COMPLETE! [PP-F5] We're Gonna Need A Bigger Dune Buggy <<Blood in the Sand>> Opal, Ishida

latest?cb=20140906212512

The fifth floor of Castle Aincrad was not Teselmar's favorite. Not by a long shot. The heat, while not unbearable by any means, was an ever present tickle in the back of his mind, and the dry air disagreed with his skin. At least, that's what his brain told him. There probably wasn't anything wrong with him, but he felt like he was constantly needing to take a sip of water from his supplies every half hour or so just to reassure himself that he wasn't dehydrating. Not that he could, being hooked to an IV somewhere in the real world. Not a pleasant thought, let's steer clear of that one... He had bigger fish to fry anyway.

Trudging along the well-worn path, Teselmar knew that he was headed out a ways into the desert. The settlement he'd just passed through, Fortaleza, was on the outskirts of the vast wasteland of sand and sun that the game cheerily referred to as "El Perdido": The Lost. He wasn't a fan of the name, but it did seem to fit more and more as he trekked onwards, passing cacti and odd metal structures jutting out of the sand at points. It was probably pre-designed, and meant to imply the idea that a big city had once stood here, before the sands of time quite literally crumbled beneath it. He scattered tan and brown particles to and fro as he walked, the sand dissipating in his wake as the dust from his footsteps became too minute for the system to register. 

Sunlight didn't obscure his vision too much, as it was still early in the morning. It didn't stop Teselmar from wishing for a pair of sunglasses with all of his heart. He was on his way to meet Ishida and Opal, his frequent adventuring partners, and fill the bounty that a quest marker had been left for back in the main settlement of Armadillo: A vicious field boss had cost a decent amount of players their lives in this area, as monsters could pop up from beneath the sands at any point and strike without warning. Generally, they could be dealt with, as without the element of surprise, many of this floor's monsters weren't actually so tough. Not so with the field boss. Supposedly a massive shark, Teselmar was puzzled as to why it could be found on a desert level. Defying expectations just for the sake of it, probably. This Sand Shark had been a thorn in the side of players on this floor, and needed to be hunted down in order to make it safe to travel. Reaching the spot on his mini map that was outside the area the Shark had last been spotted in, Teselmar stopped, his hand on his rapier. It appeared that he was the first one there; grabbing his water from his inventory, he took a gulp, then returned it. Damned paranoid, but at least it cleared his head. He withdrew a cigarette from his inventory, staring at it balefully. Another habit he used to relax, but it wasn't all that bad. He held it aloft, daring the hot, hot sun to ignite the stick for him. After a few seconds, he put the unlit stick in his mouth and mockingly called out to the sun. "Oh I see how it is! Big fake ball o' pixels." 

Edited by Teselmar

"Talking to the sun isn't going to keep you sane, and people will question you entirely if you keep that up. But I too have had my fare share of one sided conversations with the inanimate in this game..." The woman had approached the blonde hair player from behind. Her body now scantly clad, wearing only the armor that she needed to get through the battle. The rest however was tucked away somewhere in her inventory. She'd be damned to wear the entire outfit on this sun scorched floor, the many times she had come here were her least favorite, except for the rare times that she came by to visit her friend Jevi. The thought of the woman sent a mild hiccup in her thoughts as a hand weaved through a dampness in her hair as her body perspired from the heat. Trickles of beads swam down the curves of her body mixing in with the cloth of her battle-kini. The woman had removed the cape from her shoulders, the middle chainmail armor from around her belly and the long skirt from around her body, leaving only the scant metal armor around her torso and bosom. 

Her honey eyes struck the player's stick in his mouth, she had remembered what he said on their earlier trip, the woman flustered over his comment but made no remarks to it at the time. Fingers once more swam through the dark tendrils of her hair as she slid the inky black locks from away from her eyes, "I'm guessing you're looking for another light?" The woman swept her hands through the menu materializing the scented orange cigarette that she had used the so many times before. The prelit item rolled between her fingers and in between two full, plump red lips before moving towards Teselmar and holding it at the base so he could get his lit. Inhaling deeply afterwards, the woman titled her head back and blew upwards into the heated atmosphere. The quick scent of citrus being swallowed by the arid heat of the sun and the earthy scent of the sand around them. 

"I am guessing Ishida is coming by as well? Just waiting on him." The woman shifted from one leg to another as she leaned against a dusty building wall, her legs crossed over one another as she held her arms under her chest while she moved the cigarette from her mouth to her hand and waited, "So how is the adventuring life so far? I'd explain the details of the quest, but I'm pretty sure you get the jist of it. Kill this and that; get reward. Pretty straightforward just like The Avalanche..." the woman flicked ashes off using her thumb and went back to holding it, switching legs from the uncomfortable heat as she pressed a hand to her forehead again. 

"It get's easier to deal with when you have the <<Survival>> ability which you can also get on a quest on this floor. It makes taking these extreme temperatures bearable, but also helps you to avoid environmental damage," she said in regards to the hot air that seemed to dry her to the core, despite being sweaty all over. 

