[F-01] [SP] Upgrading at the shop «Training your Friend»

Sebastian was happily curling himself underneath Ben's hands, making growling noises and waiting for the next choices that Ben wanted to try for their training.  Unfortunately, Ben was running out of ideas on what else to try.  Him and Sebastian had tried doing just about every part of the crafting process, and didn't make any process at all.  Granted, it was fun just hanging out with his little friend once more.  He had been spending a lot of time out on his expeditions, and hadn't as much time to just man the shop lately, and he missed that.  At least, even if they didn't find any new ways for him to help out, they'd get to spend some time just hanging out with each other.  And with this game, he needed as many friends as he could to keep himself together.  He smiled a bit as he pet his little caterpillar, just taking in the moments together as a team. 

"Well Sebastian, how about you just watch me work like you would normally, just sitting there for a while. I'll think up something new to try and you can just catch some relaxation. Or a nap- I'm never really sure if you're asleep or not when you sit on my shoulder." he said quizzically, wondering how he could actually tell as he took a closer look at his familiar. Sebastian's eyes didn't change when he closed them as far as he could tell, and he looked tired and resting pretty much constantly.  "So how do I tell if you're actually paying attention while you're up there, come to think of it..." 

He put his head down on the same level as Sebastian,  looking intently at his carefree and happy caterpillar, who at this point had not noticed his master's train of thought and was still cooing on the table. "Are you usually asleep when I'm carrying you around?" he said out loud, mostly to himself.

Sebastian didn't respond very much to Ben's questions- he was in his happy spot just curled up beneath Ben's hands getting pampered with the awesome little worm he was.  Ben took advantage of his distracted state to inspect him closer.  He looked his familiar over to try and see how different he looked when he was happy.  Or at least when he wasn't halfway to being asleep.  "Maybe if you're more active that would help out.  I guess your skills might be affected by your morale, or how helpful you feel.  Ugh, I hope that doesn't mean that I have to try everything we just did all over again, but with you feeling happier.  That would take forever." he told Sebastian as he continued to play with him. 

He picked up his crafting kit with his other hand, setting up for another go with it while his familiar was so happy. "Well, how about we try a couple more things right now.  If they work, they work.  If not, we can continue playing.  How about that Sebastian?" 

Sebastian was happily cooing in answer to Ben's question, and crawled his way up Ben's arm until he was once more sitting on his shoulder, the usual spot he hung out in when they were both together.  This time though, he was happily making some happy caterpillar noises- or at least what SAO had determined those noises would be, since there was no giant caterpillars in the real world- and settling in a much happier disposition than he had usually been in. 

"OK little guy, how about we just start our work- I'll start making a potion, and you just sit there and do whatever it is that you can do to help.  But if you can't, it's just good to have you around here with me.  I know I usually can't take you on the dangerous, long journeys, but you're still my familiar.  And still are an awesome partner."  he said as he got to work, nuzzling Sebastian as he started. 

Ben started his work, placing one ingredient after another into his mixing bowl and humming along with his familiar, both of them harmonizing as they worked.  It felt good to work like this.  But Ben's work was interrupted by something in the corner of his eye- a new icon that appeared in his HUD. 

"Just a sec Sebastian- looks like something weird here..." he said as he popped open his menu, scrolling down to see his status. "A morale buff to crafting?  That's a thing?" Suddenly it dawned on him exactly what kind of a thing it was. "Oh, that's your skill there Sebastian.  You can help out by just sitting there and being your happy self- that's actually a lot more convenient than the other options."

He gave his partner a big rub on his head, happy to be in business again.  With this and a nice big bag of snacks next to his crafting table, he'd be able to craft a lot faster than ever before.  And be able to make some really high level items for the next boss battle- at least hopefully! 

"Best get started now, shouldn't we bud?"

Spoiler

Roll 135712
CD - 7, success
4 Success total of 4!

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm