[SP - F01] <<Earning a Living: Alchemist>>

Walking through the streets of the Town of Beginnings was something that Rithe had done quite often now, but it still gave her peace of mind. She was strolling through the market center of the City when an NPC suddenly calls out from under her canopy. Rithe, startled, jumps at the sudden sound. Rithe looks over at the now approaching woman and braces herself for a barrage of information, typical of NPC's. But just after the first sentence of dialogue... Rithe was interested. Alchemy! She can teach me alchemy? This is easier than I thought. I was worried I'd have to do experiments or something. But if it works just like a standard quest. Then It should be a breeze. Rithe patiently listened to the rest of what the woman was saying before accepting the quest. I just have to bring some materials to a lab, and make something... What should I make? Rithe shakes her head. Gotta focus on just getting the materials for now. Strange. This reminds me of something else I've done... Rithe shrugs as she begins the travel towards the forest of floor 1. I guess it doesn't really matter.

Arriving in the woods on schedule, Rithe yawns, and makes a commitment to herself. I want to be over and done with this before dinner. As if on cue, Rithe's stomach grumbles a complaint. With a sheepish look on her face, Rithe mutters, "Guess I really didn't have much of a breakfast." She ignores the pangs of hunger, reminding herself that she can't die from hunger in this game, and begins surveying the landscape for alchemical-related ingredients. But the area is as sparse as it always has been, providing no material for the crafting of potions. Rithe sighs in exasperation. This is easily my least favorite part of this world. But if i'm ever going to own my own shop, I guess that I'll need to get used to this.

Spoiler

ID# 103955 results:

Loot: 7(failure)

Ugh. Wait! Rithe notices a certain shrub that looks oddly similar to something required for the quest. Awesome I can't believe that I'm finding materials so eas-... ah. As it turned out, the plant... Was just a plant. Rithe cast it to the side, and decided to search elsewhere.

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

The forest was buzzing with sounds of insects and birds, cheerful carrying on with their digital lives through a series of complicated programming codes. Rithe envied them. Such a simple existence, not even aware that the world around them doesn't really exist. In the tradition sense of the word anyway. Despite this, Rithe took pleasure in absorbing the atmosphere of the forest. The calming gentle wind and the scent of the wild coupled together to seep deep into Rithe's senses and take her to a whole new level of relaxed. If I weren't here to do something, I might fall asleep. Rithe rallied some composure, and returned to the never ending toil of finding materials. Or so she thought.

Spoiler

ID# 103956 results:

Loot: 1(failure)

Maybe it was her immersion in the environment that distracted her from discovering anything of value, or maybe it was just her ineptitude at perception. Either way, Rithe continued struggling to uncover what she needed.

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

Rithe had found a rotting log, and was examining the inside for any beneficial fungi when she heard something. Or rather, she heard nothing. The sounds of the forest had faded away, leaving only the wind rustling through the leaf-laden branches. This bothered her on an instinctual level, and she found herself retreating from her current location. Maybe I'll find materials in a different part of the wilderness. The forest resumed its orchestral performance of the sounds of nature as Rithe pioneered the way deeper into a different section of untouched woods, spurred on by whatever she had left behind. There has got to be something here. Why can't I just grab any one plant and have that work for me? Rithe stretches and glances over shoulder suspiciously at where she left the silent forest. At least I don't have to deal with whatever that was.

Spoiler

ID# 103957 results:

Loot: 6(failure)

Despite a clear abundance of botanical bounty, Rithe was having no insignificant amount of trouble finding the specifics of the list that the NPC Alchemist had given her. There's literally plants everywhere. Couldn't I just pick something and pretend it's what I need? But she knew that the game would not allow for that.

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

Scraping the dirt with the tip of her dagger, Rithe filed through the soil looking for roots or minerals. Nothing here, nothing there, there is nothing anywhere. Rithe amused herself with this thought. I could write a Dr. Seuss book. She smiled to herself. He was an older author, but from what little she read of his work, she found it remarkably entertaining. His ability to somehow make the nonsensical make sense just so he could form a competent rhyme was incredible. Rithe wiped her dagger off on her tunic and sheathed it. I wonder if the canopy would hold any value. Rithe cast her vision skywards looking at the many intertwining branches of the dense trees. Testing how sturdy the bark is, Rithe circles a tree with relatively lower branches and begins planning a path up it. 

Spoiler

ID# 103958 results:

Loot: 13(failure)

Securing her dagger to her side, and tightening her tunic, Rithe starts to scale the tree.