Teselmar laughed quietly as he heard Opal's opening comment. "Well, it's not like I can complain to Kayaba himself, so I'll have to settle for yelling at the sun. If you think I'm crazy, I suppose I'll-" He turned around, and immediately his train of thought derailed entirely. The woman had stripped down to the bare essentials of her armor, only keeping what the system's morality filter made mandatory. It was more like swim wear than something you'd go into battle with. A trickle of sweat ran down Teselmar's brow, and he wiped a hand across to get the stinging beads out of his eye. When he'd turned to see her, his jaw had dropped such that the cigarette almost fell out of his mouth. Fortunately he recovered it, biting down enough to keep it from dropping to the sands below. He tried to finish his thought as he looked her over, not even registering the heat from the environment any more compared to the heat radiating off of her. "I... suppose I'll have to live with that."

Averting his gaze slightly so that he could concentrate, the corner of Teselmar's mouth turned upwards. She had to know what she was doing to him, but the heat on this floor almost necessitated it. He had even taken the outer section of his vest off, and rolled up the sleeves on his durable white shirt. Accepting the offer for a light, Teselmar leaned close to her, letting the sparks work their magic. "You look good, by the way. Not that you need me to tell you, you already know it. But you do." He smiled genuinely, letting the heady scent of citrus smoke fill his lungs, then pour into the air and be snatched away by the desert wind. His sea green eyes reflected the scorching rays of the sun at her amber ones, and he looked out into the desert, taking in the view. "Ishida should be on his way. Guess we have a little time to kill."

He took a small, controlled drag on his cigarette before answering her next question. "The adventuring life? I suppose it's a strange thing to say, but in these last couple of weeks and so on, I've felt more at home with this life than with any other I've lead. A guy like me could get used to a life like this." He gestured to the world around them with the tip of his cigarette. "A new world, a new frontier. Gotta think this is how any explorer felt when he looked at the ocean, or the north pole, or space. Just one more place that man's never been, but someone has to take the first step for the rest of us. It's weird, but I enjoy being a part of history, being among the first to explore a new world. Maybe you know what I'm talking about, yeah? Or maybe I really am crazy." He stretched, flicking more rivulets from his hair as his flushed face was covered by it. "I might have to pick up that <<Survival>> skill, if I'm gonna spend any more time here. It's a dry heat." He quipped, grinning slightly. Growing a bit more serious but still keeping a light expression, he looked over to her. "I wanted to thank you again. If it hadn't been for you, I'm sure that I wouldn't be hunting land sharks right now. So," and he turned to face her entirely. "I'd like to take you out on a date some time, if that's something you're interested in." No nonsense, no beating around the bush, just a straightforward, honest question. He raised his cigarette again, keeping his nerves in check with a drag on it. "No pressure, of course, I can take no for an answer. I'd just like to get to know you better outside of our usual work." Slightly embarrassed by how bold he'd been, he cleared his throat and took another long puff. 

"Knowing him, I am sure he is listening in to all of our conversations and laughing...but to an extent, I also admire him...I mean...doing this to all these players was a dick move on his behalf, but you have to admire the way he worked everything. And also, I have come to enjoy life here as well. I have met so many wonderful people, and friends...and experiences I never thought about. It makes you think about the real life we once had and how trivial it has become over these last several months. If I should ever see him, I'll thank him for this...then run my blade through his gut." the woman joked, if she had to be honest though with herself...this life? Was it really so bad...could she do it until her body gave way on the other side...? Would she protect Kayaba? A soft screen of orange haze wafted over her as she blew outwards. 

Then there was the compliment, the woman didn't know how to react to that. She felt like a damn fool right now with how she was dressed, barely covering herself the scantily armor. Did she subconsciously do this to get his attention maybe? She had not done that to anyone in this game, well, except for the times when she wanted something in return, "Ugh...thank you..." Cat calls were no longer something she heard when she was dressed in her Blood Oath armor, men knew that she was the Vice Commander of such a prestigious guild and they kept their mouths shut and eyes adverted from her as she walked by. It didn't help the matter any that she walked with a domineering stride, and an off putting social aura or so. So when she heard Teselmar compliment her, she wasn't sure what to say to that. Failing for that brief moment, the woman dipped her head lowly and shook the darkened bangs from her face, trying to ease that tension from the forethought of her mind.

The tension finally eased when he answered her earlier question, it almost felt like he was reading her mind on the subject of being comfortable in this world. She gave a nod in agreeance with him, but she didn't express her thoughts on that matter entirely. He thanked her for helping him, there was no need for that. She was much like he was back when she was starting out. Unfortunately, she had to do several of these quests solo during her hiatus on floor seven. And then he asked her out...Wait. What? 

!!!

