[PP-F1] Ignorance is Baffling - Complete

The sunrise of yet another day in Aincrad came brightly to the Starting City. The massive, sprawling capital was home to many shops, players, and establishments alike, offering players nearly anything they could need in the lower levels. The girl with bright orange hair was one of many calling the city her home. Out and about surprisingly early from her normal routine, the girl was sitting inside of the town's boundaries just next to the Eastern Gate. She gazed out over the sprawling fields, seemingly content at just watching the breeze cause the trees to sway. Every once in a while she squinted, watching a player here or there getting into fights with the basic monsters not far from the city walls. Aster sat on the warm stone path, off to the side so as not to get in anyone's way, with her knees pulled up to her chest. She would occasionally twirl her fingers around each other in apprehension, as if she wanted to be out there in the grassy field among the other low-leveled adventurers.

Edited by Aster

Guess who decided to drink water rather than booze for once?! Yes, I did! It felt good to taste something as simple as fresh water for once, I had grown too used to drowning my depressions in alcohol, but the joy from making a change to water for once was enough to cheer me up. That morning I had woken up, feeling really depressed, likely due to a nightmare or something. A new spring in my step thanks to my accomplishment, I headed for the walls of the First Floor to explore.

Oh, yes, I did decide to travel to the First Floor. The brightness and business of it helped to cheer me up, not to mention I enjoyed seeing a familiar scene. As I exited the walls, I noticed a small figure sitting on the road not far from the exit. Tilting my head, I approached the player and came up beside them, bending to peer down at the bespectacled girl. "Hey, you alright?" I asked, taking a seat beside her, careful to keep some distance between us so I did not seem creepy or anything.

A light breeze caused Aster's bangs to shift, and she pushed them to the side before placing her face in her hands. She took a deep breath, just know starting to wonder what she planned on doing with the rest of the day, when she heard a voice very close-by. She looked to the side, a bit surprised to find a man looking at her quizzically and taking a seat on the rough ground beside her. She hadn't anticipated anyone actually taking an interest in her idle daydreaming, but quickly reminded herself to respond before she looked too much like a deer in the headlights. "Oh, uhh, yes!" She replied, her brain just now registering his question. "I just like to look outside every once in a while. This place is actually a lot prettier than I ever thought it would be." She grew a bit more comfortable speaking, looking back out at the grassy hills and mountains far off in the distance.

• 2 weeks later...

I grinned at how stunned the girl looked from my approach. It seemed I had caught her in the middle of a daydream or something similar. She looked at me with some blank expression, like a cornered rat, before finally regaining her composure and speaking. She voiced her fascination with he beauty of the world that surrounded us, and I smiled with a nod of agreement. "You are very right. 'It is just a game', people say... they just do not realise how much a game can seem like reality." I mused with a cheeky smirk, the mention of reality quite ironic in our situation. "It sounds to me like you have not traveled far from town, right?" I questioned, looking back to the bespectacled female.

As the man spoke, Aster looked back out to the rolling fields before them. The artificial sun was shining brightly, and when the wind blew across the plains you could see the grass wave gently with it. This place was a technological miracle, as far as she was concerned. The light smile playing on her lips as she took in the sights persisted, even as a dull guilt throbbed in her chest. "Mm, no..." She responded calmly, closing her eyes as she rested her chin on her arms. She hadn't gotten a proper look at her company, but she grew to assume nearly everyone was a higher level than her by now, save for the smaller children that resided safely behind the city's walls. Opening her eyes again to give the man a glance from the corner of her eye, she couldn't help her curiosity. "I take it you have, though?" She asked, directing his attention away from her.

I looked out to the blazing, golden sun, rising through the sky as if pulled by some invisible, technological thread. The golden glow washed across the hills of the first floor, was blocked by the matted canopies of the forests. I had seen so much in my time in the world; I had traversed almost every floor, but I still had so much more to see, so many more major locations to visit.  I just wished I had the confidence to walk the perilous paths...

I was snapped out of it when the girl posed a question for me and I turned to smile at her. "I have visited almost every floor and fought on their fields... but I do have more places I wish to visit in this giant castle." I replied gently, my tone careful and kind. "Do you have a wish to visit the wilderness at any point?" I asked her, considering an adventure to some nice places around the First Floor.

