[SP-F6] Me, Myself and I <<The Gemini>> (Complete)

"So much for organised fight," she quipped under her breath, her eyes filled with sorrow for how poor of a condition the Gemini was in. When she saw it, she thought of herself being in a situation like that; battered and bruised, desperate to win a fight to preserve her own life. Birdie's goal for the duration of the game was to survive by any means necessary - at least, that was her initial line of thinking when she found herself trapped.

As she met more people and learned more about Aincrad, she found herself wanting to contribute to the overall fight. The only way to escape the game was to fight through each floor and reach the final boss, where one last obstacle would stand between the players' and their freedom. Now, stood before a beaten-up version of her own self, she realised just how weak she currently was. There wasn't a chance in hell she could contribute meaningfully to the Frontlines, not in this state.

Spoiler

ID# 67445 | BD: 1 | CD: 1 | LD: 7 | MB: 2 (5-3)

Birdie: [64/80 HP] [0/7 Energy] [5 Damage] [3 EVA] [0 MIT] [+1 EN on CD 6+]

Attack missed.

The Gemini: [13/80 HP] [2 Damage]

Attack missed

Edited by Birdie

The woman couldn't bare to look at it anymore, the mere sight of it induced a painful sense of worthlessness within. She lifted her blade, trembling as her feet carried her closer to the Gemini. Its movements were sluggish, fast enough to dodge any misplaced attacks yet still too careless to dash away from her speedy attack. Her rapier pierced through the shoulder of the monster, its eyes widening before unleashing a harrowing cry of pain. '10%, so close!' She pulled her blade away and backed up a few steps, waiting to see if the mob had anything to see.

".. I'm on my last legs, it seems.." The Gemini at least admitted it, the woman thought, and she listened on. "To admit defeat is for the weak.. you wouldn't happen to possess the desire to surrender now, would you?" A smug smile took shape on its lips, though it wouldn't last for long.

Spoiler

ID# 67446 | BD: 7 | CD: 4 | LD: 4 | MB: 2 (5-3)

5 damage dealt.

The Gemini: [8/80 HP] [2 Damage]

Attack missed

Edited by Birdie

"I'm afraid not," she replied, her expression remaining as flat as before. She couldn't draw any fun from this battle, now that it dawned on her how symbolic the entire fight was. There was so much she could make of it; perhaps the game was trying to tell her to always improve her skills, lest she end up like the crippled mess standing before her? Whatever the case, she could rest easy knowing that she wasn't going to perish that day. The only thing left to do was put the nail in Gemini's coffin, ending the misery it brought along.

She stepped closer to, holding Retaliation down to her side. There wasn't much sense in staying on high-alert, the monster was too weak to do any meaningful damage to her. "This is a cruel quest.. what if a child accepts it.."

"What makes you think one hasn't done so?" The Gemini's expression contorted into a sinister grin.

Spoiler

ID# 67447 | BD: 3 | CD: 10 | LD: 20 | MB: 1 (2-3)

Birdie: [64/80 HP] [1/7 Energy] [5 Damage] [3 EVA] [0 MIT] [+1 EN on CD 6+]

Attack missed.

Attack missed

Edited by Birdie

She didn't react to Gemini's taunts. there wasn't any point in getting upset over the words of an enemy, especially one in such a weak condition. Her blade hovered over the body of her foe, hesitant to deliver the final blow. 'I-I can't finish it.. not like this.' The girl stepped away from it, allowing the thing some room to recover. "Please just stand up, it.. it feels wrong to end it like this.."

"Like you're murdering another weak, helpless human in cold blood?" The Gemini hissed at her, crawling to its knees before standing up on its feet. "Such cowardice.. pathetic."

"It's not cowardly, i-it's just.. you wouldn't understand." There was no point in making conversation with it any more, the girl realised. She waited for the Gemini to draw its blade once more, following suit herself shortly after. Birdie stared into the Gemini's lifeless, cold eyes, completely unfitting of the smug smirk spread across its face. 'I don't think anybody could..'

Spoiler

ID# 67448 | BD: 1 | CD: 4 | LD: 6 | MB: 1 (2-3)

Attack missed.

Attack missed.

