[F01 - PP] A Chance Encounter <<Nature's Treasure>>

"A knight, huh?"

Dederick's words trailed off a bit. A knight? How could he ever hope to share anything as impressive?

"That's really impressive. I had no idea people still did things like that. You have my admiration," he concluded, giving her a nod and a soft smile. "And your brother. Did he follow in your footsteps and work toward being knighted as well?"

There was a pause as he waited for her response. When the timing felt right, he moved on to explaining a few things about himself.

"Nothing quite as exciting for me. I don't have any siblings... at least, not that I know of. I was adopted by a chapel and raised there my entire life, living by the word of the Lord. When I reached adulthood, I was no longer permitted to stay. So I wandered around aimlessly from town to town, living purely off of the generosity of others as I did what I could to spread the word of God. Some days I didn't eat. Only very rarely was I graced with shelter for the night. But I persisted because I believed that it was God's plan for me."

"Eventually, an electronics store caught my eye. I knew that desiring such artificial artifacts was sinful in nature, but my curiosity got the best of me. Before I knew it, I was trapped here."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joanne let out a soft laugh as her eyes softened and a smile spread over her lips. "No. My brother did not follow in my footsteps at all. Quite the opposite actually. He was always amazing with computers and technology that I have no clue how to explain or operate." She turned to face Dederick. "In fact, he was the one who bought the nervegear that I'm trapped in in the real world. I well..." she blushed and looked away once more. "I was curious and decided to try the strange contraption on, even though I had no clue what it would do. And then suddenly I was here. It seemed amazing at first, but then you know how it all goes. We were all trapped here. . ." She rubbed her right arm with her left, a nervous habit. For a second, she seemed small despite being so tall and wearing a large suit of armor. But just as quick as she showed weakness, she brought a smile back to her face and listened to what Dederick had to say. 

Joanne listened intently, grasped by the tale of the man in front of her. "How very intriguing," she said once he had finished. "And honorable. You sacrificed much for the path you believed in. I respect your will and courage for that. My family read the bible and attended church as well, though I'm afraid we could all be a little more God-fearing people." The small smile returned to her lips. "Ah, it seems like curiosity got the best of the both of us then." 

@Dederick

A soft smile played across Dederick's face, but he lowered his eyes and looked elsewhere. "I appreciate the kind words, but the sacrifice wasn't my choice. If I'd had it my way, I would have stayed with the monks and continued studying," he admitted, casting a glance back toward the blonde. His pupils settled on a particular part of the iris of her left eye, where to smallest flake of pigment lingered amidst the blue coloration. It brought a smile to his face. How many people had a freckle on their eye?

Or maybe he was just imagining it.

"That being said, parts of me are glad that curiosity exists. That it led to this. There are so many things I would have never seen, so many aspects of life that would have been left misunderstood. People I would have never met." That last part was a little on the nose, and his expression surely showed it.

When his eyes trailed to what was behind her, he gripped the hilt of his sword once more. "Looks like we've got company," he remarked, motioning for Joanne to look back at the pair of boars that had just spawned. 

Joanne didn't want to pry too much, but she was also curious as to why the man wasn't still with the monks. She wanted to ask about it, but she considered it too forward of a question. Maybe as more time passed, he would tell her more of what had happened. Then he noticed his smile as he looked at her face. A small blush rose to her cheeks once more. Did she have something on her face or in her teeth?

When he talked about meeting people, she smiled as well. "Yes, I have also met quite a few new people in this game. They have all been so lovely and kind." 

Then she noticed his eyes behind her, and she turned to see what he was looking at. Re-equipping her helmet and unsheathing her sword, she stood battle ready. "You may take the first turn," she said to Dederick, a smile beneath her helmet. 

@Dederick

"Don't mind if I do," he chirped as he ran forward, blade humming with a cyan glow. He swung his sword forward in a wide arc, attempting to hit both swine with a single attack. To his chagrin, however, he only managed to hit one. You're not getting away from me... Using the momentum from his first swing, he swiftly swiveled on his heel and spun, delivering a second blow toward the second animal. Luckily enough, it managed to connect just before the timer on the Sword Art expired.

