[PP|F1]Only a memory <<The first lesson>>

Kieran Quinn was a young man on a mission… protect his sister. She made that mission damn near impossible every time she snuck off in this new world of theirs. From the rooftops, Kieran could see a lot, it was his favorite place. Quiet, empty, and devoid of those idiots trying to make a play on Andi. His menu was open as he munched on a bit of cheese toast and tracked the young girl’s movements. Slowly she was coming up on him, and she hadn’t changed course so obviously she had no clue where he was (or she was looking for him). The man would shift his weight and slip down the side of the building to land right next to the slightly younger woman. His eyes read “Don’t disappear again.” But the message he presses send on simply says “Found you.”

The pair had been trapped for a short time, somewhere on two weeks, and while they were here Kieran was working on gathering as much information as he could without actually leaving his sister unattended in a field somewhere. Along the way he had learned about some tutorials you could do to catch up to those who had immediately started racing for the top, but the problem was you needed to speak to an NPC and speaking just wasn’t the man’s style. Whatever he couldn’t say she would have to, because as much as the boy hated seeing his sister come out into the field, he knew that doing all of her fighting left him gassed for his own fights, so he would have to help her get stronger than he ever was. Another message would be sent to his sister as Kieran spun and looked at her.

”Remember… you do the talking.” The boy gave Anansi a bright smile and a peace sign with his right hand as he walked backwards through the street.

Andi found herself, for not the first time, wandering the streets of the beginner town on the first floor of Aincrad. Two weeks had been all that passed since it was announced to the player base that they were trapped in this game, and a lot had happened, mostly panicking, and her brother just getting even more protective then he normally was. Call her crazy but exploring this game world was still exciting, and she never left the town, but seeing how real it all was still left her with a sense of wonder. Her thoughts were soon interrupted by her brother Kieran, known as Lugh if you looked at his username, dropping down from the rooftops beside her. "You know I hate it when you do that." She laughingly said to her brother as he stood up sending her a message. He didn't talk much, if at all, and the ability to talk through the in game system made that a lot easier with him just sending her messages instead of opening his mouth. 

"I know, I always do all of the talking." Andi rolled her eyes before stepping in stride beside her brother. "So where are we going anyways, I know you said it was a tutorial of sorts, but what does that mean?" Andi waited for the message that she knew her brother was going to send her, the only time he actually talked was when it was important, idle chit chat not being that. Even his messages somehow seemed to show his pension for not talking much as they were normally decently short and to the point.

Spoiler

Anansi,
Level: 1
Paragon Level: 0
HP: 20/20
EN: 20/20

Stats:
Damage: 6

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <Rose Thorn> T1 R Saber DAM 2
Armor:
Misc:

Skills:
Saber R1

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions x3

Edited by Anansi

As Kieran walked, Andi spoke. A common occurrence for the pair as Lugh stepped up on a raised part of the sidewalk. “A tutorial is all I’ve heard about it, you don’t have to worry about fighting because there is none.” The boy’s message would send, and he would point at a door across the street  signifying the next step of their journey. As he hopped down and walked to the door, holding it open for his sister obviously, he would step in and stare directly at Dorian.

”You there, stop please. I need your help.” The mayor of the town would approach the pair. Lugh would nod, hoping that was sufficient. Luckily, it seemed for this part it was. “Thank you, you see, I’ve given someone a loan and uh…” The old man would sway nervously, pulling at the tie around his neck. “I can’t seem to remember who I paid it too, so collecting has become a bit of a debacle.” Had Kieran been at all invested in the story of this NPC he would chuckle, but instead the kid would place his hand on the mayor’s shoulder. Looking him in the eye, the Irish boy would smirk and wave his head towards his sister. The mayor would yet stare at the pair waiting for and answer.

Dejected, Kieran would slink back behind his sister. It was weird, despite protecting his sister every chance he got, if ever Kieran felt nervous his sister being nearby seemed to help wonders.

After Kieran's failed attempt to get a response out of the mayor without using any words, it was Andi's turn, which had so far been the normal for the duo. Andi would talk to whatever needed talking to, and Kieran would try to nod and glare his way through all conversations. Andi chuckled a tiny bit giving her brother a reassuring tap on the shoulder as he gave her the floor to deal with their new NPC. "It was pretty careless of you to forget something so important you know." Andi almost seemed to be chastising the NPC, something that she had gotten a lot of experience doing with her brother. "Who exactly do you think you gave the loan too?." Andi put her hand on her hip as she waited for a response from him "Excellent, I knew I could count on you! You might start with Zackariah, the alchemist. He's often doing projects for the town, so it may have been him that borrowed the money." 

With that a quest window popped up for the pair, and upon hitting accept the mayor seemed to get quite nervous and scurry away, seemingly to bother other players for help. "Well then." Andi turned to face her brother clapping her hands together "Time for a real quest." She smiled at her brother, and was clearly very excited at the thought of some excitement. Before stepping past him and out of the door. "Hurry up, I want to get going."

