holy radiance shot down and engulfed him. It seeped into his being, filling him with divine warmth. His eyes glowed yellow, then, and the beam closed, leaving his brilliant form - a star from the skies. The wolves cowered, and even the Alpha, known for his fearless savagery, hesitated.

But they composed themselves and pounded on. Their steps made the ground rumble, and soon they were upon him, flooding around. Whenever wolves neared, Gwydion brought his wrathful gaze on them, and their flesh burned to the bone with bright fire.

[Wolf] [HP: 4 (miss)] [DMG: 8]
[Gwydion] [HP: 20 (miss)] [EN: 0 (1 + 1 - 2)] [MIT: 17 (8 from Heavy Armor) (9 from Mitigation Enhancement)] [DMG: 2 (1 from Damage Enhancement)]

(93964 - BD 5, MD 1)

Edited by Gwydion

The wolf landed a solid hit on his back. Yes, it was improving. Good, good...

He returned to his stupor....

Only the Alpha Predator withstood his stare. It returned an icy, piercing look, which Gwydion had to admit unsettled him. This was a powerful beast. Perhaps he'd find his first challenge since the Battle of the Golden Gates, two thousand years ago.

The Alpha had a jagged spine along its back, the tips fading to blue. Its fur was bloodstained, and where it had no fur, cyan veins pulsed below its rough skin. The beast launched itself with a kick, breaking the ground behind it. Gwydion barely dodged. He sliced a long streak through the Alpha's side, but his sword did not penetrate far. He'd have to find a weak spot.

They again locked sight. Each exerting their will, they engaged in an unseen pushing match. Gwydion began to feel chilled, but a small flame erupted on the wolf's skin, which quickly went out.

[Wolf] [HP: 4] [DMG: 8]
[Gwydion] [HP: 20 (8 + 2 - 17)] [EN: 1 (0 + 1)] [MIT: 17 (8 from Heavy Armor) (9 from Mitigation Enhancement)] [DMG: 2 (1 from Damage Enhancement)]

(93965 - BD 9, MD 10) (I initially forgot I couldn't attack)

Edited by Gwydion

Gwydion awoke. He felt... stronger. More capable, somehow. His body was suffused by a kind of warmth; was that the sun or lingering divinity?

He conjured the image of Gwydion, the mighty hero. In a melding of imagination and reality - or, virtual reality - he saw the wolf's spines, its cold, blue eyes. Taking his blade in hand, he charged, the wind blowing his hair. Anticipation...

The Alpha broke the match, leaping, massive maw stretched, rows of teeth exposed...

The wolf bared its fangs, burst forward...

Gwydion's sword flashed with an explosion of light, and he stomped, holding it above...

He brought it down, cleaving the wolf's head in two. Its body broke into a million cyan particles.

He brought it down, ripping the Alpha's soul, and its body ruptured; a cyan explosion tore across the plains.

Gwydion slumped to the ground. It was over. He conquered the wolf. A screen flashed in front of him.

It said: "Items Acquired. x2 Tier One Materials. 60 Col."

[Wolf] [HP: 0 (4 - (2 + 2))] [DMG: 8]
[Gwydion] [HP: 20 ((8 + 2) - 17)] [EN: 1 (1 + 1 - 1)] [MIT: 17 (8 from Heavy Armor) (9 from Mitigation Enhancement)] [DMG: 2 (1 from Damage Enhancement)]

(93966 - BD 10, MD 2)

(93967 - LD 18, CD 2)

Edited by Gwydion

Gwydion felt exalted in his victory. While the battle lulled in the middle, the end was absolutely glorious. He'd make sure to improve his damage, somehow, to make sure that never happened again. 

He resumed his search for silver flowers, looking about the road as he strolled back to the Town of Beginnings. Soon, he saw silver petals peeking out behind the stone wall.

Gwydion walked up to it, confident. He knelt down, then paused.

No, there weren't wolves around. Good. But if he had to fight a boar, he might throw himself off Aincrad. So he was extremely careful to dig underground and take the plant by its roots.

(93971 - LD 19, Success)

And he did! He was finally finished with his task. Now he'd return to Zackaria to complete the quest and ask why he was sent to the forest. Hopefully he'd get something useful; he sure worked long and hard for it.

Edited by Gwydion

Gwydion reentered the gate. He was glad to be in safety; though monsters couldn't hurt him on this floor - presumably - players could. But not in the Town of Beginnings, a massive city of white and orange, timed by a clock tower.

He surfed the crowds to the street again, and this time dodged all interaction. He turned down the alley and marched up to Zackaria's door.

Gwydion pushed, but the door wouldn't budge. He tried harder, to no avail.

The old, grumpy voice yelled from inside. "Just knock!" Floorboards squeaked as thumps grew louder.

Zackaria's face was shocked when he opened the door to a grinning Gwydion, five silver flowers grasped firmly.

"Surprised? You shouldn't be. I'm a master gatherer, after all... it only took me, what, twenty attempts? Now why didn't you tell me about the wolves?"

He walked into the building, smelling again the sulfur and lavender; and the new scent of sandalwood.

Edited by Gwydion

Zackaria spoke with mouth agape. "You mean you didn't die?"

"Yes." He strode behind the central table. "Now you've got alchemy to show me."

"Damn it. New players are the worst. I hoped you wouldn't bother me again. Or anyone."

Wait. Zack wanted him to die? What kind of beginner quest was this? Well, one thing was certain: the NPCs were not mindless. He shot an evil glare at Zackaria, who relented at its force. The old man crept to the table, this time on the other side. Gwydion sat in the chair and laid the flowers out.

"I sit the-"

"Potion."

"Right." Zackaria picked up a bottle, the contents red and with foam on top. "I prepared this in case you... came back. Now, mix it - but not yet. Cut the root off. Then get that green stuff. I'm not saying what it is. I don't have to. Right, that's it."

(93972 - CD 12 - Perfect Quality Success)

Without further word from Zack, Gwydion shook the red bottle, poured in green, corked it, grabbed the root, uncorked, placed it in.

Zackaria said, "You... are observant. That was perfect." Eyebrows raised, he actually clapped.

"Get on with it, man. What next? The quest isn't complete."

Sighing, Zack trudged to the corner, grabbing a large wooden crate. "Just take this to Lyle. He's a few streets over."

Gwydion took it quite forcibly from the man's hands, then walked outside and slammed the door. An NPC just tried to kill him, though indirectly. He wouldn't be doing business with that alchemist.

Edited by Gwydion

Gwydion carried the crate. It blocked his vision, as it was a rather large crate; so he nearly tripped in the sea of people. But he continued, knowing the quest was drawing to an end. He'd finally be done! It'd taken a day!

He realized Zack hadn't given him actual instructions.

Gwydion crawled about the city for the better part of an hour, and by the end his arms hurt. He found the blacksmith's shop, though, by a sign saying 'Lyle Tealeaf's Smithy.'

He knocked, and the door swung open. Another old man. This one better not try for his death.

Lyle had short hair and a long beard, both white. He accepted the crate and carried it inside. Gwydion followed, watching the NPC set it down and rummage through it.

"Here, take this for your trouble." Lyle handed over a good bundle of potions.

"And, if you're interested, I've been running low on -"

"NO."

"Er, later, maybe. Have a nice day, good sir!" Gwydion bowed.

Thread Summary                                                                                              

460 Col (Page of posts: 400. Wolf: 60.)
3 SP (Page of posts: 1. Quest: 2.)
2 Tier One Materials (Wolf: 2.)
5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (Quest: 5.)
1 Tier One Damage Potion (Quest: 1.)
1 Tier One Overhealth Potion (Quest: 1.)