Raine's Journal

59190616903f0_Horo_full.2074901copy2.thumb.png.d7b4f64119bb8bc9d09958ad7630c88d.pngB a s i c  I n f o r m a t i o n

Username: Kitsune
Height: 5' 6"

H i s t o r y

591907883b662_Rainecopycopy.png.a11c3a507f2fe2c7b36e90ed9b0be35c.pngaine is the apotheosis of both her French mother and Japanese father's – alternative, for a lack of better words – upbringing. She was born in Tokyo where her father worked as a doctor until she reached the young age of 9. Until that time they were as comfortable and happy a family could be – at least by Japanese standards. Her father had lost his job, and having no strong family ties in Japan, her parents decided it best that they move to France to stay with Raine's grandmother. At first things were fine. There was food on the table, warm beds, kisses goodnight and happy 'good mornings', but Raine noticed her parents' disposition changing over the years. They were growing colder, her father exceedingly so. 

By the time Raine was 13 her grandmother had to be sent to hospice. This is where she noticed things were really changing at home. Coming back from school one day she overheard her parents whispering, but when they heard the front door close they had stopped immediately. She hadn't realized at the time but they were having money problems – what with having to pay grandma's bills – and her father wasn't able to find any good-paying jobs purely due to discrimination. Raine's mother didn't have many skills, but was very beautiful. When they were unavoidably pushed into a dirtier neighborhood she resulted to prostitution as a way to make ends meet, and Raine's father did odd jobs here and there. Things had actually improved a bit once Raine's grandmother died. There was less to pay for, and Raine was still only 17 so the idea of college was just a distant dream for at least a year or two more, but even then the tuition for a public university in France wasn't anything impossible for the three of them. Raine thought everything would be okay. Until her father found our about her mother's "part-time job".

She doesn't remember much about this part. The screaming, the blood, and then silence, and then sound. Her father had gone insane. Stripped of his idea of a perfect job and a perfect family, he had become a monster. Her mother's body was hardly recognizable when the police finally showed up, and it was violated. Raine was 18 when it happened, so she didn't have to go through any of the trifling matters of finding a legal guardian or entering foster care. And to be completely honest, she just stopped caring about what was in store for her. The investigators never did find out about the whole story, but Raine knew. As much as she tried to forget, her body reminded her every day what her father had done. Raine was due to enter a nearby public university in the Fall, but she had no plans to show up at orientation. She was able to live in a small apartment in a cute, Parisian neighborhood thanks to a combination of social security and making spare change off of commissions. As the weather began changing from Summer to Fall Raine found herself indoors more and more. Every day that came felt worse than the last and she wanted to be done with it. On a whim, and using what was left of her savings, she decided to buy the nerve gear set and a copy of Sword Art Online when it had been officially released. There was a lot of hype surrounding the game and she was tired of staring at her computer screen trying to figure out how to be happy again. She decided to design her avatar to be a bit more fun, trading her now solemn, black eyes for burgundy and turning her chocolate brown hair to a bright, strawberry blonde. For the hell of it she even gave herself a set of fox ears and a tail. She still looked much like herself, but she felt like she was outside of her body. A different Raine. For the first time in forever she could feel a smile trying to break out. Even when the logout option was removed, Raine hadn't panicked. She wasn't planning to live much longer in reality, and having been separated from it she found the hope needed to at least try and keep on living in this foreign, fantasy world that would soon become her home – and a refuge from her unfortunate life thus far.

V i r t u e s

Survivor: Raine feels a greater responsibility to cherish her new life in Aincrad. She was given a second chance in a new, untainted body and she is taking full advantage of that. Although she's not a strong fighter, she possesses an incredibly strong will to live. Even if Raine could return to the world she knew before she considers herself already dead.

Animal Whisperer: Raine has the remarkable ability to easily befriend hostile mobs. Before being trapped in Aincrad, she had two cats and a small-breed dog keeping her company in her apartment. Knowing that her body is still alive and well outside of the game world, Raine hopes that somebody has also been taking care of her furry family members.

Careful: Having been traumatized by her own family growing up, Raine is not the type to trust easily. She is an expert in body language and is able to catch a lie if she's already suspicious of somebody.

F l a w s

Loner: Raine has a hard time working in parties or guilds. She doesn't like to be touched, and often panics even when male NPCs make gestures at her. She also has a hard time cooperating with people because she is a bit paranoid, but tends to work fine with girls when necessary. It's the guys she has trouble with.

Rash: If Raine sees something wrong happening, she's the type to step in even if she's at a disadvantage (she often is). She made the mistake once of not intervening, of not getting help when her mother needed it and she died because of it. However, she does always analyze the situation at hand before setting a plan into motion. Raine doesn't at all enjoy being the type of person with a strong moral compass, but she doesn't want to have any more regrets.

Phobic: Certain people, conditions, and items cause Raine to panic. While she doesn't mind seeing players spar or hunt monsters with weapons she herself is unable to use them. She carries a one-handed dagger in case of emergencies. 

P r o f e s s i o n  &  S k i l l s

Profession: Artisan
Skills: None at the moment

Total SP: 5
Spent: 0
Unspent: 5

W e a p o n s  &  Armor

One-handed iron dagger – E Q U I P P E D
Starter cloth armor – E Q U I P P E D
Fox ears (non beneficial) – E Q U I P P E D
Fox tail (non beneficial) – E Q U I P P E D

O t h e r   I n v e n t o r y