The boars didn't take kindly to this, squealing loudly and rearing back for instant retaliation. Dederick was able to get his shield out in front of the first attack, a blue hue transferring from the equipment into the beast that had struck it. The second boar was a bit more clever, however, and strafed around Dederick in an arc before charging. It rammed its tusks into his side, causing his frame to buckle a bit. Ultimately, his armor was firm enough to withstand the blow without actually taking much damage.

Spoiler

Encounter: Boar 5
HP: 50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3

Encounter: Boar 6
HP: 50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3

Spoiler

[H: 2 | 2] Dederick: HP: 60-1-1=58/60 | EN: 6-6=0/6 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 18 | THORNS: 28 | FIREPROOF | REGEN 1 | KEEN 2 | TAUNT 1
[H: 0 | 0] Joanna: HP: 20/20 | EN: 2/2 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 9 | BLEED 1

Dederick used [x2 AoE] Rage Spike, -2 EN

Boar 5: HP: 50-4-28=18/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | ID: 126885 | BD: 8, Hit for 2x2=4 DMG | 
KEEN ACTIVATES | MD: 6, Hit for 9-18=1 DMG | THORNS DEAL 28 DMG | REGEN ACTIVATES | -2 EN
Boar 6: HP: 50-4=46/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | ID: 126886 | BD: 2+4=6, Hit for 2x2=4 DMG | 
KEEN EXPIRES | MD: 9, Crit for 10-18=1 DMG | -2 EN
-6 ENERGY TOTAL

Joanne watched Dederick charge towards the boars, cheering for him in her head. The first hit landed perfectly, and he managed to land a second hit just in time. However when she saw the second boar come back around and hit him, she couldn't help herself from wincing and worrying a little bit about the man. 

But she knew that she didn't have enough time right now to keep worrying. She charged while she had the chance and lashed out at the third boar, nearly missing. These little guys were quick, and her heavy armor was slowing her down just a little bit. Unfortunately, her attack didn't do too much damage, but at least she had managed to tick off a few points of health. I'll need to attack quicker and with more efficiency if I want to do any real damage to themshe made note to herself. 

She looked back to Dederick, watching for his next move. 

@Dederick

Spoiler

basic attack vs. boar 3 (made a mistake and listed as basic attack vs. boar 1)
Roll ID#: 126931
BD: 3 + 3 = 6 success

[H: 2 | 2] Dederick: HP: 60-1-1=58/60 | EN: 6-6=0/6 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 18 | THORNS: 28 | FIREPROOF | REGEN 1 | KEEN 2 | TAUNT 1
[H: 1 | 0] Joanna: HP: 20/20 | EN: 1/2 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 9 | BLEED 1

vs. 

Boar 3: HP: 18-2 = 16/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3
Boar 4: HP: 46/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 

Edited by Joanne

Dederick noticed Joanne stiffen up a bit when the boar collided against his side with its tusks. He stood tall and held out his palm toward her, a gesture to stay calm. "Don't worry, I'm not in any danger. Watch." He stood still for a moment and allowed the boars to charge into him repeatedly, a metallic clang! ringing out each time their tusks scraped against the steely exterior of his armor. The health bar floating around his head would dip slightly with each of their attacks, then immediately jumped back up to full. His body was buffeted with every attack, but he stood strong and his expression remained cool and unchanged.

"I know that I'm not physically strong or a particularly good fighter, so I figured that I would be, at the very least, difficult to take down," he explained as he finally rose his shield to block one of the incoming attacks, which flashed blue upon impact and blasted the boar backward. "It just so happens there are ways to take advantage of that in this game."

Spoiler

[H: 2 | 2] Dederick: HP: 58+10=60-1-1=58/60 | EN: 0+1=1/6 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 18 | THORNS: 28 | FIREPROOF | REGEN 1 | KEEN 2 | TAUNT 1
[H: 1 | 0] Joanna: HP: 20/20 | EN: 2/2 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 9 | BLEED 1
Regen: Turn 1/3

Dederick used [x0] No Action, -0 EN

Boar 5: HP: 16/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | ID: 126972 | BD: x | MD: 9, Crit for 10-18=1 DMG
 | REGEN REFRESHED
Boar 6: HP: 46-28=18/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | ID: 126973 | BD: x | MD: 6, Hit for 9-18=1 DMG | 
THORNS DEAL 28 DMG

Edited by Dederick

Joanne's eyes grew wide as she saw the boars bounce off his armor and his health points just keep regenerating. "Wow," she muttered under her breath. She'd need to ask him how his armor and health points did that later. It was probably a special enchantment to the items he was using. 

