[F02-SP] Watch This Clown -- <<Breaking the Unbreakable>>

Let's go back two years.

In the beginning, there was Basuke. He was only a simple boy. In his hands, a simple sword. On his body, some basic light armor. If you were wondering why he'd only had subpar equipment, it's because of the following:

1. When he started the game, Basuke was gifted with a beginner's package.

2. From his selection, he noticed one of the items had a larger number than the others.

3. Not knowing what the item was, he thought aloud, "Bro, I'm gonna be rich!" and selected the support package.

4. End scene.

This would mark only the start of Basuke's long chain of unfortunate mishaps. Since the poor boy couldn't understand much of the world nor the language he was in, fate most likely had fun spinning him in circles.

Today we start with one such scenario. In fact, it marks the beginning of Basuke's whole journey into the world of SAO. You might be wondering why he's a little late to the party, and for those of you who are, here is your answer:

For the past two years, Basuke had been busy, trapped on Floor 2, punching a rock.

"TODAY'S THE DAY I FINALLY BEAT YOU TO THE GROUND YOU [censored] ROCK!!!"

Welcome to SAO, Basuke.

Spoiler

B A S U K E

Lv. 1 | HP: 20 | EN: 2 | DMG: 1 | ACC: -- | EVA: -- | MIT: --

- - - - -

Skills:

1. 1H Straight Sword | RANK: 1/5 | +1 DMG | ! No 1H Straight Sword Equipped!

Equipment:

1. [T1E0] Standard-issue Armor
  2. - - -
  3. - - -

Battle-Ready Inventory:

1. x3 | Starter Healing Potions | Heals 50 HP
  2. x1 | [T1E0] Standard-issue Blade
  3. - - -
  4. - - -
  5. - - -
Edited by Basuke
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the present, Basuke howled, with a loud, "HYAAAAAAAAAA--", swinging his fist at the rock. Oh, he made an impact. One singular point of damage. May Cardinal bless him with never-breaking fingers.

While that buffoon smacks that rock, let's go back two years again.

- - -

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSS!!!!" The boy exclaimed, pumping his fists straight up into the air. Basuke had just entered the game and was standing right in the middle of the spawn point. Face scrunched, feet spread. This man was a walking advertisement for branded goods that the digital could only form knock offs of, but he was living it.

"Yooooo! What's up, world?!" He yelled, becoming a public nuisance as players in the vicinity began staring at this mad lad. "S-A-O your-maker-comes!" With wild abandon, he shamelessly began bouncing around, before sprinting off elsewhere in town, hands trailing behind his back.

- - -

"How do you like that, rock?!" The idiot taunted. "You better feel ashamed of yourself, 'cause you're going down! Haha!" Basuke galloped around it, with major excitement. "A punch a day, m'dude!"

He sure is a bit much, isn't he...?

ID: 129775 | BD: 8
Basic Attack vs Rock. (-1 DMG)

The Boulder | HP: 49/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Basuke | Lv. 1 | HP: 20/20 | EN: 1/2 (-1) | DMG: 1

Edited by Basuke

He sprinted, feeling the wind against his face, his lips widening to a grin. Basuke enjoyed the sensations, this whole new experience in a virtual world become real -- and the self deserving praise he was honouring himself with. Bet these guys never had this back home, he sneered, thinking about the implications. Through the streets, the alleyways, he'd leap and scream and shout, making his mark on the first players who logged into the world.

And then his excitement disappeared, as lights around him went off. It enveloped him too, stopping him in his tracks, his face wearing a frown now.

What gives?

- - -

"I'm not letting you take another day of my life, buddy! These lines are coming off! My face!" Basuke hollered, gesturing madly at the inanimate object, oblivious to anything around him. His fingers traced the now-dry face paint on his cheeks, grimacing with irritation -- and determination -- before looking down at his fingers for what might've been the 300th time. No luck there, Basuke.

ID: 129797 | BD: 3
Basuke missed!

