[PP-F4] In Search of the Frostbitten Phoenix <<Feeding the Enemy>> (Completed)

Birdie took a sip of her tea, resting comfortably in her chair as a nearby fireplace warmed up the girl's cold skin. The weather outside had turned miserable since her arrival in <<Snowfrost Town>>, escalating from a relatively calm snowstorm into an all-out blizzard. She was lucky to find an inn as quickly as she had, the fear of becoming a human-shaped icicle out there being far too real. As her eyes looked out from one of the inn's circular windows, she noticed that the storm had calmed down considerably, though she still wanted to finish her drink before heading out into the snowy paradise.

The reason for her presence on the fourth floor was simple, if a little bold. Rumours had spread of an exceedingly rare bird-like creature hidden out in the woods surrounding <<Snowfrost Town>>, who’s wings are said to burn with an ice-cold flame. It sounded like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to Birdie, 'who'd believe that pile of rubbish?' She'd be a fool to admit that her curiosity wasn't immediately piqued though, icy wings? Who wouldn't want to check it out! So, after picking up the <<Feeding the Enemy>> quest on her way up to <Winter Wonderland>>, she equipped herself with a snow jacket and immediately set out to investigate the rumours. Of course, the weather had other plans.

The patrons inside the inn were plentiful, the place ended up being a lot more popular than she'd first imagined. More and more people began to pour in through the door, no doubt led there by the inviting glow of the fireplace illuminating the streets outside. Right when the bar became 'overcrowded' - for Birdie's tastes anyway - she decided to finish up what was left her drink right away, covering her mouth afterwards so that no tea could accidentally spill out through her lips. She chugged the whole thing down in one guzzle, prompting her eyes to nearly bulge out of her head as an instant feeling of regret washed over her. 'Euuuggh that was terrible..'

She stood up from her chair silently and made way for the door, intent on leaving as briskly as possible. Turning a corner at her table, she became distracted by someone's voice escalating at the bar, completely oblivious to the stranger stood right in front of her. A surprised shriek escaped her lips as she bumped straight into the man, accidentally knocking him forwards a little before she covered her mouth with both hands. "Ohmygosh I am so sorry! A-are you okay?"

Edited by Birdie
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You've got to be kidding me." Arc watched the bar fight escalate into a proper brawl as several uneasy patrons tried to dissuade the combatants from further conflict. Cries of 'save it for the arena' and 'take it outside' protested the fistfight, but both men seemed disinterested in backing down. Whatever drove them to argument must have been truly worthwhile, if they were dumb enough to fight inside a safe zone where nothing could come of it. At least, nothing short of a duel. "You two calm the heck down-" he started to say, but the words left his mouth incomplete.

Arc felt the impact, though no pain came of it.

He wheeled quickly, half expecting one of the two imbeciles to have shoved the other into him. He was pleasantly surprised to find that hadn't been the case. His eyes swept down to where the girl was apologizing profusely, and he tilted his head a bit. "Uh, hey, it's no problem," he told her. "Things were starting to get a little heated in here anyway, so I'm surprised more people aren't bumping into one another." He wanted to turn around and sock both men in the face for their inane rampage, but knew that it would profit him nothing. He spared a quick look back in their direction with a seething expression, but that was quickly dispelled when he sighed and gave a shrug.

He reached into his cloak and produced a flask of rum, then partook of a quick sip. Alcohol had the same warming effect in the game that it had in real life, so it helped him to deal with the elements when they got frisky like today on the fourth floor. Cardinal liked to throw players a curveball now and again, but some of the more knowledgeable denizens of Aincrad had engineered ways to work around their displeasure. It wouldn't work for terrain like sandstorms, but snow? That was easy enough.

Conveniently, it also helped the man to calm down when he was out of sorts. Getting a rise from the uncalled for fighting certainly took his choler to a high note, but his mood rapidly changed the moment the girl hit him. Arc wasn't fond of dealing with other players because of his innate distrust, but Tobias- the player behind the mask- was a soft hearted fellow. He had to swallow his urge to offer the girl his help. That might come off as unsightly and she might think he was attempting to hit on her.

The Mercenary definitely didn't want to make her uncomfortable with his foolish antics. His eyes shifted toward the door for a long moment before they returned to the girl. "How about you?" he asked, though he knew it to be no more than a formality. The system wouldn't let them come to harm like that. "Are you alright?"

Birdie barely registered the exchange between the drunken adversaries, tuning out their aggressive tones in favour of keeping the filth out of her ears. The man whom she'd bumped into quickly shot down the fear of her causing him harm, causing her to relax and breath a hushed sigh of relief. Still, it didn't change the fact that she had inconvenienced this cloaked stranger, and her eyes slowly trailed up to his after scanning the rest of the boy's attire. 'He looks capable.. should I ask him? I don't want to inconvenience him any more than I already have..'

