[PP-F1] <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>> [What is a Friend?] [Complete]

Spoiler

ID: 74884

LD: 15

He picked apart the bushes, but the mushrooms just were not showing up. "Where are you..." He muttered to himself. We have ample time like Bongartz said, but it just felt like they needed to get this finished as soon as possible. This feeling could also just be that he was still uncomfortable with his company. He shrugged at the thought, and as he proceeded to make his way over to Bongartz, something caught his eye near a fallen log. He made his way over to it, and leaned down to look into the hole of the hollowed log, and to his amazement rested a red mushroom! "Got one over here!" I said to Bongartz lifting it into the air. "That's three down for me. Just a little more to go." He thought to himself, and made his way over to Bongartz. "We are doing pretty well aren't we? Keep it up." I say patting Bongartz on the shoulder. It feels weird doing this, but I think this is something a friend would do? Yea?

Edited by Percival
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

# 74920

LD: 19

I follow Percy to the log, and as he grabbed the mushroom that lay within, I look beside the log to see another one to the left.

*Hey, there's one here on the side as well. That makes 4 for me, and 3 for Percy, for a total of 7. We have almost enough to head back.*

"Yea, we seem to be making short work of this quest, this log seems to have hidden a few within itself. Here's another mushroom, meaning we only need 3 more total to finish."

When Percy pats my shoulder, I nod to him, thinking maybe he saw something and is trying to tell me to be on guard, so as I continue trying to find the mushrooms, I keep an eye out for any sign of a creature that could attack at any moment.

*He seems a little, well, off. I'm sure he means well, but I think I should keep my eye on him, make sure he doesn't find himself in any trouble.*

Edited by Bongartz

"He found another mushroom as well in this log eh?" Percival thought to himself. "Maybe there is more deeper on the inside?" He thought as he bent down to try to rummage around the inside of the hollowed out tree. 

Spoiler

ID: 74997

LD: 3

Percival thought he saw something deeper in the log, but it would require him to go in deeper to take a more accurate look. "Hey Bongartz." I say looking over to Bongartz. "I am going to try to go deeper in there. I think I see something." I de-equip my armor and hammer to allow myself to get into the hollowed log easier. "Cover me will ya?" I said smiling, and began to traverse the log.

The log was humid, smelled of rotten wood, and was incredibly cramped. Worst of all it was hard to see, so I was relying on my sense of touch to get through. As he slowly made his way through the log, he planted his hand down on something...squishy..."Oh no...I think I crushed it." Percival mumbled to himself. "Well, I guess I have to go a little deeper." He said shaking his head. He wasn't too fond of cramped dark places.

Edited by Percival
Spoiler

LD: 12

When Percy asks me to cover him, I nod, and place a hand on my sword.

"Just don't take too long in there, and be careful."

I turn around, unsheathe my sword, and place it in the ground in front of me, keeping an eye out for any creatures. After a few moments, however, another breeze blows by, revealing some red a few meters in front of me, which I make my way over too, and find to be another mushroom!

*Heh, this makes my 5th mushroom, which means I have all I need, but I need to help Percy get his last two. I'll continue looking for him as well.*

I walk back to the log and my sword, keeping an eye out once more, hand on the hilt of my sword, then I speak, hoping Percy is still close enough to hear;

"Hey, I just found another mushroom, taking me up to 5, so we only need 2 more. Hopefully you can find some soon, I don't like this area much."

Edited by Bongartz

As Percival crawled though the cramped log he heard Bongartz voice from behind him. "Good job Bongartz!". He realized though that Bongartz now had 5 when he only had 3. He shook his head in disappointment in himself. "Look at you. You are slowing him down. you're useless." He thought to himself crawling forward. "You have got to pick up the slack. Otherwise you will just get everyone killed around you."

Spoiler

ID: 75071

LD: 17

As he crawled he placed his hand down, and he felt something graze the tip of his finger. He gasped, and reached forward to the foreign object. It was a red capped mushroom! "Yes!" He shouted to himself. "I got one!" He shouted in to Bognartz. He looked ahead of him, and saw the opening to the log a couple yards away. "I am going to head to the end of the log. Meet you out there!" He shouted again.

Edited by Percival

I pull up my sword and sheath it, as things seem calm, then smile as I hear Percy call out he found his 4th Mushroom. I look back at the log, and when Percy mentions heading to the other end, I nod to myself and walk alongside it to meet him and help him out.

"Roger that, catch you at the end."

*Well, he only needs one more mushroom, and we aren't really sure yet if I can help him find it. Hmm, well, it's only one more mushroom, I'm sure he'll be able to find it on his own. The way he is, even if I did find one for him, he might just not accept it, as it wasn't his own doing.*

Despite my thoughts however, I do decide to keep an eye out, though not too much just in case. If I find one, I'll hint to Percy, but won't actually say anything. Hopefully, hints won't upset the system, and Percy would be grateful at the end, if it's needed, anyway.

He continued to crawl through the log, and once he finally got to the end he noticed Bognartz nearby. "Well I still got one more to go. Hopefully it won't take me too long to find." he standing himself up. He quickly brushed himself off, and re-equiped his weapon and armor. "Now then. Where should I try next?" He looked around the immediate vicinity, hoping to get lucky. 

Spoiler

ID: 75102

LD: 4

Nothing seemed to catch his eye. "Maybe we should start heading back to the entrance of the forest?" I say looking over to Bognartz. "You think we might spot the last one on our way back? I don't think it would hurt. We would be one step further to leaving this place as well." I cross my arms and lean against a nearby tree. "I think it could be an easy two birds with one stone if we play our cards right."

Edited by Percival

I look over at Percy as he climbs out of the log and puts his gear back on. I decide to make a little joke, seeing how long he was in there;

"Get a little lost in there? Thought maybe there was a hole you fell through."

After a slight chuckle, I grow serious as he mentions heading back out while searching for the mushrooms;

"That seems like a sound idea. It might work, and who know, maybe we passed some on the way here that we just didn't see. It's worth the attempt, so lead the way, Mr. Leader."

I smile as I make the tease about leadership, but I pay attention to Percy to see how he reacts to the term.

*There's something about you, Percy. You seem to know what you're doing, and how to lead, but it also seems you don't want the burden. I wonder who you really are, back out in the real world? I know this is no place to ask about that, and besides, it's improper etiquette, so I won't ask out loud. However, I will be watching you, as I feel we have something in common, more than just this quest.*

Never had Percival felt such a sharp and sudden pain in his life. "Leader?" Such a word being applied to him almost made him sick. Through the pain I quickly looked to Bongartz and said "Lets get going. I don't want to be in this forest any longer.". I quickly made my way back to the path from which we came. I shook my head at the thought as me being considered a "Leader". Leaders are what people look to for guidance and friendship. I am far from leadership material. 

He made his way to the nearby clearing and began a quick search.

Spoiler

ID: 75109

LD: 5

Doesn't look like anything is around. "I'm not seeing anything. Let's keep moving please." I say not even looking at Bongartz. "Why would he say that? What could I possibly be doing for him to call me that. I don't deserve praise. I don't deserve anything." With that thought, I rushed to the nearby trees, but in my frustration punch one of them passing by. Not even realizing I had. I quickly turned to see if Bongartz had noticed.

Edited by Percival

I watch as Percy, quite obviously, didn't like the thought of Leader much, and walk away in a huff. I follow behind, and raise an eyebrow at Percy when he punches the tree, but I say nothing further on the matter.

"At any rate, we should be at the entrance shortly, hopefully we'll find the last mushroom en route."

*That's strange. Of all ways for him to take the title, I wasn't expecting, well, this. I've never seen someone become enraged at the thought of it. There's more to this story, but now's not the time. I don't want to push him away, so I'll stop testing the waters, at least until we're more comfortable.*

"After we get the last mushroom here, any idea if there's more to this quest? Or is it just a simple search and grab?"

I place my hands behind my hand, relaxing as I walk next to you, keeping an eye out for red myself.

Spoiler

ID: 75129

LD: 13

"Well, looks like he saw that." Percival thought to himself, shaking his head in disappointment. When doing so, he happened to glance at a familiar red hue at the base of the tree he smacked. When he bent over to see what it was, it was indeed a red capped mushroom! "Looks like that's number five." I say holding the mushroom up to Bognartz. "Let's get out of this place shall we?"

When Bongartz asked him about the quest or if there was anything further, he responded with "I'm not sure if there is anything more to the current quest. Nothing was mentioned to me by the old man Zachariah. I also am not aware of any other quests relating to this one." I turn my head back to look to Bongartz, "We will just have to find out first hand."

As they continued their way through the forest, Percival could not help but question whether he should talk to Bognartz about what happened earlier in the forest. "I don't want to bother him with something as trivial as my bothersome husk, but I don't need him worried either for my sake." He thought to himself. He shook his head to get rid of the jumbled thoughts bumping around. "Now is not the time to seek pity Obediah!".

He continued his way to the entrance of the forest with Bongartz in tow. 

Edited by Percival

I smile as Percy grabs his last mushroom, and nod when he mentions heading out.