The Boulder | HP: 49/50 | EVA: -2

Basuke | Lv. 1 | HP: 20/20 | EN: 0/2 (+1, -2) | DMG: 1

Edited by Basuke

When the red goo and robes hung down from the sky, the azure blues changing to a bloody crimson red, a voice booming and a figure looming over them...

... Basuke thought it was a welcoming event.

No, no. He's not that daft. But he was under that impression for a bit. His command over the common spoken language of the game upon release wasn't amazing, but he definitely tried to understand it.

Something something death game, right?

He watched on, grinning incredulously whilst the red robed figure turned and the voice boomed over them. When it faded, and the sky had its colour restored, did everyone act in a panic, and Basuke felt like he had missed something in the bigger picture.

- - -

"HAAAAAAAAAAA--" An extreme, dull and brutal anger gave rise to a strained scream as Basuke swung yet again at the rock. This smash was more promising than the last, knocking away a much more significant portion of the boulder's health. He smirked, feeling proud of himself, before getting ready for another hit.

ID: 129862 | BD: 10
Basuke attacks The Boulder!
1 + 2 = 3 DMG

The Boulder | HP: 46/50 (-3) | EVA: -2

Basuke | Lv. 1 | HP: 20/20 | EN: 0/2 (+1, -1) | DMG: 1

Edited by Basuke

It was supposed to be an exclusive event. One for only the most avid of players, the first few, the best of the best.

So why...?

English voices all around him spoke with anxiety, of dissatisfaction, and Basuke didn't understand any of it. There were too many voices, speaking too quickly, too hushed and too mixed to make anything out of it. Did something wrong happen? Like the admins coming down to shun everyone for being early? That couldn't be it.

Someone screamed. People started hollering and crying. Basuke stood, dumbfounded, lost and confused. What happened?

The crowd was shifting, moving, and he was swept along it. "Hey, wait--" he tried to excuse himself, but couldn't. Players ushered themselves out the town square, and he was shoo'd outside with them.

- - -

A simple direct hit. Smash! Basuke felt the impact numb his fingers. He shook his hand, trying to chill the pain off. Not a bad attempt, really.

ID: 129864 | BD: 7
Basuke attacks The Boulder! (-1 HP)

The Boulder | HP: 45/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

He found out why eventually.

He could navigate within his menus with ease, for sure. The whole incident caused him to become nervous with worry, so he tried leaving the game.

He couldn't.

I mean. We all already know that, right?

As Basuke slunk down a building wall, looking at the menu devoid of a sign out button, his breathing quickened and slowed. Trying to calm down. Find a sense of meaning behind it. Coming to terms with the truth.

The sun began to set a brilliant medley of red, pink and purple. And Basuke had a panic attack, in the middle of an alley, running the scenario in his mind. Yes, he got what he wanted -- exclusivity of the highest degree -- for a price. You know what they say about wishes, right?

- - -

One more punch for today, Basuke figured, muttering a curse. He'd learned it from the two years of progress he'd made. What was once a larger, taller boulder was now whittled down to a smaller, rounded rock. While other players might be bigger, larger, stronger than he was...

At least he was persistent, and that was his own strength.

ID: 129865 | BD: 9
1 + 1 = 2 DMG

The Boulder | HP: 43/50 (-2) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

The beast kicked at the rock, not really intended to damage it, but its health trickled down the bar anyway. Satisfying. Basuke couldn't help but grin wolfishly, bouncing up and down in excitement.

"You heard it here from me, rock!" He spat, smirking. "I promised you, you were gonna go down, buddy, and I make good on my promises!" Laughing and giggling, the boy brushed his feet against it once more, just for kicks, before running off somewhere else. He's gotta have a break once in a while, y'know?

- - -

It had been two days before he accepted it. A relatively quick hold to truth, as far as players had gone. Multiple names had begun to scrawl themselves out on the memorial. Basuke took a day, having passed out on the floor in town on the first, before moving over to the gravestone the very next.

And he watched the stone etch out more and more words on itself.