The quest wouldn't be easy to solo, especially given her insistence on completing it on the fourth floor. The monsters there were a lot stronger than the boars she'd come to know on the first floor, and landing herself in combat with an enemy wouldn't end so well for Birdie. Even if the girl did manage to stumble across the rare creature she was looking for, there's no telling how if it was passive or not, and she risked falling to the very thing she was looking for.

Distracted by her own thoughts, she almost missed the boy's questions entirely. "Hm? Oh, u-uh, I'm fine. Just bent my finger a little bit-" She wiggled her index finger, "-b-but it'll be fine!" Her tone shifted into a quiet whisper, "I hope, anyway.." Her eyes dipped down to the floor for a moment, the girl's cheeks beginning to glow a faint red colour. 'He seems kind enough, maybe he'll say yes?'

"Actually, uhm.." She started, her eyes rising from the floor as they went to look at the boy again. Having someone with her for the quest would be a huge benefit but she didn't want to make it seem like she was just using him for personal gain. "I'm actually here on a quest, it's called uh, <<Feeding the Enemy>>?" Her eyes wandered to the windows, the snow storm had dissipated and gentle snow was falling gracefully once more. "There's been some rumours of a rare creature out in these woods, what was it called.. uh, a Frostbite Phoenix?" She knew it was something close to that, swinging her eyes back to the boy. "The monsters on this floor are a lot stronger than I'm used to, a-at least, I think so..  Are you uhm, are you free at the moment?" She did have the guts to ask him if he'd help her, instead dropping painfully obvious hints.

Edited by Birdie

Arc blinked when she looked him over, uncertain what to make of it. He never got that sort of look from anyone back home, especially not accompanied by thoughtful silence. What did that mean? As she mentioned her finger, he glanced at the indicated appendage with an appraising eye for a moment before meeting her eyes again. She quickly looked away. She's as flighty as Thom used to be with people, he observed. Social anxiety? That would explain things. I shouldn't make her exert herself too much with interaction, if that's the case.

He recalled how his best friend had not taken well to their initial contact, or to the myriad encounters prior to finally warming up to him. He had always been more outgoing than the other man, but he learned quickly that someone like that had to come to you. It couldn't be forced. She asserted that she would be fine, and he gave a soft smile. "That's good," he confirmed in a gentle voice. He might have quipped at someone else about how it'd be a shame for them to go down from a busted finger, but he relented. No use in being uselessly mean to someone who was trying to open up a bit.

It took him off guard when she asked if he was doing anything. A quest? A Frost Phoenix? It sounded like a good little challenge, at the very least. He was intent on honing his skills as much as possible, so the answer came as naturally as breathing. "Sure, I'll help you out," he said with a quick thumbs up. "Sounds like a good test of skill, and I'm all about that kind of thing."

His green gaze turned slowly toward the window, frozen over by the threatening snowstorm. Veins of pure white stretched across the glass like tendrils of winter that sought to consume all in their frigid grasp. The mercenary frowned. It might not be able to kill us, but the weather might be a bit vexing.  He reached up to scratch his head for a moment, then glanced back at Birdie. "You're uh," he started, uncertain of himself for a moment. He wasn't great at talking to people when it came right down to it. Trying not to come off too friendly It made him seem more awkward than he really was.  "Do you have clothes that'll keep you warm? It's going to be pretty cold out there."

Her breathing audibly calmed as the man accepted, the looming idea of having to brave the storm alone now a mere whisper in the depths of her mind. His justification for coming along aroused a mild curiosity within. 'Test of skill? He seems to be entirely confident that no danger will come of venturing out in this snowstorm - it's almost... uh.. comforting?' Her body ran on auto-pilot as the woman struggled to find an appropriate word, navigating through the menu until she reached the party screen. She didn't want to risk inviting someone random into the party, so she decided to leave it until a later on.

She gazed at the man when those two empty words left his mouth, raising an eyebrow as he seemed to struggle for a moment. 'Did I do something..?' she thought. His next comment caused her to blink, "Huh?.. Oh!" She looked down at herself, "Of course! Sorry, I-I uhm, I just didn't think to uh... excuse me for a moment." The girl twirled on the spot, backing out of the party screen in favour of searching through her inventory. 'Clothes, clothes.. aha!' Birdie selected her winter gear and clicked the 'Equip' button, her current outfit disappearing into digital mist as it switched out for a more appropriate set of gear.