Aster poked her fingertips together, mulling over his words. She chuckled at his question, "That makes it sound like a camping trip!" Admittedly, she wasn't able to relate any closer to that idea, but it sounded nicer than risking life and limb for experience points. She spoke up again with a small nod. "My answer would be yes, though. Holing myself up in this town... I already know I've been a coward for a long time." She looked straight ahead and took a deep breath, releasing it steadily as she continued. 'I'd like to try as hard as everyone else is." Her tone changed from somber to determined. "I guess, I've just been trying to find something to push me forward." She turned back to Grave with a weak smile. Her thoughts and feelings had weighed heavily on her mind lately, and she surprised herself with opening up so readily to a stranger.

Edited by Asteria

I slapped a crimson hand against my right knee and broke into a burst of laughter. "E-exactly! It does sound like a camping trip!" I agreed with a toothy grin in the girl's direction. "like the way you think." I complimented her and stood up, patting myself down. Her voice suddenly became somewhat less enthusiastic as she explained her 'cowardice' in holing herself up. "Hey hey, do not think that way, my dear. You are no coward. You simply value your life and are afraid to risk it, which is only natural. You do not need to fight and kill to make a difference in this game; I am one of the highest ranking Cooks in this game and make more difference than I realize on the frontlines with my crafts." I explained, scratching my left elbow with my right hand. Her low, saddened tone became much firmer and determined, and I grinned. "Tell me what it is you want to do to help the players. Whether you want to learn to fight, farm or craft, I can help you out." I told her, extending both my hands out to help her to her feet.

Aster couldn't hold back a chuckle at Grave's reaction. He was much more laid-back than most players, and overly-helpful to boot. She smiled, squinting up at him through the sunlight that hung overhead. His pep talk had her thinking, and after she accepted his hand and pulled herself up, the girl took a look at the 'virtual' hands she held up in front of her. She frowned slightly, as if unsure how to answer him. "Well, I suppose..." She started, picking her words carefully. "I might as well stick to what I know." Aster laced her fingers together and rested her hands in front of her torso. "I uh, only have the First Aid skill." She admitted sheepishly. "I know I can't fight on my own, but in a supportive role I know I can succeed!" Her voice was determined again.

I loved the immense pool of determination sitting in this girl's heart. She wanted to make a difference, no matter what, and I admired that. I patted the small girl on the shoulder momentarily, a wide grin splitting my lips. "First Aid; the closest skill to 'magic' in this game, and a life saver once trained." I said, my grin not leaving my face. "Since my chosen weapon is not exactly the most damaging, I am settling for a brute force-support role, taking up both Battle Healing and First Aid to stay in the fight, and keep others in it as well." I told her, agreeing with her foreseen success in using First Aid. "You have a powerful spirit." I told her, before opening up my inventory and retrieving a fox mask, half white and half blue. "I just realised, I did not get your name, nor did I introduce myself. My name is Grave, and no matter what your name is, I know this much-" I began to say, as I sat the fox mask atop her head at an angle. "-you have the burning determination of a fox spirit - a Kitsune, to be exact." I told her, stepping away to admire the image. "If you would not mind, I think Kitsu might be a cute nickname for you." I admitted with a sheepish grin.

Spoiler

Grave -> Aster:
Duality Kitsune Mask (Vanity Item): A Japanese fox mask with a white background and red markings. The left side is painted blue instead of white. (Left-most Mask)

Aster crossed her arms over her chest, nodding in thought as Grave explained his style of fighting and which skills he chose. She was set in her way of maxing out her First Aid skill before anything else, if she could get away with the lack of damage and defense as the drawback that would come with it. She had her Alchemy skill as well, which could make up for most shortcomings. The man opened his inventory before giving her his name, causing an inquisitive look from the girl.

"A fox...?" Aster reached up and took the mask, removing it to study the item. She first thought it looked very well-crafted, and she took a moment just to admire the design. Turning her attention back to Grave, Aster replaced the mask as he had set it on her head. "Well, my name is Aster," she started with a confident tone. She couldn't help a light pink crossing her cheeks, and averted her gaze as she continued, "but if you think that name is fitting... I'll accept that." The girl stated simply, masking her happiness with the only other emotion she could grasp for--embarrassment.

