[PP-F1] <<The First Few Lessons are Free>> Isekais Aren't All They're Cracked Up to Be

... Vince smiles at the responses. He wasn't expecting a response like that at all! Well, actually... To be quite honest, the chuuni was slightly predictable. Mao, on the other hand? Very. Interesting... How wonderful it is to find two individuals that are worth looking into! He continues to plaster on that massive grin. "Ohoho, that's good, that's good! Motivations like that will get you somewhere, surely." Again, the green-haired one spies another quest material ripe for the picking. Subtly kicking a stray branch to trip a player over, Vince swiftly nabs the stray material.

image.png.76a227d24ed146597585f17f9bc13639.png

A few more tricks like that, and he'll surely get done sometime soon, though perhaps he should hold off on any further gathering quests like this for now. It's honestly quite tedious for subpar game rewards. Vince returns to look at the two, almost nonchalantly. "Since you were all so kind to share... I too, wish to aim for the top. It's quite simple, really." He starts to brush off any excess dirt while he's at it, though occasionally glancing around for any quest materials that he can vulture acquire.

2/5 Quest Materials Found

@Megitsune @Kaliot

Edited by NS

The Megitsune left the boys to their own devices while she trailed off on her own. There were tons of players in Aincrad all working hard to level up as quickly as they possibly could. If the bulk of the active players in the game could work together and start working out the floor bosses in a timely manner, they could get out of this place. Even through her facade she showed some weakness. A bit of fear was encouraging her to join the higher ranks and make it up in the floors. Thankfully, no one could see her face with the mask hiding it. That after all was what the mask was for in the first place, hiding ones intentions and feelings as to not look weak.

Nothing to be found over here. Players were wiping this area dry, but she was sure that rushing into deeper areas of the floor could be dangerous without some scouting and proper equipment. Another time, when she wasn't being bothered with two backups.

image.thumb.png.93a531946aefcdf28d30be5dd88d0ec5.png

Materials: 3/5

Edited by Megitsune

Mao watched as Vince used some sly tactics to nab a mat, and he couldn't help but be impressed at how naturally it came to him. He also couldn't help but be nervous at how naturally it came to him.

"Simple, real simple. Just gotta climb up 100 floors, one at a time." Mao didn't know how difficult the game actually was, but he hoped that Kayaba wasn't sadistic enough to trap them in here, enable actual death, _and_ make it Dark Souls-difficult. No sir, that'd be crossing the line. Mao took note of Fox slowly drifting away from their little group. Seeing that there was absolutely no loot around at the moment, his Col dinged down to 1999 as he pulled out a coin from his inventory. With a nice, high flip, the coin landed tails up.

"The safer option, huh? For now, I guess I'll leave 'er be," Mao muttered under his breath. He palmed the coin and felt it lowly melt away into nothingness. Ding! 2000 Col.

@NS @Megitsune

3/5 Quest Materials Found

E4jRKCV.png

kqIpZn9.png

Edited by Kaliot

Vince just lightly chuckles at the response, though he does give... Fox, was it? A curious glance nonetheless. He continues to look around him for materials, though he makes sure to keep a watching eye on the girl leaving them behind. "Hm... Perhaps a good idea to keep an eye on her a bit..." A mutter under his breath...

Ah! Right there-

image.png.83d2355935ab5be8482492e6e481941d.png

And it got scooped up by another player. Really? He must be rusty, he's normally on top of things like this. Perhaps he'd investigate methods of improving their chances of acquiring any future quest loot... Unlikely. Kayaba probably takes enjoyment in players struggling to acquire materials based on RNG. The RNGesus one might say.

Maybe a prayer. Or an item. Something to influence the odds a bit to take away the pain.

"Anyways... Maomao, was it? What was the whole thing with the coin flip? Can't make a decision for yourself? Or perhaps a fan of letting luck decide where you go?" He continues to survey the area, keeping an eye on some of the clumsier players running around in this zone. The smile plastered on Vince's face seems to grow more and more disturbing. No one should be smiling that long. Or for no reason.