Turning around, she faced him with a smile. "Is this better?" She held her arms out to the side to reveal her new outfit: a navy blue jacket lined with faux fur worn over a black v-neck kept the girl warm from shoulder to mid-thigh. The skirt and tights had been replaced by black jeans and a pair of winter boots protected her feet, the cuff reaching up to the middle of her shins. She chose not to wear a hat, fearing that it might impair her hearing in a tense situation.

"I might have gone a little overboard with the jacket's fur but, well.." She glanced past the boy, looking through the door's window. "It's not a choice I'll regret." The girl gave him a smile and opened up the party menu, walking towards the door in the mean time. She paused once she was presented with a list of names to invite, and she made sure that the man was the closest person in proximity to her. "Hm.. Arc?" She hit the invite button preemptively, her eyes widening with panic as she realised she might've just sent a party request to the wrong person. Her eyes frantically looked to his, 'Please tell me his name is Arc..'

His fingers flipped across the inventory screen and Levantine appeared at his back, nearly as big as the Mercenary himself. He did not need heavier clothes, since his equipment was layered enough to deal with adverse environments. Instead, when she turned around and shifted to her new clothes he gave a quick nod. "That works," he said in an almost cheery voice. "You're ready to go out in this mess, now."

Arc sincerely doubted that doubling up on warmth would be a bad call. The pretense of a fight was all but forgotten the moment she'd asked for his help, and Arc was already formulating a plan to find this legendary bird of hers. When she toggled his name and sent the invite, it flickered in front of him as if in answer to her internal conflict. He keyed the button without a second thought. "Do you have any vague idea of where the creature generally is found?" he asked. Any information she had on the quest or her intended pet would be beneficial to their efforts. "I'm afraid I've never done this quest before myself, though I've handled a few others on the job."

The Mercenary was spartan in attire: a simple black cloak that shrouded his upper body, loose fitting and perfect for someone who needed to move around. He had dark colored trousers and a black undershirt, but nothing other than that of significance. His striking green gaze moved over Birdie again as he glanced up at her name and health bar. He smiled faintly. "Nice to meet you, Miss Birdie," he greeted warmly. It was the sort of thing most people took for granted, but a gentleman always does that, right?

Wait, that wasn't wrong, was it? Tobias panicked. I forgot, I totally have no idea what to say to girls. In a situation where he wasn't doing something like jumping in and playing the fierce, lone wolf mercenary Arc, he had to revert to other means of communication. Happy medium, Tobes, find a happy medium. Use the character to keep yourself from losing your cool, but don't be too big of a jerk-

He shook his head. No, stop, you're overthinking it dude. Calmmmmmm down. It's just a quest. It's just a quest. It's just a quest...

"I should have introduced myself first," he said, "I totally forgot. I'm Arc."

You did that whole thing backwards, moron. Crap. So much for playing it cool.

A wave of relief washed over Birdie, her eyes looking to the man's username in the corner of the screen. 'Thank goodness, nearly messed that one up bad..' Arc's cheery words only motivated Birdie and she offered him a smile, going about her business thereafter. A curious noise escaped her closed lips as Arc asked about the rare creature's whereabouts, Birdie only vaguely knew were the animal might be found. "I see, sorry for dragging you into this then, hopefully it wont take us too long to find the bird." She'd begun to feel guilty for wasting this stranger's time.

"I don't know much about the Frostbite Phoenix other than it's somewhere nearby, I think the man said he saw it just North of the town. Hm, it's meant to be a deep blue colour..." She paused for a moment, bringing a finger to her chin. "Uhm... Oh! Apparently it sheds its feathers when they get damaged, completely riding them of imperfections when they grow back a few days later. I'm not sure if the man who told me that last thing was being facetious or not.." She shrugged, assuming the detail wouldn't be vital to their search.

Birdie was surprised to hear those words leaving Arc's mouth; it's not that she expected him to be anything less than a gentlemen, but she was so used to be addressed as just 'Birdie'. "T-thank you," she managed, pulling off a smile. Everything seemed to be in order and the snow storm looked like it had calmed at least a tiny bit, now was as good a time as any to get a move on. She started to walk to the door, reaching a hand out to the handle before Arc's words reached her ears. She turned around and listened with the same smile from before, an eyebrow rising when the man appeared to muddle his words up. "Y-you.. forgot that your name was Arc?" She tried to hold in a small fit of laughter; Birdie didn't mean to upset the poor guy, she just found his wording hilarious and couldn't stop herself from chuckling a little. "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you Arc," she said, offering him a courteous bow.

"Are you set to head out? It looks survivable at the moment, there's no telling how long that'll last though.." She scanned the outside briefly, looking back to the Arc afterwards. If the man said yes, she'd take a brave sigh and swing the door open, taking the first steps into the eye of the storm.

