[SP-F6] Calming the Soul

Shade heard rumors of a pond that had the power to grant any who meditate by it a strange power. And for Shade, power was a necessity. He walked through a cluster of leaves and saw the small pond, with the flat stones sitting above the water, remaining perfectly dry. "Hmph. Might as well get this over with quickly." He grunted, taking off his shoes and sword and stepping onto a stone.

As he closed his eyes and took a breath, he didn't feel at peace. This whole game was just ones and zeros. The ground wasn't real, the air wasn't real, and the waterfall wasn't real. How was he supposed to find peace in big world of lies and empty promises? Shade scoffed and opened his eyes. "Tch... What's the point?"

Shade sat up again and forced his eyes shut once more. "How the Hell am I supposed to embrace my inner tranquility? Is this some sort of feature of the game or did some religious swine start this damn rumor?" He spat out, getting sick and tired of trying to meditate. He bit his lip with frustration as nothing happened.

Shade kept his eyes shut and let out a stressed sigh. "What a colossal waste of my time." He then stayed silent for much longer, until he finally felt something inside. A slight tugging feeling. He then felt himself drift into unconsciousness, and he spoke no more after that feeling.

Shade woke up a few minutes later and he stood up, rubbing his eyes and looking around. "Where... Am I?" He said, looking around the room he was now in. "Impossible... This is... The home I grew up in..." He said nonchalantly, as a small, younger Shade walked by, holding a GameBoy in his hands.

"Then that must be... Me?" He said, watching his younger-self go about history. "Father, can you play GameBoy with me? You promised you would..." Young Shade said, pulling on his father's pant leg. "Not now, son! Why can't you leave mommy and daddy alone like good kids do?" Shade's father said, shooing away his son.

Shade clenched his fist and glared at the image of his father. "You bastard." Shade scoffed under his breath, as the memory of his father faded. Shade blinked as a new image came to light. Young Shade was playing with a GameCube while a woman talked with her friends. Young Shade looked over his shoulder at the woman and spoke up. "Mother, can you play Mario Cart with me? You said you would, and that was weeks ago..."

Shade's mother said something to her friends and they all laughed, and then she looked back to Shade. "Goodness, no! I'm with friends right now sweetums, can't you see I'm busy? Play by yourself and maybe we can play tomorrow. Okay?" Shade sighed and looked down as she went back to ignoring him. "That's what you said for weeks now, mother..."

The image faded and Shade now stood in a cave, made of sleek black rock. Most likely obsidian. Shade took a few steps and felt black, sandy gravel beneath beneath his shoes. He walked for a bit and looked around, curious as to what this place was exactly. "Where is this? This wasn't from my childhood..."

Shade walked for a bit and then the room came to a much larger opening, an arena of sorts. Shade walked for a bit, and then saw a figure start to appear in the room. "What are you? Another memory?" Shade shouted, grabbing his cutlass. The figure finally came to light and Shade could now clearly see who it was.

"What the..?" Shade stuttered, as the figure was now clearly visible. It looked exactly as he did, but had white hair with blue highlights. And wore a white jacket instead of black. "Who, and what, are you?" Shade demanded, glaring at the doppelganger. "Shade, I'm you. Your better half, at least."

Shade scoffed and crossed his arms. "Better half? Are you suggesting I'm lesser than you?" Light Shade shook his head and spoke again. "No. You see, I'm the kind of person you could have been. I still exsist deep down in your mind, but after years of resent, I'm lost."

"Ever since your childhood, you blamed yourself for never getting attention. It made you into a hardened, distant man. It made you tough to know, and unsociable." shade turned his head and scoffed. "Whatever. I don't need anyone. I don't need you."

Light Shade raised an eyebrow and sighed. "Oh? Well, I'm the one who watches over your morality, you compassion, all your human feelings. So I think you do need me." Shade glared at the faker and scoffed. "I have my own morality. I'll do what's right, so long as it aligns with my goals. I work on my own accord."

"Shade, I'm the one who keeps you human." Shade glared at the copy and drew his sword. "I suggest that you start giving me more straightforward answers, now." The faker gulped and held up his hands. "You see, I'm your light half! The half that keeps you from falling into darkness." Shade frowned and crossed his arms.

Shade then drew his sword again. "Darkness... Is that all you see me as? Just some fool who you have to babysit? No, I'm not darkness's slave. I am darkness! I am the envoy of all that is dark! This is who I am!" Light Shade gulped and took a few steps back. "What... What are you saying!?" Shade frowned and looked back to his fake. "I'm saying, I decide who I am. I can be a hero, or a villian. The choice is mine and mine alone."

Shade walked up to his faker and thrust his sword through his chest. "I'm sorry, but your services are no longer needed." Light Shade gasped as the sword ripped through his body. "Y-You were supposed to destroy your darkness... No-Not embrace it!" Shade scoffed and pulled his sword out, kicking his copy to the ground. "I already told you. I am the only one who can decide my destiny."