[F1-SP] All Was Golden in The Sky <<Nature's Treasure>>

Rumours spread of a garden teeming with riches, practically begging to be pilfered by those bold enough to seek it out. Cleo, a player who'd found themselves in need of Col yet having no easy way to get it, naturally gravitated toward these rumours and the riches they spoke of. She imagined herself curled up in a chair by a fireplace, a cup of coffee in one hand and a book in the other, minding nobody's business but her own within the confines of her own home. A comfortable thought—a dream—and nothing more.

To make that dream a reality, she scoped out the NPC that, if her sources were correct, would lead her out to the fabled gardens. A kind-looking man by the name of Nemo, his face muddied face and fingernails logged with dirt, he certainly looked the part.

"Excuse me; are you Nemo?" she engaged with him directly.

"Hm? Yes," responded the Gardener, his tone befitting a gentle soul. Portraying neither shock nor surprise, he seemed to already know why she sought him out. "Are you in search of Little Eden?"

"I think so," Cleo answered. In truth, she sought out the treasures within the garden moreso than the garden itself. "It's said to house rich- I mean, rare... flowers? Is that correct?"

Nemo's demeanor shifted to one of joy. "A fellow Botanist. Indeed, Little Eden is a utopia for all life, flora and fauna - though, the flowers are one of my favourite things about it, too. Would you like me to take you there?"

Cleo perked up. "Please." For now, she'd conceal her true motivations, lest Nemo air his reservations about them.

Spoiler

Them
Level 18 | HP 360 | EN 64 | DMG: 17 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 12 | PROSP: 3 | BLD: 24 (8-10) | PLZ (9-10)

Equipment:

• Heart's Bane (T2:Perfect:Dagger) (Bleed 2 / Paralyze 1)
  • Arrowhead Broach (T1:Perfect:Trinket) (Accuracy 3)
  • Chromium Shard (T1:Perfect:Trinket) (Prosperity 3)

Bag:

• Investigator's Jacket (T2:Perfect:CA) (Mitigation 1 / Evasion 2)
  • Music Box (T1:Perfect:Trinket) (Loot Die 3)
  • (3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)
  • (6) T1 Uncommon Health Potions: Heals 5% of Maximum HP.
  • (1) T1 Uncommon Damage Potion: +1 DMG for an entire thread.
  • (1) T1 Uncommon Overhealth Potion: Adds 5% of Maximum HP to users Maximum HP for a thread.

Skills:

• Dagger R5
    • > Stamina
    • > Precision
    • > Ferocity
  • Cloth Armor R3
    • > Athletics
  • Energist
  • Combat Mastery: Damage R3
  • Combat Shift: AOE

Extra Skills:

• Meditation
  • Concentration

Edited by Them

"It's quite the walk; we'll be nearing the edge of the world, in fact. Are you ready to leave now?"

As the last word slipped from Nemo's tongue, a quest window appeared, the characteristic blue and red buttons catching Cleo's eyes. She accepted without a second thought. "I've everything we'd need for a long journey, been on a few of those recently." Indeed, the Player's travels led her across a great deal of the early floors. Never as far 'the edge', though. She had imagined what it might be like: a monolithic wall encapsulating the floor, a railing one might topple over if they were careless enough to lose their footing, or, perhaps, nothing. A path leading into an open sky upon which there was only one destination, Death. Sufficed to say, she was equal parts eager and hesitant to find out.

Nemo, as an NPC would, set off along the path with haste. "Then we leave at once! I have no doubts we'll be safe, an experienced adventurer like you around to protect us."

Cleo hesitated, knowing herself not to be experienced nor truly an adventurer. Her strength surpassed that of anything they might encounter on their way to the Garden, however, so she spared him any correction and joined the man at his side.

Edited by Them

Despite distancing themselves considerably from Tolbana, Cleo could still see the town from afar when she looked back. Flat fields and thin forests meant there was little to obscure an entire settlement, much less the second largest one on the floor. She cast her eyes back to the path ahead, lingering on Nemo for a fleeting moment. His sunny disposition proved infectious as Cleo found herself feeling cheery, simply happy to be out and about with present company.

"Do you bring a lot of people to Little Eden, then?" She initiated conversation; they still had a good distance to cover, and it wouldn't do to finish in silence.

"A few," the man answered, his voice as smooth and sprightly as a glass of lemonade on a warm, sunny day. "I make this trip most days to tend the Gardens, so I don't mind it when a curious traveler wants to accompany me on the way."

No doubt wanting a taste of its treasures, she thought. Cleo could hardly talk. That's exactly why she wanted to go there, too.

