[SP|F1] Idle Flowers... <<EaL:Gatherer>>

Yasu wakes up, his dreams leaving a sour taste in his mouth as he stares off the side of the bench at grass, swaying carelessly in the wind. Lucky, I wish I could plant myself and live with no cares. So close to the path not even wayfinders will trample you, yet not on the path to remain safe from the boring sheep that stay within their pins. The boy would sit up, wiping away the few droplets from the tail end of his slumber that sat dormant on his makeshift bed. He was growing tired of this sitting around, but couldn't build up the energy to do much of anything.

"Such a bore."

He would say, standing and walking away from the home he had made on the small planks of wood fixed to the metal beams as to create a comfortable spot to rest, but not comfortable enough to sleep. Unless you were a master of the secret arts of slumber like our dear friend Monarch. What the hell, might as well get a job. Then I'll have a good excuse to stay in all of the time. His thoughts were consuming too much energy for his pleasure, but all living things must think otherwise they aren't living. 

Besides, I could really use the col.

So he was off to find the quest giver for any kind of profession really, he hadn't put much thought into what he wanted to be. All he knew was they were all on this floor and he wanted col to buy a room at an inn, maybe that way he could sleep in an actual bed and stay there until this game was cleared. While lost in his fantasy land he managed to pass up all of the primary profession locations and make his way out to the boonies, where he would notice a camp. It was too late to turn back now, this was right here and everything else was so much further away. It would be a waste to turn back and expend more energy, especially when one of the jobs he was searching for was less than ten feet away.

The woman in green he had heard about, Ginger? Jenny? No it was something fancy and far out... Giovanna. The boy's inner voice was rarely more energetic than him, even when coming to a conclusion like that. She would speak of moving frequently, and how Yasu had managed to finally have found her. I wasn't looking for you, I was looking for someone. You just happened to be lucky. The kid would nod slightly, accepting the quest and sighing as he turned back around to search for this "Demonic Shard" She spoke of.

Prove myself worthy? Like I need your approval.

"I need a nap."

Perhaps walking in a straight line to find a job wasn't the brightest idea, but it was the fastest method of reaching any given point. To be fair though, a given point had to be a set goal, and Monarch's vague idea of a goal was far from set. Had he not found this camp, he would've stayed on the edge of floor one until he had another fit of hyper active yearning. The fit had long since died, and now he was dead set on finishing the job so he could find a good place to lay his head down and sleep for another day.

Finding a demonic shard with a compass that's supposed to lead me to one shouldn't be too hard, but I guess this thing just kind of points you in random directions until the object shows up. The kid would glance at the ground, noticing nothing out of the ordinary but a few idle flowers dancing in the calm breeze he had grown to hate in his time spent here. Why am I even doing this? It makes no sense to stand around and look for a demonic shard if I don't know what it does.

The kid had heard players talking about these objects in passing, but could never really remember wanting to care, especially not enough to work for one. Damn it, if she hadn't asked I wouldn't have to do this.

"Nothing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Action Taken]: Searching for material

Roll ID: 189206 LD: 2 (fail)

Edited by Monarch

Sighing, the realization this task may be an all day ordeal sank in. A heavy one, weighing down on his dream of staying in bed for a year straight. A goal he felt like he was so close to achieving. It didn't really matter, he wasn't going to exhaust himself yearning for a hope that would never come to fruition. But god damn was I close. He would bend down and pick up a lonesome flower that refused to dance. "I got you buddy." Maybe this Giovanna girl wasn't too far off, she clearly didn't like people. Moving a secluded camp when you aren't on the run kind of gives that away. Her outfit screams "Nature is our ally" and to be honest I wouldn't mind if my only friends were trees and the grass between them.

People used to cling to Yasu, be it at school or in the cafe he always went to. Someone was always asking for attention he wasn't too keen on giving. It's not that he didn't like people, he just never felt like it would be worth it to spend every waking moment with others. It was too much work for him. Perhaps some of them only stuck around for his grades or his nonchalant attitude, they never stuck around long enough for him to want to find out.

