[PP-F1] Brutality (Lycan)

Kyr stared down the edge of his bastard sword toward the boar only a few feet beyond. It was the first time he'd ever contemplated taking one on alone. The real chill crept up his spine as the thought struck him- if that thing hits me enough times, I could die.

He stood there for several long moments, uncertain of himself. Both knees bent and his body low, the swordsman let his blade hang overhead. "No time like the present," he steeled himself. "If I don't do it now, I might not get another chance."

In a rush of supreme effort and adrenaline, Kyr lashed out with an upward slash toward the boar's gullet. 

It let out a roar of agony as a line of crimson appeared along it's side, and the beast faltered beneath the surprise of being attacked.

Spoiler

ID: 49543, BD: 8, MD: 3

Boar takes 1 Damage! (2-1)

Kyr: 8/8 HP | 1/2 E | 0 MIT

Boar: 3/4 HP | 3 DMG | 1 MIT

Edited by Kyr

He let out a grunt as the boar delivered its timely reprisal. With a deft step, he managed to evade the blow, and the dark haired youth began to twist his body in order to bring his blade around for a powerful strike. "If at first you don't succeed," he called out with a grin.

"Keep hacking til it dies!"

With a concerted effort, Kyr ripped his blade clean through the air- and he missed as the blade flew narrowly over the pig's head. The creature showed only a modicum of alarm, instead much more interested in exacting vengeance.

Spoiler

ID: 49545, BD: 2, MD: 1

Kyr: 8/8 | 0/2 E

Boar: 3/4

Edited by Kyr

Spoiler

Rollbot Engaged!

ID# 49546: -- BD: 2 -- CD: 6 -- LD: 18 -- MD: 9 --

Regen Phase:
Lycan: HP: +0 -- EN: +1
Kyr: HP: +0 -- EN: +1

---

Combat Phase:
Lycan: 16/16 HP -- EN: 3/4 -- HATE: 0 --
Basic Attack: ((2)) MISS!!!

---

Results:
Boar: 3/4 HP (Attacking Kyr)
Lycan: 16/16 HP -- EN: 3/4 -- HATE: 0 --
Kyr: 8/8 HP -- EN: 1/2 -- HATE: 1 --

---
Gathering Loot:
+1 Material

The teen, on his typical hunting venture, held his blade's pommel close to his face, tip pointed toward a staggered boar. The beast pulsed with an unusual light, warped, then burst into a shower of shards. Lycan took a deep breath, then lowered Harbringer to his side and exhaled. One more boar down. The teen walked up to where the boar fell and looked for a drop. Unfortunately, nothing.

However, his eyes did happen to catch a glimpse of a small weed instead. Upon further inspection, he found it to be one of the herbs commonly used in mitigation potions. Quickly, Lycan plucked it and set it to his inventory.

It was that moment, his ears caught wind of another player, this one also engaged in combat. Lycan narrowed his eyes to Cardinal would activate the built in analytic interface. The boy saw the low class boar at 75% health, and the player at 100%. At first, Lycan shrugged and began seeking his next target.

Then, it dawned on him.

The player was kitted in starter gear, that meant he was on equal playing fields with the boar.

Lycan shot his glance back, quickly analyzing his level.

Level 2

"Damn," Lycan spat. Without another moment's hesitation, he began his sprint toward the stranger, his Harbinger ready. 

Edited by Lycan

Without warning, a new player descended on the boar from one side. Not one to ask questions in the thick of a life or death situation, Kyr silently thanked the powers that be for his good fortune and took the small window of opportunity to his advantage. Though the other player missed and did nothing to the creature, it seemed to take a short notice of him- just enough that Kyr was able to move in the instant that it did so. 

His mighty blade struck again, and it carved out another red line in the flank of the beast. Annoyed and angry now, it let out a powerful yelp and then snorted billows of fiery steam. The young player knew that the next few moments would be the difference between whether he lived or died, and he was infinitely glad he wouldn't be alone in them.

"I really should get some armor if I'm going to keep doing this," he commented almost casually.

ID: 49548, BD: 6, MD: 3

Boar takes 1 Damage.

Kyr: 8/8 HP | 0/2 E | 1 Hate

Lycan: 16/16 HP | 3/4 E | 0 Hate

Boar: 2/4 HP

Spoiler

Rollbot Engaged!
ID# 49551: -- BD: 6 -- CD: 10 -- LD: 8 -- MD: 6 --

Regen Phase:
Lycan: HP: +0 -- EN: +1
Kyr: HP: +0 -- EN: +1

---

Combat Phase:
Lycan: 16/16 HP -- EN: 3/4 -- HATE: 1 --
Basic Attack: ((6)) HIT! -- ((4-1MIT)) 3 DAMAGE!

---

Results:
Boar: 0/4 HP (DEAD)
Lycan: 16/16 HP -- EN: 3/4 -- HATE: 1 --
Kyr: 8/8 HP -- EN: 0/2 -- HATE: 2 --

---
Loot:
NONE

Lycan arrived on the scene just as the other player landed a solid blow. Perfect timing for him to finish it off. Harbringer fell to Lycan's side as he closed the gap. Steel sang skyward, finding resistance along the way from the boar. It bit deep and it cut smooth through the gut of the beast. Lycan's sword arm halted at the apex of the blow, flecks of red data drifting from its tip. The boar froze, pulsed with a wave of light, then burst into a shower of glistening fragments.

The young swordsman snapped the blade to his side, an old habit from his kendo classes back in another world and another time. With the flick of his wrist, he had Harbringer's tip nested in the opening of its scabbard. A fluid motion of his arm, and the blade clicked into place on his back.