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

Rithe's legs dangled off either side of a large tree-limb, as she examined the leaves of the tree she had scaled part of. Glancing towards the ground Rithe remarked at the height, "Maybe five feet up or so... but what I'm looking for won't be this low." It was clear that she had no rational fear of heights as she made her way up to the next highest branch. At this height, the air was more fresh, and more turbulent; the wind causing Rithe to sway gently on top of her perch. Ignoring this, she delicately begins perusing the tree's stock of greens. Legs comfortably locked around the branch, Rithe seemed to be in her element. The wind gently tugged on the loose parts of her tunic and the strands of her dark hair. 

Spoiler

ID# 103959 results:

Loot: 18(success) +1 T1 Material [1/5 collected]

Plucking something that resembles an acorn from the tree's arm, Rithe quickly inspects it and pockets it. Finally. I knew getting higher up would help.

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

But maybe getting even higher would be even better. Rithe thoughtfully gazed into the lighter boughs above. Couldn't hurt could it? She scrambles to the next branch in increasing elevation and renews the search. Immediately, she notices a bird's nest with a few small eggs in it. A very ferocious, but also remarkably small mother bird is guarding it from this invader. Rithe stifles a giggle at the sentiment, and carefully works around the nest at a safe distance. I'm not the enemy, little one. Don't mind me, I'm just going to slip riiight past you and grab this... Despite her best efforts to keep a respectable distance, this tiny territorial bird was preventing her advance. Come on, don't be like that. We're both just trying to do our jobs. I'm collected seeds, and you are keeping your children safe. I won't interfere with your task, and I'd appreciate it if you could not interfere with mine. 

Spoiler

ID# 103960 results:

Loot: 3(failure)

Despite Rithe's compromise, the small animal refused to budge. Fine, I'll just check the next branch then. She thought, briefly sticking her tongue out at the creature. 

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

At this point Rithe's altitude was becoming troublesome. The small offshoot she had settled on was fully subjected to the breeze, causing her to cling tighter to it. I'm starting to regret this decision. Hopefully I can get something quickly, this is quite precarious situation. She began extracting leaf after leaf, acorn-thing after acorn-thing. Finding nothing of the quality that she found earlier. Frustrated, she lets out a huff of breath, blowing her hair out of her face. Time to head back down then. Very. Carefully. She begins clambering back down, passing the bird's nest and giving the still vigilant avian an irritated stare. Then she loses her grip.

Luckily she catches herself on a gratefully nearby limb, and breathes a sigh of relief. That could have been bad. Maybe I shouldn't climb anymore trees...

Spoiler

ID# 103961 results:

Loot: 17(Success) +1 T1 Material [2/5 collected]

Rithe fully dismounts from the tree landing on a fern. Looking at what cushioned her fall, she recognized something from her list. I hope they don't mind that it's crushed. 

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

Returning to the tradition ground-based searching pattern, Rithe's confidence is boosted from her recent find and gives as much effort as she can muster to finding these pesky materials. Leaving a confusing path of de-rooted foliage, Rithe carves a path through the wilderness. No. Nope. Not good enough. Not ripe enough. Wrong type. Wrong plant. Worthless. What even is this? No. No. NO. Frustration began to well within Rithe as she discards item after item. There isn't anything here. No one has ever been here and yet it's still barren of anything I can use. She sits on the grass and rests with her back to a tree, closing her eyes and trying to relax. Getting worked up over a few plants is kind of dumb. Maybe a quick nap will help me to think clearer.

Spoiler

ID# 103962 results:

Loot: 15(success) +1 T1 Material [3/5 collected]

She smells a familiar fragrance, and with eyes still closed she snatches the offending plant and stores it into the inventory. Back to sleep.

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

Time passes. Her dreams are empty, filled with nurturing rest rather than rapid eye movement. After a nondescript amount of time, Rithe awakens. How long was I out. Hours? A quick look at the sun's progression confirms this theory. Rithe pales and scrambles to check her menu. The quest won't expire will it? She sighs in relief upon noticing that the quest had not, in fact, expired. Well, that's good. But it's time to get back to work. I'll never finish this quest otherwise. Yawning and stretching, she rises and return to examining the forest for resources. Rithe carefully scans the wilderness now that she feels refreshed from her rest. Let's see, under this rock? Rithe recoils, Nope, just a lot of bugs. What about this patch of bushes? Rithe shudders for some unknown reason, and decides against raiding the bush for its materials. No, I'd better not. 