Keeping people at a distance was easier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roll ID: 189207 LD: 17 (Material Found) CD: 1 (No Demonic Shard tho)

1 Material(s) found

Edited by Monarch

The idea of not knowing anyone of great importance to him didn't hurt Yasu in any way. He wasn't happy about it, but not being happy didn't necessarily mean sad. He had his parents and loved them dearly. His Sister was his best friend, but after being trapped in a game for so long she probably didn't think much of the kid. Besides their personalities didn't mesh all that well anyways. She was the outgoing type, always going to parties and bringing home tons of friends driving the young boy back into his room simply to avoid the noise.

People made Yasu a tad bit nervous, simply because he never wanted to talk to them.

He didn't have the heart to say no if someone asked him to do something. He had a few times but the feeling of regret always sat with him longer than any friend had, so he tried his best to keep from doing so. In fact, that feeling of regret is why he became so lazy in the first place. Another flower. The child would reach down and pull another plant from its stalk as if it was deserving such a cruel death. It had a use, but that didn't mean it was meant to be pulled from its home.

And yet, still no shard. If the boy could sigh within his own head, he would.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roll ID: 189208 LD: 16 (Material Found) CD: 1 (No Demonic Shard tho)

2 Material(s) found

Edited by Monarch

His nightmare of having to search for a single demonic scale would soon dissipate as he stumbled upon an unfamiliar material. The compass the woman had given to him would go haywire, spinning in a fit of energy not dissimilar to rage. It was like a child frantically calling to his friend he had stumbled upon a very shiny rock. The lazy player sighed, what was it he was doing? He wanted col so he thought he should get a job, but why did he want col. Inn stays are fairly cheap and he hadn't made much of a dent on his reserves in the past. Maybe he was just being rash.

He would stand above the item, staring down at it's almost sinister gleam. All that work for something so small and prominent? It stuck out like a sore thumb in this field, and he had barely left the camp site to boot. Why was she sending me out for something so close to her? It seems important too, I could take this and run if I wanted, and I'd get a cool compass out of it as well. The possibility he had just recognized was not one fitting him, you see. Theft and running were acts that require thought, planning and execution.

Yasu hated looking for the object, no point in stealing it.

Roll ID: 189209 LD: 19 CD: 9 (that Demonic Shard tho)

1 Demon Shard

2 Material(s) found

Edited by Monarch

Yasu glared at the problematic prey he had spent so little time finding, examining its intricacies. Maybe one day he could sell these, or he could use the information he might find to help other people keep working. It wasn't like he was gonna be here for a long time but he did at least want to be known for something before they were all released. Riding the current of fame, staying at inns for free because he helped arm the players with information or items. That's the dream life. Perhaps one day he could own a house where he can stay inside and sleep whenever and however long he wished. Working for that was going to be hell though, and Monarch was not keen on walking through a river of fire to achieve his goals.

I'd better return with this before the lady gets suspicious of me. I know I wouldn't steal, but that lady isn't me. She was far too kind for him to steal from her, even if it wasn't too much work. Spineless and lazy, that's one hell of a combination when you want to make a decent person. It wouldn't be too long before he stepped back into her camp, considering he could see it the whole time. Tossing her compass back before she could get a word out, Yasu would smile. He wasn't sure how fragile the demonic shard was so he would walk it over to her anyways. "Here, I believe this is yours too." His monotonous voice would carry a hint of kindness, though not much else.

She would explain it all, and reward him with the shard. "Oh. Thank you..." Though he had no idea how valuable said item was, Yasu was grateful. Emotions weren't his strong suit, so little more than a gentle grin would plaster itself on his face as he looked at the object in his hands. I guess all that work wasn't for nothing. I got a shard and a job.

Today wasn't a waste.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Demonic Shard

2 Materials

The shard managed to hold the boy's attention, but now that he had gained a profession he was content for the day. It was time to find a bench and sleep.