"Tall tales aren't exactly uncommon," he noted. "People around here like to listen to themselves talk, and sometimes they act like old fishermen and start imagining massive white whales, if you take my meaning. Still, there's some merit in the actual search- if that bird is out there, we'll find it. I'll see to that." He was the sort of person who pushed through to the end when he agreed to do something. There was no backing out of it now. "If it does turn out to be nonsense, then we'll have had a good time and gotten some experience out of the deal. Win/win, don't you think?"

That was when she started to laugh. Arc glanced sidelong and grinned as he tried to figure out how to react. Did he muck up that badly, again? A tinge of relief crept through him when she revealed her reason for the giggles. His face burned hotter for a moment. "Ah, oh, um, no..." he scratched at the back of his head. "What I meant was that I should have introduced myself first. Sorry about that."

The deed was done, of course. The girl was already unwound and laughing, which was a good sign. Arc was glad for that much. When she first ran into him, she seemed uneasy and like she might even be on edge. He let out a cleansing breath. "It's good to meet you, too."

When she gripped the door handle, he patted her shoulder. "Ready when you are, ma'am," he told her. "Let's find that turkey of yours and light a fire under it, eh?"

The door swung open and the wind blew strong into the entryway. Several sounds of displeasure cropped up from the peanut galley, but the wailing wind was too loud for either player to hear. Arc glanced to Birdie with a nod, then took to the snowbound city with an eager light in his eyes. Winter whipped to and fro as flakes of frosty white swept across his field of vision and alighted on his face.

Arc sneezed.

"Bah," he muttered. "It's snowing harder than I thought."

Edited by Arc

Birdie ushered a nod when the man confirmed he was ready, though his choice of words afterwards garnered a look of horror on the girl's face for an instant. She almost felt the need to blurt out that they weren't going to bring harm to the bird, though she thought it best to keep quiet after realising Arc was likely joking around.

Moving through the harsh wind and heavy snow, Birdie tucked her chin into the fur collar of her coat, shielding her mouth and neck from the freezing cold. Though only the top half of her face was visible, you could see in her eyes that she was concerned for the boy's well-being. "I-I'm sorry." Her voice was muffled behind the jacket, "If it's too much, we could always try again another time.." There was a sincere hint of disappointment in her voice, the slanted eyebrows resting atop her cyan eyes aiding to that sentiment.

The dark clouds cast a shadow on the town and the surrounding forests, proving it that much harder to see the ground ahead of them. From where they stood, the main path leading into the forest was partially visible and they would still be good to head out into the unknown, though that hinged on whether the weather had seized Arc's desires to continue journeying with her; whatever the outcome, she was determined to see the quest through to the end that day. 

"Nah," he told her without glancing back, "I said I'd help you, I don't plan on backing down because of inclimate weather. Besides, its just something to get used to. There are worse things than this waiting ahead of us." His enthusiasm was unshaken by the storm as his feet sank into the drifts. He drew the hood of his cloak and it shrouded his face, reddened cheeks and all. The warmth it offered was negligible, but it did give some protection from the biting gale. As they neared the edge of town, he glanced in her direction.

"Make sure all your weapons and armor are set before we head out. Don't want to get blindsided by any mobs without being ready, right?"

He paused to wait for her as he gripped his own weapon in a single hand. The familiarity of its hilt helped to assuage some of the anxiety that came with fighting on the fourth floor. Arc had not had the chance yet, so it both excited and terrified him. How much worse would it be than the beasts he was used to fighting? Were the algorithms infinitely more complex, or was it an issue of health and strength? What would Aincrad do to make the challenge more imposing?

All these thoughts had the mercenary chomping at the bit. To become the strongest warrior meant facing each new challenge and not backing down. It was a test not meant for the faint of heart. His gaze moved back and forth, skimming the decreased field of vision for anything that might prompt his HUD to target it. Another player, an enemy, or even treasure might wait beyond every five feet or so for the bravest players. His awareness was heightened due to the cold. He found himself mentally moving through different scenarios and letting them play out as he started to escort Birdie out of the safe zone and into the wilds.

The fourth floor, huh? A never-ending winter, and the promise of a cold death for any fool who falls pray to his own overconfidence. That's the kind of place this is. Best to keep that in mind as you dare to dream, Tobias.

He took a few more steps and glanced toward his minimap. "Says here we have a few directions we could go in," he mentioned. "Any preferences?"