Edited by Them

"Well, it's an honour to be among the ranks of those travelers. I do love me some plants!" A lie. She cared little for plants. Well, not entirely so, but in the context of the situation, her interests lay more in the Col and the materials the Gardens would have to offer than whatever flora had been planted there by Nemo.

"And I can't wait to show you around! Tell me, which member of the flowering plant group is your favourite?" Eager to share his enthusiasm with another person, Nemo shared a look with Cleo; his excited, hers caught off guard.

Cleo, fixing as convincing a smile as she could, panicked. "The... flowering plants? Right! Of course. I like... the red ones."

Nemo remained silent after she replied, wondering if there might be any more to it. When the silence hung in the air long enough, he nodded, his smile unwavering yet his eyes portraying disappointment. "Oh. Yes, I find the red ones to be quite striking, indeed."

Edited by Them

They remained silent for most of the remaining journey, exchanging a few words in between when the need arose, yet the small talk died when Cleo realized Nemo may have started to question her ambitions. His once infectious grin had become a distant smile, yet he'd not asked for her to leave him alone, which she took was a positive sign. He hadn't decided to take back his word of bringing her into the Gardens, at least.

Quite rapidly, the scenery shifted from unassuming forestry to a plentiful, sprawling garden. Bushes of flowers encapsulated the utopia, where a dozen species of animals grazed on the grasses and frolicked in the trees, which spread into a dense forest as far as the eye could see. Cleo had only began to bathe in its natural beauty when she realised that Nemo, standing by the path they'd used to enter, didn't follow her inside.

"Please enjoy Little Eden. I'll await your return."

Despite his calm demeanor, she could tell that the man had grown displeased with her. Perhaps he'd second guessed her motives having realised that her fondness for the plant life in the Gardens was but an elaborate ruse. Though she felt bad, she knew little would come from hesitating now. Cleo parted Nemo with a wave to which he made a forced smile back, and she made way for the inner sanctum of the Gardens.

Walking along a winding path that would put her out of Nemo's line of sight and outside of his sphere of guilty influence, she hadn't watched where she was going when she misplaced her foot upon the tail of an angry, family-oriented mob; a Snapdragon, a floral drake of pink and purple colour. It's cursor flashed orange, as did its comrades in the immediate vicinity. In a panic, she drew her dagger and lashed out at the nearest target, and then the next. Three of the targets fell leaving but one behind.

Spoiler

Them | Level 18 | HP 360/360 | EN 64/64 | DMG 17 | ACC 4 | MIT 12 | PROSP 3 | BLD 24 (8-10) | PRLZ (9-10)

Snapdragon #1 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #2 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #3 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #4 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72

--

| #208077 | BD 10+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #1 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG
| #208078 | BD 5+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #2 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG
| #208079 | BD 1+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #3 (miss) |  MD 5 (miss)
| #208080 | BD 5+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #4 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG

--

Cleo | Level 18 | HP 360/360 | EN 45/64 | DMG 17 | ACC 4 | MIT 12 | PROSP 3 | BLD 24 (8-10) | PRLZ (9-10)

Snapdragon #1 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #2 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72

Snapdragon #4 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72

Edited by Them

Just as quickly as the three Snapdragons had fallen, three more rushed in from the surrounding forests. Things had gone from zero to one hundred in such a short space of time and Cleo—having never fought more than a couple of mobs at once—started to panic as she realized the predicament she'd so carelessly placed herself in. All that she could think to do in the moment was lash out at the grouped-up mobs once again, hoping for the best that her blade might connect with some of them to thin out their numbers.

Executing a plan she'd spent seconds drawing up, the results were far better than she could ever have hoped for as a further three mobs fell to her dagger's edge. Grieving its slain brethren, the last remaining Snapdragon let out a battlecry to alert others of the invader, stopping only when Cleo tried to sneak in a fatal blow.

Spoiler

Cleo | Level 18 | HP 360/360 | EN 45/64 | DMG 17 | ACC 4 | MIT 12 | PROSP 3 | BLD 24 (8-10) | PRLZ (9-10)

Snapdragon #5 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #6 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #7 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72

--

| #208081 | BD 1+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #5 (miss) |  MD 6 (hit) | 72-12=60 DMG
| #208082 | BD 6+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #6 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG
| #208083 | BD 8+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #3 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG
| #208084 | BD 4+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #7 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG

--

Cleo | Level 18 | HP 300/360 | EN 26/64 | DMG 17 | ACC 4 | MIT 12 | PROSP 3 | BLD 24 (8-10) | PRLZ (9-10)

Snapdragon #6 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #3 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #7 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72

Edited by Them

The Snapdragon retreated into the forest where reinforcements lay in wait for the approaching danger. Having failed to keep track of her energy levels, Cleo realized too late that she could only get away with another couple of hits before she'd need to think about retreating. It was the first time she'd have ever been in such a situation; would the mobs rush her as she tried to run away? Did the game simply disallow escaping from a combat encounter? She desperately hoped to avoid stepping into such uncharted territory.

