[F01-SP] <<The Second Lesson Is Also Free>> A Favor for Lyle

My eyes popped open and I bounded out of bed this morning. Finally, I felt like I had a purpose. It was barely light outside but I was ready to face the day. Hopefully, Lyle was already up as well. I made his way through the streets of the Town of Beginnings with the sun starting to barely peek over the horizon. The shadows cast by the buildings were long and dark and I grinned as I thought about the day ahead. “A hunt! Finally! I haven’t been hunting since my first few days here. When I almost died,”I thought. Checking my gear as I walked, I nodded to himself, “I’m much more prepared than before though.” I stopped again to get some bread for breakfast so my stomach wouldn’t be rumbling while talking to Lyle and began to eat as I walked the final stretch to the blacksmith’s workshop.

Quest Objectives:

Spoiler

- Lyle Tealeaf is short on rarer materials for his weaponry. He needs three(3) Boar Pup Tusks to complete his work. (Boar Pup Tusks are treated as materials, so you need to defeat them until you recover (3) Boar Pup Tusk materials)

-Upon returning to Lyle Tealeaf with (3) Boar Pup Tusks, He asks if you can deliver a package to a young artisan named Hannah who can be found in a grove of trees in the city.

Boar Pup Stats:
HealthPoints: 5
Damage: 3 (does not gain bonus damage on Criticals)
Boars drop Tusks on LD 11+

-Return to Lyle Tealeaf and hand over the materials.

Quest Requirements:

Spoiler

-At least one [1] Pages (20 or more posts)
-Must have completed 'The First Few Lessons are Free' before taking this quest
-Must RP traveling to and from Lyle's workshop
-Maximum Party size of 4.

Current Stats:

Spoiler

Level 5

HP: 100/100 EN: 10/10

DMG: 3 MIT: 17

ACC: +0 EVA: +0

Skills:

Battle Axe R1

Heavy Armor R1

Items:

1. 5 Tier 1 Uncommon Health Potions (+40 HP)
  2. 1 Tier 1 Uncommon Damage Potion (+1 Damage)
  3. 1 Tier 1 Uncommon Over-Health Potion (50 Temporary HP
  4.  [Empty]
  5. [Empty]

Edited by Mortambo

As I arrived at Lyle’s workshop and knocked at the door, the old man opened the door “Good to see you this morning, my boy. Ready to go find me the materials I need?” I nodded to the old man and entered his workshop. “What is it you need? Zackariah said something about boar pups?” Lyle nodded, “Yes, well he was exactly right. Right outside the Town you can find young boars, and I need 3 of their tusks. It should be easy enough for an adventurer like you. But it’s a bit difficult for an old man like myself. After that, I might know someone else who could use your help.” Nodding, I accepted the quest and headed out towards the outside walls of the Town. As I reached the gates, I took a deep breath and stepped beyond the safety of the Town for the first time since the first few days he had been trapped.

I was very tense as I began looking around for the place that Lyle had told him about that the Pups spawned. I hadn’t ventured out beyond the walls to hunt things since I had nearly died about a week after being trapped in SAO. But taking a deep breath and closing my eyes I pushed on to the spawn point Lyle told me about. There I found three of the boar pups wandering around and honestly they were kind of cute. I unlimbered my axe and checked my armor ready to charge in. I had been training for just this moment. Rushing forward I let the boars sense me coming and as they grouped up I activated one of my Sword Arts called Crescent Thrust hopefully eliminating all of the boars at once. I performed the activating move and let the system take me through the rest of the motion striking in a wide arc across all three of the boars. All the boars instantly derezzed as my axe slashed through them.

Round 1:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111071
    • Battle: 8 (Mortambo hits)
    • HIT: 6 DMG
    • MOB: 4 (Boar 1 dies before attacking)
  • ID# 111072
    •  Battle: 7 (Mortambo hits)
    •  MOB: 4
  •  ID# 111073
    •  Battle: 8 (Mortambo hits)
    •  MOB: 10
  • Mortambo HP: 100/100 EN: 2/10 DMG: 3 MIT: 17 ACC: 0 EVA: 0
    • > Crescent Thrust: (3 base) x2 = 6 damage to Boar Pups 1-3 
  • Boar Pup #1: HP: 0 (-6 HP) (DEAD)
  • Boar Pup #2: HP: 0 (-6 HP) (DEAD)
  • Boar Pup #3: HP: 0 (-6 HP) (DEAD)
    • Attack: 3 DMG - 17 MIT = 1 DMG (Nullified because Mortambo killed it)