"Yes, a fox. You very much remind me of one." I told her, my beaming smile not faltering for a moment. The girl introduced herself as Aster, and I nodded in acknowledgment. "Aster... I like it. It sounds quite elegant." I responded nonchalantly, before I chuckled. "But Kitsu just sounds cute, and I think that fits you perfectly." I complimented the little spectacle wearer. "Now, Kitsu, where shall we go? What adventures do you deem the world to hold for us, my dear?" I asked, gesturing to the expanse of the First Floor, letting her have free reign over where we went.

A pink hue lingered over her cheeks as Aster didn't protest the man's compliments. Still averting her gaze, her attention was quickly drawn back forward as Grave motioned to the wilderness ahead of them. She blinked, the question he put forth catching her off-guard. Pushing up on the side of her glasses, Aster looked away again. "I... I don't know," She muttered. She hated those words. Truthfully, the entirety of Aincrad outside of the Starting City's walls were unknown to her. Normally, the idea of exploration alone would have been enough to have her digging in every corner and crevice in search of knowledge. And now that the option was presented in front of her so openly, her ambition shrank for some reason.

The girl pressed her lips together, glancing out at the rolling hills that ran seemingly infinitesimally into the distance. If she could do anything, throw caution to the wind and follow her heart, what would it say? She remained quiet for an uncomfortably long moment before finally speaking up again. "I want to defeat a boss monster." She said in a quiet voice, with almost a pout-like tone.

I quietly awaited Aster's reply to my question, hands hanging behind my back. My eyes widened when Aster quietly admitted that she wanted to defeat a boss monster, and I was momentarily cautious... but my muscles relaxed when I remembered how powerful I was; I could easily protect her, because chances were she would not attack very often. "Alright then. I am not too familiar with boss monsters on the First Floor, but I have heard of a large, two-headed ram out in the fields." I told the girl, hoping the monster would not be so weak that she would find the experience unentertaining. "How does that sound to you?" I asked, making sure that the bespectacled girl was alright with that kind of abomination.

Aster tilted her head to the side, intrigued at Grave's description. Her thoughts immediately reviewed what she remembered of mythological beasts--if she recalled correctly, a lot of games tended to base their monsters off of mythology and old legends, right? 'A two-headed ram...' The girl was now more focused on wracking her brain for information. 'Would that be... Egyptian influence? Maybe...' She mulled over her thoughts in silence before deciding that she couldn't draw anything conclusive. Turning her full attention back to the gray-haired man, Aster nodded. "Perfect." She agreed simply. "Do you know where to find it?" She tacked on, wondering how well-known this creature was. Not wanting to seem rude, she ended up in the position of fully relying on him, not only in combat but she would likely wind up completely lost outside with no direction. Her only saving grace was the massive sprawling city taking up a generous amount of land to serve as a huge landmark.

I smirked with Aster's agreement. "Sweet." I responded in kind, in a single word. It was when she asked me if I knew where to find it that I faltered. "I, uhm... not particularly... I know the rough area, but not particularly where it will be. If we are lucky, it should be in plain sight, granted that it is big enough." I admitted, not wanting to seem like a know-it-all who fishes for excuses when he does not know something. "It should be fine, though, I am pretty sure it will not be much of an inconvenience." I replied optimistically, before giving her a gentle pat on the shoulder and starting on my way. "Follow me, sweetheart." I called her along, careful not to walk too quickly with my six-foot gait.

Aster trotted after him obediently as Grave set off outside the city. She felt a bit anxious leaving the safety of town, but her reasoning kept her more or less at ease watching Grave's back in front of her. With someone else accompanying her, she would be fine. Nodding to herself as she finished her mental pep-talk, she increased her pace to keep up just behind the man's lead. The girl nudged the corner of her glasses with her right hand, glancing around as they walked through the sprawling fields.

A few minutes passed, Aster wordlessly following after Grave as they trekked through the grasslands. As something caught her eye, Aster looked off to the distance to the northeast, squinting a bit to try and see the figure clearly. "Ah." The girl tapped on Grave's shoulder to get his attention, pointing off in the direction she had been staring.