2/5 Quest Materials Found

@Megitsune @Kaliot

Edited by NS

The white yokai took her time looking around outside of the congested area of players, looking back on the two boys who were still having their materials scooped out from under their noses. It made her chuckle a bit, to be honest. Much less players out this way meant that there might not be as many materials for grabs but most of them that were over here would go to her and not get shaken from her hands in an instant.

It didn't even take that long for her to find one. The fox bend down and picked it up as quickly as she could, just in case, and moved it into her inventory. She only needed one more, and the other two had barely broken the halfway mark. Did she stay and support them in finding those materials when she finished, or did she just move on her own without them? It was the early stages of the game, so maybe she should try to make some mutual friends.

image.thumb.png.e2d4500cba9f8677c93ed90f82bdfe59.png

Materials Found: 4/5

Edited by Megitsune

"You gotta step up your game," Mao said as he watched someone swipe yet another mat from Vince. He lightly jogged toward one of his own. "Or else-". Mao was cut off by another thief snatching his loot. The thief smirked, gave him a mini-salute, and ran off.

[Maybe we should start PK'ing people.

Maybe we should find another spot.

Maybe we should become a thief.

Don't even joke about becoming a PK'er.]

Mao sighed. If only loot was shared, it would've made the quest much easier and, y'know, promote cooperation. But instead here they were, stealing scraps from each other. Is this what Kayaba wanted, to sow discourse? Mao relocated himself to an area nearby and did the same with his mind.

"I'd say a little of column A, a little of column B." Mao passed on mentioning why and he hoped that it'd either go under the radar or that Vince just wouldn't care.

@NS @Megitsune

pl3Ycig.png

Edited by Kaliot

Vince just chuckles. "Perhaps the best way to play a game is by pretending you weren't, to begin with." With that, he swipes another material right out of someone's sight when they turned away. How easy it is to abuse someone's shortsightedness. Another material acquired!

image.png.3df9e41e4acc1e1bd754e08ca26c553d.png

Curiously looking at the quest material in hand, he finally decides glance at what Mao is doing... Hm. He starts looking around once again, deciding to start some light conversations. "You know the other one well? Maybe you'd want to keep an eye out." The gambler continues to look around, ready to exploit any opportunities that arise. Though, he does hover his glance over at Fox longer than most.

It may be the first area, but who knows what people are willing to try... Though admittedly, it's none of his business. Even if they're a potential business partner, that does not mean he can be so... intrusive, per se.

@Megitsune @Kaliot

Edited by NS

The fox took her time to look for more materials, but other squatters found out about her spot pretty quickly and started to drain her materials out in front of her. The Megitsune would have been upset, but she was almost done anyway. There wasn't that much of a rush. Now that her area was infested with miscreants left and right, she decided it was time to head back to the boys. 

The Megitsune's mask poked through the conversation just as the last word was said. No idea what they were talking about, she elects to say nothing and just leans against the a tree and stay under the shade for a moment. The last material wouldn't be difficult to find after all, she would only get annoyed if she was actively looking for them and got them stolen under her nose.

"Kon." The familiar clarion voice muffled behind it's fake visage.

image.thumb.png.14689da496b328376d9455836ce2b0c6.png

Materials found: 4/5

Edited by Megitsune

Mao was about to speak but managed to catch himself as Fox had made her way back into their vicinity. "Kon," he replied back.

Mao scooched a little closer toward Vince. "Keep an eye out? Why's that?" he whispered. Mao was genuinely curious. Did Vince notice something strange about Fox apart from what Mao'd already seen? She'd seemed nice enough albeit distant. Very distant. Mao looked up at Fox who seemed to be taking a break under the shade of a tree.

[Truly the face of evil.

I don't see it.

She's wearing a mask.]

Mao let his imagination run wild with different scenarios knowing full well that it was all in good fun...or was it? "My god, it all makes sense now. How could I have been so blind?", he said. Of course, this didn't actually mean anything at all. Meanwhile, a piece of loot popped up nearby. Mao reached out a foot and gave it a little love tap.