Opal nearly fell off the little wall she was leaning on and her cigarette fumbled between her fingers. Bright orange eyes gazed at him for a moment before her body swelled from the heat from the sun and now her thoughts. Her bright red lips and the look on her face, both shock and nervous fright. She almost cursed from the nervous energy pouring out of her. She took a dry mouthed gulp and moved towards him. Her eyes staring intently into him, "Are...are you serious? I mean...I...well, you don't seem like the type of guy to joke like that, so of course you are serious...But..err...Me? You could probably have your pick of the ladies with the way you carry yourself. And you are not threatened that I am higher level than you or...anything?" the woman was confused, a swelling of thoughts as she tried to attempt to unravel any sort of ulterior motive he might have on the situation. There was Grave, a sweet caring guy that she adored. Lawfer had left her high and dry when they were together, disappearing into obscurity somewhere. And now...Teselmar? She thought about it. It was a date? A harmless one right? No trouble could come from it...Then her thoughts traveled to Jomei, the man she had secretly been yearning for, but he was taken by another. Perhaps it was just time for her to move on now...

"Umm...Yeah...I- I think, that'll be alright. I mean...It's been awhile since anyone has asked me out on a date...date. Usually people are too scared off by me or something, and the ones I attempt to pursue...they end up falling out and disappearing. Also there...is something...I haven't told you about me yet either which is why I keep myself highly guarded towards men in particular..." The woman didn't want to tell him her dark secret, but perhaps she didn't have to? That week in that darkened cell...those hungry men...day in and day out...He didn't need to know that about her...but what if they got serious? Like...really serious. Could the broken girl ever be fixed? 

Edited by Opal

"Whoa, hey.  We're going on a date?  It's about time you asked, Tes!"  Ishida said briskly as he seemingly appeared out of nowhere, breaking up the tension Opal's last remark left hanging thickly in the air.  How hadn't they noticed him before?  He was no more than a yard away from the two of them upon the top of that scorching sand dune, posed with his fists pressed against his hips and his elbows fanned out like a bird's wings--in nothing more than than his underwear and a pair of boots.  Do you know how hot it was trekking across a desert in a full set of plate armor?  It was down right unbearable!

"I mean, I'm flattered but I-I just don't know.  I like you and all but.."  The teenager was feigning embarrassment, looking down at his booted toes twisting and turning playfully in the sand.  It was made quite clear that it was all a ruse when he threw back his head and cackled without remorse.  His lithe, healthily muscled body, not one you would expect to find on one with the desire to Tank, shook with the quaking of his full-bodied laughing.

His personal enjoyment was short lived, however.  Almost immediately his laughter ceased and he looked in between the two of them with a deadpan expression; a lone bead of perspiration balling up and rolling down the side of his youthful face.  "It's so hot out here.  I don't like it.  I want to go back to Snowfrost."

It was about that time that he looked at Opal and truly noticed her armor--or lack there of.  He looked back to Teselmar who was still bearing the burden of his regular armaments.  Ishida could only shake his head in disapproval.  "See, Opal's got the right idea.  If you can't beat the heat.."

Edited by Ishida

Teselmar nodded as he heard her say that she was getting used to this life. For some, the pressure of life and death made it impossible to live. But Teselmar had never felt this alive out in the real world, except when his life was in danger. Now, every day was a battle, and he was finding new things to fight for. And new people too. He watched her react to him asking her out on a date; it was like watching someone who had been drinking something suddenly have it go down the wrong pipe. She sputtered a bit, then made her remarks about him being serious. He stepped forward a bit, so they were only a few feet apart. "I'm serious. I may have the tendency to be flippant, but I'm serious about this."

He ran a hand through his saffron hair, smiling softly at her comment about being able to find any other girl. "That's kind of you to say, but I'm not really much of a ladies' man. Never really had the personality for flirting well, you know?" He chuckled, "If I seem confident, it's only because I realize I've got nothing to lose. This world has a great way of making a man get his priorities in line, eh?" At her comment about level, he put a finger to his temple, tapping it. "I've thought about that. But really, and I mean this as nicely as possible, you don't scare me. You inspire me to be better, to grow. I admire how strong you are, but it's not intimidating." She spoke nervously about how she had things in her past that he didn't know about. He looked deep into her eyes, seeing the shadows of pain there. He was taller than her, and his shadow fell over her, shading her as he spoke. "Well, unless I end up kicking the bucket out here in this world, I'm not going anywhere. I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted to get to know you better. Darkness, light, and everything in between." Having been a cop and seen that look before, Teselmar was fairly certain he had an idea of why she was closed off towards men. So he spoke low and surely, gently to her. "Opal, you don't have to tell me anything that you don't want to. Everyone has things they'd rather not have come to light. But," and here he smiled a small smile, "You don't have to shoulder it alone." The tension was thick in the air between the two... and then Ishida spoke, almost making Teselmar jump clear out of his shirt.