"First hand is usually better I suppose, no rumors or hearsay to misguide us. Can't really be anything more difficult than finding these mushrooms though."

I smile a bit, as we continue our path out of the forest, enjoying the comfortable silence, and when we exit the forest, I stretch.

*Hmm, maybe I could learn a bit more about this guy, if I ask questions indirectly. How should I go go about it, though? Ah, maybe I'll tell him something about me, and ask how he feels on the subject? Maybe a preference I could use to see inside his head a bit?"

"Ahh, man, forest feels cramped when you walk back onto the plains. I can't wait until we hit a winter floor though, I love the cold. How about you? Any floor in particular you'd like to see the most?"

As Percival continued his walk with Bongartz, I laughed when Bongartz mentioned his comment on forests. Quickly I replied "I love forests. They are great places to get away from people." Percival gave a slight look away, recalling bad memories from his past. "I would gladly escape to a forest before I ever go to a city." I turned my head back to the road ahead to continue walking. "Winter is also a beautiful thing, and I too look forward to the floor that has that theme." I say, looking over to Bongartz with a smile.

After a while of walking, Zachariah's house began to come into view. "Come on." I say, motioning Bongartz to follow. "Let's get these mushrooms turned in."

Percival knocked on the door to Zachariah's house, and opened the door. "Zachariah? We are back with the Red Capped Mushrooms." 

Zachariah popped his head around the corner of one of the rooms, and looked over to Percival and Bongartz with a smile. "Welcome back! That was quick. I was expecting you two to be out a little longer!" He walked around the corner and sat in a nearby chair.

"So did I." I responded. I opened my inventory and withdrew the mushrooms from my inventory and placed them upon the nearby table. "Here you go Zachariah. Was there anything else you needed from us, or did you need something more from us?" I looked over to Zachariah with a questioned look.

A forest map? Guess he kinda likes it here on this floor then, seeing as it's all plain and forest throughout. But the way he looks away, the want to be away from people, he has a rough past, probably similar to my own.

*At this point, I think I'm done trying to learn about Percy's past. I've learned enough, and if it's anything like mine, I can understand why he stays aloof. It's not the path I chose myself, but to each their own. Perhaps, over time, he'll be able to open up to more people, I should just feel comfortable that he has opened up as much as he has. I wonder if he feels similar about me?*

"Forests are fun, especially if you like to climb the trees."

Shortly after, we approach Zachariah's place, to which Percy opens the door, and speaks with him for a moment, placing his mushrooms on the table, so I too take the mushrooms out of my inventory.

"We found most of them at both the entrance to the forest, and a hollowed out log. We got lucky, I'd assume, these things were hard to spot."

I nod in acknowledgement to Bongartz's response to Zachariah. After Bongartz places the mushrooms upon the table Zachariah looks to us both and responds with "I am not done with you quite yet lads." He stands up and walks over to a a small table that housed a collection of alchemical supplies. He nit picked through them and once after grabbing the last one, "Ah! Here it is." Grabbing a couple small empty vials. Zachariah walked back over to the table with the mushrooms and placed all of the alchemical tools on top of it. "Now if you two would be so kind. I need a couple of healing potions made, however with my age my hands are not what they used to be." He lifts his shaking hands to Bongartz and I. "I can't mix the chemicals properly, so I need a steady hand. I will walk you through the process, so don't worry."

"Well I have never made a potion before. How hard could it be?" I think to myself. "I will help." Nodding to Zachariah.

"Thank you." Zachariah grabs a pestle and mortar, empty vials, and a few ingredients from the table and places them in front of me. "Now you must first grind one of those mushrooms you acquired with the pestle and mortar, second add a few berries to the power as well, and last but not least add a small mint leaf to the mix. Once that is all ground up place it into the empty vial and give it a good shake."

I nod to Zachariah, and think to myself, "That was easy enough to follow. Let's give it a shot."

Spoiler

ID: 75209

CD: 6

Good Success

Following the instruction given by Zachariah, Percival was able to make the health potion! After I complete the task I set the potion onto the table. "One health potion ready for ya."

Zachariah picks up the health potion, and after a few moments looks to me, "Nice job! That will do just fine." He says to me, placing the health potion into a pocket in his robe.Turning to Bongartz, "Now, lad. Your turn." He says pushing the materials to Bongartz.

Edited by Percival

Surprised at having to make a potion, I start at the list, and try to focus on how Zachariah tells us how to make a potion.

*Wait, what? Crafting an item? I don't know how to craft anything! It can't be that difficult, I suppose, but I have no idea how it'll turn out.*

"I-I can try, though crafting isn't my strong suit. I'll give it my best shot."

