Questions about Artistry!

Okay, I am an artisan. You smiths are stuck only making weapons and armor, and you weavers can make clothing, cloaks, and leather stuff. Yeah? That leaves one such as myself with the option of making trinkets essentially. How far can I go before I start pushing some boundaries?

Naturally making things like a mask or jewelry fits into my area, but how about some consumables or cooldown related items? I don't mean things like how an alchemist who throws a potion at a guy and it poisons him. I mean like I carve out a horn from a minotaur, and it can provide a temporary buff when used by the owner. Perhaps a party buff with a severe cooldown, or even costs a turn altogether as well? Of course this would apply to other instruments as well! Like a flute and stuff. Perhaps this could give some synergy with Performers? Just saying, I don't think Artistry should only be applied to things that are worn on one's person.

Anybody else have some ideas they are willing to share or criticism to provide?

Quick edit: I am thinking the horn could rely on the crafting dice if you wanted to restrict it, like a 1 results in a possible LOSS in stats while a 12 would bring about some pretty awesome stuff. Performance rank might affect it in a way that allows one to have a lower chance of a failure (bonuses to the crafting dice only when using an instrument!) or even increase effects. This is all theoretical as performers are all but nonexistent much like Artisans.

Using items all together uses a turn, unless they are worn. As for your question in regards to flutes, horns, etc. only a Performer would be able to use them so you would not sell much since Performer isn't a very sought out profession. Also all things used in combat are measure by the combat die, and artisan is usually by definition is someone who makes things by hands so making instruments is right up your field, though you cannot give past +3 stat enhancements, you can give +2 and +1 or +1 +1 +1, but nothing past that. Oh and the item has to be perfect for +3, check crafting tutorial in the tutorial section to use a reference or the item approval page for examples.

Using items all together uses a turn, unless they are worn. As for your question in regards to flutes, horns, etc. only a Performer would be able to use them so you would not sell much since Performer isn't a very sought out profession. Also all things used in combat are measure by the combat die, and artisan is usually by definition is someone who makes things by hands so making instruments is right up your field, though you cannot give past +3 stat enhancements, you can give +2 and +1 or +1 +1 +1, but nothing past that. Oh and the item has to be perfect for +3, check crafting tutorial in the tutorial section to use a reference or the item approval page for examples.

Understood on the turn related thing, and I am not so much concerned about profit for the instruments, so much as if there is something I can provide to the few performers who do come to be. I don't have many other ideas when it comes to what items I might create aside from equipment, honestly. At least yet.

I suppose the combat dye things makes sense, I was only thinking that the crafting dye would be used because it's a profession just like smithing or fishing. Obviously there is no reason that the combat dye cannot be used so that is mostly just me being creative.

And while I do thank you for confirming the details on the boosts I can give to crafted items, I was more trying to brainstorm if I did provide a performer with an instrument that had boosts, would it give them the power to create buffs of some kind with their music, or what kind of effect I could expect. I can't imagine anyone under any circumstance using a flute as equipment, so to me a useable item like a potion would be used makes more sense for instruments. Minus the whole one-time use thing, thus the suggestion of cooldowns. I wouldn't really compare the boosts given to instruments the same way as to a sword, but rather to a potion made by an alchemist. If it did have a +1 to combat roll (as a generic example of no imagination) I would add to the end "When played" with perhaps "To user" or "To group" or maybe even debuffs for enemies to lower their stats.

Understood on the turn related thing, and I am not so much concerned about profit for the instruments, so much as if there is something I can provide to the few performers who do come to be. I don't have many other ideas when it comes to what items I might create aside from equipment, honestly. At least yet.

I suppose the combat dye things makes sense, I was only thinking that the crafting dye would be used because it's a profession just like smithing or fishing. Obviously there is no reason that the combat dye cannot be used so that is mostly just me being creative.

And while I do thank you for confirming the details on the boosts I can give to crafted items, I was more trying to brainstorm if I did provide a performer with an instrument that had boosts, would it give them the power to create buffs of some kind with their music, or what kind of effect I could expect. I can't imagine anyone under any circumstance using a flute as equipment, so to me a useable item like a potion would be used makes more sense for instruments. Minus the whole one-time use thing, thus the suggestion of cooldowns. I wouldn't really compare the boosts given to instruments the same way as to a sword, but rather to a potion made by an alchemist. If it did have a +1 to combat roll (as a generic example of no imagination) I would add to the end "When played" with perhaps "To user" or "To group" or maybe even debuffs for enemies to lower their stats.

Glad to hear I clarified the die thing, as for the instruments they are equipment. They also already hold a use as a Performers tool, Performers may attract or repel, pull or push away, any monsters or enemies via their voice or playing. So added stats would probably be passive effects rather than an actual ability.

Glad to hear I clarified the die thing, as for the instruments they are equipment. They also already hold a use as a Performers tool, Performers may attract or repel, pull or push away, any monsters or enemies via their voice or playing. So added stats would probably be passive effects rather than an actual ability.

Ah I see. So it would be not that different from the usual trinkets I make. Oh well, I am sure I could think up something though. Lots of untapped potential I am sitting on as far as I am concerned! Though most of my current work (to me) seems really obvious, I do have some ideas kicking around that I will rely on the evaluation for judgement when it's their time.