She smiled, glad that he was safe. "I'm glad that you are not hurt. And I'm very impressed at your skill with strategy. That is something that I have not yet grasped with this game." She then faced the sixth boar, making it her target. 

She dashed forward taking a small chunk of flesh off of the boar's shoulder. However, the slice was still not deep enough to cause too much damage. She jumped back next to Dederick. "I instead use the swordsmanship and armor skills I learned in real life and try to apply them to the game. Strike hard and fast."

@Dederick

Spoiler

basic attack vs. boar 6
Roll ID#: 127031
BD: 3 + 3 = 6

[H: 2 | 2] Dederick: HP: 58/60 | EN: 0+1=1/6 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 18 | THORNS: 28 | FIREPROOF | REGEN 1 | KEEN 2 | TAUNT 1
[H: 1 | 1] Joanna: HP: 20/20 | EN: 1/2 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 9 | BLEED 1

Boar 5: HP: 16/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | ID: 126972 | BD: x | MD: 9, Crit for 10-18=1 DMG
 | REGEN REFRESHED
Boar 6: HP: 18-2 = 16/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | ID: 126973 | BD: x | MD: 6, Hit for 9-18=1 DMG | 
THORNS DEAL 28 DMG

Edited by Joanne

Strike hard and fast. Dederick never learned any such skills in the real world - instead, he relied upon the game to move his body for him. It was pathetic, to a certain extent, but it kept him alive. "I see," he remarked coolly, putting up his shield as the boars prepared for the next round of attacks. "It seems we have very different styles of fighting. But perhaps that's what makes us such a good team, no?"

When the boars rushed him, he was ready. He took a knee and planted his shield into the ground between himself and the beasts, bracing for impact and shoving the sheet of metal forward when they made contact. A blue flash pulsed from the shield and through their bodies, causing them both to combust into clouds of blue confetti instantly. He stood and regarded his partner once more.

"I've heard people say that those with similar 'builds' shouldn't party together in this game because you typically need more variety to get the job done. You think we should prove them wrong?"

Spoiler

[H: 2 | 2Dederick: HP: 58+10=60-1-1=58/60 | EN: 1+1=2/6 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 18 | THORNS: 28 | FIREPROOF | REGEN 1 | KEEN 2 | TAUNT 1
[H: 1 | 1Joanna: HP: 20/20 | EN: 2/2 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 9 | BLEED 1
Regen: Turn 1/3

Dederick used [x0] No Action, -0 EN

Boar 5: HP: 16-28=0/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | ID: 127050 | BD: x | MD: 3+3=6, Hit for 9-18=1 DMG | 
THORNS DEAL 28 DMG | REGEN REFRESHED | Boar 5 defeated
Boar 6: HP: 16-28=0/50 | DMG: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -3 | ID: 127051 | BD: x | MD: 3+3=6, Hit for 9-18=1 DMG | 
THORNS DEAL 28 DMG | Boar 6 defeated

Looting:
Boar 5
ID: 127052
LD: 10 / CD: 6
450 col
(1) T1 Material
(1) T1 Rare Trinket [ID: 127052]

Boar 6
ID: 127053
LD: 19 / CD: 7
200 col
(5) T1 Materials
(1) T1 Perfect Armor/Shield [ID: 127053A]
(1) T1 Perfect Trinket [ID: 127053B]

Edited by Dederick

Joanne smiled and clapped as the boars perished against Dederick's shield. "It still amazes me that even a shield does so much damage in this game. I really want to get a shield as soon as I can to add to my arsenal." 

When Dederick asked if they should prove them wrong, a determined expression came to her face. "Let's prove them wrong. I personally think we make a great team." She un-equipped her helmet and sheathed her sword. She walked over to Dederick and put her hand on his shoulder. "For my first time in this game, I have enjoyed battle with another player. I appreciate that you let me accompany you today. I hope you enjoyed yourself as well." 

She took a deep breath in and un-equipped her armor as well. She was wearing a baggy, white work shirt and jeans with brown boots on. "Sorry for looking so casual," she apologized. "That armor was getting a little bit stuffy." She laughed lightly. 

@Dederick

"I definitely have. This happens to be my first time fighting alongside another, as well. It's a strangely liberating experience."