Spoiler

ID# 104019 results:

Loot: 17(success) +1 T1 Material [4/5 collected]

Turning away from the bushes, she spots a small exposed root nestled amongst the grass. Now I'm making progress. She collects it and moves forward with the search. 

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

She briefly considers climbing back up into a tree, but decides otherwise on account of the danger it entails. There's fall damage in this game right? That could have been pretty bad after all I'm only level 1. I don't have much Health to begin with. And then the realization of the long road sets in. How long will it take for me to be powerful enough to assist with our escape? Will I ever catch up? Or will I die in the woods, and become another crossed of name on the Monument of Life? The thought disturbed her thoroughly. What am I thinking. This isn't healthy to think like this. Reaching for a promising looking flower, Rithe jumps as a noise from behind startles her. Looking slowly over her should she finds nothing but a fallen branch. I'm just scaring myself at this point. 

Spoiler

ID# 104020 results:

Loot: 17 (success) +1 T1 Material [5/5 collected]

Rithe returns to the flower and places it in her inventory. I guess that's that. Time to head back now.

Edited by Rithe
loot roll

Rithe exits the forest slowly, kicking the fallen branch out of spite and giving the frustrating bird a glare. She comes to a field where the evening sun sets casting staggeringly beautiful rays of multicolored light across the clouds. Wow. Now this, isn't too bad. I wouldn't mind waking up and seeing this everyday. She breathes the clear air and feels fulfilled. I wonder what the other floors are like. Are they just a gorgeous or are the scarier? Rithe ponders this for a second before deciding that with monster strength taken into account, the higher floors are definitely scary. She exits the field and comes into the outskirts of the starting city. This place is as lively as ever. I wonder how many people were like me... Too frightened to move a muscle. Her gray eyes recognize the plaza of the Town of Beginnings and seems to visibly relax. This place is so calming, helps to take my mind off things. Now where is that alchemist?

Rithe recognizes the woman who had approached her previously, as she arrives at the market center once again. The NPC greets her and discusses the acquisition of the materials, to which Rithe confirms her finds. Smooth enough, and this NPC seems rather friendly. The NPC takes Rithe's hand and guides into her alchemy workstation. Rithe is stunned by the extent of the setup, and can't help but get excited. I wonder what she dragged me back here for? She then notices what the quest log says. 'Successfully make an alchemical item'', finally! I can't wait. She takes a material out of her inventory, some seeds from the tree and places it on the table in front of her. I'm sorely lacking in strength, so maybe a poison will be what I'm looking for. She takes the tools laid out before her by the NPC and gets to work. 

Spoiler

ID# 104021 results:

Craft: 6(crafting failure)

Loot: 13(material salvaged) [5 materials left]

This was more difficult than Rithe thought. When she 'finished', she presented a dull gray sludge to the NPC, who gently shakes her head and tells her how it can still be used, but that it won't do anything as it is.

Edited by Rithe
Craft Roll.

Breathing calmly, Rithe reclaims the material and decides to mix some other herbs into it. Maybe that's what it needed. But wait, if it is a poison, then it needs something dangerous mixed in. Rithe glances around at the many bottles and jars of possible additives. If I combine as many things as possible, won't it be hazardous? With this plan in mind, she began mixing in as many things as possible, taking a little from all the jars and bottles. The NPC raises an eyebrow at this, but otherwise doesn't complain. Crushing the abomination with mortar and pestle, Rithe smirked smugly. There is no way that this is healthy. I think that whoever was affected by this would contract a disease before the actual poison effect took them. The sludge had become more paste like with a brown, burnt-red hue.

Spoiler

ID# 104022 results:

Craft: 11(rare success)

Loot: 18 [4 materials left]

With the salve looking like molded and dirty rust, Rithe shows it for the second time to the NPC, who nods slowly and tell Rithe that she may keep it, and the leftover materials.

Edited by Rithe
Craft Roll.

Is this it? Am I done? Am I an alchemist now? She wanted to get straight into crafting but... I wouldn't know where to start! Do I get a workshop like that NPC? Where is it? Can I make potions, and things like that? The options were overwhelming her, but she thanks the alchemist and leaves. I think I need to treat myself. Like a reward for doing so well. Rithe examines the statistics of the salve she has just made. This thing is dangerous! I hope it doesn't get to a point where I have to use this. But with the way the world worked, it would be inevitable. Rithe stops in the plaza and sits by the fountain, basking in the setting sun. Cafe, cafe, cafe... I need a parfait. She remembers the first time she had every received such a treat. It was one of her lucky days back when she wasn't trapped in a death game. In fact, it was the same day that Rithe received her father's gift: a warm, comfortable leather jacket. 

