[PP-F1] Toilsome Travels: Trouble of the Hood

« Link . . . Start ! »

LinkStart_zpsaa719e4e.jpg

"Well alright! Movin' right along."

Raab carefully adjusted the goggles atop his forehead as he allowed his body time to grow accustomed to the «NerveGear» hardware, each movement becoming more organic than the one previous until the player had reached 100% synchronization with the virtual console. A wide grin crept across the newbie's face, the sudden burst of excitement accentuated by a loud snap of the fingers, it seemed that Raab was ready to begin his day of adventuring.

"Now...where to..."

Raab swiped at the air before his body, accessing the «Player Menu» in order to obtain the «Beginner's Guidebook» from his inventory. Upon obtaining the item from said inventory, the player quickly flipped through the pages as he headed toward the central square, the hub of most of the «Town of Beginning's» player activity. After spending the past few days honing his in-game skills, Raab felt it was important to figure out how to ascend the tower, whether that be through the help of a party or by his own wit and personal prowess.

Perhaps today was the day that someone would finally find the young alchemist's apprentice useful and allow him to tag along, even if his responsibility amounted to front-line defense during mob raids. Or maybe they would allow him to craft medical supplies for boss raids...Raab could count the marketable skills his low-leveled account could possibly advertise, and even then he could see that his future looked bleak.

Raab let out a sigh as he closed the «Beginner's Guidebook», allowing it to wink out of existence in a blast of digital effect. Raab found himself heading towards what seemed to be a large bulletin board rife with various posters and brochures documenting the going-ons of the floor, the tower as a whole, and the in-game community. Taking a deep breath, Raab quickened his pace and made a direct path to the front of the crowd surrounding the board.

Well, let's see what you got...

Hisamuya was standing by the bulliten board surveying the various new scattered across the board. It had information on where the high-level players were special deals in certain shops information on mini-boss events/sightings information on deals for housing and more. "Hmm looks like the high-level players are up on floor 8."

"Better steer clear of them, then...huh?"

Raab had been standing at the bulletin board for some time now, itching to make conversation with any one of the thousands of players that had passed by his immediate standing amongst; the sea of travelers had made the player anxious, noticing that many of the surrounding players were looking to party up for higher-level play rather than beginner-area mob raiding and dungeon crawling. The young man that happened to comment on the players on Floor 8 had been the only other solo-adventurer Raab had come across while party hunting. Eager to make conversation and promote in-game socialization, Raab jumped at the chance to squirm his way into this young man's life.

"Th' name's Raab! The Alchemist's Apprentice. The Shield Bearer. The Hawk...eh, Eye..."

Raab finally managed to catch himself, stifling the progression of self-titled epithets while he still retained what infinitesimal fraction of his dignity yet remained. Raab's face contorted in an awkward, half-laughing, half-embarrassed visage of pure humility. Looking to move past the blunder of an introduction he had so impromptu-edly fashioned for himself.

"I, uh...found a message on the board that said there might be some treasure in the glade just outside «Tolbana». Would you, uh...wanna' check it out with me?"

Hisamuya looked at the other player who had striked up a conversation with him. He had been playing solo since the game had begun and was interested in what the other player had to offer. He had heard of the apparent treasure in this area and was interested in checking the area out."Sounds like it could be an interesting loot area. Most of these areas with a high loot payout usually have a dungeon that needs to be completed to claim the loot so forming a party to do so would be wise."

Raab's face immediately lit up with an amount of marked excitement. This was the first time another player had ever accepted his «Party Invite» without some serious convincing. It was good that the rumor and possible promise of treasure was incentive enough to join the young player on his journey towards in-game success.

"Well alright, man! Just give me a second to send you an invite...let's start walking towards the gate in the mean time."

While the pair of players made their way to the outskirts of the town, Raab brought up the «Player Menu» and attempted to quickly send a party invitation to his new-found companion. It was in that moment that Raab had realized the player had completely moved past the introduction phase of social interaction and jumped straight into party companionship. Raab had to glance over at the player's «Health Gauge» to learn his name; it was the only way to send him an invite, after all.

