buffs

Spoiler

| PARAGON REWARDS

• None

| BUFFS

• None

1018448371_Caliburn-100x100-Stats.png.d70b713e01474efcfbb91f1bbf71d609.png

???, Nov. 6, 2022

The world began awash with colors. Too many, in fact. Everything was white. The only thing to accompany him on the brief journey from the real world to the virtual world of Aincrad was the chime of the NerveGear, presumably connecting to the game's servers. Nothing to feel, to taste or smell. Nothing but that singular chime and a rush of colors blurring together into an all encompassing white.

And all at once it was gone, replaced with rolling fields, the sounds of chatter. He could feel it, smell it. The ground beneath his feet, the impossibly clean, crisp air of a world that had never known carbon pollution. Caliburn looked around in awe, a smile quickly growing on his face. But the novelty of this new technology was not the reason for the broad grin the man wore on his face. No, it was the fact that he would finally be able to meet the girl he thought of as his closest friend for the first time, face to face.

'Well, avatar to avatar,' Caliburn thought humorously to himself as he jauntily made his way towards the giant walled city the game had decided to drop him before. Presumably, all new players would start somewhere around here, right? Caliburn didn't really have any experience with MMOs until now, but that seemed the most reasonable assumption. Just didn't make much sense to get thrown elsewhere.

'Hmm, I should probably wait around here for her,' the man thought as he approached the grand entrance, a couple of guards outside it standing dutifully, guarding against whatever threats may lie outside the walls. Caliburn leaned back against the wall of the arch, hands lazily shoved in his pockets as his eyes examined the faces of each player that came and went. He wondered what she would look like in this game.

He also wished he had some way to message her and let her know he was here...Actually, how did he access the menus? Everything so far in the game had felt so...natural, walking, breathing, it was all there. He had completely forgotten for a moment that none of this was real, that it was all a game.

Caliburn made a face as he tried to figure it all out, his lips pursed and his brows furrowed as his eyes drifted to the side. Maybe...? Nope...thinking about it apparently didn't work.

"Ugh, Kanaaaaa, where are you, help me out here!"

Edited by Caliburn

⭒❃.✮:▹Kana◃:✮.❃⭒

STATS
  • Level: 1
  • Paragon Level: --
  • SP: 1/5
  • HP: 20
  • EN: 20
  • DMG: 4

SKILLS

• Dagger I | +3 damage when equipped with a Dagger

EQUIPMENT

• Vanity Dagger
  • Vanity Light Armor

CONSUMABLES

• x3 | [50 HP] Healing Potion
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/34/f9/9634f9c9e8af49fb7128fcf3c2d332b8.jpg

The first thing she felt was the breeze on her skin.

With eyes still screwed shut - the kaleidoscope of colors had been far too much for her - Kana simply marveled in the wind's delicate caress. How it toyed with her loose-fitting clothes, and tugged playfully at her hair. How it somehow smelled like warm sun, green grass, and a cloudless blue sky. She knew, even before those whiskey eyes opened, that she'd find herself in the middle of a paradise. And when she finally took the plunge, finally took in her surroundings, all she could do was sigh. It was, in a word, remarkable. 

All around her, Kana found herself reflected in the other Players who shimmered into existence. The wonder in their expressions, and the joy in their smiles as they wandered off to do... whatever they planned to do. Most likely explore, or locate their starting gear, or find a quiet place to assign their first skill points. Hell, some of the more ambitious Players were likely already heading out for their first quests. Soon, Kana would do all that, and more. But not now. Despite the beauty, and the mystery, and the sheer magic of Aincrad, Kana's thoughts circled back to Caliburn.

They always did, though she sometimes hated to say so. She had a hard time admitting, even to herself, that he had enchanted her for over a year. How she could have fallen so fast, so completely, for a man she had never met just baffled her. It was irrational, and illogical, and potentially no more than a fantasy. But so was this place. It made no sense that she might exist in this place while her body rest atop her neatly made bed in her pretty little bedroom. Yet here we are.

The breeze came again, carrying with it the chatter of voices and smell of food carts. That's where the action is, Kana decided, falling into step beside the hoards of other Players as they drifted toward Starting City. That's where I need to go. That's where I'll find him.

"Green hair, orange eyes," she chanted under her breath, the repetition a bit like a murmured prayer. He had described his avatar, and she had done the same, before they took the dive. Yet in the swarming sea of faces, there were a startling number of green-haired, orange-eyed men.

Would she recognize him? The romance novels Kana indulged in spoke often of true love, and she herself had written about it in numerous roleplays. But did it exist in real life, and for the complex friendship they shared? Would she simply look at him, hear the angels sing, and get that 'struck by a train' sensation? Or did-

Instead of an angel's chorus, a rank-one performer pitifully squeaked out Freaks on a trumpet. She hardly heard it as his voice rang out, a sound so startling familiar in such a foreign place. And while no train barreled through the streets of Starting City, Kana's stomach and heart both leaped into her throat. 

A part of her wanted to throw herself into his arms. Or take him into hers. Either way, there would be lots of hugging. And if she were in charge, she would never let go. But that part of her, as it often did, stepped back into the shadows. Emi slipped into the wings, and allowed Kana to take center stage.

"In the game for five minutes," she called back, "and you already need me. Typical."

Although there were no choirs of angels or silly 'time stands still' moment as their eyes met for the first time, the sound of Kana's voice chastising him was like music to the man's ears, a sweet melody that filled every part of his being.

A broad grin spread across his face as he turned to look at the source of the voice. "Kana!" he practically shouted with almost childlike excitement as he rushed towards her. Without warning, the man pulled the other woman into a tight hug.

There were no words to accurately describe the whirlwind of emotions that rushed through Hikaru as soon as he pulled, or rather dragged, Kana into his embrace. A tightness in his chest. Not the 'about to burst' kind that everyone always associated with feelings of...what was it again...It was more like he couldn't breath, couldn't draw air into his lungs. At at the same time, it had never been easier. Every single lungful of air was extraordinary and wonderful, like it was the first breath of fresh air he'd ever experienced in his entire life.

Whatever this indescribable emotion was, Hikaru wanted it to last.

But he stole only a single moment more of it for himself. They weren't his moments to steal anyways. Caliburn separated from Kana, grabbing her shoulders, practically shaking her. "I can't believe it! It's so good to actually get to meet you - well, ya know..." Oh no. He was rambling.

Caliburn let go of Kana's shoulders finally and laughed nervously, as he rubbed the back of his neck. "S-sorry," he apologized, before balling his hand into a fist and coughing into it. "I'm glad we're finally able to meet like this."

Edited by Caliburn

If there were any air in her lungs, it would have wooshed out as he tugged her into his arms. Her face plowed into his shoulder, and she was immediately assaulted by a scent she could only describe as... masculine. She found she didn't mind it, just as she didn't care about being squashed by his bear-hug. In fact, Kana indulged herself by slipping her arms around his waist, and squeezing with a ferocity that suggested she hoped to phase right through him. I should let go, she thought, even as she committed everything about the moment to memory. His warm breath against her ear. The slight trembling in his arms (or was that hers?). Every spot where her body touched his. I should let go. I should let go. I should le-

He let go of her, and as cool air rushed to fill the space between them, Kana's skin continued to burn. Effortlessly, she blinked the disappointment from her amber eyes, and schooled her expression into one of playful annoyance. "Don't suffocate me with a hug, and kill me before we even get started." But even she couldn't hold the mask for long, her features softening as she beamed at him. "It's good to meet you too, Cal. Really, really good."

Really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really.....

"And in such a cool place, too!" Throwing her arms wide, Kana gestured to the entire Town of Beginnings. "Have you had a chance to look around at all?" With a mischievous grin, she added, "I'm going to be really disappointed if you scoped out all of the good stuff without me."

Glad that his exuberance was not taken the wrong way, Caliburn broke into a wide, toothy grin once more. He watched as she span in a circle with outstretched arms, exclamations of fascinations. Like an announcer or something, with all the captivating presence. Or maybe that was just to him.

"Kana, I can't even figure out how to open the menus," he replied to the girl, crossing his arms and cocking a brow at her. "If I went anywhere without you right now, I'd be lost. And then you'd kick my ass for making you come find me." Caliburn really was useless when it came to these sorts of things. He'd never been much of a computer person, aside from Word documents. He had a hard time figuring out what all the options in the settings menus even meant.

"But, that means we can go explore together! I've got the whole day cleared for this! We can do whatever you want, and I'll just follow along!" Hikaru had gone out of his way to make sure his fridge was stocked full of drinks and microwave meals, and cups of instant ramen were ready to be made at a moment's notice, that way he wouldn't have to leave for more than a few minutes for anything today. After trying to meet each other for so long, he wasn't about to waste a single second on something as menial as walking for food.