Flashback

The day had started unlike any other. When she woke, Rika was greeted by her parent's smiling faces and breakfast being served to her on the futon in her bedroom. This was terrifying to the young girl, who questioned the reasoning behind the action. Her father looked sadly at her and said that they were very sorry for all the horrible things they had subjected her to. Rika distrusted these people who called themselves her parents more than anything, and it took them almost a full hour to convince her to eat the breakfast. Still partially convinced that it is poisoned, the girl ate cautiously. The food was delicious, as it was the first time Rika had ever tasted Homemade Bacon and Eggs. She couldn't stop the tears, they rolled down her faced like a waterfall, falling silently on the food plate. Her parents hugged her, but the girl couldn't reciprocate. 

Edited by Rithe

Continued

"W-why..." Rika started bawling, crying harder than she ever had in her entire life. Her mother responded with caring eyes that didn't belong to her. "W-who are y-you..? Go a-away." She stuttered out. But her parents kept hugging her. It was too much for the girl who broke down fully and tightly grasped her family with all her emotions pouring out through her tears. She looks up as the two rose gently from her side and offered their hands to help her rise out of bed. Rika's eyes went wide when they wold her that they were going to make up for all that they've done. They told her that they all were going to be a family together like Rika's always wanted them to be, and that today was their way of apologizing. "Why did it have to take this long..?" she says, hoping for some reasoning behind her torment. But they just lower their eyes and apologize sincerely.

Continued

Something had to be off, she just knew it. There is no way on Earth that her parental units didn't have some nefarious ulterior motive. Staring at each of them, Rika finishes her breakfast. As she is guided out of her room into the hallway, she feels threatened by the sudden open space, instinctively retreating back to her very small room. Her father reassures her and mentions that their might be something special waiting for her in the living room. Not knowing where that was, Rika lets herself be pulled by her hands through the halls of the house that she has never seen. Arriving in a simple, yet somehow still ornate room with a few plush couches and a large flat-screen television, the girl stares dumbfounded at the change in scenery. And folded neatly onto the table is a much too large leather jack with a note on the top that says, 'From Dad'. She reaches out delicately, looking back at her parents for permission, and proceeding when they nod encouragingly.

Edited by Rithe

Continued

Putting it on, it is clear that the jacket was made for someone much larger than herself. Rika drew it around herself and rejoiced in its warmth and comfort. "T-thank you." she says, gazing up at her parents as family for the first time. The rest of the day was just about everything that a happiness starved little girl could want. From visiting the park, to going to a shopping mall, to simply walking around in the city, Rika was happy for the first time in ages. Their familial adventures culminated in a parfait from a local cafe, as the day drew to a close. "It's so goood!" Rika says enthusiastically, to which her parents nod affirmation and smile lovingly. They inform her to finish up quickly, because it's time to go home, to which Rika responds with by accelerating the rate of parfait consumption. The happy family of three settle down in their living as night comes to the Therian household. Her mother, excuses herself and leaves, claiming to have dinner on the way. Rika sits calmly and watching a relaxing nature program on the television with her father. Her mother calls out from some hallway stating that dinner has been prepared and that she would serve Rika in her bedroom. She didn't really want to go back in there, but if that was the price to pay for happiness, she would gladly pay it. She entered her room, as her mother exited, kissing the girl on the head as she leaves and reminds her to eat all of it. Rika enters the room excitedly and finds a small bowl left on the ground in the now empty room. Rika notices the cold from the lack of heating and clutches the jacket tighter. The bowl contained nothing but dirty water. As the tears begin to flow, she says "Someone... h-help..."

Edited by Rithe
Clarity

Rithe snapped out of her recollection, finding herself sprawled prone on the floor. She wearily lifts herself and dries the invasive tears streaming down her face. I almost don't want to see them if I survive this. But she had sworn to herself that she would escape and prove to herself and her parents that even the worst of things can be overcome. After this, nothing you can do will phase me. She tightens her tunic around her, providing her its warmth and comfort. Maybe I don't really want a parfait. Rithe stands and looks about, before checking her menu for the map. What next? Should I find out where my shop is? How do I do that? Thoughts swimming through her mind overwhelm her. Let's go back to the NPC, maybe she can tell me. And so, with that, she sets off to visit the NPC alchemist. She gets most of the way there before realizing I need materials if I'm going to be doing anything useful. And so she rushes to the noticeboard and sees that a place called Horunka is listed as the place to go. Here goes nothing.