COMPLETE [OP-F2] Materials aren't going to farm themselves!

Ishida's stock of crafting materials was bone dry.  How was he supposed to advance his Blacksmith skill when he didn't have anything to work with?  It was this necessity that brought him to the second floor in the first place.  He could have played it safe and stuck with farming materials on the first floor, where there wasn't much danger of combat, but that method of gathering proved to be unreliable in comparison to taking down appropriately leveled monsters.  That being said--the idea of battling to the death scared him.  The teenager hadn't engaged in combat yet and the prospect of being permanently erased from existence was petrifying.

However, he knew there would be no gain in this world if he didn't put himself out there, which is exactly why he was standing face to face with a Lv2 Trembling Ox.  The raven-haired warrior reached across his abdomen and wrapped his cloth gloved fingers about the leather-twisted handle of his straight sword, Blackfang.  Ishida promptly drew the blade and lifted his blackened shield, which was equipped on his other arm, up to a proper defensive position.

Unleashing a battle cry, the boy charged forward at the beast and made his attack.

» ID# 43766
» BD: 1
» MD: 8

His sword swung wide and quite clearly missed the beastly ox.  Unfortunately, it also left him open for the ox to clobber him squarely without much resistance on his behalf--that is, aside from the natural defense that came along with the Wall of Night being equipped.

Ishida DMG: 0 (Critical miss)
Ox DMG: 6 - 9 = 1

Spoiler

Ishida
HP: 11/12
EP: 3/3
DMG: 4
MIT: 9

Trembling Ox
HP: 8/8
DMG: 6
MIT: 2

Edited by Ishida

The anger visible on Ishida's face was quite understandable.  Coming all the way out here and getting beaten by a lowly Ox wasn't his idea of an accomplishment.  After the last engagement of attacks, he took a step back and reassessed the situation while raising his shield back into place.  He didn't want to let the mob get the upper hand again.

This time, he thought, he would attempt a sword art.  While he didn't have much practice in actually utilizing one of his sword techniques on creatures, he had used them against training dummies in town.  Ishida was familiar with the concept but now it was time for him to test his mettle.  Again, he charged in against the Ox who reared up and attempted to slam its head into the mass of his upper torso.  Prepared for the attack this time, the teenager thrust his shield out to slam it directly into the creature's face, deflecting the attack at once while he drew his sword back and prepared his own assault.

Blackfang took on a light glow as he readied his attack.  The illumination of the blade was the telltale sign of the preparation of a sword art; Snake Bite, to be exact.  Quickly, he slashed twice at the Ox in rapid succession, each attack hitting home with the illusion of expert precision.  Illusory, digital wounds appeared where Ishida had struck and before he knew it, the mob exploded into thousands of shimmering pixels.

He had defeated his first mob.

» ID# 43769
» BD: 10
» MD: 4
» LD: 13

Sword Art: Snake Bite (2x1)

Ishida DMG: ((4 + 2) * 2) - 2 = 10
Ox DMG: 0

Loot: +1 Material, +40 Col

Spoiler

Ishida
EP: 1/3

Trembling Ox (DEFEATED)
HP: 0/8

Edited by Ishida

"Well, that was easy enough--I guess."  It was and wasn't.  It frustrated Ishida to no end that his physical prowess in this game had no direct relation his actual abilities.  He felt like he was moving with the grace of a toddler just learning how it's body functioned.  Honestly, how does one miss a monstrous ox with a longsword?  It is the equivalent of attempting to hit the broad side of a barn when you're close enough to touch it.

With his energy mostly depleted, he decided it was time to scavenge the land for additional materials rather than take on another ox.  He preferred to have that energy to perform Sword Arts in his back pocket in case things got dicey.  As his one missing point of health regenerated, Ishida moved over to a small, rocky outcropping and began to dig at it in search of materials.

• ID# 44233
  • LD: 9

Nothing was found.

Edited by Ishida

There still seemed to be another strike in the gathering node he was currently working on so Ishida took another stab at pulling out a crafting mat for his Blacksmithing.  He was desperately in need of them.  Crafting--the creation of something--was one of the few things he found most enjoyable in this world.  He wanted nothing more than to walk around sporting his own self-crafted equipment in all its glory and have others marvel at its craftsmanship.  One day...