He blinked once, in his version of a confused deadpan as Ishida made his presence known. Seriously, how had he not seen the barely clothed young man there? Had he really been so wrapped up in his own thoughts and nervousness? He did the only thing he could do: He laughed, loud and pealing, and turned to clasp Ishida on the shoulder. "Ahahaha! Oh buddy, I am gonna take you out on the best date ever! Limousine, broadway show, five star restaurant, and champagne back at my place, where we can..." He crept closer to the young man, speaking in a stage whisper so that Opal could hear as well. "Play video games and watch Netflix." He laughed again, loving the joke and appreciating the raven haired youth's sense of humor. At his comment, Teselmar shrugged and hit the menu button. "I guess I'm caving to peer pressure..." he said with faux sorrow, starting to remove his clothing.

pixivid1865153_.jpg

"ISHIDA!" the woman practically yelled at him, the startling voice, the out of no where question of a date from Teselmar; Opal was clearly not having the most clairvoyant of days. Balling her hand into a fist, the woman's rage was tempered by clear thoughts, as she spoke in mantra of calming herself down. She had half the mind to stun them both out in this heat and leave them to the vultures. Relaxing herself and letting her fist dampen into a flat hand, the woman smoothed over the tendrils of dark hair, she didn't find the situation to be humorous at all. Instead she had shifted her body so her back was now facing them and she started to walk, "We should get moving. This desert is not kind to strangers who don't know it's lands." Taking a heavy sigh, the woman switched her cigarette hand and found her menu, sweeping lithe fingers over the panel before producing a bottle of water. She drank heavily of the contents before dumping the rest over her head and swinging the inky black tendrils side to side. Tossing the empty bottle aside from her, it had burst into pixels being thrown to the winds of oblivion as she brushed both hands through her hair and swept the long bangs back out of her eyes and face. 

Removing the orange stick from her mouth and turning to face the two, she gestured for them to follow. It was going to be a long and hot day for the three of them, hopefully they can get through this quest before this heat turns into a cold valley of death. There was that special memory while she was on a quest with Lawfer here, he had did everything he could at the expense of his own well being to keep her warm. She was such a child back then, always needing the help from others. And now, she had the power to do what she wanted by herself, alone...Perhaps it was just easier to deal with the pain that way. But Teselmar...as they walked towards the boundaries of the desert, the woman took a glimpse behind her at the stalwart male and then quickly back in front of her, did she have the courage to let her walls down for him? It was a scary thought, those walls of steel and iron clad in chains and then frozen in ice to protect the one thing she valued most of herself; the heart that beat within. She began to get a slight headache from the obsessive thoughts she was having over him. Truthfully spoken, there were night when she craved the touch of another, and then the nightmares would come while she slept, frightful faces and those cravings turned into horrible experiences. 

Sighing heavily, the woman was sweating more than she should have been. Dark eyes squinted through the sandy horizon, for miles upon miles all she could see was sand and more sand. This place...she hated this desert land, this heat...it was getting to her in not so great ways. 

While Ishida and Teselmar were having a good laugh over the situation, Opal wasn't.  He didn't really think he was being all that sneaky when he was approaching the two of them.  I mean, he was pretty much groaning and moaning the entire time from the tremendous heat pouring over him while fighting the overwhelming urge to just turn around and head back to town.  The teenager actually flinched and covered up his face with one arm while the rest of his body tried to protectively coil in around itself in fear the dark haired woman would go off and belt him with that balled up hand.  That would have certainly left a mark if it didn't outright end his life immediately.

However, no pain came his way.  Instead, Opal said a few words and started into the depths of the desolate desert while her two comrades stood dumbstruck in place.  A grin creased onto Ishida's dry lips but it wasn't one of mischief or delight; it read more like "oh god I thought I was a goner there and all I can do now is grin like an idiot."  The laugh that came after was entirely unsure of itself, which was a sentiment that was amplified by the manner in which the boy was scratching his head.  It was almost like he was confused.  The truth was--he was beyond confused.

"Uhhhh, sorry Tes.  I think I messed up there," Ishida said quietly; his shoulders slumped a little more than usual.

Ishida was young but he wasn't stupid.  He had seen the exchanges shared between his two companions.  They had made it painfully clear they were into each other and he might have just hurt their chances with his attempt at humor.  It was difficult for the raven-haired youth to comprehend exactly what they were experiencing; he didn't quite think that he could feel that way toward a person in this virtual death game.  Hell, he didn't even think he would be able to make friends when he first started adventuring but Teselmar and Opal had gradually melted the icy barrier that was holding him back.

Maybe one day he would be able to take interest in someone the way his two friends had taken in each other.  Until then, Teselmar and Opal were stuck with their plucky third wheel.  Around them, he was able to let his guard down a little bit.  He was allowed to still be a kid.

"Opal, wait up!  I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to scare you!  Just don't leave me, pleeease!" he shouted as he chased after the woman.

