SP-F1: Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go...

Warg's hike out to the woods had been thankfully uneventful, allowing him to focus on gathering resources in the forest rather than worrying whether he'd be getting pixelated today. Taking a break under a tree at the edge of the woods, Warg sat down and looked at the sky. Squinting the sun out of his eyes, Warg wondered faintly whether he'd ever get out of this game...then he wondered whether that's really so bad. Shaking his head, he pulled a small waterskin from his inventory and drank it up; he'd not realized how parched he was from his journey until he'd drunk the whole waterskin. "Alright, that's been plenty of time to rest..." Warg decided, standing up and watching the empty waterskin burst into light and be re-absorbed into the System. He walked into the woods and began searching for...well, whatever he could shove in his inventory, at this point.

ID# 53540

Loot: 19

Warg's eyes drifted over the forest, not seeing anything immediately obvious and likely looking like some moron wandering around the woods by himself. "If I'm not seeing the target, it's because I'm not looking for it properly..." Warg muttered to himself, repeating the words of a mentor of his from some time ago. Then he spotted it, a small apple tree, hidden behind a cluster of bushes and ivy. He sauntered smugly up to it, and put the apples in his inventory. "Off to an excellent start!" he chuckled to himself, continuing deeper into the woods, trying to see if the rumors he'd heard about good mushrooms being in these woods were true.

ID# 53541 

Loot: 19

"How do boars find truffles and mushrooms anyways? Is it because they're low to the ground?" Warg muttered to himself after a few minutes of no luck. He stopped and thought about it for a moment before dropping to the ground and crawling along near the roots of the bigger trees. Sure enough, before long, he came across a cluster of usable mushrooms for cooking. Maybe there was something to acting like an animal after all...

Stuffing the mushrooms in his virtual storage, Warg turned and saw a boar snuffling around for truffles or somesuch, similar to how he was. It was still a decent ways off, so he snuck back towards the edge of the forest again, away from the boar. Sadly this also took him away from the mushrooms, so he'd have to find more materials elsewhere in the forest, not so far in.

"I hate how dangerous even just one boar is to me....once I have a decent weapon and set of armor, I can actually start hunting, and then I can make REAL progress in this damned game." Warg fumed to himself as he walked to the edge of the forest, looking for some kind of material he could make use of for cooking. After all, best to keep his gathering focused, so he could sell all the stuff he picked up at the same place.

ID: 53548

Loot: 6 (check failed)

"Did I exhaust the apple supply the moment i picked a few up? Do they spawn more in at some point? Ugh. This game is weird when it comes to spawn rates." Warg complained. Then he burst out laughing, and sat down under a tree still chuckling; he realized how funny it was for him to be critiquing this game as if it was any other game, one he'd log out of and go eat dinner with his family after he was done for the evening. Shaking his head, he pulled some bread out of his inventory and snacked on it, deciding to go search the nearby mountainous terrain for ore. Maybe he'd have more material available there.

ID: 53549

Loot: 5

"I walk all the way over here and go freakin' spelunking and I still can't find anything. Ugh...maybe I just need to head back to town and sell what I have..." 

Having wasted plenty of time looking for nothing, Warg was starting to get aggravated, so he took a deep breath, punched a rock, and began the long trek back to town. "Huh. That hurt my hand less than I thought it was going to." Warg observed, rubbing his knuckles and wondering whether the game deadened his nerves on purpose or whether Kayaba had meant to make the mundane difficulties of the game a little less difficult.

Warg's musings were cut short when he saw a young woman and a young man fighting a boar just up ahead. He stopped to make sure it didn't aggro to him while they mopped it up, and watched them fight. The boar was actually doing surprisingly well for a computer program, kicking and swinging its tusks to prevent attacks being swung at it while it tried to gore the young man to death. The woman was producing little to no Hate, so the boar seemed to have decided that the man would die before it'd move on to the woman.

"Aren't you going to help?" the woman yelled to Warg when she saw him standing there, as the boar landed a solid hit on the man and knocked him down.

"Ugh..." Warg thought to himself, "On the one hand I can't stick my neck out for everyone...on the other hand, it's already in the red and just needs finished off, and it can still hurt them..."

The woman hit the boar in the eye with her sword, probably a critical hit, based on the way the boar turned to her and started lunging at her.
"It just had to be now..." Warg muttered, sprinting over to where the woman was kiting the boar.

Dashing over to the woman and placing himself between her and the boar just as it lunged, Warg silently prayed to every god of the Aesir whose help he could possibly want and tried to finish off the last of the beast's HP.

ID: 53601

BD: 5 (Fail)

MbD: 4 (Fail)

Bringing his sword crashing down on the beast's face, Warg caught its tusk and flung its head down and to the side, diverting its charge, but not doing any HP damage to the boar. Glancing at the woman's HP gauge, which was now in the yellow, Warg decided he'd done the right thing by engaging the mob. Squaring his feet up and taking stance, he prepared himself for the boar's next attack.

Then he realized, "The boar's a full-offense fighter...if I play defense I'll lose..." and with that threw himself at the boar, sword at his side, preparing to throw a sweeping cut at it in an attempt to finish it off.

ID: 53604

BD: 4

MbD: 1

His swing hit the boar in the side like intended, but didn't do anything besides throw it on the ground, after which the boar stood up indignantly, and dragged its hoof in the turf at Warg. Warg prepared to lunge in to the side as the boar prepared to rocket straight for his gut. At this point Warg noticed the woman and man who'd been fighting had backed off...he was all on his own now.

As Warg lunged in, some passive skill of the boar's must have kicked in, because its HP gauge went to full and its eyes turned bright red; Warg was going to need to hit it a lot harder than he'd thought. He went for a stab, which is not the easiest thing to do with a curved blade, but it was the main attack angle he'd not tried yet.

ID: 53609

BD: 7 (Hit: 1 point of damage, 3 HP left)

MbD: 7 (Hit: 3 points of damage, 1 HP left)

Unfortunately, the awkward stab let the boar get a solid hit in on him, so while the boar did take the stab's damage, it knocked Warg back and on the ground. Warg rolled to a standing position in an effort to recover, even though his HP was in the red at this point.

"Die, you stupid program! You're supposed to be a challenge, not a death sentence to new players! Keel. Over. And. Die!"

The last few words Warg punctuated with a blow each, swinging furiously at the boar to try and drop it.

ID: 53616

BD: 1 (Misses Critically)

MbD: 9 (Kills Warg)

Warg realized too late that he was open to attack, the boar swung its body around and gored him in the belly, killing him. In the moments before he broke into a thousand pieces of light, he cursed his willingness to help other people.

-PLAYER DEAD-