• ID# 44234
  • LD: 8

That day would be a long day off if he kept striking out on gathering just like he was now.  No salvageable material was found in that node.

Edited by Ishida

Another ox was steadily making its way into Ishida's comfort zone.  Despite the beast not being as aggressive as some of the monsters on this floor, he still didn't really care for it lurking around him as he was busy with other stuff.  In a normal game, he wouldn't have paid a second thought to it but in SAO, where the unexpected is expected and death loomed around every corner, he didn't want to take any chances.

"Get outta here," he said as he strafed to the side and made his way to another jagged stretch of rock to mine.  He knew the beast didn't understand him or recognize speech but that didn't stop him from saying his peace.

Quickly, he went about mining the vein as his depleted energy fully refilled.

• ID# 44239
  • LD: 1

Nothing.  He figured as much.

Edited by Ishida

"Are you kidding me?  This RNG is crap!" Frustration was beginning to mount within Ishida as he struck out again.  He knew he would have better success dealing with the mobs but that was far more dangerous than just hopping from point to point gathering. However, that entire idea of "danger" seemed to go out the window when he started to get angry.

Ishida turned and faced the ox that was no more than a few yards away from him.  He readied for battle, unsheathing his sword and raising his shield, just before charging in and swinging at the monster with a quick downward slash.

• ID# 44241
  • BD: 8
  • MD: 8

A solid hit.  His sword bit into the flank of the unsuspecting ox, splitting its virtual hide and leaving it with a nice, glowing wound.  The ox didn't seem to appreciate the attack as it immediately rotated upon its hooves and took a goring leap forward.  The horns crushed against the protection of his black shield but the residual force of the strong headbutt was still felt through his body.

Spoiler

Ishida

Trembling Ox
HP: 6/8

Edited by Ishida

"You didn't like that, did you?!"  He yelled, goading the ox on.  Ishida quickly situated his blade; it was now held horizontally with the length of the blade leveled off against the bulk of the monster's frame.  Holding his shield up before him, he took a leading step forward and slashed at the Trembling Ox along the same path he had queued up just moments ago.

• ID# 44244
  • BD: 5
  • MD: 2

A swing and a miss.  Ishida wasn't entirely sure how he missed something as big and bulky as the ox but as clear as day, his blade swung over the top of the monster and met no resistance.  Luckily, the Ox's reprisal was as successful as his own, just a glancing blow off of the frame of his shield.  No damage was sustained by either combatant.

Spoiler

Ishida

Trembling Ox

Edited by Ishida

Davros wandered through the field on the second floor. Rumors told that some weaker mobs than normal spawned in this area, and he was looking to get some mats quickly. He called himself a dungeon hunter, due to the fact that his equipment and skill points gave him boosts to find dungeons, but, as it happened, those same enhancements applied to material hunting as well. Compared to dungeon hunting, mat hunting was a piece of cake, especially since he had gotten that special piece of equipment from his friend Ebony. He charged into a group of butterflies, whirling his whip around and destroying the small group. Attacking butterflies wasnt all that hard, and it certainly wasnt impressive in the least, but it did get materials.

Equipment:

Spoiler

Dungeon Hunters Earring: Skill Rank: Search and Detect (+1 LD)

Shining Icicle: +3 LD, +1 Prosperity

Mat Hunters Earring: +3 Accuracy

Spoiler

ID# 44246

BD: 9 (Tornado: -2 EN

LD: 15 (+6)= 21 

Loot Earned: 4 Mats

Davros: HP: 36 EN: 7 (-2

Butterfly: 0/2 (-3)

Total Loot: 4 Mats

Ishida was on the attack again.  He charged into the monster ox with his shield raised while lunging forward with a stabbing thrust from his sword-wielding arm.  He hoped that he would completely skewer the beast and bring him closer to defeat.

• ID# 44248
  • BD: 2
  • MD: 9

Cardinal had other plans, though.  He missed again and actually sailed right past the surprisingly nimble ox, who in turn, gave him a solid headbutt in the backside as he rolled on past.