@NS @Megitsune

4/5 Quest Materials Found

SC4PWVH.png

Edited by Kaliot

... Vince just chuckles. He likes this one! Perhaps this one will be more interesting than he thought. Though maybe not as much as the Fox over there... Eh. Different purposes and intents. Briefly breaking away from the conversation, Vince continues to look around the clearing, looking for any shinies ripe for easy picking. That one is taken, that one is also taken, that one is... not taken! Wonderful! The man swiftly, but nonchalantly shuffles over to some nearby foliage that other players were investigating. A slight tilt to the side as he reaches in...

image.png.756bd36046a53f6f619af1d7edbbd661.png

And pulls out the quest material they were looking for! Of course, the players were aggrieved, but finders keepers after all~! If they really wanted it, they would've tried harder. With that, he just casually walks back to where he was. Strangely enough, that was the best spot to scan the area. Though, he remains quiet for now, letting his gaze linger on Mao and Fox longer than most.

@Megitsune @Kaliot

Edited by NS

The Fox had noticed the green haired boys gaze was fixated on her, and now the blonde one's too. Hell she couldn't remember their names already. They had yet to make them worth remembering.

"Oi, you got something to say, you should say it. You afraid of a girl that's a couple years younger than you or something." The girl muttered from behind the mask. "Don't think that because I wear a mask, I can't see right through you. Yokai can see into people's hearts and desires."

Most of the materials in the area were being hogged at this point. She would just wait for one to spawn near her and swipe it up before anyone had a chance to even see it, let alone take it. This gathering was annoying to do, so hopefully she would not have to do it much in the future. Take a profession that doesn't require material gathering as much.

image.thumb.png.0216110e7d023ccf8c0794a6352a89f4.png

Edited by Megitsune

Hidden away from Fox's gaze, Mao flashed a smile. Was that her upper limit for being teased? He wasn't totally sure, but he was glad that she was at least speaking something more than a greeting. Fox was a tough cookie, but surely she had to have a weak-point in her armor. Another one, anyway, since Mao had a pretty good inkling on the first was, but it was one he wasn't willing to exploit. Nothing seemed to be spawning within his vicinity so he decided to take a mini-'break' himself. He walked up to Fox with a serious, neutral face.

"Okay. If that's what you think." Mao took a second to raise three fingers and held it out ahead of himself close to his chest. "If yokai can see my heart and desires, tell me: does the yokai know what three things I''m feelings towards you right now?" Mao could feel his chest tighten up into an enfeebling knot.

[So brave.

So outrageous.

This is so dumb, and I hate you.]

@NS @Megitsune

cTuZBVm.png

Edited by Kaliot

... One blink. Two blinks. Three blinks. What did he hear with his own two ears? Repeat that again? What? One thing for sure, that is a VERY bold approach and Vince is not quite sure how feels about it. He just thought the Fox would be a good business partner! Nothing else! Now we have average and awkward over here making a very, POSSIBLY FORWARD, approach. Deciding to divert his eyes away from the oncoming trainwreck, he goes back to looking for materials. Though, he does teasingly throws up his arms as he slowly shuffles away. "I wash my hands clean of this~! I'll be back later~." In fact, it seems that some of the nearby eavesdroppers were also shocked, leaving a quest material open - ripe for the picking.

image.png.5bbd04c125f707a28186febd6b7bb412.png

He just sorts of whistles innocently, looking away from the whole thing. That's a lie. He's definitely glancing at the two here and there, mostly because of how juicy it is. Ding! Oh! The quest updated! He pulls it up in front of him again.

<<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

Objective One: Meet Zakariah. Complete!

Objective Two: Fetch (5/5) Quest Materials. Complete!

Objective Three: Return to Zakariah. Incomplete.

He completely forgot that he only had to get five materials. Hm. That makes this difficult. Should he stay or should he go? The plus side is getting this quest over with. The downside is that he misses out on establishing business connections. That, and well, missing out on something juicy.

Nah, he'll stay. It'll be fun. Probably.

5/5 Quest Materials Found

@Megitsune @Kaliot

Edited by NS

What.

