[SP - F1] The First Few Lessons are Grind-y

4402d5d93ac7a13c38b36586911ddae8.jpg

"Can I help you with something?"

Moira glanced up from the shelf of bottles she had been studying. Each one was uniquely colored, some squaty, some long and slender. The liquids inside appeared distinct as well, though Moira did not know enough to be sure. The sunlight that filtered through the many windows glimmered off the fragile objects, giving them a sort of magical quality. It was a shame she was dirt poor.

"No," she answered easily, "but thank you. I'm just browsing."

"Can I give you some advice, then?"

Now Moira truly gave the man her attention, blinking owlishly at him, before answering, "I beg your pardon?"

He was tall and willowy, with a mane and beard of silver-grey. Eyes of brilliant green were mere slits beneath bushy eyebrows, but they sparkled with unspoken humor as he regarded her. "I was curious if  you might like some advice."

The woman's gaze narrowed with suspicion. "What kind of advice?"

Edited by Moira

He gave a knowing smile, and answered, "Whatever kind you need."

Moira's lips pursed as she studied the man behind the counter. He was a NPC, a fact made clear by a close investigation, but he was behaving incredibly strangely. "I'm good," she stated tersely, deciding this whole situation was a waste of her time. "But thanks."

"I'd like some advice!" The third party to enter the conversation was a young boy, surely no older than twelve or thirteen. This, Moira knew, was a fellow player. If his tell-tale beginner garb didn't give it away, the bright smile plastered across his face did. So young, she mused. How terrible to be trapped in a place like this at such a ripe age.

The bearded NPC grinned down at the boy, reminiscent of a department-store Santa Claus. "Well, you're in luck, because I have some advice for you both." He cast a quick glance at Moira, and though he was a NPC, she could somehow pick up on his meaning. It's a kid. Don't ruin it for the kid.

"What is it?" the boy demanded excitedly.

"Well," the shopkeep began, "I'm afraid I can't give it to you until I know both your names."

Now, the child was nearly bouncing on the balls of his feet. "I'm Brad." When the NPC said nothing, waiting expectantly, Brad turned to face Moira. "Tell him who you are!"

The woman drew in a small breath, exhaled, and answered, "Moira."At this, the old man's smile quirked into something more like a smirk. He finds this amusing, Moira thought to herself, mixed parts annoyed and baffled. 

"Brad and Moira," he echoed. "That's just wonderful. My name is Zackariah."

The sandy-haired boy simply beamed. "Nice to meet you, Zackariah!"

"And so polite, too!" Zackariah chuckled, shaking his head. "Now, are you ready for your advice?"

Brad said nothing, but nodded so violently that Moira feared his head would fly off. In fact, she had a very unusual visual of it toppling off his tiny frame and rolling right out the door. It was the sound of Zackariah's sage voice that drew her back to reality.

"Your advice has to do with how to make money here in Aincrad."

Now that caught Moira's attention. If she'd been a dog, her ears would have perked up. As it was, she was suddenly hanging on the man's every word.

His eyes twinkled, as if he already knew just which of Moira's buttons to push. "The first thing you need to do is to gather materials. Travel into the woods, and find me the following items." From the pocket of his tunic, he withdrew a crumpled paper. How many people have received this same list? Moira found herself wondering as she accepted it. "Collect them, and bring them back here. After that, I'll show you what to do with them."

"And how to sell them for profit?" Moira asked with the sharp, matter-of-fact efficiency of a businesswoman.

But her question was answered only by one of Brad's. "We get to sell stuff?" he asked eagerly. "Like a lemonade stand? I had a lemonade stand once. My mom made up a bunch of the stuff, and we set up a little table on the sidewalk, and sold lemonade in little cups for like a quarter each. And we made SO much money, see, because it was so hot out, and-"

Brad was still babbling like a brook, but Moira's attention was solely reserved for Zackariah. 

He nodded. "I'll explain it all when you get back."

"You'd better, pal," the white-haired woman shot back, wagging a finger at him. "If I find out that you're just using us for free labor, I'll be seriously pissed off."

As if a switch had been flipped, Brad stopped mid-word, and swung to face Moira. "Hey," he whined, "that's not a good word. My mom says you shouldn't say stuff like that."

She grit her teeth, and her attempted smile was more like a grimace. He's a kid, she reminded herself. Be nice. 

"So are we gonna work together, like a team?"

Brad's newest question startled her. "Uh," she answered dumbly. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"B'why not?" The boy's big, baby-blue eyes gazed up at her with such childish confusion that she nearly choked. "We both have to find the stuff, right? And two eyes would be better than one!"

She refrained from correcting his eye comment, and merely heaved a massive sigh. He's a kid. You can do one nice thing for a kid. "Fine. Okay. Whatever."