"Come on!  Just go down, already!"

Spoiler

Ishida
HP: 10/12

Trembling Ox

Edited by Ishida

"All right, ox," he said in a low growl.  "Let's get down to it."

Once again, he needed to rely on his sword art, Snake Bite, to take down an ox of this caliber.  His arm locked into position with his sword angled to the side, which gave a good view of the glow that started to emanate from its dark blade.  The teenager's eyes narrowed upon his prey; those reddish brown eyes narrowed to venomous slits as he finished preparing his technique.

Screaming as he charged, he bolted in and laid into the ox with two fierce slashes, hoping he had the strength behind his attack to vanquish the mob.

• ID# 44254
  • BD: 9
  • MD: 9
  • LD: 16

And--he hit home with both strikes.  A two-hit combo in quick succession, laying into the beast and scattering him to the wind as an explosion of pixels just as it collided against the resistant might of the Wall.

Sword Art: Snake Bite (2x1)

Ishida DMG: ((4 + 1) * 2) - 2 = 8
Ox DMG: (6 + 1) - 9 = 1

Loot: +1 Material, +40 Col

Spoiler

Ishida
HP: 9/12
EP: 1/3

Trembling Ox (DEFEATED)
HP: 0/8

Edited by Ishida

While the pixels of the slaughtered ox were still fresh in the air, Ishida swung his blade around and angled the tip of the sword into the sheath at his hip.  Blackfang fell effortlessly back into its protective casing as he turned to investigate the sounds of combat in the immediate area, where he found a young man easily beating about a group of butterflies with a whip.  Judging by how easily the man dispatched the butterflies, he easily figured the monsters on this floor were no match for him.

I didn't even know whips were in this game... he thought in silence.

Cautiously, Ishida approached the other man and raised his hand in a gesture to get his attention--it was kind of like a half wave.  He stopped as soon as they were within a few yards of one another.  He was close enough now to have a conversation without needing to yell.

"Hey there.  It looks like you're also farming materials.  Would you care to join up?  It's really difficult to level up my blacksmithing when I'm bone dry on materials."

Davros coiled his whip and placed it on his belt before turning to face the new person. "I wouldn't mind that. I'm a dungeon hunter by trade, but the same enhancements that help with that also make material hunting a piece of cake for me." He explained. If he joined up with the player they would likely have to split what they got fifty-fifty, and he would probably be pulling all of the weight. He didn't really like that, but material hunting could be boring, so he might as well have some company while doing it. "I'm Davros. Nice to meet you."

Spoiler

ID# 44261 results:

Battle: 7

Loot: 7+6=13 Fail

"A dungeon hunter?  That sounds pretty cool.  It's nice to meet you too.  I'm Ishida."

Ishida swiped his hand in front of his face to access his system menu.  Quickly, he flew through the dialogues and prompts to send out a party invite to Davros.  Once again, it looked like someone was going to be a saint and carry him through the hassles of being low leveled.  While some actively sought to get pushed through content while doing as little work as possible, he hated it.  He wanted to do nothing more than survive on his own and be of use to others.

"I'm a tank in training, you could say.  I lack the proper gear and skills right now but my mind is set.  That's why I'm out here--I'm trying to gather some blacksmithing materials so I can raise my level and craft myself some new gear.  It's very tedious."

He raised his self-crafted shield, which was aptly named The Wall of Night, before continuing.

"Made myself a pretty good shield but that's only the tip of the iceberg.  So, how do you want to do this?"

Spoiler

ID# 44273 results:

Battle: 10

Craft: 2

Loot: 18+6= 24

Davros smiled at the news that he was with a tank of sorts. "Well, even a tank in training is better than no tank at all." He said light heartedly. "I'm a blacksmith too, but i've never actually opened a shop. I can make a better living gathering materials and finding dungeons for people who cant afford to spend their skill points to do it themselves." He pulled his whip off of his belt, uncoiling it before cracking it in the air. In a few swift strides he walked over to another swarm of butterflies and knocked down another four. "These are the best for getting materials, at least in my experience. Just whack a few and hope for material drops." He explained.