Edited by Arc

She found herself staring up at him, half baffled by the man's willingness to help out a complete stranger and half grateful for his commitment to providing aid for the quest. To find somebody that was willing to help out with a simple task was a rarity in SAO, yet here was a guy who'd risk his own well-being in the harshest of snowstorms to help her find a measly familiar. Alarm bells should've be ringing in Birdie's brain telling her to not trust this stranger, yet she felt oddly at ease with his presence. Perhaps it was just the confidence she held in her ability to flee, should he try and stab her in the back later on.

Their travels led them outside the borders of the safe zone and Birdie was already on high alert. 'If the enemies on this floor are anything like the boars then we should be able hear them from a mile away, it's just hard to hear anything through this blizzard..' She followed Arc by his side, glancing towards him when his voice reached her ears. Birdie pulled up the minimap herself and noted each of the paths, one leading up to higher ground whilst the others branched off left and right. "Yeah, uhm.. why don't we head straight up?" Her preference landed on the path leading them forwards, ascending up a shallow hill. "We can retrace our steps easily that way."

The logic she employed was rational; instead of having to curve around a corner to find their way back, it would be easier to walk back in a straight line once the quest was completed. As her thoughts began to linger on Snowfrost Town, the woman's eyes widened when she remembered back to the confrontation at the inn. She looked to the man with a curious stint in her expression, partially masked by her coat's collar. "I meant to ask you back there, how come you're on the fourth floor? Are you doing a quest too?"

Information dealers on the higher floors were more aware than their predecessors. When Arc meant to glean something or seek out a new item or quest, he knew he had to go above the first or second floor to cover any sort of ground. As a self-styled Mercenary and largely solo player, it was important for him to utilize every resource available to stay alive and further his advancement. It never occurred to him that someone might be far more flighty than he was, especially when he was in the group. He just assumed that it was normal for people to want to get better, and that everyone had the same goal in mind. Fear played a minor role in his internal narrative.

He was loyal by nature, so when he offered to help someone, that was what he did. There were no ulterior motives, no twisted desire to grip someone by their heart and wring them out. Arc was dimly aware that such people existed in the world, but they did not weigh heavily on his mind. It's far better to be the best person you can than to seek to change someone else. His father's words played back in his mind. Stand against injustice where you can, but in your own way. Don't worry about killing the villain, worry about saving the victim.

"Straight on it is," he assented when she gave the direction, and he dug in deep while keeping to the trail. It was hard to some degree, since the snow covered the path, but the periodic existence of a sign or marker let him know they were staying the course. "I doubt we'll be able to see our tracks going back, but the path is marked well enough. Make sure to stay close," he told her. "Since it's hard to tell where the road is exactly, we might accidentally pull aggro from a nearby mob."

If that did happen, it wouldn't be too problematic. They should be able to take on at least one, if not get away. As much as he hated the idea of running.

"No," he shook his head. "I was here looking for one of the Information dealers," he revealed. "They have different clues about weapons, armor, quests, bosses, and such that they pick up from higher level players and their own scouting efforts. They sell that information at a price to willing buyers. I was hoping to find out about some mobs that might drop decent armor or yield high experience, but so far no luck."

Arc blushed a bit. "I got frustrated and stopped for a drink, but the fight interrupted me. Then you asked for my help."

As much as she was hesitant to consider the idea of an unforeseen ambush, the boy's mention of it happening certainly enlightened her to the possibility. She'd keep an ounce more of her attention committed to scanning the area for mobs as they ventured onwards, hoping to minimalise the amount of confrontation they'd face on their quest.

It was then that Arc began to reveal his intentions for the fourth floor, earning an intent gaze from Birdie's cyan eyes. The dealers made sense when she thought about it; players who sought out a challenge could exchange their money in return for specific information, and if something good comes of it, they would return for repeated business. He went on to mention his lament about not coming across any useful information yet, followed by the reason he'd stopped off at the inn. If she didn't feel bad for dragging him along before, this cemented her guilt.

"I'm sorry to hear your search hasn't been going well.. I don't know enough about any rare items or quests to help you there." Birdie wanted to repay him for helping her with this quest, but supplying him with useful information wasn't going to be the way she'd do it. As her eyes returned to the path a rush of red warmed up her cheeks, hidden beneath the fur collar. 'Maybe I should ask when the quest's completed.. it's really not appropriate out here.'

White surrounded the entire world around them, spanning for as far as the eye could see. Small breaks in the trees revealed unshapely figures lurking in the distance, no doubt the local mobs for this section of the floor. Birdie retreated further into her collar. 'Let's just avoid them,' she thought, keeping an eye on the minimap. The town had almost disappeared from view, now only a faint speck of light in the distance. "That's comforting.." she muttered under her breath, shielding her eyes with the sleeve of her jacket as she scanned the area for any sight of their target. "So, does that mean you're trying to reach the frontlines?" Most people who desired high experience rewards seemed to have that goal in mind. Then again it was entirely possible he had other motives; training to become a bodyguard for hire wasn't entirely unheard of.