The Fox's crimson pupils pierced through the boy's eyes, looking directly into his soul. Anger wasn't just apparent from her body language, you could feel it. 

"You aren't feeling three things right now, it's four. Let me explain - One: You're feeling stupid right now for asking me such an inane question, and getting right in my face. Two: You're worried now because you've made me angry and you're desperately trying to think of a solution that will make me all happy-buddy-buddy with you again because Amaterasu knows why. Three: You find my anger to be adorable, which is only pissing me off more, and using it to call me out. -Oh, and four: Regret."

The Fox reeled her hand back and socked Mao directly in the face with her fist. She had no skill in martial arts, so it only did a single point of damage to him. The force was enough to send the boy to the grass. Slowly, her crystal went from green to orange. One attack wouldn't be permanent at least. After she was done with Mao, she walked back over to her tree and leaned on, looking out into the fields of floor one, away from the idiots. You try to be nice to someone...

image.thumb.png.57ac69bb13bd2011cbfe7876a157093f.png

Edited by Megitsune

Mao really should've been prepared. A part of him knew that this was a possible outcome, but like some conspiracy theorist's fantasy, he let it happen anyway. His head flew back, eyes sealed shut, and his body lagged behind on its way to the soft, grassy ground. Despite the force behind Fox's punch, it felt like nothing more than a distinct tingle; he wasn't sure if that was a result of the game or Fox herself.

Upon crashing against the ground, Mao heard a familiar DING!. He opened his eyes only to find that between himself and the bright, blue sky was a quest indicator showing he had finished finding all five materials. "Finally done with this pa-," Mao paused as his eyes wandered onto Fox's cursor, and the regret that she had guessed he would be feeling was now beginning to sink in.

He sighed and slowly got back to his feet. Mao looked around and it seemed that, along with his little stunt, Fox's orange was catching people's eyes. This time, he didn't approach her but instead perched himself on a nearby tree trunk. "I deserved that. Sorry." Mao kept it short and sweet. He wasn't sure how long it would last. He wasn't sure how serious it was. He wasn't sure how other people would react. "I'll stick around until it goes away, or when we get back into town." His tone made it seem more like a demand than a request. "After that, I'll be outta your hair."

Mao turned his attention to Vince who seemed noticeably farther away. "Hey Vince!" Mao shouted, his tone a bit more lively than before. He gestured for Vince to come over. "Did ya finish up with the mats? Let's party up!"

@NS @Megitsune

5/5 Quest Materials Found

IUABx83.png

Edited by Kaliot

Hmm... Party up? Were the two interesting enough for that? Were the two worth investing in? After all, the short one can potentially be a loose cannon, and well, the nerd is a nerd ... After some deliberation, he just nods to himself. Yeah. They’re pretty interesting. Especially since he really has to respect Fox’s guts. She’s someone to look out for, and he definitely wants her on his metaphorical side. As for Mao? Well, Vince’s fairly certain that he’s just a diamond in the rough, ready to be found. With a chuckle and the shake of his head as he approaches the two, he just smiles.

After sauntering on over, Vince plops down onto the floor. Sure, why not. Let’s party up.” He stares at where Mao got hit. “Entirely deserved, by the way. Also, very good form on the punch!” He continues to chuckle at the thought of it. Vince certainly didn’t expect this to happen on the first day, and he certainly didn’t expect two potential allies to show up in front of him.

”Exciting first day, huh?”

@Megitsune @Kaliot

Edited by NS

As time went by, the Fox said not a word to either of the boys in her company. After that, why was she still deciding to stay? Getting an orange cursor only meant that she had to avoid guards for awhile until it wore off, though she should be careful about losing her temper like that in the future. If she did, she could be permanently banded from the safe zones until she could have it removed. Anyone that tried to acknowledge the Fox was either met with nothing but a piercing glare, or a low growl of disapproval.

After about ten minutes of standing from this point on, a material spawns at her feet and her orange cursor fades. She lets out a sigh as she sees her quest update with the next objective and returns to the boys. "We are done here, back to the stupid NPC." The girl said walking past them and heading back for the safe zone.

image.thumb.png.cdad5ef9855d5a6eea4b97fe995bea53.png

All Materials found.