Roaming the empty field was in fact the creature they had been searching for--more or less. A massive monster with circular horns jutting out on either side of its two heads. Two pairs of bright yellow eyes in the shape of a ram's scanned the area directly in front of it, as if searching for its next challenger. The creature stood at an intimidating eight feet tall at least, and its frame was bulky and muscular. The monster brandished a large axe, and despite its odd heads it very much resembled a kind of minotaur.

Aster squinted again to try and get a good look at the creature, but at their distance she could only make out the most basic features. Frowning, she gave a sidelong glance to Grave, gauging his plan of attack before doing anything else.

Edited by Asteria
  • 2 weeks later...

I felt a tiny tapping on my shoulder and my eyes shot off to where Aster was pointing. My heart - and likely many more of my organs - leaped into my throat as I laid eyes upon the enormous beast. I had been expecting something more like an actual ram, and I instead received an abomination of a minotaur and the animal I had supposedly been hunting. Oh, and to make the bastard even more scary? He wielded an enormous axe, with a gnarled edge that exuded an intense order of bloodlust. "That thing could cleave us in two..." I muttered under my breath, before smirking and bringing my fists up, cracking my knuckles loudly. "Alright, ready to test out that healing of yours?" I asked her. "And before you ask, my plan is beat him until he dies. Simple and sweet." I explained with a chuckle.

Party:
Grave: 104/104 HP | NRG: 26/26 | D: 12 | M: 9 | E: 1 | Thorns: 1 | Rec: 2 | Combat Craft: 1
Aster: 36/36 HP | NRG: 9/9 | D: 1 | M: 27 | L: 2 | Combat Craft: 3

Enemies:
Greater Ram: 180/180 HP | D: 28 | M: 15 | Earthshatter: On an MD of 9 or 10, Greater Ram will slam his axe into the earth, shattering it in a line, dealing damage and stunning all players with Hate accumulated.

Edited by Grave

Aster's eyes seemed to sparkle as the Ram came clearly into view. The breath she had been holding slowly released itself from her as she glanced over to Grave. The girl smirked, bringing her arms up and lightly punching her open palm. "Sounds like a good plan," She mused, readying herself for the fight.

Meanwhile, the ram continued its constant patrol, sweeping its dual gazes out over the fields. When it was close enough, one of its heads stopped on the pair and gave a challenging snort. The creature stopped its movement as if waiting for the players to initiate combat, staring them down while keeping a firm grip on its axe.

I could not help but laugh at the girl's enthusiasm to get the fight going. "Alright, Hotshot, let us do this." I sighed, cracking my knuckles casually, before bolting off towards the monster that had sighted us. I brought my right fist back, and it glowed a sapphire hue as I streaked across the grass. "Here we-" I began to shout, before the goat raised its axe prematurely, glowing a fiery orange, "-go?" I squeaked, before the goat slammed its axe into the earth, upending the ground below me, and sending me flying all the way back towards Aster. But the attack did not stop there; the earth continued to shatter and belt me around as I was thrown back, and the earth eventually blasted Aster away likewise. "Shite!" I shouted as I grabbed the small girl mid-air, and tucked her close to me, skidding across the grass after the earth stopped beating us like a cat does yarn. "You okay?" I sighed to the healer, looking up at the now enraged beast.

ID: 60481 | BD: 5 | MD: 9 (10 - 1)

28 + 2 - 9 = 21 Earthshatter Damage to Grave (No Hate = No Stun)
28 + 2 - 27 = 3 Earthshatter Damage to Aster (No Hate = No Stun)

Party:
Grave: 83/104 HP | NRG: 24/26 | D: 12 | M: 9 | E: 1 | Thorns: 1 | Rec: 2 | Combat Craft: 1
Aster: 33/36 HP | NRG: 9/9 | D: 1 | M: 27 | L: 2 | Combat Craft: 3

Enemies:
Greater Ram: 180/180 HP | D: 28 | M: 15 | Earthshatter: On an MD of 9 or 10, Greater Ram will slam his axe into the earth, shattering it in a line, dealing damage and stunning all players with Hate accumulated.

Edited by Grave