Teselmar's shirt was off now, and he frowned as Opal pushed forward, her anger kindled. He followed behind her for the moment, alongside Ishida, who had a similar expression guilt... and perhaps relief, as Opal thought better of pounding him upside the head. To tell the truth, Teselmar had been a little annoyed at the boy's antics, but the lines on his brow softened as Ishida quietly apologized to him. He blew a puff of smoke into the wicked hot air, and shrugged. "Hey, I thought it was a little funny. But Opal..." He spoke softly, trying to impress the importance of this part on Ishida. "I think she was caught off guard, bud. You might wanna apologize, clear the air a bit." Ishida did just that, running ahead to tell Opal he was sorry. Teselmar took another drag, thinking deeply. It was true, Ishida's impudence might nettle them both a bit, and it certainly wasn't helping Opal open up, but he told himself, This is what having a kid brother must feel like... Having grown up in a household that cared more about status and prestige than about familial ties, Teselmar had been a lonely child. He had no siblings, and any relationships he'd had didn't work out. Inevitably, whoever he cared about was driven off by his lifestyle of thrill-seeking and dangerous work. He didn't hold it against them; not many would choose a path like his, or think well of those who walked it.

But Opal? She was a Vice Commander of a small army, and had faced down whatever tragedy had made her closed off. He had no doubt she'd heal, in time. Hearts like that burn too bright to stay frozen. Ishida as well, had grown since Teselmar had met him a while ago, and he knew that the boy would be settle into being a warrior just fine. Smiling at the irony of meeting people like these in a game like this, he jogged a bit to catch up with Opal and Ishida. Small beads of perspiration made their way down his chest and forehead, and he wiped his brow before speaking to her. "I'm sorry, Opal. I share the blame, the joke was in poor taste." He hoped to look her in the eye as they walked. "I hope you'll forgive me." Teselmar normally wasn't one for straightforwardness, but he could at least apologize properly and sincerely. 

One after another they had apologized which made Opal feel bad for them both, "No, no. You guys don't have to apologize for anything. Its me and how I am currently wired at the moment..." The woman spoke up, moving her hand up to beat away the beads of sweat dripping into her eyes. The sun here was relentless even with the <<Survival> skill, it was still torturous on her. Perhaps it was also because of that memory that left a bitter sweet hurt inside her soul. Lawfer, she seriously thought he was gonna be the one to lift her up high...but he ended up leaving her long ago. She sighed, "I've been fighting with a lot of internal emotions recently. Sometimes I am too serious, and I have been trying to find a balance between Opal; the Vice Commander and Opal...the woman. It has been a struggle, and I rarely have time to 'relax' or 'play around,' so jokes and things of that nature don't entirely mix with me. I would blame it all to female hormones, but I can't place blame on body chemistry right now. You two have been fun to be around with, even if its just to help levels you guys up a bit, but its also helping me to get back into the social scene a bit..." the woman put herself out there, showing a bit of her heart on her sleeves so to speak. 

It was difficult to talk about these things to people she didn't even know, but she felt she owed them an apology for overreacting, "But I am sorry as well for yelling at you both earlier. And..." her head swung back to Teselmar, then her eyes sat down cast to the sand as she walked, "Hopefully you don't think little of me after that outburst, enough to not want that...date..." 

She swallowed hard, already having done away with her cigarette, she would need more of that pseudo nicotine to calm her nerves down yet again. But she would go without it and just soldier on as much as she needed, "You both have been really great people, I just...kinda suck when it comes to socializing. Which is really weird...I was a sorority girl at my college, and a huge social butterfly before all this happened...But I take what I can from it. So let's agree it was all just a big misunderstanding and let's work on towards taking down the Sand Shark."  

Ishida walked in silence while Opal explained her reaction to their juvenile behavior.  There was a moment after Teselmar and Opal talked things through that the dark-haired woman delved into a little more of herself as a person outside of Aincrad.  The two of them had done this before on another of their previous quests while Ishida chose to keep his peace.  It wasn't his first choice to open up but given his growing respect for his two companions, he thought he might like to share a bit with them.

"Hey, I--uh, I want to talk with you guys for a second," he said quietly, waiting until there was a time he could talk without interrupting them.

"My life outside of this world is--it's rough.  My childhood revolved almost entirely around self-preservation because my parents are... well, pretty terrible people.  When I found out I was stuck in this death game, I pretty much instantly resigned to the fact that I would once again have to fight to survive all by myself.  The thing is... the armor I wear in game is nothing compared to the armor that you can't see; the one that truly protects me.  Around you guys, I don't feel like I have to be so guarded.  I feel... comfortable being me.  That's a feeling that I want to protect because whether we like it or not, we might be stuck in this hell for a long time and feeling comfortable makes it that much more bearable."

Ishida had this way of fidgeting with his hands as his nervous words spilled out.  The entire time, his rust brown eyes stared at his feet kicking through the sand as they walked toward their destination.

"Now, I know emotions aren't something I can protect.  I can't throw them in a little box and lock them up so they can't get away but you two--you guys are a different story.  I can work hard to get stronger so I can protect you guys.  Let me be the one who protects you so you don't have to work so hard at protecting yourselves, whether you are in or out of combat."