Kana grinned fiercely. "Where would you be without me?" she asked him, then shifted so that they stood side-by-side. Lifting her hand, she gave her wrist a flick, and let her fingers twirl dramatically. In truth, she had no idea if she was doing it right - she had just seen someone else do a similar gesture, and then stare blankly into space. It looked promising, so she mimicked it, and was rewarded with the twinkle of chimes. "There ya go," she declared, as if she had had complete certainty all along. So caught up in her theatrics, she failed to notice the slash through the "log out" option.

With a similar flick, she dismissed her HUD, then turned to face Cal. As his comment registered, the smile faltered slightly. "I don't have all day," she replied, voice missing some of the enthusiasm from earlier. In fact, she would be lucky to secure a full hour for the game, between her various lessons. A fleet of tutors were arriving to help her prepare for January, when she would transfer to a prestigious medical school. She would be entering in the middle of the year, but it was the soonest that her parents could get her in. So many strings had been tugged to make it work that Kana was impressed the universe didn't simply unravel.

Not that she had told Cal about it yet. She wasn't sure how. And now isn't the time, anyway.

"What do you say we go grab a table at an inn somewhere? See how the game managed to recreate food and drinks?" She waggled her eyebrows at him, but couldn't keep the faint blush from creeping to her cheeks. "A good plan for a first date, right?"

Caliburn's avatar made a show of trying to think of what he'd be doing right now, were it not for the oh-so-unpleasant distraction that was Kana. With eyes fixed on the ceiling, and a fist beneath his chin, the man appeared to settle on an answer. "Probably sleeping. Yeah, definitely sleeping," he flashed her a quick smile before she moved to his side, but as soon as she was standing next to him, gently jostling him, shoulder to shoulder, the man felt a heat begin to rise in his face. 

'W-that- am I blushing!?'

Hikaru tried to shake his head clear of whatever had just overcome him, and focus on Kana teaching him how to open the menu. Unfortunately, he hadn't paid enough attention to get it the first time. The man mimicked the gesture as best he could, but nothing happened the first time. Nor the second, or the third. "Uh...Kana, am I doing this ri- Oh! Nevermind, I got it now!" The man grinned, ecstatic at his progress within the game. Sure, most players probably knew how to do all this within the first, like, five seconds of getting in-game, but Caliburn was not like most players!

"Aw, wait, really?" the man said, disappointed as soon as he heard that Kana might not be able hang out as much as he'd been hoping. Well, he supposed there was something to be said there about blind optimism. "Well, I'll take whatever I can get then."

"What do you say we go grab a table at an inn somewhere? See how the game managed to recreate food and drinks? A good plan for a first date, right?"

"Ohhhh, a date, is it?" Caliburn replied with the absolute biggest shit-eating grin on his face imaginable, all the while he wiggled his eyebrows in a manner that was both highly obnoxious, and also made one wonder if his eyebrows were actually just living caterpillars. "Well then, my fair lady," Caliburn made an exaggerated bow, stepping back with his right foot, his left hand kept behind his back and he made a flourish with his right. The hand then slowly arced from the man's side to his front, stopping just before Kana. The man turned his head to look up at the girl with one eye open from his bent over position. "Might you grace me with your hand this evening?"

Caliburn was just glad that Kana could hardly see the fire hydrant red color that his face had become. Steam was practically coming out of his ears, this was so dang embarrassing, what was he doing!?

Edited by Caliburn
  • 3 weeks later...

Though her fluttering eyelashes and high-pitched trill of laughter were all theatrics, genuine pleasure lanced through her as she took his hand. That feeling bloomed, spreading warmth across every inch of her skin while she walked beside him. “Such a gentlemen,” she commented as they turned into the nearest tavern. Of course, he opened the door for her, and she laughed as she ducked under his arm.

As they had when she first logged into the game, sights, sounds, and smells assaulted her the moment she stepped inside. The rolling thunder of voices, and occasional crack of laughter, gave the space a warm, welcoming feel. The fire crackling cheerfully in the hearth, though perhaps not needed, contributed to that atmosphere. And the SMELLS. Could an in-game avatar salivate? Because she’s pretty sure she did.