Walking out of the camp and into the field, the kid stayed fixated on his gift before placing it into his inventory and watching the clouds. He wasn't really worried about monsters, his path was clear on the way to the area, why would it be dangerous on the way back. These must not be common paths for the beasts out here. For a game this size fixed paths or procedurally generated mobs would be the safest bet, decreasing lag and easing the load on world state tracking. The boy had been so lost in thought he hadn't heard the sharp breathing fast approaching from behind.

Until he did.

A quick side step and draw of his sword the kid would launch a counter attack narrowly missing the boar's head. "Just shy."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[Action Taken]: Rage Spike (3 EN) on Boar

Roll ID: 189210 BD: 1 (crit miss) MD: 3 (miss)

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 18/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para (RS - 0/1)

Boar: 20/20 HP | 6 DMG

loot bag:

Spoiler

1 Demonic Shard

2 Materials found

Edited by Monarch

The beast's eyes glow red as it stares down the target it had picked. "Why the hell would you attack me? I was minding my business." He would sigh, closing his eyes and dropping his head for a single moment. Listening for the grass beneath the monster's feet, Yasu would jump over the charging beast, hoping to land a shot as he did. It seemed however, both of their health bars would remain unmoved.

I won't be able to keep this up forever, and I'd hate to have to fight more than one of these if a crowd of them is drawn. This is going to be a drag. His sword would shift positions, finding itself firmly gripped in an icepick stance as if the boy was wielding a dagger. Shorter range but better defense, gotta say it's useful being able to control your body like you would in the real world. Normal games would never let me do this.

Keeping an eye on his cool downs, Yasu would have to come up with a plan before he wound up hurt or worse. "I guess counter attacking all the time won't do."

[Action Taken]: Vertical Arc (4 EN) on Boar

Roll ID: 189211 BD: 5 (miss uwu) MD: 1 (miss)

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 17/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para (RS - 1/1) (VA - 0/1)

Boar: 20/20 HP | 6 DMG

loot bag:

Spoiler

1 Demonic Shard

2 Materials

Edited by Monarch

Monarch's first plan was to launch an attack so he wasn't stuck on the defensive, but that didn't play out like he wanted to. The monster would copy his initial move and hop to the side in a way the boy had no idea pigs were capable of. I guess Kayaba wanted interesting fights rather than absolute realism. Before he could pull up his arm to block the attack though, he felt tusks collide with his legs, flipping him up onto his head.

This was not ideal.

You know, I might actually enjoy killing this thing, if I can. Yasu had never held a sword before in his life, so keeping one in his hand to fight a creature that was just as ready to kill him was not exactly the training he wanted. "You have got to be kidding me." His monotonous voice would ring out as he stood up and faced the beast once more. I guess it's do or die now, hopefully the fear of death will make me fight. Stories of adrenaline rushes always made the kid feel like he wanted to be in dangerous situations, but that required doing stuff in the first place so it really didn't sit well with him.

Roll ID: 189212 BD: 3 (miss) MD: 9 (crit +1)

6 + 1 = 7 DMG

20 - 7 = 13 HP

Monarch: 13/20 HP | 16/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para (RS - 0/1) (VA - 1/1)

Boar: 20/20 HP | 6 DMG

loot bag:

Spoiler

1 Demonic Shard

2 Materials

Edited by Monarch

It was time to get serious, Yasu had been slammed in the leg and if the pain wasn't numbed he probably would've just gave up right there. But he hadn't and now he had to fight back or get destroyed right here right now. His hand would tighten around the hilt, pulling his arm up as the monster moved to its ready position. Nothing dared stir between them, save for a slight breeze rustling the boy's hair. It was time.

He would lock eyes with his target, pulling his arm downward and dragging his blade across its face, then bringing the blade back up to finish the sword art. He had completed his task, striking the beast with a rage hotter than ever before. "Not much more to go." He would whisper to himself, his words still carrying no emotion. That strike landed firmly, so I should follow up with an attack almost as strong as that one. His sword arm would cover his mouth, the blade crossing his forearm and sticking back past his elbow.

"Such a bore."

