SP-F4: "Feeding the Enemy: Captured!"

Esther sat in a small inn on the 2nd floor. She was enjoying a nice cup of herbal tea, everything had been so hectic lately, and she needed some alone time. A lot had happened, and she felt like she needed to re-evaluate a few choices she has made since joining SAO. Everyone kept telling her she was too trusting, and her trusting nature had gotten her in trouble in more than one occasion. A frown graced her lips as she recalled how worried Lycan was when she drank that cherry flavoured potion, how he had reacted when he saw the chain dangling from her neck. That was the day she learnt that Alchemy could be a very wonderful profession, or a very dark one.

Then there was the incidents with Arc, Mari and Domarus - things had gotten a little out of hand, but Mari was there to smooth things over and to talk things through with Esther. Esther was beyond appreciative. Time and time again, Mari showed that she did actually care about those around her, even if she struggled to show it with kind words or a smile. She’d have to show Mari some form of thank you in the future.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Esther took another sip, an old lady approached her, she was dressed like a gypsy and was out of place for the area. Esther tilted her head, was this lady an NPC? She glanced around, none of the other players had taken notice of her, and if they had - they had chosen to ignore her, or she didn’t bother them at all. The woman cleared her throat, “Miss, did you know that if you feed some of the monsters roaming around you can tame them?” Esther blinked, this sounded somewhat familiar. Didn’t Lowenthal mention something like this? Esther played along.

“Oh...uhm...yes? I mean...No...tell me more? Crap...how do you interact with NPCs…” She muttered, hoping her answers were not to confusing.

The old woman gave a sagely nod as she reached into her pocket. “Only the brave dare seek out such beasts to call them their own.” She pulled out a small bag of what looked like pellets and handed them to Esther. “May you find mans best friend.”

And with that, she hobbled away. Esther just stared at the NPC's back, a little confused.

Another hooded figure took a sip from a near empty pint glass, watching Esther from afar. Lifting up their hand they seemed to quicklly type an unknown message to an unknown recipient.

As Esther took another sip, an old lady approached her, she was dressed like a gypsy and was out of place for the area. Esther tilted her head, was this lady an NPC? She glanced around, none of the other players had taken notice of her, and if they had - they had chosen to ignore her, or she didn’t bother them at all. The woman cleared her throat, “Miss, did you know that if you feed some of the monsters roaming around you can tame them?” Esther blinked, this sounded somewhat familiar. Didn’t Lowenthal mention something like this? Esther played along.

“Oh...uhm...yes? I mean...No...tell me more? Crap...how do you interact with NPCs…” She muttered, hoping her answers were not to confusing.

The old woman gave a sagely nod as she reached into her pocket. “Only the brave dare seek out such beasts to call them their own.” She pulled out a small bag of what looked like pellets and handed them to Esther. “May you find mans best friend.”

And with that, she hobbled away. Esther just stared at the NPC's back, a little confused.

Another hooded figure took a sip from a near empty pint glass, watching Esther from afar. Lifting up their hand they seemed to quicklly type an unknown message to an unknown recipient.

Esther blinked, going over the quest requirements. Finally! A quest that Esther would be good at! A quest she could do all on her own. A quest that didn’t involve fighting monsters or gathering materials. Lowenthal had mentioned familiars to her, and it piqued her interest. Esther loved the idea of having a small, fluffy pet to follow her around. She always wanted a small dog or a cat, heck - she’d be happy with a bird, but her father's apartment didn’t allow pets.

So to have something like that in the game? That was nothing short of exciting, and amazing. Esther wanted to invite Lowenthal along, since he was the one to suggest it to her, but at the same time. Esther wanted to prove to herself that she could do this, she could do this on her own. No Mari. No Lycan. No Arc. Just Esther. “I’ll show them all!” She said excitedly to herself. Esther delighted at how they’d all react when she waltzed in with a pet of her very own.