Making a last-ditch effort to take out every Snapdragon at once with a flurry of slashes, her attempts proved fruitful as the four remaining mobs exploded into shards before her eyes. The battle concluded. Finding time to catch her breath, she cycled through a wheel of emotions, relief chief among them.

The loot summary screen appeared shortly afterwards, leading Cleo to almost choke when she learned how much Col the encounter had been worth. "Holy shit!"

Spoiler

Cleo | Level 18 | HP 300/360 | EN 26/64 | DMG 17 | ACC 4 | MIT 12 | PROSP 3 | BLD 24 (8-10) | PRLZ (9-10)

Snapdragon #8 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #9 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #10 | HP 255/255 | DMG 72

--

| #208085 | BD 3+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #5 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG
| #208086 | BD 5+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #8 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG
| #208087 | BD 3+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #9 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG
| #208088 | BD 5+4 | AOE-I vs Snapdragon #10 (hit) | 17*15=255 DMG

--

Cleo | Level 18 | HP 300/360 | EN 7/64 | DMG 17 | ACC 4 | MIT 12 | PROSP 3 | BLD 24 (8-10) | PRLZ (9-10)

Snapdragon #5 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #8 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #9 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72
Snapdragon #10 | HP 0/255 | DMG 72

Spoiler

Nature's Treasure Loot:
10 Materials (Snapdragon #1-10 | 1 * 10)
10,200 Col (Snapdragon #1-10 - (255 HP * 4 Col = 1,020 Col) * 10 = 10,200 Col)

Normal Loot:
#208089 | LD 14 | CD 11 | T2 Rare Armor, 2,550 Col, 2 Materials
#208090 | LD 9 | CD 12 | T2 Rare Trinket, 2,295 Col, 2 Materials
#208091 | LD 8 | CD 2 | T2 Uncommon Consumable, 2,550 Col
#208092 | LD 15 | CD 6 | T2 Rare Armor, T2 Rare Consumable, 2,040 Col, 2 Materials
#208093 | LD 13 | CD 7 | T2 Rare Armor, T2 Rare Consumable, 1,530 Col, 4 Materials
#208094 | LD 12 | CD 11 | T2 Rare Armor, 2,550 Col, 2 Materials
#208095 | LD 10 | CD 7 | T2 Rare Trinket, 2,295 Col, 2 Materials
#208096 | LD 17 | CD 10 | T2 Rare Trinket, 2,805 Col, 2 Materials
#208097 | LD 16 | CD 8 | T2 Rare Armor, T2 Rare Consumable, 2,550 Col
#208098 | LD 4 | CD 5 | 2,040 Col, 2 Materials

Total Loot:
28 Materials
33,405 Col
T2 Rare Trinket (3)
T2 Rare Armor (5)
T2 Rare Consumable (3)
T2 Uncommon Consumable (1)

Edited by Them
  • 2 weeks later...

She sought respite at a nearby bench, the metal backrest shaped to resemble a row of flowers befit for such a picturesque garden. This detail became lost on Cleo as she sat on the center seat, one leg folded beneath her and both arms sprawled outward. The fight had been thrilling, if not outright terrifying. None of her previous combat encounters had been so intense, and none had drained quite so much of her energy. Thankfully, none of the Snapdragons made any unexpected movements and all had succumbed to her last attack, but if she'd missed instead and things had gone differently...

Cleo physically shook to shake the thoughts away. She'd survived it, that's all that mattered.

Now some way into the Gardens and finding time to sit down and truly appreciate it, she began to understand what the rumours meant when they spoke of its allure. The scene reminded her of the parkland surrounding Smålungeren, a lake in her home city, with flowers purporsefully arranged to draw attention to the beauty of the artificial lake. Of course, there was something to be said about the Garden's natural beauty, but it was strikingly obvious where Nemo had left traces of his infleunce on the otherwise untouched Little Eden.

Cleo | Level 18 | HP 310/360 (+10) | EN 9/64 (+2 | 1/3 EN Regen) | DMG 17 | ACC 4 | MIT 12 | PROSP 3 | BLD 24 (8-10) | PRLZ (9-10)

Edited by Them