Upon seeing Joanne strip her armor, Dederick decided to do the same. He opened his menu and navigated to the equipment panel, tapping on all of his equipped items to de-equipping them. The rush of cool air against his exposed skin sent a wave of relief across his entire body, and he could feel the tenseness in his muscles loosening instantly. Hidden beneath the armor was a plain navy blue shirt, tucked neatly beneath the hem of his jet black jeans. Ordinary sneakers - blue with white accents - wrapped around his feet at the bottom.

He rose his arms into the air and stretched, arching his back and allowing a few unflattering strained noises to escape through his slightly parted lips. "That being said, I'm still amazed how much fighting in this game wears me out," he remarked as he allowed his arms to fall to his sides. "I've seen people come into these fields and slaughter entire pastures of mobs within minutes. Then, without skipping a beat, they march right on over to the next spawning ground and do it all over again. They can do this for hours without breaking a sweat, monopolizing all of the experience and loot for themselves. It's equally impressive as it is frustrating."

Joanne was glad that Dederick was enjoying fighting along side her as much as she enjoyed fighting along him. She glanced over as she saw him un-equip his armor. His clothing looked nice and casual. She tried to stifle a giggle when he made the odd stretching noises, finding them a tad funny. 

She decided to follow suit and began stretching while listening to him talk. "Ah, yes. The fighting doesn't wear me out nearly as quickly as it did in the real world, but it is quite a tiring affair. It must be because we're so inexperienced and of such low level. That must be why we tire out so easily." She gave Dederick an encouraging smile. "But I know we can both rise up in levels quickly if we keep at it like this." 

She took out her sword and held it out with one hand, her arm not even quivering. "Back home, I did this for hours when I first started learning how to fight with a sword. I kept practicing until I could hold the sword up for a complete hour without letting it droop. And then two. Then three." She stood there, holding the sword, thinking back to her childhood. 

@Dederick

Three hours of standing still holding a sword? That sort of dedication and discipline was magnificent. At first it seemed strange to Dederick that someone would put themself through that, but his thoughts couldn't help but drift back to his early years at the chapel. One hour of silent prayer a day became two, and then three, then four. Before he knew it there were entire days he would do nothing more than pray. Wake up, silently talk to God, then go back to bed.

Though, if he were being honest with himself, he didn't pray the entire time. There was simply no way to fill that much time with words in a one-way conversation. Dederick had never heard the Lord talk back to him, after all. Only those who had been practicing God's path their entire lives could boast that.

"That's impressive - few would have the resolve to commit to something like that. If nobody told you in the past, I'm proud of you for it."

Joanne couldn't help but blush at the praise. "Thank you, Dederick," she said while sheathing her sword. "I am proud of you as well for your dedication with spreading God's word. It is quite a hard mission indeed in the world's current condition." She took a moment to stretch, pondering about what they should do next. Then her stomach began to growl. Her face flushed in embarrassment. "M-my apologies. It seems all that fighting actually made me a bit hungry." She laughed and looked up at the sky. It seemed about noon now, and she had been training and fighting since 6 that morning. 

"Um, would it be okay if we headed back to the main city and got some lunch?" Her stomach grumbled once more, her face growing even redder. "It seems my stomach is quite adamant about getting some food soon. My apologies if I am interrupting your plans or becoming a burden because of this." She bowed her head in apology. 

@Dederick

Dederick pondered her suggestion for a moment before inevitably nodding.

"Food sounds good," he remarked plainly, looking back toward the Town of Beginnings. "I actually know a good place. The owner's a total goofball, but the food is top notch. Follow me, I'll show you the way."

By the time they made it back to town, some time had passed - probably an hour or so. When you're out there mowing down mobs, it's easy to lose track of yourself and stray further away from safety than you might mean to. In this case, an hour walking in a straight line was what it took to get back to safety. It was fortunate they hadn't run into anything that was actually threatening.

Dederick navigated through the winding streets of the Town of Beginnings, leading the pair to a more questionable area of town. It was seedy, run down, adn vagrants wadnered from corner to corner. Eventually, they made their way down an alley where a set of twin shops resided; The Crusty Bahrnacle and Oscar's Hot Dog Stand.

"I know it seems weird, but trust me - it's good."