"Nah, don't sweat it!" he smiled brightly for a moment, which contrasted the dreary cold that assailed him. "It's good to be able to do something other than piss around in an inn. And if it means I get to help someone out, even better. Us players have to look out for one another, right?" It was an unspoken rule of Aincrad; everyone was marked for death the moment they logged in. There were players that delighted in that knowledge and sought to stain their markers red with the blood of their fellow prisoners, but there were a whole lot more people who wanted nothing more than to see the day they'd all be free again. Those people either tended their normal routine with vigilance, helping where they could, or they sought the very tip top of play: the Frontlines.

No matter where you fell in the hierarchy, it was important to do what you could, where you could. Merchants and Alchemists provided potions for boss efforts in an attempt to curb losses. Blacksmiths and Tailors fashioned armor for the best fighters with the hopes they would rocket to new heights. Arc resolved to take on quests and sell his sword to challenge people to get out of their own way and rail against the injustices of Sword Art Online. "I'll inevitably find a good item, so I'm not too worried about when it happens."

Snow swallowed their field of vision whole as they persevered through the harrowing storm. "All we can do is keep pushing forward now," he told himself more than Birdie. "Eventually, we should find a clue as to where we're headed."

None of his thoughts appeared to be on what they might fight, or how difficult the encounters would prove. When she addressed his reasons for doing it all, his eyes lit up. "That's right," he answered honestly. "To the Frontlines, so I can fight to get everyone home safe and sound." He glanced down at the ground for a moment. "I know that sounds pretty silly, coming from a low level player, huh?"

ID# 67404 (The original post the roll was linked to was deleted due to a double-posting v_v) | LD: 12 (9+3) | Familiar spawned, must wait 15 more posts before attempting capture.

Her head bobbed from inside her coat, signifying a nod. "Right." Hearing those words really did cheer her up. If there was one thing about SAO she appreciated more than those brave enough to risk their lives in the frontlines, it was the overall sense of community that had sprouted from the seeds of entrapment. Sure, 10,000 players were stuck inside a virtual reality, but this meant that they could all band together to raccomplish one common goal; find a way out of this game.

'Let's hope we find something soon, we'll freeze out here at this rate..' The storm hadn't let up none since the duo travelled away from the village, though things didn't seem to be getting much worse either. Their ascension up the hill meant that it would naturally get colder the higher they got, but the difference would probably be negligible unless the Cardinal manually lowered the temperature.

"No, of course not, it's actually really noble of you to think so." It takes a brave soul to get out there and fight the toughest enemies, though some would refer to it as the fool's work. "I plan to support the front lines too but I'm not very useful in a fight - not yet, anyway... Until then, I'll work my way up the Artisan rankings and provide you freedom fighters with as much gear as I can." The path she'd chosen for herself was long, though she was steadily working to improve her skills as a fighter. In time she'd become a master craftswoman and duellist - that was the dream, anyway. A light smile befell the girl's face, "Maybe we'll see each other out there one day?"

A sharp cry pierced through the cold of air, throwing the girl to a knee as she covered up her ears. "Ah!.. What was that?!" The ground began to rumble, displacing the snow that lie on the tree branches. A set of wings flapped in the distance, the grey silhouette of a bird growing in size until the creature was close enough to be distinguished: it's underbelly was a beautiful deep sapphire colour, contrasting with a lighter shade of blue that lined the top of its head all the way down its tail feathers. The bird's wings flared out a metre each way, leaving a trail of ice behind that quickly whisked away with the blizzard's harsh winds. Birdie's eyes barely managed to follow the majestic creature as it flew above, "Th.. that's it!"

The bird's talons wrapped around the branch of a tree up high, its ear-bursting screech sounding once again as its gaze rested upon the direction it came from. Lagging behind, an imposing figure revealed itself from the fog of the snowstorm; a humanoid with thick white fur all over, wielding a large stone club. The red indicator above its head would make anyone fear its presence, and its gaze fell upon the bird once more.

Mob spawned:

Spoiler

<<Lesser Yeti>> (no loot)

65/65 HP, | 5 DMG

Edited by Birdie

"Count on it!" he called out the affirmation the moment she hinted that they might see each other on the Frontlines. His face was ablaze with sudden excitement that he couldn't quite contain. "Err, I mean, yeah definitely." Arc glanced toward the direction they'd come from, so far away now that not even light reached them through the opaque haze. "I've got your back any time, Miss Birdie. If you need help on your path, just ask and I'll do what I can for you. From one person who dares to defy this death game to another."