END OF COMBAT

Loot Rolls:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111074
    •  Loot: 14
    • Results: 1 Tusk found!
  • ID# 111075
    •  Loot: 9
    • Results: No Tusk
  •  ID# 111076
    •  Loot: 20
    • Results: 1 Tusk found!
  • Total Tusks: 2/3

Edited by Mortambo

I stood there for a moment shocked as the boars disappeared. I guess my training paid off. Checking the loot very quickly I was excited that I had already found two of the three tusks I needed. Looking around I gave my axe a few more test swings. As I stood there I had flashbacks to the last boars I had fought. Their horrible eyes, and their twisted snouts with their tusks trying to gore me as I ducked and dodged away trying to swing with my sword. With no armor, and only the most basic starter weapon I had headed out into the wilds to try and level on the basic boars right outside town. Luckily I was rescued, almost dead, by a group of other players. They led me back to the Town of Beginnings and left me at one of the inns to recover. I hadn’t left town since until deciding to try Zackariah’s quest.

Even though these were very basic monsters for this quest, it still gave me a surge of confidence. After this I should go up against some stronger foes and try my luck. Looking around, I started looking for another place the pups would be. I began to circle around the Town sticking to the places near the wall that seemed similar to the place Lyle first led me. Wandering up and down through the hills avoiding the harder monsters, I kept thinking about that first experience. For weeks afterwards, I just stayed in the tavern where it was safe and panicked. After a while, I began to think of other ways I could help like becoming a blacksmith to help people on the front lines. I then had to work odd jobs to get enough col for the training. It had been just recently that I had started training with the axe and bought a suit of heavier armor to be ready for more serious questing.

I was and still am pretty scared of dying. The stakes of a game have never been higher than they were, but after shaking off the fear and then the depression of being stuck in this game where I can die, I have to do something. I wish I was the type to just sit around but if I’m left to my own devices with nothing to do it drives me crazy. Even wanting to be a master craftsman meant I had to venture beyond the safety of the walls of the Town eventually to find better and better materials. Once I realized that nothing in this game would let me just stay behind the safety of the walls I decided to gear up. Here I was, ready to move up the ranks. I wasn’t exactly hyped yet to join the front lines, but if I could at least keep up with them and keep them supplied with the best gear I could make I will feel like I am doing my part.

ENERGY REFILLED TO FULL. 

As my energy topped off I shook my head and realized I had been wandering through the fields rather aimlessly. At this rate I’d get myself in over my head again fighting something crazy! Snapping out of my reverie I began to look around again for the boar pups for their tusks. I noticed a group of four of them not far off, and suddenly without a thought I was in motion, swinging my axe in a slash across the first boar. It was a solid hit! The first boar reeled back, but in my enthusiasm I hadn’t kept track of his friends. One after one each of them slammed into me, driving me back a few steps each time. Luckily my armor helped me shrug off most of the blows but it still left me off balance for a moment. Quickly recovering I set my feet for the next attack.

Combat Round 1:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111084
    •  Battle: 8 (Hit!)
    •  MOB: 2 (Miss!)
  • ID# 111085
    •  MOB: 7 (Hit!)
  • ID# 111086
    •  MOB: 7 (Hit!)
  • ID# 111087
    •  MOB: 6 (Hit!)
  • Mortambo HP: 97/100 EN: 9/10 (-3 HP) (-1 EN)
    • Basic Attack: 3 DMG to Boar 1 
  • Boar 1 HP: 2/5 (-3 HP)
  • Boar 2 HP 5/5
    • Attack: 3 DMG -17 MIT = 1 DMG
  • Boar 3 HP 5/5
  • Boar 4 HP 5/5

Edited by Mortambo

As I planned my next move, the boars all began to circle around into a half moon shape around me. Well it worked so well last time, I prepared the beginning of the Crescent Thrush Sword Art and leaped forward as the boars charged me to release a massive sideways slash that would hit all of them at once. At the last moment I realized I misjudged the distance and my slash sped by inches from the boars faces. They finished their charges into me and this time bowled me over goring me with their horns. Still not much worse for wear thanks to the armor and my training, I staggered back to my feet in time for each of them to turn around and set themselves to charge again. This was certainly turning into a much more interesting fight. My energy bar blinked at me in the red, I guess that means I’m stuck with basic attacks for now.