The figure, who had been seemingly watching Esther this entire time was joined by another hooded player. “That the girl?” The seated figure asked. The one who joined removed his hood, revealing ashen blonde hair. His eyes narrowed as he saw the very girl who had caused him ire twice. “Yeh.” Addel muttered. “That’s her. The one that Lycan’s been seen with.”

“Is it his girlfriend?” Asked the hooded figure, finishing off his beer.

“Think so. If not, close enough to deal some serious damage.” Addel gave a lop sided grin. “Though I think that specailty lies with you, eh Dekkar?” Dekar shrugged, “Depends - what you want done with her.”

Addel’s grin widened, almost predatory in a way. “Ohh, do I have plans.”

Esther had accepted the quest, but now, she had another issue. Just what kind of pet did she want? Something small, cute, and fluffy...that was a given. It'd be useful if she could have it ride around on her person too. Something like a cat or a dog came to mind, but Esther felt that she wanted something a little more exciting. She was in a game after all, so why go for something as pedestrian as a domestic animal? Esther stood, carefully pushing her chair in. She recalled Ariel's white lion, and the gorgeous snowy terrain of the fourth floor. Wouldn't some sort of snowy or arctic pet be simply amazing? "Right! 4th floor it is!" Esther exclaimed, giddy with excitement as she headed out the pub.

Two minutes passed, before Addel and Dekkar followed suit, silently leaving the establishment. "She seems innocent enough. Almost stupidly so. You said she just drank your 'bursting heat' potion without question?" Dekkar asked, as they followed Esther at a safe distance. Addel shrugged, "Yeh. Dumb b**tch just took it. Was hilarious. Even funnier to see Lycan's reaction, little disappointed. She's a bit of a looker, almost had her strippin' in front of everyone." Dekkar laughed, giving Addel a slap on the back. "The day's still young, brother - but I gotta ask." He pointed to the thin chain that dangled around Esther's neck. "That your doin'? I know you got a thing for that." Addel shook his head. "Just a gratuitous coincidence."

Esther knew exactly what floor she wanted to get her familiar from, having a gorgeous white winter coat - it would be a wonderful contrast to the black and grim of the players around her. Esther hummed happily to herself as she double checked her inventory. The item she had been given from the NPC was titled <<Familiar Feed>> All she had to do, was find a creature she wanted to tame, and try to feed it. If successful - she'd be able to tame it. Her eyes widened, as she read the description. If she was lucky, the familiar would also have stat enhancing abilities. "I can....have one to help me find stuff?" She asked herself, pausing in her step. "I could help them..." She muttered. Esther wasn't planning on becoming a fighter - so she wanted to create a build based on finding valuable items, and healing. 

"So If I want a familiar that can do that...." Esther began, "Then I'd want something sleek, and agile...right?"

She stepped onto the teleport pad, giving herself a nod. She had everything she needed. It was time to get going. "Floor 4!" And with that she was whisked away.

Addell and Dekkar weren't far off, still tailing Esther. Dekkar cleared his throat, finally removing his hood to reveal a messy toussle of chocolate brown hair and stark green eyes. "So, ya want me to go in after her and play the friendly helper, then - when I'm given the signal, give her this?" He held up a vial filled with a small, pale pink liquid. Addel took the vial, not being very familiar with it. he inspected it. "Ahh... a temporary paralysis potion - no flavor. Yeh that sounds like it'd work. I don't think she'd be stupid enough to drink a potion from a stranger again, so maybe shove it in a hot drink." Dekkar nodded, giving Addel a salute as he stepped onto the teleportation pad. "No worries brother. See you soon." WIth that, Dekkar too was whisked away, followed shortly after by Addel. 

As Esther stepped onto the 4th Floor she shivered. "Brrr..."  She forgot how cold it was here. Having only been once before with Mari - and at that time she had borrowed the unique item Mari held, which completely sheltered Esther from the cool atmosphere. Esther gave her head a small shake of determination, stepping forward. "No time like the present." 