At the tail end, he looked up and glanced between the two of them.  The look he wore on his face was one of complete seriousness.

"I mean, after all, I was the only one smart enough to bring a shield."

As they walked, Opal opened up a little about herself. Teselmar nodded in understanding. This game hadn't affected him mentally as much as many, since he was great at putting the uncomfortable thoughts of death and imprisonment aside and distracting himself. Opal, on the other hand, had been impacted deeply by this world. Though nothing was happening to her body out in the world, in here she was still vulnerable to pain and suffering. The sweltering sun reassured him of that. She spoke an apology for her anger, and her gaze was downcast as she asked him if he was reconsidering their date. He walked out in front of her, and turned around so that he was facing backwards towards the others as they walked. "It's okay, Opal. You don't have anything to apologize for. And yes," he said with a smile that reflected the dazzling sun, "I'd love to take you out on a date, if you'd still like that." While she claimed that she was no good at socializing, Teselmar knew that there was a big difference between finding pleasure on a crowded dance floor, and being able to maintain deep, permanent relationships. It was something he'd always craved, but his dangerous ways had always put distance between himself and others. While he was glad that he was finally able to connect with people, the happiness was tempered by the knowledge that they were all in danger here in Aincrad.

Ishida began speaking quietly as he and Opal's exchange trailed off, and Teselmar listened to the boy pour himself out. He hadn't expected such depths from the normally taciturn youth, and though he wasn't typically one to avoid being sarcastic, this time he knew better than to treat the young man's confession with anything less than the gravity it deserved. Looking to Ishida as he continued to walk backwards, the corner of his mouth lifted, and he gave him a thumbs up. "Ishida... I appreciate you saying that. Okay," he stated, shading his eyes with his hand from the light pouring down across them all, "I'll trust you to have my back, okay bro?" 

He unfortunately didn't have time to hear a reply immediately, as in the process of walking backwards, he stumbled slightly at the lip of a large sand dune. Turning, Teselmar saw that it overlooked a seemingly innocent stretch of the desert... but his mini map indicated that this was where the Sandshark made its hunting grounds. "Guess this is the place..." He said, swiping his menu. The shirt and hardened vest appeared on his torso, shimmering as they -bzzzzd- into existence. The rapier came out as well, adorning his hip as he adjusted his black gloves. It was hot, but he didn't want to be without protection when facing the beast. Teselmar drew his rapier, feeling the heft of the well-balanced blade in his hand. The sensation of being armed like this was growing familiar to him; an encouraging thought. Turning to Opal and Ishida, he leaned on the blade, letting it sink a ways into the sand. "So, are we going in like last time? You stun it and draw Hatred, and we'll flank?" He asked Opal, the thought of battle lighting a fire in his eyes.

The woman turned to Ishida when he wanted to speak to them. She had no idea the teenager was so distraught, she had nearly forgotten about people's lives in the real world before this game. Much like herself, everyone had a struggle in their life, it was selfish of her to believe that she was the only one going at it alone, or that she was the only one going through troubled times. In fact, everyone in Aincrad had troubled times ahead of them, they were fighting every day tooth and nail not to be lost people in this Death Game. However, it was his words that struck a smile to the woman's parched red lips. Her honey eyes looked to Ishida, she had no idea how passionate this player could actually be...it was a honorable trait to show. That need to protect, the desire to see things to the end so that everyone would come out safely in the end. 

Opal swept the long blades of black from her eyes that had fallen back in place from there dry march into the desert, "Excuse the sweat, Hun." Opal said, as her arm came around the neck of Ishida and nearly choking him with a small hug, "I have a brother named Ren, I would love to see his punk ass once again when this game is beat. You remind me of him, Ishida. And for that, I will help defend the lives of everyone here and beyond." 

The tension between the three party members had now been snapped, Opal had not realized that this odd formation between them was starting to look more and more like a bonding of friendship. Something she had yet to familiarize herself in this game. Sure, she had friends but their numbers were small and in between. But these two...they were very much budding friends to her and it was something she wanted to protect to her very core. Turning her attention back to Teselmar, the woman had removed her hand from Ishida's neck while giving him a smile back. But Teselmar was another story, he didn't seem to be turned off by her unsightly rage outburst which was nice, she had wanted to see where the two of them could go in their friendship or to even let it evolve into something else. 

Batting the sweat from her eye lashes, the leggy female gave a startled expression toward Teselmar, "Hey! Watch out---" too late, the man had already tripped up into the mouth of a massive dune that rolled ages and ages on. The faint smell of blood hung in the air as the ground vibrated and came to life. The Sand Shark emerged with its fin sticking out of the coarse red and orange particles from the ground. Somehow or another, Opal was able to advert its attention to her as her blade swept over the sand getting it's attention off of Teselmar. 