Edited by Birdie

The Gemini stood there, a husk of its former self. The only thing that remained was its unsettling smile, unwavering no matter the circumstances. "This was a mistake coming out here..." she muttered in self-pity, her eyes hanging low. Birdie shook her head to knock some sense back into her, her eyebrows pulling inwards as her blade rose to the Gemini once more. "Sorry about this," she told it sincerely, her mouth letting loose a trembled gasp before she sprinted to make an attack. 'One attack should kill it, please.. stop tormenting me..'

Retaliation's blade sunk deep into the shoulder of the trickster's shoulder, small digital fragments spewing out from where the rapier had pierced its skin. Her eyes wandered to enemy's health bar, desperately hoping her attempt had been enough.

'... 2 health points?!' The girl grit her teeth, '2 points of damage away from killing it! How!' She threw her blade back in frustration, looking at her energy gauge in the corner of her HUD. 'I can't make another attack... ugh..' 

Spoiler

ID# 67466 | BD: 9 | CD: 3 | LD: 16 | MB: 4 (7-3)

5(+1) damage dealt.

The Gemini: [2/80 HP] [2 Damage]

Attack missed.

Edited by Birdie

At this point, the girl's original intentions for coming out here were all but forgotten. Was it to gather materials? That sounded right. The fight had lasted longer than she cared to remember, and she could feel her legs giving out beneath her. Of course there wasn't any real feeling of fatigue, only a simulation with very limited properties. She just didn't possess the mental willpower to keep on going past this point.

The Gemini was completely still, eerily so. Cuts and open wounds lined its torso and arms, and the hole in its shoulder were Retaliation had pierced straight through had barely started to close up. The thing was incredibly close to death, why couldn't she bring herself to kill it? Glancing to her energy gauge, she noted the tiny amount that she had left; it would almost certainly be enough.

"Well?" The Gemini asked, "Are you just going to stand there? Or are will you actually kill me?"

Spoiler

ID# 67468 | BD: 4 | CD: 8 | LD: 9 | MB: 3 (3-3)

Attack missed.

Attack missed.

Edited by Birdie

"I just- I need a moment, alright?" Birdie shunned the Gemini, wrapping her fingers around the hilt of her blade for what she hoped would be the final time. She didn't bother to apologise this time, she was done apologising. She was done with everything - the fight, the monster, this floor. The materials she'd sought to find weren't worth the misery this duel had caused her, if you could even call it that. The promise of a challenge had soon crumbled to dust, leaving her in a situation where she could so easily dispatch of her foe in one lunge.

Her blade was aimed towards the Gemini, lining up with the middle of its torso. That's where she'd strike it. Before she could do so though, she needed to say one final thing. "Listen, don't talk back, I just.. I need to say this you, or me, or - whatever." She took a deep breath in order to calm her nerves a little, staring straight into the impersonator's eyes. "I'm not going to be weak, not for long. I'll learn how to defend myself,  regardless of the risks. I can't ever see myself again like this.."

Spoiler

ID# 67470 | BD: 1 (KILL ME) | CD: 10 | LD: 19 | MB: 6 (3-3)

Nothing happens, like usual. It's on two HP, just HIT THE THING.

Attack missed.

Edited by Birdie

The girl drove her blade through the heart of the Gemini, piercing through its digital muscle and skin. She watched as the enemy's health bar dropped to zero, following by the humanoid shattering into thousands of digital shards and disappear into thin air.

"It's over.." she stated, her eyes pulling up from the ground as the victory window popped up. The rewards were certainly plentiful: a whole bunch of SP and even a new skill, should she choose to put her hard-earned points into it. Birdie hit the accept button and watched as she progressed a few levels, even unlocking a new skill slot in the process. The win was bittersweet, but she'd have a lot to think about on her way back to the first floor. Was she cut out to reach the Frontlines? What challenges would she encounter along the way? There's one thing she knew for sure; she'd never be the one curled up on the floor, praying for her life.

Spoiler

ID# 67473 | BD: 8 | CD: 5 | LD: 13 | MB: 5 (8-3)

5 damage dealt.

The Gemini: [0/80 HP] [2 Damage]

Dead.

Thread completed

Birdie: +4 SP (+3 quest, +1 page), +400 Col, Concentration skill unlocked.

Edited by Birdie