[Action Taken]: Vertical Arc (4 EN) on Boar

Roll ID: 189213 BD: 9 (Crit +1 Paralyze Procs bb) MD: 7 (Paralyzed)

3 + 1 = 4 * 4 = 16 DMG

20 - 16 = 4 HP

Monarch: 13/20 HP | 13/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para (RS - 1/1) (VA - 0/1)

Boar: 4/20 HP | 6 DMG

loot bag:

Spoiler

1 Demonic Shard

2 Materials

Edited by Monarch

The monster couldn't move, so Yasu took his chance and charged in once more, placing his blade on the enemy's neck and pulling it through, then he would spin on his heel slashing across at the enemy's mouth. His blade would effortlessly float through the monster front to back, separating his chest from his back. Two pieces would explode, leaving behind a small lump of col, a few materials and the silhouette of a weird object he couldn't quite describe.

Sighing as he stands up, holding the foreign object in his hand, Monarch would step back and count his earnings. Perhaps I was too harsh on that creature, he attacked me but maybe I was by his home. I could've been an invader in his eyes, in which case he was justified. Satisfied with his outing, although a little bit down, the kid would continue his long trek back to the bench he had abandoned for this little adventure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roll ID: 189213 BD: 7 (hit) MD: 10 (dead)

3 * 3 = 9 DMG

4 - 9 = 0 HP

Monarch: 13/20 HP | 13/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para (RS - 1/1) (VA - 0/1)

Boar: 0/20 HP | 6 DMG

Loot Roll ID: 189214 LD: 5 (+2 Materials) CD: 8 (+40 col)

Base col: 20 * 3 = 60

Loot results: 1 rare unidentified trinket, +20 col

loot bag:

Spoiler

120 col

1 Rare Unidentified Trinket

1 Demonic Shard

4 Materials

Edited by Monarch

Yasu stood still in a field, contemplating what exactly he wanted to do with his new found skill at finding things. His hand were so unused it almost felt weird to simply pick flowers, and he was already killing and pillaging. It's a weird learning curve, I will say that much. His eyes would follow the path he walked, the long road home was paved in forgotten footsteps long since swept away.

Their destruction yet remains.

It's sad really, all of these idle flowers trampled simply because people want to expand and conquer. It's a sin really. Not that I want to stop them. His searching gaze would fall on the fields around him, yearning for a flower he can use later on, but nothing sticks out. "Damn." His hands would slide into his pockets as he continues his journey. Carefully avoiding the plants that don't need to be killed.

I swear, people are such a drag.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 14/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para

[Action Taken]: Material Search

Roll ID: 189224 LD: 13 (fail)

Loot Bag:

Spoiler

120 col

1 Demonic Shard

4 Materials

Edited by Monarch

Monarch's eyes traced the path once more, noticing a pack of boars he was keen on avoiding. Glaring at the group the boy placed his hand on his sword, ready to pull it from the sheathe. His preparations were not in vain, as a boar stampedes from the side opposite the enemies he clearly hadn't wanted to engage. Not again. His blade is drawn, and in a flash his sword glows a bright yellow, dancing in a V across the boar's forehead.

"I am sorry, but you attacked first." The kid would remark, making sure to rationalize defending himself to an animal made entirely of ones and zeroes.

This time it absolutely wasn't my fault, he attacked me. I was avoiding their territory consciously. Maybe the last boar was at fault too. If he was being honest, which he almost never would, the boy would much rather be off watching people interact and flourish in the great town of beginnings.

[Action Taken]: Vertical Arc (4 EN) on Boar

Roll ID: 189225 BD: 9 (Crit +1 Paralyze Procs bb) MD: 5 (Paralyzed)

3 + 1 = 4 * 4 = 16 DMG

20 - 16 = 4 HP

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 10/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para (VA - 0/1)

Boar: 4/20 HP | 6 DMG [Paralyzed]

Loot Bag:

Spoiler

120 col

1 Demonic Shard

4 Materials

Edited by Monarch

As the boar approached for a second attack, Yasuhiro drew a sharp breath and placed the blunt edge of his blade on his hand. This was his chance, now he would take more spoils and become the richest player in Aincrad. Yeah, that would be great. I could have the biggest house in SAO as I hold all of the power in this game. His eyes lock with the boar who is fast approaching as his feet move on their own. Moving out of the way was a big skill the kid had worked on over the years. Moving through the halls when there were fights will teach you how to duck under a stray punch or two.