With a roar, the massive Sand Shark jutted out of the ground, an eruption of sand and heat ravaging them as it's body floated upwards into the air and came crashing down, one flipper striking Opal down before it descended back to the earth. The woman had been tossed off her feet several feet behind her, landing with several flips but taking a small amount of damage. Her blade, the Masamune was now emitting off a radiant wave of ivory and silver. The woman burst ahead with great intensity and force with her <<Charge>>, "I will protect them..." The blade sang her hymn of protection as the blade slashed through the belly of the beast at it made its fall. Engaging closer to the Sand Shark, the woman thrust a hard right punch into its face stunning the Land Shark and taking away its mobility. One the Sand Shark had pretty much rolled over from her punch, she allowed another sweep of her blade to cut into the Shark's hide, a bright orange scar decorating its body.

"All yours!" 

<<Battle Engaged>>

Opal's HP: 118/124
EN: 22/31
Sword Art: Ra Setsu, 9 Energy [Stun], 66 Dmg
Hate: 2

Sand Shark: 59/125 [Stunned]
Dmg: 30

ID: 45101
BD: 9+3= [+1 Dmg]
MD: 9 [+1 Dmg]

Edited by Opal

Their group--it felt right to him.  This is what friendship was.  Right there, they devoted themselves to each other to form a pact that would see them through to the end of this terrifying world.  Ishida felt true elation among his companions but that feeling dwindled by the sweat hug Opal had wrapped him in.  Ewww.  Regardless, he shared the sentiment and reciprocated the light embrace.  He nodded complete acknowledgement to Teselmar, affirming that he would have his back no matter what hairy situation they ended up getting themselves in.

And that's right about when Teselmar took a tumble as some submerged beast made its rounds.  The coppery smell of blood in the air was enough to churn the teenager's stomach; he was never good at handling the sight of it, let alone the smell of it.  Blood, though?  Was blood represented in this game?  Could Ishida bleed?

He didn't want to find out.

Everything was a blur.  He didn't even realize it but they had arrived at where they were to challenge the monstrous Sand Shark--or rather, it was challenging them to survive.  Although, he didn't know why he had a knot in his stomach--as soon as the ferocious menace reared its ugly head, Opal was waling on it with a powerful sword art.  His eyes were wide as he watched the health gauge of the field boss rapidly deplete before it succumbed to a stunned condition.

"Ah hell," he said as he swiped through his menu rapidly.  His armor and armaments formed around him out of the air, encasing him in a shell of ebony steel.  "Let's finish this up quick before I sweat to death in here!"

Ishida took off after Opal, although he wasn't quite as fast.  The weight of his armor made deep footprints in the every shifting sand with each heavy step he took.  He raced as quick as he could to catch up to the Sand Shark, his sword alight with a blue aura the entire time he made his way down the sand dune, only stopping when he was close enough to unleash the power of his Sword Art.

His body went through the movements, slashing and hacking in quick succession, laying into the dormant Sand Shark with his Blackfang.

• ID# 45251
  • BD: 8

Sword Art: Snake Bite (-2 EN)
DMG: (2+2)*2 = 8

Spoiler

Ishida's HP: 36/36
Energy: 7/9

Sand Shark: 51/125 [Stunned]
DMG: 30

Edited by Ishida

Recovering his footing, Teselmar let the light of battle enter his wild grin once again. Seeing Opal and Ishida attacking the creature galvanized him into action, and he dashed into the sea of sand that the shark was thrashing around in. Going into battle with good comrades was a joy that modern men and women so rarely felt in this day and age. In this moment, in a way, he was one of the luckiest men alive. His thin blade blazing violet with energy, he leapt straight into the air, attempting to come crashing down on his foe. 

ID# 45315 results: Battle: 6+2=8 (hit!)

The field boss had been stunned, and was susceptible to Ishida and Teselmar's sword arts. The armored youth made a comment about sweating in his armor, and Teselmar had to laugh on the way down. "Beat the heat with the heat!" he cried, stabbing down into the flesh of the monster three times in a blazing Accel Stab. It flailed as it came out of <<Stun>>, and Teselmar pulled his blade out of its back. Leaping free, he rolled across the sand and came back up, knowing that it would probably come after Opal for doing so much damage to it. One of these days, I'll be able to protect you too...

Teselmar: 40/40 | Dmg: 3  ~   Sand Shark: 42/125 [Stunned]  | DMG: 30

Edited by Teselmar

Both the Tank and the DPS fulfilled their job at taking a whack at the downed Sand Shark. The pride it had was now belittled by the efforts of the team as they struck deadly blows to it one after another. As their efforts diminished, the Sand Shark came back to life only to be met with the ludicrously long Odachi; the Masamune. The long blade was drawn back from behind her as it emitted off the ivory and silver pulsating light it used to commit to the sword arts. Both hands on the hilt of the dark blade, the woman swept the blade across the belly of the overturned Sand Shark spilling its guts onto the sand. The woman flicked her blade to the right with one hand sending the tainted mess off her pristine blade. As she turned around and sheathed the saya, the sound of her tsuba hitting the sheath sounded off and the Field Boss was no more, dropping the sand potion and a simple material. 