Spoiler

# 75210

CD: 3 <Fail>

I try to make the potion, as per Zachariah's directions, but upon pouring the liquid into the vial and shaking it, the vial shattered in my hand.

"Ahh, that wasn't supposed to happen, was it? I'm so sorry, I don't know how I messed it up."

I look at the fallen liquid as it starts to disappear;

*Well, at least Percy got it his first try, guess it makes up for his taking longer to find the mushrooms. I can't keep him waiting on me to do this though, I need a good potion. If I can figure out what I did wrong this time, I can make sure not to repeat the next.*

Edited by Bongartz

Percival shot alert when Bongartz broke the vial in his hand. "You ok Bongartz? You cut yourself?" I ask with a sincere tone. He looks disheartened and disappointed in himself. "What should I say?" I thought to myself. "What would a friend say?". After a moment of hesitation I looked to Bongartz with a smile and said "At least you didn't burn the place down! Eh Bongartz?" As those words left my mouth, my stomach rose to my throat. "What was that? You idiot?" If Percival could punch himself he would at this point.

Zachariah looked over to Bongartz and quickly responded to Bongartz apology. "It's perfectly fine young lad. We all must make mistakes before we can begin to learn what success is!" Pulling out more materials for Bongartz to retry in remaking the potion, he smiled and said "You are doing well, now give it another try. I'm sure you will get it."

I was amazed at how friendly Zachariah was to Bongartz. "So that is being friendly?" He thought to himself. Staring at his hands, he shook his head. "What kind of friend are you. You will never be or have friends as long as you are pathetic. You can't even speak right! Pitiful..." I quickly turn to look out the nearby window, as to not distract Bongartz from the task at hand with my petty thoughts. 

Edited by Percival

I chuckle nervously at Percy's comment, kinda scared if I try again I might just burn the place down, though I know he meant it as a joke, then smile at Zachariah's kind words;

"Yes, burning the place down would be quite bad, and yes, failing is the only way to truly learn something. Alright, I'm ready, let's make a good potion this time."

Spoiler

# 75215

CD: 7 (Rare Success)

I concentrate all my focus on the task at hand, making sure I do everything right, and hold my breath as I pour the liquid into the flask;

*This is it, I have to hope it's sufficient enough for Zachariah to approve. I failed once, and he didn't mind too much, but I can't let him down twice in a row.*

As I shake the vial, the potion glows for a second, then fades, but the vial and liquid are both intact and well.

"Umm, why did it glow? Did I do something I wasn't supposed to? Is it ok?" 

I ask the questions in a rapid fire way, scared I may have just crafted a poison rather than a healing potion, and hoping it glowed for a different reason.

Edited by Bongartz

When Bongartz began to craft the potion I decided to quit moping by the window and see how he did. After he had made the concoction, there was a glow, and right then I knew he had succeeded. "Nice" I thought. When Bongartz freaked out after making the potion, he startled me. I knew the glow meant success, but when he started getting nervous I didn't know what was going on. I waited in anticipation for what Zachariah was going to say next.  

Zachariah lifted the potion off the table and began to inspect it. After a moment of hesitation re replied to Bongartz, "It glowed because you succeeded! Congratulations! You made a health potion!" He placed the potion into his coat pocket.

I sighed a breath of relief at the fact. "Good job Bongartz." I say nodding to him in approval.

Zachariah looks to us both, and says "I can't thank the both of you enough. However we are not done just yet. I have one last task." He says raising a finger. "I need you two to deliver something for me. It would be greatly appreciated."

"It is still early in the day, and we are making good progress as is." He thought to himself. "Sure, we can deliver that for you." I say to Zachariah.

"Thank you!" He says rummaging through his pockets. He pulls out a small package and hands it to me. "Take this to Lyle, Tealeaf. He's a local blacksmith in the area. You won't miss him." 

I take the package and smile to Zachariah. "Will do. Thank you again Zachariah." I say giving him a slight bow.

"Pleasure is all mine." He says to the both of us. 

I breathe a giant sigh of relief upon being told I succeeded, and then smile at the Percy and Zachariah;

"Whew, that's a relief. Thank you for having faith in me."

As he asks Percy and I to deliver a package to a Lyle Tealeaf, I try to think of where his shop would be exactly, but if Zachariah says we can't miss it, I guess we'd just need to have faith in that. When Percy bows to Zachariah, I do the same, though I say nothing, as Percy is saying everything for the both of us.

*Percy says he can't be a leader, but to me, it seems as though it comes naturally to him. I wonder if he even knows it though? If he doesn't now, he will sooner or later, and my bet is on the former.*

As we finish the conversation, I open the door of the house, and let Percy walk out, then follow behind him.