ID: 129866 | BD: 9
1 + 1 = 2 DMG

The Boulder | HP: 41/50 (-2) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

The sun set, and it rose again. Early in the morning, showing up was his plan. Basuke jogged over, refreshed and and excited. The facilities Urbus offered was slightly more than what the Town of Beginnings promised as of recent, yet paranoia and habit chased most refugees out from advancing to floors higher than one. On the other hand, Basuke was too ignorant to know of such a culture, anyway.

"TI! NY! ROCK!" He exclaimed, seeing the grey come into view. "YOU'RE GOING DOWN! FEAR ME!" With a fever pitch kick, he knocked off a portion of the rock's health once more. Basuke jumped for joy. "WOOOO!!!!!"

- - -

The memorial had become something like a spectator's gathering spot for players. Either in grief of excitement, refugees watched on, observing the names appear on the gravestone. Basuke was here for neither reasons, choosing to watch the moments go by instead as he deliberated on what he should do.

ID: 129867 | BD: 9
1 + 1 = 2 DMG

The Boulder | HP: 39/50 (-2) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

Without knowing the language too well, he could only put two and two together. And it really drove home the surrealism of the situation he found himself in.

People sobbed. People cried. People mourned over the loss of their loved ones. He knew, even with so many names, that each one meant a life lost. Too strong and burdened with getting out of the game. In life or death, they were forever immortalized with just a single word or phrase, defining their best efforts in coping, struggling and facing the death game head on.

They had taken action. Basuke hadn't. And right before noon, he had his answer.

- - -

Basuke tackled the rock once more. He'd tried lifting it up before, to no avail. Instead, this time he slapped the rock with both his hands, smacking it that way until he thought he saw a point of health slip off its health bar. His face lit up. One bit at a time.

ID: 129868 | BD: 7
Basuke attacks The Boulder! (-1 HP)

The Boulder | HP: 38/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

On him, he had equipped a simple blade. One press, and he donned a simple piece of armor. That was enough for Basuke to face against the world as he should.

Some watched him leave the hall of the unforgotten. It is said that a man finally picked up the determination to face the game head on, his silhouette glowing in the bright sunlight, his face chiseled with determination, and his clothing style wack as hell.

On that day, Basuke finally felt that he was ready to take on the death game.

- - -

He remembered the day he left the memorial hall, and felt his hands ball up yet again. Going through his convictions, he stepped back, and with one, strong punch, struck the boulder once more, feeling the numbness burn on his fingers. "How do you like that," he taunted the rock, grinning. "Huh? You might be stone, but I'll show you my might of steel!"

ID: 129975 | BD: 10 
1 + 2 = 3 DMG

The Boulder | HP: 35/50 (-3) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

Basuke smashed his fist against the rock again, determined to show off -- and mock -- the boulder for its unsteady resolve. As far as the boy was concerned, he was still doing great! He could keep this up!

- - -

Hold up, hold up, hold up.

If his resolve steeled so quickly... how did he manage to get trapped in a quest like this? And... so soon...?

See, my friends -- the exact answer to that question is inherently lost to time. However, Basuke is sure it went something like this.

There was an announcement in his mailbox. System generated. It must've been the only thing Basuke could read and comprehend entirely in a long while. The familiar sigils comforted Basuke, as he sat on a bench, taking a break from the sparring and practice. While he hadn't fully communicated with anyone yet, he had been straining his intelligence in reading English. Sighing, he leaned back, and proceeded to read it out to himself.

ID: 130191 | BD: 9
1 + 1 = 2 DMG

The Boulder | HP: 33/50 (-2) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

"The teleporter at the center of town is open. For further floor advancements, please make your way over to the centre of town to take advantage of this teleportation system."

"We hope your time in Aincrad has served you well thus far, and we will continue to observe further player progression in the upcoming years. Thank you for your co-operation."

"-- Feh, upcoming years, huh?" Basuke grumbled, squinting his eyes. He'd definitely not want to stay here for another few years if he could help it, but without communicating with anyone... it was difficult to say how he would be able to help the community.