Joanne was on high alert as they made their way through a not-so-safe part of town. She had re-equipped her armor, and her hand rested on her sword, always at the ready. She trusted Dederick, but she didn't trust the other people in this area. Still wanting to protect Dederick (even though she knew he could hold his own), she stood by his side the whole time, ready to take down any distasteful people that would try to harm them. 

She looked down at Dederick questioningly when he told her to trust him. "All right," she replied, stifling a sigh. Things were sketchy in this area, and she felt like they were being watched from the shadows. She scanned the area as best she could, but she still felt as if someone was still watching them. Then they reached a set of shops. She read the signs. "Oscar's Hot Dogs huh?" she asked. "Haven't had a proper hot dog in quite a while. Especially not since joining the game." She was surprised that she hadn't heard of the place before. Though, she never did go to this part of the town anyways. 

@Dederick

"It's a pretty nice spot. The guy who owns the store right next to it is nice as well, he's always giving free stuff out to newbies. You wouldn't be able to tell from his demeanor, but... I think he has a soft spot for people in need."

As they ventured into the shop, a bell that was attached to the threshold of the entryway rang out in protest to the door being opened. A blond goofball stood patiently behind the corner with a pen pad, eagerly awaiting their order. "I'll take one of my regulars, Oscar. Add whatever she's getting to my tab." Dederick waited patiently for Joanne to order before meandering over to a nearby table, pulling back one of the chairs and inviting her to sit. Once she had, he circled around to the adjacent side and took as seat of his own.

"I understand that it isn't exactly fine dining, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what this man is capable of. I've never experience mystery meat cylinders quite like the ones he produces."

Joanne looked around the shop, her eyes settling on the blond man with the pen pad. After Dederick had placed his order, she paused and took a moment to think. "Uh... I'll have a polish hot dog with relish, mustard, and ketchup." She didn't like to add much to her hot dogs. Just nice and simple so that she could still taste the meat itself.

After ordering, she followed Dederick over and sat in the chair that he pulled out and offered her. "Thank you, Dederick," she said, smiling. How polite of him, she thought to herself. She hadn't met any other player with proper manners. When she heard the words "mystery meat cylinders" leave his mouth, she began to question her decision on what she ordered. Her eyes widened a small amount. "Um, mystery meat? Do-do you know what he puts in them?" 

She was mildly worried, but in the end she figured that if anything in the game was going to kill her, hot dogs would probably be at the end of the list. 

@Dederick

"Not a clue," Dederick admitted toward her inquiry, "but they're really good."

Quick on the draw as ever, Oscar had their food out to them in a jiff. Joanne's had relish, while the ketchup and mustard sat nestled within a console of sorts that atop all of the tables in the restaurant, featuring a menu that mad - you guessed it - more hot dogs. Dederick's hot dog was only marginally more complex, chili and cheese smathered over it. The scent of the twin dogs filled Dederick's nostrils, a much needed reward after a hard day of fighting boars alongside a beautiful woman.

Wonder if it was boar that Oscar put in these? That was the most plentiful resource around these parts.

"Thank you, Oscar," he said as the blond scuttled away, toward the back of house to do whatever it was that Oscars did. His eyes flickered down to the succulent hot dog sitting before him, and then again back to Joanne. "If you don't hold back, I won't either," Dederick said with a grin as he scooped up the sultry dog and took a huge bite, bits of chili and cheese clinging to his face right around his mouth. He may have been raised in the house of the Lord, but when it came to shoving meat into his mouth, he went all out.

Joanne's widened as she watched Dederick eat with such enthusiasm. She picked up her hot dog and took a moment to look at it. It looked okay, and she'd probably eaten worse in the real world. She bravely took a bite, half fearful that there would be a crunch when she bit in. To her surprise, the hot dog tasted pretty good and not toxic at all. As she was devouring her hot dog, she looked over at Dederick. She couldn't help but giggle as she noticed the mess of chili and cheese around his lips. Reaching over, she wiped around his mouth with a napkin gently, dabbing carefully. She had done this instinctively without thinking. But after a moment, she realized what she had done and pulled back quickly. "I-i am so so sorry!" she said, stuttering and blushing profusely. "I-i just meant to help! I didn't mean to um, y-you know..." she trailed off as her voice failed her. She hoped that she hadn't offended Dederick at all with her actions. 

@Dederick