Edited by Megitsune

"Pretty exciting day, yup." There was a great deal of relief in Mao's voice. The status didn't last nearly as long as he expected, and luckily nobody decided to get any funny ideas; it was impossible to predict what anyone else would do given the situation. Mao sent Vince a party invite, though it was just him in it, before heading off towards the shop. "Let's get this over with."

Zackariah's shop was still as lively as before. Mao had to squeeze himself through the doorway, and the lobby wasn't much better. Luckily, there was a special area in the shop designated for anyone who was on this part of the quest and there was where Mao and company found themselves. If anyone didn't notice before in the lobby, it was clear that there was a pungent aroma emanating from the room. The walls were lines with shelves, and atop the shelves were various jars and other containers filled with reagents. In the center of the room was a large, metal table with mortars, crucibles, flasks, beakers, and various apparatuses needed to create any potion.

"Crafting a potion. Should be easy, right?" Mao asked rhetorically. Zackariah simply laughed which didn't inspire much confidence. "Well, here goes nothing!"

Mao tinkered and fiddled with the equipment on the table, following Zackariah's instruction as closely as possible. In the end, he held up a flask filled with a bright-blue liquid. "It looks good...I guess?" Zackariah took the flask and tilted it to and fro, examining how the liquid moved inside. After a moment, he gave a nod of approval. As a reward for his efforts, Mao was given Lyle's parcel.

"That wasn't so bad."

@NS @Megitsune

1/1 Potion Crafted

KwFCHSw.png

Edited by Kaliot

Vince chuckles at the invite given to him, swiftly accepting it. He won't mind - for now. With a huff as he gets up from his seat, he starts to walk back to the safe zone with his... peers? It was almost lackadaisical how he followed after the two, seemingly noting the route they're taking and the area around them. Then his nose gets assaulted by the aroma in the quest location. Then he double-takes.

Bleh.

That's something he has to get used to. For him, a strong smell that does not actually smell at all but it does because it's digital is still something he still needs to wrap his head around. Nonetheless, time to get this portion of the quest over with. Humming to himself, he starts to get to work - he had been paying attention earlier, but the further assistance being given now only cements his chances of success. A flask there, a reagent there - Oh! Don't drop that! After messing with all the equipment for a bit...

image.png.9be4da4fd2950fe46d7f749687963952.png

... The same flask shows up in his hand! Though, strangely enough, the bright-blue liquid was practically glowing with vigor. Not only that, but the viscosity seems to be right for the purpose it was made for! Vince turns his head to the shopkeep, who gave him an approving nod and takes the potion from him. Parcel acquired!

Now Vince just waits near the doorway, smiling at Mao and Fox. "Sure. That wasn't so bad at all."

1/1 Potion Crafted

@Megitsune @Kaliot

Edited by NS

The kitsune watched the other two make their potions before her. It was her turn now and she sucked at these menial tasks with professions and crafting. She would be lucky if she could make anything with a beneficial effect. Well, if she screwed it up, she could make Mao drink it. It likely wouldn't do anything but taste completely awful.

After several seconds of trying to follow the directions, the kitsune turned up with a red colored potion that looked more like a poison than a potion. After a few seconds of examination, Zachariah confirmed its beneficiary effect and handed the entire group their rewards for their help. After that, he suggested they take a package to a local black smith who had order something from him. Great, now they were couriers too. Oh well, it's free experience.

"If you dorks are coming, you had better keep up with me. I don't like waiting around on others."

image.thumb.png.6b2a783a1b625127e6f5daf5ac998080.png

Uncommon Potion Crafted

Spoiler

Rewards:

SP: 2 quest; 2 page; 1 bonus = 5 total
Col: 266/player
Items/player:

- 5 Tier One Health Potions of Rare quality. (+40 HP)
- 1 Tier One Damage Potion of Uncommon quality. (+1 Damage)
- 1 Tier One Over-Health Potion of Special quality. (+50 HP to maximum HP for remainder of thread)

Edited by Megitsune