Letting his sister take point always made the overprotective brother uncomfortable, because it's a lot harder to guard from the rear. As much as the kid liked swooping in to protect her, he couldn't help but feel like every moment he spent hiding behind her was one wasted. He had to get strong and earn his way out of this world so he could tell his ma just how brave Andi was. There's something strange about a younger lass being braver than myself. The man would step back in front of his sister in an almost competitive way, and he would watch the side streets and front like a hawk, all the while pouring tea from a thermos into a pretty cup and passing it back to the girl.

It wouldn't be long before the pair would show up to Zackariah's shop, and once inside, Kieran would lock eyes with the owner, then turn and scan the aisles as if he were a professional bodyguard. His hand would reach up for the sword on his back as he stepped lightly. If he couldn't handle everything, he would have to do what he could handle perfectly. By all means, he had the technique down to a T, only problem was he hadn't needed to save her since they started this game. Too bad I can't show Andi just how strong I am. She must think her brother is a bit of a dork, but I'm trying my best little sister.

Andi rolled her eyes at her brothers act, she appreciated it, but he was being more protective than she needed him to be, she was just as strong as he was, even if he didn't see it, she had been practicing so that she could be his equal, so that he wouldn't have to worry about her so much, he was always the one protecting, it was her turn to do the same for once. Andi walked up to Zackariah as her brother watched the door like a guard dog, ready to pounce on any enemy that came into the shop "You know this is a safe zone right? No one can hurt us here, you can relax." Andi gave her brother a concerned look before turning to the alchemist.

"I heard the mayor may have given you a loan, and he wanted us to help to see if you could pay him back." the man behind the counter, presumably Zackariah seemed very distracted before he responded not really answering her question at all.  “Would you gather a few materials for me? Flowers, herbs, rare woods, whatever you can find outside the city walls. I promise I’ll help you fill your order as soon as you return. In fact, I would be willing to show you how to do it yourself.” Andi heard the ding of a pop up, followed by another one soon after, knowing that her and her brother had gotten the same quest she hit accept. "Well I guess you can't expect it to be that easy." She grinned at her brother, this was the most excitement that they had seen since they started this game, and she, being the thrill seeker she was, was beyond excited to head outside of the gates

Kieran would click accept, still emotionally wounded by his sister's insult earlier. As they walked out of the shop, the older brother would look at his sister and stick his tongue out in a mocking manner. Yeah I know it's a safe zone, but even still, an open eye is better than a shut one. I've heard of players who like to follow others to the field while they're distracted and kill them. Of course, he wouldn't tell his sister that, she deserved to be without fear for at least a little longer. He wanted her to just accept that her brother would always be there to protect her, whether she thinks he's weird or not.

Cutting through the town wouldn't take long, but even once they stepped out into the field, Kieran couldn't find anything that really stood out. The monsters were far enough away that they shouldn't be a problem, but he still kept one eye on the quest and the other firmly planted on Andi. If trouble was to come right now, he would know... And he would take care of it. The game is still fresh enough it shouldn't be a big issue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action taken: Material Search

Roll ID: 203610

LD: 6 fail

Edited by Lugh

Anansi chuckled at his brother, he may not talk anymore, but he was the same old dork that she had grown up with, even now. The walk to the fields surrounding the town of beginnings was done in comfortable silence, like most of their walks, and their interactions as a whole. It didn't take very long before the pair were surrounded by green on all sides, the only two players outside of the town in their vicinity.

Looking over Anansi could see that here brother was as lost as she was, and that he seemingly had no real idea what they were looking for either. "So, what exactly are we even looking for here?" Andi looked at the expansive fields around her, finding nothing that seemed to pop out at her, and the quest wasn't much more helpful, just saying that they needed to find materials. They had only been in this game a few weeks, and seemingly most people were too scared to figure out what was needed for these quests, information was pretty limited.

Spoiler

Gathering:

image.png.f10b914cdc40b15d0692ca1bdf7cb80a.png

LD: 2 = failure

Edited by Anansi

Being out in the field had Lugh on edge. Why were they out here? The young lad had very little clue. So the mayor had us look for the person he loaned money to... Then the first person we ask sends us out here to collect something for him? Seems mighty convenient he ignored my sister, perhaps I should take him out. The Irish man pulls his menu up and places his sword right on his back, reaching up and drawing it. Nah, it'd be a waste of my time. Plus I'm not sure I could. Turning his eye away and glancing around the field nothing would stick out. A sigh of exasperation would escape as the boy turns to his sister, her question would grab his attention and hold it.

Typing out a message wouldn't take long, the kid being so used to texting his sister instead of responding. "I don't know, look for something weird." Lugh would sheathe his sword with a flourish as he sends the message. His eyes would shift over to the horizon, trying to count the hours until the sun sets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Action Taken: Material Search

Roll ID: 203765

LD: 2 (fail)

Edited by Lugh