Combat Round 2: 

Spoiler

Mortambo uses Crescent Thrush on all 4 Boar Pups

• ID 111088
    • Battle: 4 (Mortambo misses!)
    • MOB: 7 (Boar Pup 1 hits!)
  • ID 111089
    • Battle: 3 (Mortambo misses!)
    • MOB: 7 (Boar Pup 2 hits!)
  • ID 111090
    • Battle: 4 (Mortambo misses!
    • MOB: 10 (Boar Pup 3 critically hits! +2 DMG )
  • ID 111091
    • Battle: 3 (Mortambo misses!)
    • MOB: 8 (Boar Pup 4 hits!)
  • Mortambo HP: 93/100 EN: 0/10 (-4 HP) (-10 EN)
  • Boar Pup 1 HP: 2/5
    • Attack: 3 DMG - 17 MIT = 1 DMG
  • Boar Pup 2 HP: 5/5
  • Boar Pup 3 HP: 5/5
    • Attack: 5 DMG - 17 MIT = 1 DMG
  • Boar Pup 4 HP: 5/5

Edited by Mortambo

Darting forward, I went to slash the already wounded boar with a basic attack. It might not have been the smartest thing to blow all my energy in a single attack like that but well…this was all a learning experience right? Luckily, these monsters were just for the practice quest so they weren’t really hurting yet.  The first boar de-rezzed and the others continued charging. I managed to dodge one and the other two slammed him back a few steps again. Shaking it off, I set my feet and got ready to attack again. Very impressed by how well my armor was holding up, I scanned the boars as they set themselves for my next target. All three were fresh and ready to go, so it doesn’t matter much but I still set my sights on one of them and charged forward again to meet them in battle again.

Combat Round 3:

Spoiler
  • ID 111092
    •  Battle: 8 (HIT!)
    •  MOB: 9 (CRITICAL HIT)
  • ID 111093
    • MOB: 9 (CRITICAL HIT)
  • ID 111094
    • MOB: 7 (HIT)
  • ID 111095
    • MOB: 4 (MISS)
  • Mortambo HP: 91/100 EN: 0/10 (-2 HP) (-1 EN)
    • Basic Attack: 3 DMG to Boar Pup 1
  • Boar Pup 1 HP: 0/5 (-3 HP)(DEAD)
    • Attack: 4 DMG -17 MIT = 1 DMG (nullified by being killed by Mortambo)
  • Boar Pup 2 HP: 5/5
    • Attack: 4 DMG -17 MIT = 1 DMG 
    • Attack: 3 DMG -17 MIT = 1 DMG 

Loot Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111096
    •  Loot: 18
    • Results: 1 Boar Pup Tusk
  • Total Tusks: 3/3 

Edited by Mortambo

Running forward again, I slashed at the nearest Boar Pup and then tried to dodge out of the way of the other two. I mistimed my slash, but the spinning dodge motion did a great job of getting me completely out of the way of all three of the charging boars. I grunted in frustration and finished my spin and set myself as the boars rounded the area and set themselves again ready to charge. As I waited for my chance to attack again, I thought about what I could do better. Right now my options were limited since I was out of energy, but in the future conserving my energy is probably a much better tactic. The boars let out a frustrated huff the air rushing out of their noses raising up little clouds of dust. They began to charge again, their flanks heaving with exertion as they snorted and lowered their heads.

Combat Round 4:

Spoiler
  • ID 111097
    • BD: 1 (CRITICAL MISS!)
    • MOB: 2 (MISS!)
  • ID 111098
    • MOB: 4 (MISS!)
  • ID 111099
  • Mortambo HP: 91/100 EN: 0/10 (-1 EN)

Edited by Mortambo

As they charged, I tried the same move going for a slash on the first boar and spinning out of the way of the others. This time I misjudged the slash and the boar pup gored me with his horns. Stumbling back, I was caught off guard as another of the boars slammed into my back. I fell to my knees as the final boar narrowly missed me and took a shaky breath. That last hit had actually knocked my breath away some. Standing, and wiping a little blood away from my mouth I gripped my axe and squared my shoulders facing the wheeling boars again.  Gripping my axe I braced myself for the charging boars, and loosely set my stance to attack again. The red beady eyes of the boars seemed filled with rage and about midway across the intervening space and as they dropped their tusks to gore me again I leapt into action.

