[SP-F1] Collapse

Shiro ran, ran from all the pain, all the emotions, all the hatred. The garden he had spent so much time in with those two grew smaller behind him and his legs just wouldn’t stop. He wanted to. He wanted to come to a screeching halt and spin on his heel to see if she was okay. He wanted to be there to make sure nothing happened to her, but something kept pulling him away. Pain. His feet felt like weights. His arms swung like logs as he pushed himself to the very limits of his speed. Run. Keep going. The pain won’t catch you if you’re fast enough. He took step after step, throwing himself deeper down the rabbit hole and hoping to never have to climb out.

6... 6 days since he last slept. No... more. He had lost count at this point. It all seemed to blur together to the point that he had no idea how long he had been running. His feet start to hurt, and his eyes feel incredibly heavy. No... no sleep. No wasting time. I can’t. I won’t. He shakes his head and keeps pushing himself. Every step sent a shockwave up his leg, like stepping on a live wire with wet feet. His eyes felt like someone was lighting them on fire and blowing that fire out over and over again.

Keep going.

He had reached the edge. There was no where left for him to run. Looking up he could see the bottom of the next floor, and he shivered in fear. That was where he met her, so if he could, he would avoid it as best he can. His right foot shoots out and he turns right in an instant. He was now following the edge of the map. Why did that stupid Ares have to show up? Why couldn’t it have just been her and I? A tear falls down his cheek. Why didn’t I stay? Why didn’t I keep my chin up and ask for that walk she owes me? Why don’t I stop and go back? Would she forgive me? Stop. Stop. Stop now. Turn around. Backtrack. Apologise...

Keep going.

His pain culminates into a spear on his back that he spins out and pushes into the ground. Using the momentum of himself and the reach of his spear he pushes himself even faster than before, like a pole vault, but forward instead of up. His speed increases just a little more as he keeps doing the same move over and over again. Why? Why can’t I even bring myself to think of her name? Why can’t I think of her face? Why haven’t I stopped? Why haven’t I even checked to see if she’s mad at me? You can’t do this... you can’t

Keep going.

Edited by Huginn

His legs keep pushing, his eyes close and he keeps running until suddenly he realizes his eyes are closed and he opens them. I’m so tired and worn out. He thinks back to the last time he slept, but the image is all blurry and there’s no feeling attached to it. He can’t remember the last time he was in a room by himself.

Slowly his speed begins to drop, and his legs stop moving entirely. The warmth of the sun on his black jacket and his blue jeans makes him feel like he’s wrapped in a comfortable blanket on the couch of his house. Why did I have to put on that stupid nerve gear? He slams his fist into a nearby tree. The purple icon shows up and he reads it, scoffing a little and turning around, leaning against the tree. How long have I been running? Why haven’t I gone back to training yet? Why can’t I focus on the task at hand? He looks down at his hands, wondering what he was gonna do. Felli was keeping her distance, she knew when not to step in or intrude.

He leans forward and pushes himself off of the tree walking into the field and grabbing his spear. He wasn’t just gonna waste time thinking of a mistake he made.

—————————————————————

A drink is set in front of him. He stares at the condensation on the outside of the glass rolling down the side. Connection every droplet along a path that made no sense. He wondered why water acted so differently to everything else in this way. A solid would fall straight down, and a gas would just fill the room, why was liquid the only one to get to do whatever it wants? Is it stronger than everything else? Is it smarter? Is it lonelier? Why does it seek out the other droplets and drag them along? Maybe one day someone will do that with me. Maybe someday I’ll have someone to chase with a youthful vigor and a childish glee.

Quit being unrealistic.

Shiro grabs the glass, the cold glass presses against his lips sending a shiver down his spine. Why can’t I just go and talk to her? Why can’t I just make my way back to the garden? She should still be there. It hasn’t been that long. He slams his drink down, standing up and walking out of the tavern. A ways away he reaches a gate, walking out and into the wild. New players and faceless blobs pass him by as he makes his way towards the garden he had come from.

Through the brush and shrubbery, and the small open forest he cuts through and reaches the garden he had spent so long at. His eyes fall on a different group of players, playfully chasing each other through the field.

He looks around, searching frantically, and grabs his temples looking at the ground. His eyes widen and he realizes, it hasn’t just been a few hours. The days seemed to morph together, but then it comes to him. This isn’t the first time he’d been here since that day before, and come to the same exact conclusion. It’s been days, he lost so much time. He had reached the point of sleep deprivation where his days blur. Everything is a haze and his body is on the verge of forcing him to sleep.

Keep going.

A voice crept up in his mind, pushing him forward. A young player had approached him and tugged on his jacket.

”Mister... I’m cold and can’t find my dad.” A small girl, couldn’t be much older than 10, was asking for help. Even someone as cold as Shiro couldn’t just tell her to find him herself. Her white hair reminds him of someone he’s close to. She was crying, and like a mirror, Shiro followed suit...

Keep going. Don’t stop. Help her.

”I’ll help you find him.” A bright smile punctuates the statement as he kneels down next to her. His black sweatshirt comes off and slides over her head. “There... that should keep you warm until we find your dad.” He smiles brighter.

Edited by Huginn

She pulls down her hood and looks up and Shiro, wiping away her tears. “Thank you sir... mister, what’s your name? I’m Katsumi! You can call me kat.” She says so happily to the boy and he just smiles. Standing up he looks around and sees a grown man who looks worried. His sword moves back and forth as he fends off two wolves. Shiro’s spear materializes as he charges in next to the man. “Hello sir, is that your daughter over there?” He asks, the man nods and focuses on the wolf to his right. “I got this one sir.” Shiro claims, pulling his spear and spinning it. The blade on the end of the staff pierces the side of the dog as he kicks it.

The other man, Kat’s father had pulled his sword back and slashed at the monster, but his blade explodes into the blue pixels and his eyes fill with fear as he moves his view back to the child in the corner of the field.

Shiro quickly takes a stutter step. It was clear this man was low on health and not making it back to the tavern tonight. Damn it. I’m about to become a guardian aren’t I? He sighs and takes off running towards the girl, picking her up and holding her in a hug as he runs. He feels a wetness on his shoulder as he runs and tries to hide the horrific view from the girl, and he realizes she can see clearly what about to happen. His right foot plants itself and Shiro spins, running backwards and soaking the image into his brain. “It’s okay Kat. I’m sorry. I’ll keep you safe.” He says, a tear rolling down his cheek.

Keep going.

Edited by Huginn

His legs push him back to the safety of the town as he sets her down and places his hands on her shoulders. “Listen to me. Do you have any other friends? Anyone else who can protect you while you’re in the game?” He asks. The small girl shakes her head no, with tears still streaming down her face. What am I supposed to do? He asks, thinking to himself and then it hits him. He sets her on a bench, looks her in the eyes and says this, “Wait here, accept this and I’ll be back in a bit.” He says, looking at the nearest gate. It wasn’t far at all but it was far enough that being out in the field he couldn’t really see her all that well.

Standing up he walks down the street to the nearest food stand and buys a cookie, setting a small amount of col on the counter and taking the cookie back to his newest companion and sitting next to her on the bench. “You can stick with me for a while then. I’ll keep you safe.” He smiles gently at her as he pulls her in for a side hug.

”Thank you mister.” She says, her voice filled with sadness and sorrow, while she hugged him tightly. This hug brought nothing but joy to the young boy’s heart. He had a new goal, protect her as best he can until she can take care of herself. It was at this moment that Felli came down from the sky and floated around Kat playing with her a little. She giggles as the playful little flame flies around her in such a way it reminded him of a cat with a laser.