Normally, he would have charged someone for a service like that. Her kind words gave him a sense of significance, and it made him feel like he wasn't just toiling for nothing. He didn't mind a bit of goodwill for someone who gave him that kind of inspirational pep talk. "I've never really looked into the Artisan stuff, to tell you the truth," he started, "I always kind of thought in terms of weapons and armo-"

His words stopped short when a shrill outcry reverberated the world around them. His gaze tore left then right, and up. Birdie indicated that the creature was her intended prize, and Arc nodded. "We'll have to follow it," he resolved. "But first, we've got to take care of this thing." He pointed to the Yeti as he ripped the blade from his back and brandished it menacingly. His own demeanor rivaled the primitive primate in swagger, but there was a danger about Arc that dwarfed the beast's own.

"I'll get its attention," he called back as his feet carried him forward with a mind of their own. "You're mine!"

The Yeti swiped at him as he came close with every intention of batting him to the ground for a right mauling. Arc deprived it of the opportunity with a swift and concise dodge. He barely leaned to one side mid-stride and the creature's attack went wide of him. Arc took the opportunity to sink Levantine deep into its torso. His lips stretched in a grim smirk as he pulled the weapon through and a bright red line appeared where he made his mark.

It let out a roar.

Arc: 140/140 HP 13/14 Energy (1 Hate)

Birdie: 80/80 HP 8/8 Energy

Lesser Yeti: 60/65 HP 

ID# 67408 results:

Battle: 6

Craft: 11

Loot: 8

MOB: 5

Edited by Arc

Her gaze shifted from the majestic rare creature to its 'lesser' combatant, though the monster she saw was anything but. Arc's words gained a weak smile from Birdie, soon wiped away by the mention of having to battle the abomination grumbling before them.

A nod was all she could give him as the man made haste for the beast, screaming a war cry in a bid to gain its attention. She picked herself up from one knee and could only watch as Arc skillfully weaved around the Yeti's attack, thrusting his own weapon into the body of the brute. 

'He'll willingly fight off a dangerous mob, even if there's a real chance of getting himself hurt..' Her eyes didn't waver as the battle unfolded; the Yeti had sluggishly swung its club towards Arc in attempt to create some distance between itself  and the player. Reaching for the hilt of her weapon, her fingers trembled at the touch of the freezing cold metal. 'How is he able to do that, in a game where death is such a real possibility, he..' She thought back to his words. 

'To the Frontlines, so I can fight to get everyone home safe and sound.'

She smiled, it didn't last. "Watch about!" She cried as the Yeti prepared for another attack, rearing its club backwards in order to charge up a strike.

ID# 67425 | BD: 3 | CD: 9 | LD: 11 | MD: 6

Arc: 140/140 HP 13/14 Energy (1 Hate)

Birdie: 80/80 HP 8/8 Energy

Lesser Yeti: 60/65 HP 

Edited by Birdie

The beast slammed its weapon down in defiance as the mercenary weaved a web around it, leaving no room for the creature to react. Arc knew that it would inevitably find a way to damage him, but he did not expect it to do so in the way that unfolded before him. The ground trembled beneath its attack and wavered, and it felt as though the entire floor were shaking. Snowfall became erratic for a moment. Arc's footing became uneasy. He gave a startled shout to Birdie. "Stay back!"

No sooner did he say so than the ground cleaved at a fault. Arc was tossed airborne by the miniature seismic anomaly. "Tch!" His health bar took a mean dip from the powerful move, but that did not bother Arc in the slightest. Can't get discouraged by one good hit, can I? His lips even twisted into an excited smile. So this was how much stronger the creatures of Aincrad got as you went up the Floors. He felt the excitement as it burned in his veins, adrenal and otherwise.

My turn.

As he began to descend from on high, the mercenary took command of his freefall. The aerial position gave him an advantage that he was all too willing to exploit. He brought Levantine across his body, then downward in a powerful cleaving arc.

The yeti gave a terrified and surprised screech. Cold steel bit into a creature that generally did not fear the touch of winter. It finally understood terror. A deep red laceration appeared in the wake of Arc's attack as the player bounced on the balls of his feet and hopped backward, out of the immediate reach of the beast. No more surprises. Just a good old fashioned brawl from now on. "All clear," he called back over his shoulder as he moved. "Should be safe now."