"Excuse me, miss?" Esther turned around to see a brown headed youth approach her. He wore a dark cloak - but it looked thick, and warm. The man smiled. "Hi there, I'm Dekkar. Don't mean to intrude, but I can't help but notice....." His eyes glanced up and down her form - a tight fitting chest piece, bare arms, legs and thighs..."You don't seem like you're dressed for this floor. I was about to go do some material gathering, if you care to join me for some company - I'd gladly lend you one of my cloaks."

Esther smiled, the man seemed nice enough. He held a friendly smile, and didn't appear to have any dangerous armor or weapons attached to his form. "Sure." Esther shook his hand, "My name is Esther. I'd be glad to have some company. I'm looking for a familiar myself, so it'd be nice to talk to someone familiar with this floor."

Dekkar grinned a mischievous grin. "Oh Esther I know many things." Addel was right, it was ridiculously easy, the girl trusted him without a moments hesitation. Leading her far away from the town would be easy. Feeding her the potion would be easy. Then, there would be the fun parts. The best part of being an Alchemist within the game. He'd enjoy picking apart her naive brain, crushing her innocence - turning her into naught but a former shell of her vibrant self. Then there was Addel, he'd no doubt enjoy the more physical assets Esther had to share. Dekkar could appreciate the sentiment. He just didn't swing that way. 

Dekkar placed a hand on the mid of Esthers back, his smile masking the heinous intentions. "Sounds like a plan, Miss Esther. Shall we get going?"

"Oh! Yes.... let's!" Esther said with a smile, feeling herself being lead toward the town exit. She rubbed her arms, turning to Dekkar, "Although - I could use that coat sooner rather than later....eheheh, that is - if its not too much trouble."

Dekkar waved her off dismissively, "No trouble at all, Miss Mari." With a few quick hand gestures - he pulled out a spare coat, and handed it to Esther. Dekkar watched as she draped it around her small frame, finding it incredibly amusing that she was wearing the very garb of the Black Adder Guild. The people who she was about to have a very unfortunate run-in with. Dekkar wasn't sure what she did to piss off Addel, but the underground guild stuck together, and if she was an enemy of his - she was an enemy to all. "Looks good on you, you should wear black more often, Esther."

Esther laughed in response - "You think?" She glanced down at herself, "Mmm...Everyone seems to wear black though. It's a little depressing if you ask me. I prefer my lighter colors." She glanced up at Dekkar, who was giving her a quizzical look. Esther realized that she may have just insulted her new companion. "Oh! I mean...black looks really dashing on you." She turned her attention toward the snowy plains, as they finally stepped out of the city limits. "I know a few people it looks quite good on. I just feel like I'll be the stubborn splash of color in a sea of black....Anyway..." She turned back to Dekkar. "What sort of Materials are you looking for? Gems? Herbs? Food?"

Dekkar smiled warmly on the outside, but on the inside - he was frustrated. It seemed as though Esther couldn't leave a moment of silence between the two. It was just question after question, after question. "I'm an Alchemist." Dekkar said. Nearly all the players in Black Adder were Alchemists who dealt with underground potions. Potions that poisoned the mind, dulled the senses- gave false memories, implanted suggestions. If it was profitable - the Black Adder would do it. Dekkar ignored her comments on his attire. He didn't give a damn. He wondered exactly how long he would have to put up with this facade. 

"An Alchemist! Oh wow! I am too!" Esther announced, purely amazed that she met yet another Alchemist, "Do you know Lycan? He's a good friend of mine - he  helped me gain my profession. I don't have a shop yet though. I plan on making healing potions - and things that make people happy."

Dekkar gave Esther a quizzical look, this girl was nuts. It also appeared that Lycan wasn't her boyfriend after all, but for her to talk about him with such familiarity. It was bound to work well. "No, can't say I know him. So...Esther...you mentioned you were looking for a familiar? What are you thinking of going for?"