“How about this one?” Kana proposed, motioning to a tiny table tucked in a corner. When Cal didn’t object, she dropped into the seat, grabbed for a menu. Then scowled.

”I, uh, just remembered we don’t really have any money. But if we pooled our resources, we could probably afford some drinks? Annnnnd maybe some breadsticks?”

The soft touch of Kana's hand against his. It was unlike anything Caliburn had ever felt before. How did people usually describe it? 'Like sparks flying', that was it. Like a jolt of electricity running through his fingertips and spreading through his entire body, he almost swore he was physically shaking from...excitement? Happiness? Some mix in-between certainly. Even if this was all virtual, and none of it was real, it felt like so much more.

"C'mon, let's go," he said, quickly brushing past Kana and almost dragging her along with him towards the first food-like establishment he could set his eyes on. He hoped to god she couldn't see that all the confidence, chivalry and bravado were just an act, that right now, he was trying to keep it all together and not just melt into a puddle on the floor.

Caliburn opened the door for his friend, gesturing for her to enter first, "M'lady," and then followed her in towards the table she'd indicated. A part of him was a little disappointed she'd managed to seat herself before he'd even had the chance of so very gallantly pulling her chair out for her, but he'd make do. Besides, if he actually had done that, maybe the people around them would've assumed they're dating. Which they weren't. So why let people think that? And why was Caliburn thinking about this so much?

"Uh, yeah, breadsticks!" Caliburn suddenly piped up, realizing he'd gotten lost in thought. "Yeah, we can do that," he chuckled, before looking around and actually taking in the inn for the first time. It was everything he'd expected from a fantasy setting. Bustling, loud, full of drunk people, or at least people pretending to be drunk, and a lot of laughter. The green-haired man smiled as he watched so many happy people.

"So what should we do first?" Caliburn then asked Kana as he turned his gaze back to hers. "Oh! You mentioned we were short on money, how do we get more? Do we have to go find a job or something?"

Her head tilted as she studied him, the blue hair spilling across her shoulder like a waterfall. Blue, instead of her usual blonde. But wasn't blonde just so boring? Most things about Emiko were boring, from her natural hair to her average height to her some-what lacking build. What was better than all of that? Crazy hair, long legs, and huge boobs. Without even realizing what she was doing, Kana glanced down at her enormous chest as it bulged over the table. Oh yeah. Nailed it.

Just as Caliburn's mind had wandered, so too had Kana's. So when he finally spoke again, his voice drew her gaze back to him. "I guess we could get jobs?" she wondered aloud. "I mean, when I think of getting money, that's my first though." Yet even as her lips formed the words, they turned downward in a small scowl. "But I didn't really dive in here just to work, especially if it means doing something without you." A bold statement, and hopefully he wouldn't notice the way her fingers nervously traced the etches in the wooden tabletop. "Maybe we could do some quests or something?"

This time, her lips pursed in thought. "I know the game is super new, but I wonder if there are any walkthroughs or tutorials out already. Maybe a video put out by a beta tester? I normally like to study a game before I start playing, so I don't feel like I'm just wandering in the dark."

Kana's eyes were locked on him when he'd finally turned his attention back to the girl. Some sort of firm, piercing gaze that seemed to take him in, made it hard to breathe. Like she was absorbing him. Or at least his avatar. The sharp feature's he'd chosen to worn, the crisp, all too clear to be real amber eyes, his tall and lanky form, perhaps a bit more firm than it's real life counterpart. Though modeled on his appearance in the real world, down to the obnoxiously colored green hair, it was all too ideal, the pen of an artist's tablet too exact.

All in the same vein, Kana sitting across from him, idle fingers slowly moving along the table's edge, the cascading blue locks the same color as seafoam, and, though he was loathe to admit it, a figure that drew the eye. All of it too perfectly put together. He wondered what she looked like in person, and not through the rosy lens of virtual reality.

He bet she was beautiful.

"Oh, right! I watch playthroughs all the time! I hadn't seen any for Sword Art, though," Caliburn replied. "I guess they were really strict about making sure nothing got leaked." He'd looked up the game as soon as Kana had mentioned it to him, his curiosity getting the better of him as always. The idea of getting to meet the person who he'd argue was his best friend for the first time, even if it was through the wired connection of a NerveGear, had been something he absolutely could not ignore for any period of time. "Would be nice if someone had gotten something through though...maybe one of them told us how to order some bread," he added before looking around. Maybe there was a server like in real life?