The Traveller

Esther figured that Arc wouldn't take her hand. Still, after their talk yesterday she thought maybe, just maybe he was opening up to her, and she was finally getting through that thick crusty layer, but now - it seemed that they were right back where they started. Esther felt a little disappointed, she wanted to befriend Arc - she wanted to see him smile, and to know that he had just one friend within Aincrad, even if that friend were to be forgotten when they all finally escaped. The woman sighed, pulling her hand away from him.

"Right."

Back to minimal conversation, back to a feeling of a knotted stomach. Esther stepped out past the rocks. A part of her wanted to joke with Arc, to say 'of course the sand is hiding something, that's the quest' but once again, she was back to keeping her mouth firmly shut. She'd rather not have him walk out on her so far into the quest, and leave her in the middle of the desert alone. 

Stepping forward, Esther turned back to ask Arc what their next course of action would be, but her foot kicked something hard, and she tripped falling face first into the sand.

-Loot Discovered-

ID67673
CD 10
Arc: 160/160 HP
Esther: 100/100 HP

Edited by Esther

Arc watched her fall with a blank expression on her face. Uh. Right. "What are you doing?" he asked as she flinched and sputtered in the sands. "Wait, what's that?"

The mercenary took a step forward and crouched next to what Esther had stumbled over, and he reached down to inspect it.

You have found "lost cargo!'

Tobias laughed aloud. "Oh wow, looks like you found it, Esther." He took a step toward the woman and took her gently by the midsection, lifting her up slowly. "Imagine that." Once she was up enough to get to her own feet, he let her go and moved backward, away from the girl. No use getting her all riled up by touching her without permission, even if it had been done on reflex.

"Now we can get back to the town," he said absently. He thought of sleep, and of the frontlines beyond. They would have to wait.

"Congratulations," he added.

Arc: 160/160 HP

ID# 67674 CD: 11

"I decided to make sand angels." Esther replied with mild sarcasm when Arc asked her what she was doing when she fell. She wasn't hurt or bothered by the comment, her sarcastic reply just slipped out. So much for trying to refrain from too much conversation. Her attention was quickly diverted when Arc asked what it was she tripped on. He then began to laugh. A sound that warmed Esther to the core - now THAT'S an Arc I like to see she mused to herself. The man quickly helped her up, and Esther all too readily accepted his help before dusting herself off.

"I guess that's one way to look for lost loot." She said with a laugh. Of course, Arc was all business - quickly stating they should go back to the town. Esther gave a nod. "mm, yeh." She glanced over him, feeling concerned. "You haven't slept right? The sooner we head back, the sooner I can pay you, and you can go sleep for the night." She dusted her hands and gave a definitive nod toward him. 

"Let's not dilly dally then."

Arc: 160/160 HP

Esther: 100/100 HP

ID# 67679 CD: 8

Edited by Esther

"The night, she says," Arc commented with a laugh. "Don't you mean the day? Morning? Something?" He pointed toward the sky, bright and hazy orange and yellow in the storm. "You slept right through all this mess, you know. Must be a screw loose somewhere." The mercenary gave a laugh and shook his head, then took the lead. "Despite all that, we made it through the quest."

As they went along the path back toward the town, Arc glanced back at her. "You're gonna get some SP out of this," he told her. "You ought to decide what to spend it on. Have you thought about armor skills, or things to help keep you alive? That might be a good way to go, since you're so adamant about not using a weapon." Concern did not leak into his voice, but Esther might glean something from his words. Still, he continued. "Coupled with some good gear, you might stand a chance of fighting on the Frontlines at some point."

After several brutal fits of wind and sandy blasts, Arc started to see the outline of the floor's largest settlement. So they hadn't gotten too far, after all.

"Well, that's reassuring," he muttered.

Arc: 150/160 HP

ID# 67681 CD: 1

Esther shrugged her shoulders, when he quipped that she must have a screw loose somewhere. "Mmm, we've been friends for how long, ad you're only just figuring that out?" She knew there was a decent chance he'd either ignore her comment on their friendship, or correct her - but Esther was in too good spirits to care. He joked about the time of day, and that rather than waiting for nightfall, he was going to go sleep as soon as humanly possible. Esther followed as Arc took the lead. 

"I know what I'm spending it on." Esther said proudly, although her answer may disappoint him. "Search and Detecting, then, healing. I'll be able to find and see things others can't, and I'll be able to heal not only myself but those around me." He mentioned the gear, and Esther agreed- she did need more of something. "Mmm, yes - but the few shops I have been to were more or less empty. I think there's a quest for armor, I might take that."

The two headed into town, and turned in the quest. The woman breathed a sigh of relief, having the notification 'Quest Complete' pop up. That was another two points she could add to her bank...library... character...whatever it is they called it in this game. 

Esther turned to Arc, "Right, Mr Mercenary - how much do I owe you?"

"Mmmm, 500 Col," he replied with a smirk. "I'll shoot you a discount since I got some SP out of the deal myself. Call that a fair trade, I say."

He glanced toward his active notifications and noticed that he had gained an Extra Skill. "Huh," he blinked as he brought it up on the HUD. "Survival? Let's see..." Tobias read the words and his lips broke into a smile. "Now that'll be really useful," he muttered. "Hey, Esther, check your skills." He pointed to the window where he was reading and showed her the good news. "Looks like we'll be able to ignore strange weather patterns with this one. And it gives you more health when you're not in combat. That's great."

After the quest was turned in and things were finished, Arc resolved to find the nearest Inn and stay the night. Things couldn't get any better than that. Another quest down, and a new skill to boot. Tobias felt unstoppable.

Esther set up the transfer, and sent him the 500 Col he asked for. Considering Arc quoted a good 1,000 before they started - she was thankful for the discount. "What are friends for, if not giving each other discounts, eh?" Esther retorted with her own amused smirk. Despite the cost, she was glad she was able to do this quest with Arc. She felt she got a little more insight into who he was, and learnt how to navigate her social interaction with him a little better. 

"Survival...." Esther asked, stepping in next to him to look at the skill. "So, if there are blizzards or sandstorms we won't take damage from them....right." She looked up at him with a warm smile, "That's pretty useful. Too bad it can't also climatise everything, ah...one can dream though." She mused to herself. Esther wasn't a big fan of the heat - it was bearable, but she would avoid going out into the desert wherever possible. 

Esther waved Arc off as he headed toward the nearest in. "Rest well Tobias. You Deserve it." She said softly to herself.