Esther furrowed her  brows in deep thought when Dekkar asked her what kind of familiar she would be looking for. "You see..." She scratched the back of her head, offering the man an awkward laugh. "I haven't really given it much thought beyond that. I know that a lot of white creatures roam the snowy fields, what to blend in and all that. I thought maybe a snowy owl...I don't exactly what a lion or  big cat, since Ariel already has one of those...or maybe an Ermine..." She paused, noticing Dekkar still giving her a quizzical look. "Ah... you know... those little weasel like things, stouts I think they're called. If I want something that can focus on material gathering, something sleek like that would be cute, and useful don't you think?"

Dekkar shrugged in return, gesturing lazily ahead, "Yeh, I see those things, little further up. The material I need is actually pretty close to their nesting ground. So I suppose that works well for both of us." Dekkar offered Esther a smile, reaching out to place a large hand upon her head, he leaned forward - whispering in a mischevious tone. "Ahh, aren't you lucky you ran into me? What would you do if I weren't here, eh?"

Esther laughed in response, waving his hand away. Completely missing the sinister undertones his voice carried. "Aha...probably wander the floor for a few hours, till it got too cold. Then I'd probably call it a day and return to a nice, warm cabin."

Dekkar scratched the stubble on his chin. "Aye, sounds like you live a rather simple, innocent life Miss Esther." Dekkar quickened his pace, he needed to lead her further away from the town, and from prying eyes. If she were to alert any nearby players, it'd become a big issue.

"Whoa!" Esther quickened her pace, Dekkar was much taller than she, almost as tall as Domarus, so his long, steady strides were equal to her speed-walking. "Are you in a rush?" Esther asked. Dekkar didn't reply, he gave her a sideward glance and lifted his shoulders in a slight shrug. Esther turned her attention forward, there was no use in trying to push the matter. Most people just weren't as talkative as she was. 

"Ah!"

They approached the treeline that had dotted the horizon, now begining to trek into the outskirts of a snowy pine forest. Esther clasped her hands over her chest, taking a deep breath. "Ahh... The air smells wonderfully fragrant here, almost like Christmas don't you think? All it's really missing is some hot cocoa."

Dekkar gave a loud, audible 'Ha!' silencing the nearby wildlife, and scattering the others that dared seek shelter from the two intruders. "Yes. I'm sure a hot drink would be perfect. I'll tell you what, Miss Esther. In a short while, we can take a break, and enjoy a glass together. I have a thermos of it in my inventory. Can't stray too far on this floor without the comfort of a hot drink after all now, can we?" He asked her. It was almost too easy, as though Esther was setting herself up. Innocently charging straight into a trap.

Such an innocent, naive fool. 

LD: 68240  LD: 20 +3 = 23

"So uhm...Dekkar, what sort of materials are you going to gather?" Esther asked, trying to pick up the conversation again. The two were now just entering the forest, the trees shielded them from the suns rays, and the bitter breeze that blew across the floor. Dekkar lightly grabbed Esther's arm. "Here, I'll show you." He lead her deeper into the forest, until they reached a patch of mushrooms that looked as though they were made of glass, or a fine crystal.

"Oh wow!" Esther mused. Rushing up to them. "They look so beautiful, like little handcrafted sculptures. These are the ingredients you were looking for?"  

Dekkar gave a nod, casually strolling up and kneeling next to her. "Yeh. They are pretty potent." He picked one up with finesse, quickly pocketing it. "They increase the effects of whatever potion you're making. So essentially, giving them a strength boost."  He glanced up to Esther, frowning, she had shifted incredibly close to him. Leaning over his shoulder. "Personal space, Miss Esther."

"Oh! Oh...yeh...yeh sorry Dekkar." Esther said, she turned to the mushrooms, surely she could use these to help people too? She picked up a mushroom, and grinned. She really was getting better and better at this. Soon, she'd be a material hunting master.

Edited by Esther

ID: 68241 LD: 18 + 4 = 22

"I think these would be great, all I wanna do is help people, yanno?" Esther said, plucking another mushroom with just as much finesse as Dekkar. She didn't see the glare he shot her, seemingly annoyed at how easily she was picking up the materials. Esther turned to look at Dekkar, who had shifted to a forced smile. "See... I had some bad experiences with negative potions...from some guy named Addel, and from Mari - too many people are making all these devious negative potions. I just want to make something nice, something that can make the opposite effect to all that negativity."