Davros: HP: 36 EN: 6 (-2)

Butterfly: 0/2 (-4)

Total Loot: 8 Mats

"A couple of more levels and I should be able to hold aggro pretty well but until then, I'm just hoping they hit me instead of anyone else."

Before he realized it, Davros was engaging another set of butterflies--and just as quickly as the engagement began, it was over.  All the butterflies were vaporized and Ishida had hardly drawn his sword from its scabbard.  The teen stood there, blinking a few times in astonishment before he caught sight of another group of fluttering insects nearby.

Ishida needed another few moments out of combat to replenish his missing energy, though, so rather than charge in immediately, he took the time to search the ground around him for any loose ore about the miscellaneous rocks.

• ID# 44284
  • LD: 9

However, he found nothing.

"I have to warn you.. I'm pretty unlucky when it comes to getting drops."

Edited by Ishida

"Okay, here goes nothing!"  His energy had replenished once again, allowing him the option to use a sword art against the horde of butterflies.  It would be considerably easier to take them down in a single blow rather than execute them one by one.  Sometimes, he wasn't given that option, however.  Readying his sword, Ishida charged at the freely floating foes, ready to fell them.

• ID# 44346
  • BD: 4
  • MD: 5

Ishida swung wildly and missed.  As he breezed past the butterflies, they turned to face them and in turn, attacked at him as well.  They all connected with his shield, rebounding off of its protection with a loud clang, resulting in a round of combat where neither prey or predator sustained damage.

Spoiler

Ishida
HP: 12/12
EN: 3/3

Butterfly: 2/2

Edited by Ishida
Spoiler

ID# 44348 results:

Battle: 7 Hit!

Loot: 9+6=15 Success!

Davros nodded to him, heading over to yet another group of butterflies. His whip cracked in the air and yet another four butterflies fell to the ground. "Dont worry about it. Its not like you can control the loot drops." He explained, glancing around for more weak mobs to fight. He still wasnt entirely sure why he was out here gathering materials, but he was certain that he would figure it out eventually. He really just wanted some skill points so that he could get his damage up. The mobs werent going to kill themselves after all.

Davros: HP: 36 EN: 5 (-2)

Butterfly: 0/2 (-2)

Total Mats: 12

Ishida turned on heel to face his group of monsters again.  Brandishing his blade in a flurry of foolish looking maneuvers, the teen went up against the quartet of fluttering insects.

• ID# 44354
  • BD: 1
  • MD: 7

Naturally, he missed again.  That seemed to be his luck when it came to combat.  In fact, he missed so badly that his sword stuck in the ground and he tripped over his own feet.  As if it wasn't bad enough he was eating rocks, the butterflies proceeded to beat on him while he was down.

It wouldn't have been so bad if he was higher level but when you're level 3, everything hurts.

"I think I bit off a little more than I should have!"

Spoiler

Ishida
HP: 8/12
EN: 3/3

Edited by Ishida
Spoiler

ID# 44358 results:

Battle: 6 Hit!

Loot: 14+6=20 Success

Davros glanced over at the other player, watching as the butterflies started attacking him. It was kind of sad how much damage they were doing,, as they were some of the weakest mobs in the game. He wasnt  going to help out just yet though. People had to learn to fight their own battles, and he would only interfere if he needed to. He gave the other player a thumbs up with one hand before seeking out some more mobs and knocking them out of the air with his whip. He was having a good run today, already at sixteen materials. For most players that would be a jackpot of sorts, but with his enhancements it really wasnt all that impressive.

Davros: HP: 36 EN: 4(-2)

Total Mats: 16

Ishida picked himself up off of the ground and took a hold of his sword before propelling at his enemies again.  He targeted the one butterfly nearest his position and swung at it with a mighty overhead cleave.

• ID# 44366
  • BD: 1
  • MD: 3

His sword swished as it whistled through the air.  The only thing it succeeded in hitting was the ground before his feet, which spewed clumps of dirt in all directions from the force of its impact.  The insects attacked in response but were too weak to get past the defense of his risen shield.

"I think it'd be a good idea if you finished these off!  It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to any time soon!"

Edited by Ishida