He closed the menu, before rising from his seat, deciding to investigate this... 'teleporter' thing.

- - -

The boy wasn't going to drop the ball so quickly, now. The tiny portion of health that was chipped off earlier had been a motivator for him, no matter how meager the damage he was dealing was. With a bruised knuckle, he served another punch, leaving another shallow gash into the rock.

ID: 130192 | BD: 9
1 + 1 = 2 DMG

The Boulder | HP: 31/50 (-2) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

That... may have been his last tackle for today. No, no. Basuke could go for one more before he'd get back to his own life. He had groceries to collect, damn it, and he wanted a snack!

Winding up another punch, he swung his arm, with a loud "--HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!", putting another dent into the rock. He chuckled, holding his hand, gently shaking it to rid his hand of the pain. "I'll be back for you, rock," he muttered, before raising his voice. "You hear me?! I'll finish you buddy! You're as good as gone!"

With that, the boy took off back to Urbus.

- - -

The system mail seemed to have invited a plethora of players, adventurers and refugees, over to the centre of town. Basuke took once glance at the crowd, and sighed, gritting his teeth. It's not like the teleporter was a device that would go away soon, he figured. With a sigh, he resigned himself to his fate, heading off to the outskirts of town to continue training himself.

ID: 130193 | BD: 6
Basuke attacks The Boulder! (-1 DMG)

The Boulder | HP: 30/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

For two days, the crowd persisted, from early sunrise till the setting sun. By the evenings, Basuke was already too exhausted to investigate, and in the mornings, adventurers were already busy coming and going from the venue. Only by the third did the crowd thin a little, with Basuke heading directly towards it after an afternoon snack.

He watched the people run up to the platform, up a set of stairs. With a flash, they came and went.

So he went up there too. His feet firmly on the pedestal, he waited for a good few seconds, before someone rushed over to him, brushing the boy aside. "Hey, watch where you're--!!"

"Teleport Urbus!"

The light, enveloping the two players, took and whirled and whisked them away, to a distant town elsewhere.

- - -

The sun was setting, and Basuke had returned, a towel around his neck and a small bag of fruits was placed by a nearby -- steady and non-targetable -- rock. He bounced, trying to get himself ready to give the rock a blow.

"HYAAAAAAAAAA-----"

ID: 130324 | BD: 7

The Boulder | HP: 29/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

"HEAR MY CRIES, BOULDER!" Basuke shrieked, a foot on the rock. "FEAR ME AND MY WHISKERS! WE'RE COMING FOR YOUR END, ROCK! I DARE YOU--"

"--SHUT UP!!"

The NPC, Mr Miyagi, shuffled out of his house in full golden robes, accented blue, thick round glasses on his head, and hair of two patches on his sides, bald at the center. Wiggling his moustache, he added, cross, "People are trying to sleep here!"

"OH! I'M SORRY!" The boy hollered back, as the man began to approach him. Basuke looked up at the sky, before turning back to him, now close enough to speak at a regular volume. "But uh... It's still the evening, sir."

"Can I not sleep in the evening?!" Miyagi snapped back at the boy, who shivered, guilty. "Seriously! It's been two years, and how many times have I told you to break the boulder quietly?!"

"... S-sorry, sir..."

As Basuke tried to tune out the man's scoldings, he kicked gently at the rock, his eyes downcast.

ID: 130327 | BD: 4

The Boulder | HP: 28/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

"And another thing, when are you going to break this rock, anyway?!" As soon as Basuke heard that, he choked, leaking rage while also trying to hold back his shame. "Y'know, it takes someone a maximum of a week to get this rock sorted, but you've been here for way longer than that! Seriously! I can't even enjoy my hotpot without hearing you bash up this rock with your stupid yelling!"

"... It's not stupid..." The boy murmured, having taken a seat by the rock and kicking at it loosely with his foot outstretched. "It... helps me stay focused, alright old man?"

"Hmph!" Miyagi scoffed, turning his nose up at the boy's retort. "Just hurry up already! And do it quietly!"