Dekkar scratched his chin. "Mari eh?" He knew of her, she was one of the pioneers to mind altering potions. She was offered a high position within the Black Adder guild, but had turned it down. Calling them all immoral, twisted freaks. Like she was one to talk. Rumor has it that she killed her own daughter. 

"Didn't you come here to hunt for familiars, not materials, Miss Esther?" Dekkar asked, standing. "I'll show you where those animals you are looking for are, should be in the next clearing. Let's go."

"Right!" Esther said, standing and following.

Edited by Esther

Dekkar lead Esther into a nearby clearing, and sure enough - there were a few ermines playfully running around and chasing each other. Dekkar signalled for Esther to be quiet. She looked as though she was about to burst. Whispering in utter delight. "Ahhhh...look at them, they're so cute." Esther crouched down. "And their little fangs! Awww... who are my little carnivores?" She asked, inching closer on her knees. She would try to get close, then wait - and finally, place food out and hope that one of them would eat. 

"This will work...." Esther whispered, if she did this, maybe - just maybe she would be able to get back into the good graces of her friends. She wanted to make sure everything would be ok. To fix whatever she did wrong.

Meanwhile, Dekkar seemed impatient, checking his mail, nil. He glanced at the clock. Surely, Addel would want them to act soon. He knew Dekkar had a short fuse, and wouldn't be able to keep up this cherade forever. 

Esther shifted to her stomach, inching closer and closer to the ermines. One was alerted to her presence and froze. Esther froze too. The fluffy animal stood on its hind legs, sniffing the air, beady black eyes on the woman who had just encroached on its home turf. Esther gave it a smile, but didn't move, she dare not breathe if she could help it. She wasn't entirely sure if they would flee at the slightest movement, or if they would jump and attack her, biting her mercilessly. Esther contemplated if the later would be better - if they were biting her maybe she'd at least be able to get one of them to eat afterward, but if they ran. They'd be gone forever.

Meanwhile, Dekkar watched - less than amused. His hands crossed over his chest. Still, waiting for the signal, he knew Addel was nearby, no doubt watching too. Dekkar made a mental note to force Addel to make it up to him later. He didn't sign up for something like this, this was taking far too long for his liking.

Edited by Esther

ID:68243  LD: 5

One of the ermines chanced a few more steps closer to Esther. Esther's eyes lit up, she bit her lower lip. This is it! This is it! She carefully, slowly pulled out the familiar feed from the leather pouch she wore around her waist. Keeping her eyes on the curious stout, Esther reached out to it, palm open. "It's ok lil' guy..." She cooed, "I don't want to hurt you. I just want to be your friend. To feed you and take care of you and look after you."

Just as the ermine was about to eat from her hand, Dekkar exclaimed. "FINALLY."

The creatures scattered, Esther stood, turning to face Dekkar, clearly frustrated. "What was that for! I almost had it!" She moaned. He was the one that insisted she were to be quiet, and yet he was the one who had ruined it.

Dekkar grinned, his exclamation wasn't without reason. "I'm sorry, I just got an important message I was waiting for." He pointed to the log behind Esther, "Why don't you go take a seat, I'll pour us some hot chocolate to apologise."

Edited by Esther

Esther felt incredibly frustrated, and annoyed. She didn't want to go sit down for a hot drink - she wanted to continue looking. She wanted to get a familiar, she wanted to show everyone she wasn't pathetic. Still...it was clear he was trying to apologise for his earlier outburst. Esther sighed heavily, reaching up and running a hand through her hair, pushing it back behind her ears. "Yeh...sorry...I'm just frustrated, there's a lot going on right now." She turned her back to Dekkar, to head toward the log.

Dekkar grinned. It was easy, far too easy. He grabbed the thermos of hot chocolate out of his inventory, along with the paralysis potion. He poured it into the thermos whilst the girls back was turned. He headed over to Esther. "Well, Miss Esther. You have every right to be frustrated." He sat down on the log next to her and handed her a cup. "I did ruin your expedition. I hope this more than makes up for it." He poured her a drink. 