Combat Round 5:

Spoiler
  • ID 111100
    • Battle: 3 (MISS!)
    • MOB: 6 (HIT!)
  • ID 111101
    • MOB: 1 (CRITICAL MISS!)
  • ID 111102
    • MOB: 9 (CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
  • Mortambo HP: 89/100 EN: 0/10 (-2 HP) (-1 EN)
    • Attack: 4 DMG - 17 MIT = 1 DMG

Edited by Mortambo

I slashed again for the lead Boar Pup, this time my foot twisting which threw me completely off balance. This caused me to stumble out of the way of all three of their sets of tusks but I missed completely with my return strike. There was a small twist in my ankle but a sigh of relief escaped my lips. At least they missed me as well this time around. Shifting my weight off my ankle I waited for the pain to subside. Bracing myself again I spun around setting myself for the next charge. Quickly I looked around for anything that I could do to help this fight go more quickly. Looking around, the hilltop was nearly empty except for a couple of bushes. I guess I’ll just have to keep dodging around so I gritted my teeth and braced myself for the boar pups charging again.

Combat Round 6: 

Spoiler
  • ID 111103
    • Battle: 1 (CRITICAL MISS!) 
  • ID 111104
    • MOB: 4 (MISS!)
  • ID 111105
    • MOB: 4 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo HP: 89/100 EN: 0/10 (-1 EN)
  • Boar Pup 2 HP: 5/5

Edited by Mortambo

This time instead of a head on slash, I jumped to the side and slashed the first boar pup across the throat. It cried out as it de-rezzed and as I followed through my attack moved me through their charge lanes and safely out of the way. The two boar pups charged straight past me and flipped around very quickly setting themselves for another charge. This time I recovered very quickly and I set my stance again to try and pull the same dodge to the side and slash. The two boar pups stamped their hooves on the ground as they lowered their tusks for another charge. Their beady red eyes still burned with anger as they snorted and tossed their heads as they began to charge again. Hoping the same move would work again I tensed ready to dodge to the side and hit the leading Boar Pup with my axe.  

Combat Round 7:

Spoiler
  • ID 111108
    • Battle: 10 (CRITICAL HIT! +2 DMG)
    • MOB: 1 (MISS!)
  • ID 111109
    • MOB: 4 (MISS!)
  • ID 111110
  • Mortambo HP: 89/100 EN: 0/10
    • Attack (Critical Hit): DMG 5 to Boar Pup 2
  • Boar Pup 2 HP: 0/5 (-5 HP) (DEAD)

Loot Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111111
    •  Loot: 20
    • Results: 1 Boar Pup Tusk
  • Total Tusks: 4/3 

Edited by Mortambo

Jumping to the side again, and performing the side slash into Boar Pup 3 I once again avoided both of the Boar Pups charges. Boar Pup 3 was a little thrown off and hurt, skidding to the side and stopping to pant a little before shaking its head and turning to face me again. Boar Pup 4 just spun around but this time they were coming at me in an X pattern rather than parallel lines. Bracing myself, I tried to think of a way to react to this new attack pattern. Maybe if I faced them head on, it would risk getting hit but it would let me get a good solid chance to strike back. As they stomped their hooves and lowered their tusks to charge, I set myself to slash the already injured Boar Pup and then jump aside at the last minute before the last one hit me.  

Combat Round 8:

Spoiler
  • ID 111112
    • Battle: 6 (HIT!)
    • MOB: 3 (MISS!)
  • ID 111113
  • Mortambo HP: 89/100 EN: 0/10
    • Attack: DMG 3 to Boar Pup 3
  • Boar Pup 3 HP: 2/5 (-3 HP)

Edited by Mortambo

I darted forward and slashed at Boar Pup 3 and as I did I immediately jumped back reflexively hopefully out of the way of the charge. The Boar Pup let out a squeal as it de-rezzed and I let out a brief sigh of relief until I suddenly was slammed into by the last remaining Boar Pup. Stumbling back and grunting I briefly saw stars. As I shook my head to banish them I saw the Boar Pup was doing the same thing. It immediate flipped around and started running away so it could get to a safe distance to try and charge again. With just one left, I just set myself to attack. This should be easy now. Hopefully, I can head back to Lyle soon and get this quest finished. The boar turned around at an easy lope and then quickly lowered his tusks and sped up to full charging speed.

Combat Round 9:

Spoiler
  • ID 111114
    • Battle: 6 (HIT!)
  • ID 111115
    • MOB: 10 (CRITICAL HIT! DMG +2)
  • Mortambo HP: 89/100 EN: 0/10 (-1 HP) (-1 EN)
    • Attack: DMG 3 to Boar Pup 3
  • Boar Pup 3 HP: 0/5 (-3 HP) (DEAD)
    • Attack: DMG 5 - 17 MIT = 1 DMG

Loot Roll: 

Spoiler
  • ID 111116
    •  Loot: 2
    • Results: No Tusks Found

Edited by Mortambo

Falling into a groove now, I easily sidestepped the Boar Pup’s charge and slashed him in the side. The Boar Pup flew to the side and landed in a heap his flanks heaving as he gasped in pain. Slowly it got up and began to circle me to try and find an advantage. It snorted and lowered its head, the beady little eyes narrowing to see if it still had a chance to attack me. After a moment of circling, and with me not backing down, it suddenly cut and run to go for another charge. Quickly lowering his tusks, it came at me in full ramming speed. Bracing myself, I was hoping of ending this quickly. So bring it on Boar Pup, I’m not afraid of you monsters anymore. I got ready to sidestep again to slash the Boar Pup with my axe for the final time.