"... Yes sir..."

The man babbled to himself as he wandered off, back to his little hut by an enclave. Basuke could only sigh and huff in petulant silence, stewing his anger to nothing.

ID: 130328 | BD: 8

The Boulder | HP: 27/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

Given a few minutes, the boy rose, balling up his fists. His breathing ragged with anger, he brought his fists back up, aiming to take a swing at it.

Except he'd missed. Perhaps the tears obscuring his vision had something to do with it. Sniffling, he picked up his bag of fruits, before kicking the rock gently, trudging slowly back into town.

- - -

Urbus? Where the heck is Urbus? Basuke looked around, tentative and afraid, as the other person ran off towards some other part of town. He was so lost and confused. The boy scrambled off the teleporter, in case something else happened to him, and he would be whisked to some other place much more dangerous than where he was now.

Pulling open his map, he discovered that he was on Floor 2. Urbus just so happened to be the name of the town he was in. Curious. Closing the window, he began wandering around town, hands in his pockets, trying to look discreet.

ID: 130334 | BD: 3
Basuke missed!

The Boulder | HP: 27/50 | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

The town had much more to offer than expected. It wasn't as grand as Floor 1's, no, but it was amazingly decent as far as floors go. The best part were the less crowded streets. Players who must've been here to sightsee must've returned to safety by now. Only adventurers were wandering outside of their comfort zones, anyway.

As Basuke was making himself familiar with the town, he spotted a quest marker in the distance. It seemed unique, kind of like it was inviting him to it for a special reward. Like a moth to a flame, he made his way over, stretching effortlessly.

- - -

The differences in his gait were plain to see, if you compared his first day here to the present. Hunched, the boy had an apple in his hands half bitten into, and as he approached the rock with familiarity, he gave it a grudging kick.

One point of damage.

... Whatever, he was eating his breakfast, anyway.

ID: 130347 | BD: 6
Basuke attacks The Boulder. (-1 DMG)

The Boulder | HP: 26/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

"Oi," he scorned, kicking the rock a little more to chip off its health. His mouth was still full of apple that he had only recently bit off. "You can hear me, right? Dumb rock..."

"I can't be as loud anymore, alright?" Basuke added, squinting. "You get me, right? I'm still going to beat you whether you like it or not."

- - -

In a secluded corner of the world, somewhere near town, was a clearing with a large boulder and a small hut a little ways over. The clearing was fenced in a circle, moulded by brush, trees and a mountain face, where in a little enclave further back sat the hut. The boy took a glance at the boulder, passing it by without a second thought, over into the hut.

This path... felt almost too easy.

As he reached the house shrouded by shadows, the door creaked open, eerily. Daintily. Forebodingly.

ID: 130351 | BD: 7

The Boulder | HP: 25/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

# It says NIGHT on it but I really meant Basuke I'm so sorry

Edited by Basuke

"Haah?" A shrill, jarring voice spoke from behind the door frame. From the side, a man's head slithered up, his head bald save for two patches of black, slick hair, and thick round glasses that reflected what little sunlight back at Basuke. He flinched, waving away the bright light.

"An adventurer, haah?"

"Ye-yes," Basuke stuttered out, at a lost for words given his predicament.

"Haaaaaaaah," the voice breathed, relaxed and curious this time. A thick mustache bobbed up and down from the edge of the door frame. The boy narrowed his eyes. "So uh... did you want something?"

"Haaaaaaah?" The voice droned. This man was starting to get on Basuke's nerves by now, and he cursed under his breath. Why did he even end up here?

- - -

"Maybe I should get in closer," he muttered, after having swallowed his apple chunks. A hand still holding a half-bitten apple, he squatted and leaned into the rock, scrunching up his face. His other gripped the rock tightly, bearing his fingers down into it. "You. Break. By my hands. No escape."

ID: 130356 | BD: 6

The Boulder | HP: 24/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

# It says NIGHT on it but I really meant Basuke I'm so sorry

Edited by Basuke