Arc: 133/140 HP 12/14 Energy (3 Hate)

Birdie: 80/80 HP 8/8 Energy

Lesser Yeti: 53/75 HP

ID# 67475 results:

Battle: 10

Craft: 2

Loot: 19

Mob: 10

Edited by Arc

Birdie froze at Arc's hushed warning, her fingers wrapping tightly around the hilt of Retaliation. As the environment around them began to regress into a violent state she could only stand idly by, anticipating the delayed attack let loose by the Yeti. "What's goin~ oof!" Birdie slipped onto her back as the ground shook violently, having only stood on the edge of the seismic activity. Lifting her head up, she gazed in horror as Arc was ejected high into the air.

She could only stare as his body dropped towards the ground, travelling dangerously close to the abomination. Something about his descent wasn't right, she thought, unable to look away as Arc converted the potential energy into a powerful swing that took a great chunk from the white beast's health reserve. "W.. wow.." Tiny fragments leaked out from the beast's wounds, a sight she was all too pleasured too see as they now knew it was possible to do some damage.

Right as Arc looked over to the woman, the corners of her lips turned up into a smile. "You were incredible!" Her words were brief, seeing that the beast's gaze now rested on Arc instead of the Phoenix. She wouldn't have any trouble slashing away at the Yeti without risking damage thanks to the hate mechanic, and she joined the man's side in light of her ensured safety. "L-listen, if you keep it distracted, I can try hitting it from the side." Birdie's gaze briefly rested on Arc as she spoke, switching to the Yeti a few times to ensure it wasn't coming any closer. "Please keep it mad at you!" She realised how demanding and selfish her words sounded afterwards but there wasn't any time to correct them, and she ran off to circle around to the other side of their assailant.

When lives were at stake, the girl wore a completely different persona. Birdie's reclusive nature disappeared in the wake of battle, replaced entirely by a surge of confidence that ran truly through her veins. Her timid demeanour faded as she lined up with the beast's right side, planting her foot deep into the snow that gradually ground her to a halt. One arm extended forward whilst the other holding her weapon drew back, the tip of Retaliation glowing a purple hue that soon engulfed the length of the blade. "Coming through!" No sooner than her sword art activated did she burst into a sprint for the Yeti's abdomen, her blade slashing twice through the beast's thick skin to create a V-shaped incision as she passed by in the blink of an eye. She halted metres away from the beast, lunged forward from the stance she'd taken for her attack. She looked to the wound and then to Arc, her grin shining brightly through the murky storm of snow.

The beast hadn't taken kindly to their attacks, recovering from the deep laceration as it mindlessly charged for Arc. "W-watch out!"

Spoiler

ID# 67481 | BD: 6

Arc: 133/140 HP 13/14 Energy (2 Hate)

Birdie: 80/80 HP 6/8 Energy (1 Hate)

Lesser Yeti: 43/75 HP

Edited by Birdie

"Grk!" A pained sound left his lips as the impact revoked his breath and sent him staggering backward. The Yeti tracked his movements for long enough to perceive a proper vector of attack, and the punch took the mercenary square in the abdomen. That one would've hurt if it'd been for real.

He rubbed absently at the point of contact for a moment as he ensured that his body was between the beast and Birdie- it didn't really matter to Arc if he lost a few HP, so long as the thing couldn't get to one of his allies. As not-built for tanking as he was, Arc was still able to handle a beating in a pinch. He readied his blade again, unfazed by the beast's rally and apparent urge to inflict pain. "As long as it keeps its eyes on me," he muttered to himself. "Hey!" he called back to Birdie behind him. If he had heard her seemingly selfish words, it didn't show in his demeanor. "Make sure you fall back a bit. This thing is liable to target you if you get too far ahead of me in the damage score." His last attack had missed the mark. Rather, it had never happened due to the shock of the creature figuring out how he was moving.

That just meant Tobias had to switch things up a bit. Fine. You wanna play hardball, let's do this.

"Nice hit!" he called over to her as she passed the creature by and left with a good chunk of its health. "You're pretty good at this too, aren't ya?"

His praise was short lived as the beast let out a mighty roar. "Wuh oh," he gasped a bit as his feet picked up the pace to re-position himself in the line of fire. Gotta watch that. Battles are more active here, and where you're standing matters. If she fights from that close, she might get targeted. Can't let that happen.

"Stay on guard," he told her thought gritting teeth. "This thing is like to get more hostile as its health drops. We don't know if it'll start getting unpredictable when that happens, so we ought to err on the side of caution."

Arc: 131/140 HP 11/14 Energy (3 Hate)

Birdie: 80/80 HP 8/8 Energy (1 Hate)

Lesser Yeti: 43/75 HP

ID# 67482 results:

Battle: 4

Craft: 2

Loot: 8

MOB: 8

Edited by Arc