"Hee-sah-moo-yah...right?"

Raab quickly typed the name at the top of the «Party Invite» and clicked the send button in one burst of fluid motion. At that point, the pair had already reached the outskirts of the city, altogether ready to brave the «Grasslands» with whatever skill and wits they could muster between the two of them. Raab quickly adjusted the goggles on his forehead and checked to see that his things were in order before turning to see if his newfound companion was ready to begin their first adventure.

"Alright! You ready to hop to it?"

Hisamuya listened to the other player speak franticly. He had concluded that this person was eager to make an in game friend. Hisamuya was inspired by the determination that he had to find an in game friend he could count on. Hisamuya has been playing as a solo player since SAO begun but he had no problem with meeting friends along the way. When the menu popped up in front of him asking if he wanted to form a party with the other player who had frantically sent him a party request he tapped the yes button and replied to his words. "Yes that is how you pronouce my name. I'm ready to go when you are." He looked at the username of the player to sent him the party request. "Raab right? Raab like in Rabbit?"

Raab's ears twitched at the sound of his name, causing the player's head to jerk towards Hisamuya with animal-like alertness. In the next moment, Raab was all smiles, his signature toothy grin plastered to his face. Raab took another moment to adjust his goggles before affirming his comrade's inquiry.

"You got it, buddy. Let's roll; but be careful...there's a ton of mobs out here. No telling when we're going to get jumped."

The pair slowly made their way down the second of the two major roads dividing the «Grasslands». The first road, historically, was created as way for players to easily traverse the open-world of Floor 1, leading them to the first settlement known as «Horunka Vilage». The settlement made its mark on the Floor 1 map as an outpost for hunters looking to farm mobs and craftsmen looking to gain access to crafting materials. The road Raab and Hisamuya had chosen led directly to the settlement known as «Tolbana». The location is the last outpost before the first floor's labyrinth, a «Raid Base» that houses the first floor boss, «Illfang the Kobold Lord». Though the two players were nowhere near a level decent enough to take on the floor boss, they seemed capable enough to traverse the wilds of Floor 1 safely.

"So what have you been doing this whole time? Do you have a guild that's helped you all this way, or..."

It was clear that Raab was prying for information, if only to break the silence of the long walk that yet remained. There was no harm in small talk, right?

Hisamuya walked with Raab peacfully. They continued along the road in silence. HIsamuya was not good at beginning a conversation so he waited for Raab to say something. Finally Raab had asked Hisamuya how he'd gotten along through the game and if he had any guild that has been helping him. "Well only a few days ago I joined a guild called The Ebony Vanguard. But I've done most of my in game stuff with little to no help up to this point in the game."

"Wow, man. That's crazy."

Raab managed to mutter that simple phrase in between bites of bread and what little butter the newbie player had in his extremely limited stock. Finally gulping down the last of the virtual feast, Raab grinned and nodded with child-like fervor. The player had finally struck the social goldmine: a fresh guild recruit, ripe for a party destined to climb the tower. This was the time to sew the seeds of loyalty; networking, after all, was one of life's greatest challenges. What better way to start than through the stoic Hisamuya.

"So you must be a pretty accomplished fighter then...that's good."

Raab looked down the road, spotting the settlement of «Tolbana» not fifteen minutes walk from their current location. It was at this point that Raab began looking around, searching the steadily-growing tree line that seemed to erupt quite suddenly. While searching for the hidden location described by the bulletin message, Raab elaborated on his previous comment.

"I say that 'cause I have little-to-no combat effectiveness whatsoever..."

Raab turned back to Hisamuya, grin blazing.

"I'm sure you're strong enough to protect the both of us!"

Hisamuya continued to listen to the other player's words. It was safe to say that this wasn't Hisamuya's first RPG ever. He had also played Wizard101 Runescape Everquest and various others. He was very familiar with the way most RPGs worked which was why he made a good solo player but he worked much better with other players. "Well it's safe to say this isn't my first MMO. I've player various MMO's so I know how most of them work which explains my gaming experience. I make a decent solo player but I work much better with others."