His blade floats off of his hand and straight down the center of the unroasted pork, flying through the piggy like a wing through a harsh windstorm. Suddenly, a sharp spin in his hand would flip the blade as he spun and plunged his sword directly through the beast's front half. It would explode into a kaleidoscope of shards, much like the last one and his eyes would fall to the floor. More materials.

"At this rate I'll be able to recreate Aincrad by myself."

[Action Taken]: Rage Spike (3 EN) on Boar

Roll ID: 189379 BD: 10 (Crit +2 Paralyze Procs bb) MD: 7 (Paralyzed and dead bb)

3 + 2 = 5 * 3 = 15 DMG

4 - 15 = -11 HP

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 8/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para (VA - 1/1)(RS - 0/1)

Boar: 0/20 HP | 6 DMG [Paralyzed]

[Action Taken]: Looting Boar

Roll ID: 189380 LD: 3 (+2 Materials) CD: 1 (+2 Materials)

Base col reward: 60 col

Loot Bag:

Spoiler

180 col

1 Demonic Shard

8 Materials

Edited by Monarch

The kid was fantasizing about his dream of being the richest player in Aincrad, and as he got lost in his own mind he had been walking back towards town. The character had been out for longer than he ever hoped to and he had already been in two fights with his energy reaching its absolute limit soon. "Such a bore." His free hand would come up to sweep his hair back, his other hand placing the sword perpendicular to his spine in his horizontal back scabbard.

The boy's eyes would find themselves wandering again, up and down the path home. His little bench he had just adopted where he had spent so many sleep filled days since the start of the game was calling his name. Only a little bit further and I'll be back asleep. Maybe this time I'll actually get to sleep through a whole day. It's about time I try that here. I have to know if there's a limit to how long I can stay out.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 9/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para (RS - 1/1)

Roll ID: 189381 LD: 7

No material found

Loot Bag:

Spoiler

180 col

1 Demonic Shard

8 Materials

Edited by Monarch

Having almost made it back to the safe zone, Monarch would stop and take a short detour. He was tired, bored out of his mind and wanting to just lay down and fall asleep. His thoughts of home back in the real world would only ever disappoint him. A dull grey room, grey blankets and sheets with no pillow case on his pillows, no TV or game systems, just a single desk where he would do his homework. A computer would sit just next to where his feet went and his Nerve Gear would sit on his head as he lay on the ground waiting for someone to save him. The thought made him shudder, he could've laid in bed and been comfortable from the start.

But he didn't feel like moving his computer, so he opted to play in a chair.

While he strayed from the path for a moment, he would find his eyes wandering along with his mind, settling on a plant he wished to take with him. Couldn't hurt to collect as many as he possibly could before being done for the week.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 10/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para 

Roll ID: 189384 LD: 16

Material Found

Loot Bag:

Spoiler

180 col

1 Demonic Shard

9 Materials

Edited by Monarch

Yasu was having trouble figuring out what to do next, so he would continue walking his unique path that could have been a straight one. Evidently I made the wrong choice, but I'll keep on trucking through until the job is done I guess. For the kid, the job wasn't done until he had gotten home and gone to bed, that way he didn't ever have to wake up early and finish his work. But today was different, the idea of making so much col and having all he could ever want was almost exciting to him.

He would buy a pretty house and in the basement he would run a shop where he could do everything that needed done for a day and he would become the richest man in the world. It was a greedy ideal, but he was fixed on it.

Papa always said hard work and a sharp mind was all it takes to be successful. Yasu hated hard work, but his mind was sharper than a tack. His teachers would often brag about what a good student he was, quiet, smart, and he always got the job done on time and to its fullest. Hard working was never brought up in his name though, and Monarch was okay with that.