"You there," Lycan pointed at the player who managed equal damage on their prey. "What are you doing out here in that gear, and alone at that?"

He approached the two handed user and made assessment of posture, and skill. Much like Lessa had once done with him. This player, however, showed promise.

"That boar would have killed you in two hits," Lycan continued, his arms crossed and tone firm.

Edited by Lycan

"Well, it didn't," Kyr replied flatly he folded his arms and gauged the man who chastised him sternly. "Not that it couldn't have, and I probably won't be doing that again for a while, but I think I did pretty good."

He slung the large blade over his shoulder in one sweep, then used the weapon as a resting place for his other arm. "That's not to say I'm not grateful. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't come along."

Of course, up to that point, Kyr had been blatantly ignoring the question that the newcomer initially asked. With some measure of embarassment, he cast his eyes downward. "Well, see... I only just decided to try out combat. I mean, I know we've been in this game all this time- I just never felt confident enough to try it on my own. I thought it would be a good experience."

He bit his lip. "I need more experience and better equipment. I want to help out with the front line initiative. I know I'm a little far behind for that, but..."

The teen raised a judgmental brow at his opening statement. "Arrogant," Lycan mentally noted. Typically, arrogance was a death sentence. So was naivety, which almost claimed Lycan's life in the beginning. Here, people died. One wrong move or unexpected hit, and that was it. However, it was the player's later response that piqued Lycan's interest.  

"Front-lines, huh?" Lycan grinned. "It's an unachievable goal this late in the game. Only someone crazy would think they could catch up."

Lycan unfolded his arms and held out an open hand.

"Fortunately, I like crazy since I'm also aiming to close that gap. The name is Lycan. Yours?"

"Heh," Kyr chuckled in response to the negative view on catching up. "They're only on the fourteenth floor or so," he pointed out. "We have a better chance of catching up now than if they were in the seventies or something!" He was rarely ever so positive himself, so to show that sort of enthusiasm meant that Kyr was immensely serious about the matter.

However, he smirked because Lycan shared his goal. "Well hot damn, we're on the right track." He sheathed the heavy blade at his back and shuffled through his menu for the Friends' List. With a bit of effort, he sent an invitation to the other player. "It's not much, but we do have a unified goal. We should try to help each other out, yeah?"

He neglected to mention to Lycan that he was the first person to get on Kyr's Friends List. "Name's Kyr," he added. "Let's work hard and do our best."

The friend request popped up moment's later. Lycan looked it over briefly, his own friend's list only baring the name Axios. While he had met many people so far, not many felt inclined to add him. The swordsman selected accept.

"Nice to meet you, Kyr. Why don't we focus on getting you some gear before we tackle mobs? Are you familiar with gathering materials?" Lycan asked. "They're worth more than Col to the smiths around here."

Lycan had heard of a lake not too far from their current location. There, they could search the shores for washed up materials used in both tailoring and occasionally smithing. A friend of his frequented the area for crystals used in artificing and the occasional nugget of precious metal.

"Sure," the dark haired boy acquiesced. "That sounds like a pretty good idea. Lead on!" With a few swipes of his finger, the menu dissipated and he replaced the blade at his back. "I would say that we could probably handle a few more of those boars, but I'd rather not play with fire if I can avoid it. And I don't mitigate any damage that's coming at me, so they'd tear through my HP bar with a quickness."

He watched idly for a moment as Lycan accepted his friend request, then smiled. It felt good to actually know someone, to have someone he could talk to. The game was so insanely lonely, most of the time. Sure, he could talk to Juan, but the older man was usually wrapped up in some ludicrous activity back in town. He spent all his time helping the kids who got stuck on Aincrad, which made sense, but it also meant he rarely had time for chit chat.

Kyr understood the necessity of Juan's chosen path, though. Someone had to give the small children direction. It was such a horrible thing that players that young had even made it into SAO. Kyr's expression darkened.

"We have to beat this game," he said suddenly. "There's so much at stake. So many innocent lives that hang in the balance."

Lycan nodded.

"Stick close then. I may not be that much more of a higher level than you, but I'm kitted to take a hit or two. If we stumble on something, I'll try to wrap it up before things get dicey," the teen advised before gesturing in the direction they would be heading. As they made progress to the lake, Lycan kept a keen eye for the nearby spawns and tried to discern the rough area the next would appear. To some, it would appear as if he were confused as to which direction they were going. A more studious eye, would be able to deduce the reasoning behind his movements.

As they reached the tree lines, Lycan heard Kyr's statement.

"I agree," Lycan's tone was flat, but deep. "Hundreds have already had their names engraved on the Monument of Life. The faster you and I make it to the forward team, the faster they can clear the floors."

As the teen pushed branches out of his way to navigate the foliage, he shot Kyr a glance.

"Not that we're that important in the grand scheme..." Lycan squeezed between two tree trunks, the sound of water nearby, "But two extra swords is better than none."

The swordsman stepped through some waist high brush and emerged to a vast opening. In the center, a placid body of water reflected its nearby surroundings like a mirror. Only the occasional ripple from what dwell beneath disturbed its serenity. Lycan brushed off the few leaves and twigs his clothes accumulated along the way.

"Here we are, just keep an eye out for something useful. The more you focus on searching, the more the Cardinal system will help you see what is and what isn't a good material."

He glanced back at Kyr.

"Though I'm sure you're well versed in the basics by now." The teen gave a friendly grin. 

Lycan returned his eyes to the river bank and focused his mind on singling out useful materials. Cardinal kicked in, adding a colored tinge to his vision. However, after a moment of inspection, Lycan failed to find anything that stood out.

<<Searching>>

ID# 50123: -- LD: 14 --
No Materials found.

Edited by Lycan