Combat Round 10:

Spoiler
  • ID 111114
    • Battle: 9 (CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
  • Mortambo HP: 88/100 EN: 0/10  (-1 EN)
    • Attack: DMG 4 to Boar Pup 4
  • Boar Pup 4 HP: 1/5 (-4 HP)

Edited by Mortambo

As the final Boar Pup charged, the timing was so easy now. Time seemed the slow as I stepped out of the Boar’s charge lane and I slashed downward making the Boar Pup slam into the ground and de-rez. Panting from a final surge of adrenaline, I gathered the loot from the kills and added them to my inventory. Taking stock very quickly, even though my energy was tapped and I had to use basic attacks to take most of the Pups out in this fight, my armor held up great. I waited a little just to be sure I had calmed back down before I started on my way back towards the Town. I had gotten all the Tusks Lyle needed for his work and hopefully he could teach me a trick or two about blacksmithing when I returned to him as well. I was rather excited to learn from him.

Combat Round 11:

Spoiler
  • ID 111118
  •  Battle: 9 (CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
  •  MOB: 4 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo HP: 88/100 EN: 0/10  (-1 EN)
    • Attack: DMG 4 to Boar Pup 4
  • Boar Pup 4 HP: 0/5 (-4 HP) (DEAD)

Loot Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111119
    •  Loot: 10
    • Results: No Tusks Found

Edited by Mortambo

As I wandered back through the hills, I began to replay the battles I had just experienced in my head trying to analyze them to see what I could do better. It hadn’t gone horribly wrong, but I think that was mostly because these were starter quest monsters. They didn’t seem to hit very hard, but it had been very good practice at actual combat. I think I had done fine interpreting and predicting the boar’s movements. There had been a few missteps tripping over myself but after a while I settled into a good and natural rhythm of attack and dodge back and forth. Lost in his own thoughts, he hardly noticed wandering back through the hills until he saw the gates of the Town of Beginnings. Standing before them I realized that passing through these gates had always been a horrible source of anxiety. But now, I felt nothing but excitement and relief to be home.

Though I was tired, I immediately headed through the winding streets to Lyle’s workshop. Stopping briefly, I got a roll of hard bread to munch on at one of the vendors. It was strange wandering the streets after being afraid of fighting the monsters outside for so long. I almost felt too…big…for this place. I felt like I had begun to outgrow it. Finding myself once again in front of Lyle’s door I knocked. “Oi, what do you want?” Lyle exclaimed as he opened the door. “Oh it’s you again. Did you bring my Tusks?” he continued. “Yes, sir, I have them right here, and an extra one dropped from the last group I fought so you can have that too.” “Well thank you, lad. You can have any weapon or armor you see along my walls,” Lyle replied easily, “but I do have one final request. Well a favor to an old man really.”

“What can I do for you, sir?” I responded. “Well there’s this girl Hannah, she makes jewels and rings and all kinds of crafts. In one of the gardens on the eastern side of the Town you can find her. If you could take this,” Lyle said as he slid a small package across the table, “to her then I would be eternally grateful. It’s quite a walk for my old bones.” I responded, “No problem, sir. I will do it immediately.” Lyle smiled, “You’ve made this old man very happy today. Now get out of here so I can be grumpy again!” I smiled back and looked over the weapons and armor picking up set of Heavy Armor that seemed like it would do a great job protecting him before taking his leave. With a contented smile, he started heading towards the Eastern side of the Town to find the garden where Hannah was to deliver this package.

Thread Summary:

Spoiler
  • Standard:
    • 1 SP 
    • 400 col
  • Quest:
    • 1 Tier One Heavy Armor with one(1) slot mitigation
    • Potion of Safeguard for use in the quest <<The Third Lesson, Is Just as Free >>
    • 2 SP
  • Totals:
    • 3 SP
    • 400 Col
    • 1 Tier One Heavy Armor with one(1) slot mitigation
    • Potion of Safeguard for use in the quest <<The Third Lesson, Is Just as Free >>

Edited by Mortambo