"Why not be successful, right?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 11/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para 

Roll ID: 189399 LD: 14

No Material Found (?)

Loot Bag:

Spoiler

180 col

1 Demonic Shard

9 Materials

Edited by Monarch
  • 2 weeks later...

The walk back was almost done, but Yasu felt like he was getting nowhere with these makeshift searches. He was guessing he was too close to town to find anything, but he wasn't quite sure anyways. Either way he was tired of it. Why do rules always have to make life harder, why can't the challenge be the speed at which you can do something not the hurdles you have to jump along the way. "How troublesome." The young boy would say quietly to himself, pulling his hands up and sliding them into his pockets.

Honestly I could deal with the hard work of getting a job if it didn't feel like an endless cycle of damnation. He would stare at the path he was walking on as it turned to brick. Realizing he was back in town, Yasu would make his way back to the inn he was taking a break from until today. "It's time I got back to sleeping in a bed." He would remark, cutting down a back alley to find the hole in the wall. Upon walking in, he would look behind the counter and notice that same old smiling face he always saw back there. Tall dark and handsome, every girl's dream and Yasu's worst nightmare.

"Cabbage soup and a room for the night."

Monarch: 20/20 HP | 20/20 EN | 3 DMG | 1 Para 

Roll ID: 191116 LD: 14

No Material Found (?)

Loot Bag:

Spoiler

180 col

1 Demonic Shard

9 Materials

Edited by Monarch

Yasu had ordered and the innkeeper would supply. Soup would be placed on the counter with a spoon and a key, the tall brown haired player would smile and nod, while Monarch would simply transfer the small amount of col to the proprietor of this establishment. Reaching down and taking a bite, the kid would remain emotionless, thinking about his lofty goals of becoming the richest man ever. Assuming people have been playing since day one, and at least a few of them were on the right path for making money, I would need to get at least 100,000 col. The issue being getting that much would be the most work I've ever done in my life, and that's on the very low estimate of 100,000. I wouldn't doubt there's millionaires out there either. Today I made a little, and the starting col has lasted me this long, so I'm guessing I would need to work nonstop for months if I wanted to truly be the richest.

Swallowing the last drop of soup, Yasu would thank Roger and make his way up the stairs to his room. This was going to be troublesome. I can get a job as an appraiser and rake in money from the top players, but to do that I'd need to have a good reputation, and the thing about a good reputation is you get that by giving your job everything you have. So, I need to become an appraiser, open an inn and constantly kill monsters for a few months. But by then I'll have a massive material income and nothing to do with them, so maybe I could sell them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loot Bag:

Spoiler

180 col

1 Demonic Shard

9 Materials

As Yasu walked into his room, he would look around at the facilities he had been afforded. This was a comfy room with wooden everything except for the bed. The kid would walk to the center and stand for a moment, looking to the corner to find a desk nestled in and a chair underneath it. This was going to be his planning room. "Better log my findings." He would pull out a small book bound in leather and a nice inkwell pen. Writing was so much easier with a pen like this, so he preferred it over a ballpoint of a quill. His col and materials would find themselves neatly written in a list, noting where they were found and what he would like to do with them.

A quick sketch of the demonic shard would also be placed on the page with a physical description underneath. Next to the name of the item, a question mark would find itself implying that the kid had no idea what to do with it. "First order of business, finding out what the hell this thing does." He would say, putting down the pen and closing his journal. The day had been logged, everyone he'd met written in and his goal set. "Tomorrow, I gather some more."

The kid would grin to himself, walking over to the bed and sitting down. Unequipping his boots he would fall back with his hands in his pockets as he closed his eyes and drifted off into a hazy and confusing dream. One thing he did remember however, was that he was wearing a crown and a satin cape, sitting on a mile high pile of col and shouting,

"I am Monarch, king of this Iron Castle!"

-------------------------------------------------------

Thread summary:

270 [link] + 300 (quest reward) = 570 EXP

400 + 180 = 580 col

9 Materials

1 Demonic Shard

1 Rare unidentified trinket