The woman turned to both Ishida and Teselmar, "Nice work you two. We were able to finish that thing in just under ten minutes. Though, I could have killed it myself, but the experience to be under pressure and fight a field boss is something you two should get used to. Maybe one day you will find yourself in my shoes and helpign some new low level newbies." The woman pressed her hand to her forehead and smoothed the locks of black hair from her face as they stuck to her forehead. 

All that was left was to return to Armadillo and out of this desert. After being in the coarse sand and heat, the woman always felt like taking a long cold bath or something to clean her body of all this...dirt. That's what it was...dirt. Sand...was very unbecoming of a woman.

"Let's get the [censored] out of here." 

<<Battle Engaged>>

Opal's HP: 118/124
EN: 16/31
Sword Art: Zekkai, 7 Energy, 63 Dmg
Hate: 2

Sand Shark: 0/125 
Dmg: 30

ID: 45316
BD:1 +6= Hit
MD: Dead
LD: 17 [+625 Col Opal]
+1 Mat to whoever claims it.
+1 Sand Armor Potion to Quest Taker

Edited by Opal

Ishida was staring right at the Sand Shark as it got thrashed on by Teselmar and then obliterated by Opal.  The entire space of air before him was nothing more than a swirl of windblown sand and dissipating particles belonging to the field boss.  That went much faster than he expected.  Ten minutes?  He felt like he could have counted the seconds on one hand.

"Well..." he started, not bothering to wipe away the sweat pouring down the sides of his face--steel gauntlets didn't do so well for that.  Before he could finish his sentiment, however, Opal pitched in the idea to "get the [censored] out of there."  He couldn't agree more.  The teen only grunted in approval as he sluggishly turned in the sand and started the trek back up the dune he had so hurriedly ran down before.

Opal's eloquent statement made him grin, and he still practically glowed with the energy that came with fighting something that could easily kill him. Soon, he'd be powerful enough that he could destroy something that tough in just a few hits as well. Ishida and he had barely needed to be here for the actual combat, but it had been great for experience purposes. Simply having his blade come into contact with the Sand Shark had made his EXP climb dramatically, and he smiled. One step closer to being strong enough; one step closer to helping those who weren't strong enough to walk this path. Teselmar turned and walked away from the scene of the field boss' demise, catching up quickly with the other two. "That fight didn't last particularly long, eh?" he commented at the two of them. He had a laugh on his lips and a free-spirited gleam in his eye as he addressed his comrades. He didn't say it aloud, but he mentally compared the fight to making love: When a fight is good, it's great. And when it isn't great, it's still pretty good.

He shook sand out of his hair as the trio made their way back towards Armadillo. "I'm gonna need a shower to get all this crap out of my hair," he groused. "I hate sand... It's coarse, and rough, and it gets everywhere." He said slyly, wondering if either of them would get the reference.

"Ok, Anakin." Opal said looking towards him with a shake of her head. But he was true enough, sand was not one of women's beneficial properties to have over their body, nor was baking under a desert sun. While she enjoyed the tan look, being burnt or turning into a prune was another matter to begin with. Her once posh personality would have never settled or even stood on this floor at all if she could avoid it. 

"To be brutally honest though, this heat is nothing compared to the volcano floor. If you two ever decide to want to tackle the Cerberus, bring plenty of water. And let me know ahead of time as well, I can make a special potion that will help take the heat off of yeah. I didn't do it here, because I figured you two could handle it. Then again..." the woman smeared sweat and sand from off her chest with her hand, "I barely can handle it myself..." Sweeping tendrils of black hair from her face once again, the safe city of Armadillo was just over the horizon. She was glad that each of them got the Skill Points necessary to get a nice little boost to their levels. The single point alone did wonders for her as well. There was only a few other quests that she could do now that would give her a boost into Skill Points and experience, but she would need be weary of those upper floor quests. 

Orange eyes settled on the sandy dunes ahead of them as they slowly made their way to Armadillo. The woman lazily flicked sweat off the side of her right hip into the sand before it was blown away by the winds. The woman gave a rather disgusted look from the amount of perspiration her body was giving off, probably not the cutest she has ever been baking half alive in the desert. Yet soon enough they would be safe in Armadillo and if she could, skinny dip in the closest pond on floor four. 

Ishida didn't get the reference until Opal said something about it.

Anakin?  Are they talking about that old movie... what was it called?  Space Wars?  No~no, Star Wars!  Yeah, that's it!

Each one of his steps crackled as the grains of sand caught in between the links of his armor were crushed.  The teen sheathed his Blackfang at his hip and then started to toil through his menus, rapidly unequipping the burden of his sword and shield but letting his armor remain.  He was glad that they were able to spend time like this together, the three of them conquering the world of Aincrad slowly but surely.

"Are you guys quoting a twenty year old movie?  Just how old are you guys?  Geez."  He was pretty sure that movie came out before his was born.

Armadillo was drawing close; close enough for him to almost feel the comfort of the cool tavern and its many, many refreshing beverages.