Esther watched the silky brown liquid fall into the cup, the sickly sweet smell reached her nostrils, and her hands soaked up the warmth from the cup. "Ahh.... Thank you so much Dekkar."  She didn't hesitate to bring the cup to her lips. Taking long, deep mouthfuls. 

Esther leaned back, "Ah, that really hit the spot. Thanks Dekkar." she glanced at him, he was now standing - pouring the rest of the thermos out onto the snow. "W-what?" Why would you do that?" She asked, confused. It didn't make sense to her for someone to just throw out a perfectly good drink.

"You See, Miss Esther. I'd rather not poison myself." He turned to look at her, his eyes no longer shining with the false warmth they held earlier. His mouth in a thin, wry line of boredom. His matter-of-fact tone uncaring. "Frankly, I'm surprised you're stupid enough to accept such a thing from a stranger. You're too trusting Miss Esther." He dropped the thermos, and it shattered as it hit the ground. "I suppose I can fix that though. Now..." He took a few steps toward Esther, kneeling in front of her. He pryed the cup from her hands and tossed it unceremoniously over his shoulder.

"Should be kicking in just about now - would you like to do the honors...Addel?" Dekkar asked, his eyes rising up to glance at a figure behind Esther.

P...poison

Esther glanced down at the hot chocolate that she had so willingly drank. It wasn't....was it....? It had tasted perfectly normal. Why was this happening to her again? Her brows furrowed, she didn't understand it. What did she do wrong? Did she cross someones path and inadvertently hurt them? Was this some sort of revenge? Esther racked her brain trying to think of a reason, any reason why she'd be targeted as such but came up with blanks.

"W-why...?" Esther found it hard to talk, as though a frog had lodged itself into her throat. She attempted to shift, but found that her body felt incredibly heavy, and no matter how hard she try - she just wasn't able to move. Dekkar's appearance had completely changed, he took away her cup, chastising her for being too trusting. She simply stared at him, tears forming in her eyes. Was he going to kill her? 

Then...

He mentioned a name she recognised.

Addel. 

Edited by Esther

Addel...

The man who fed her that strange cherry potion.

Addel, the man who cornered her within the confines of the safe zone.

Addel...the man who now stood behind her, who had approached, and lazily sat himself next to her. "Don't you look pretty in our colors." Addel joked, slinging an arm around Esther, pulling the helpless girl into him. "Tis a shame you're so hell bent on being such a goody-goody. I think the ranks of Black Adder would suit you well." Addel shrugged, "Course, we have ways of changing your mind." He reached out with his free hand, his fingers dancing over the lines of the collar that fit snugly around Esthers neck. "You're such a tease." He said, "It's no wonder Lycan isn't talking to you anymore."

Esther felt a tug at her heart as Addel mentioned Lycan. What did Lycan have to do with this? Why would Addel mention him? "L-Leave him alone..." Esther muttered, she may be paralysed, but she was still able to force out a few coherent sentences.

Addel laughed, shaking Esther as he did so, the feed she so desperately tried to feed to the ermines earlier littered the floor. "Oh you are hilarious." His free hand slipped down to the chain, gripping it, and tugging her closer to his form, his eyes shone with malicious brilliance, his blonde hair, normally a tousled mess had been slicked back. "You can't tell me you still actually care for him? Even after the sh*t he pulled?" Addel leaned closer, allowing his lips to brush against her earlobe as he whispered. "I've been watching you Esther. I saw everything I saw how he yelled at you - how he treated you once you kissed him. Even how he left you, crying, alone in that tavern. He's nothing but a hormone filled, detestable child. Still - you defend him?" 

Addel removed an arm from around her shoulder, grasping her chin and forcing her to look up at him. "Don't you feel you deserve better? Someone older? Someone who would treat a delicate pet such as yourself the way you deserve to be treated?"