Explicit combat damage for nerds

So maybe i'm overthinking this, and I am admittedly new here, but i'm trying to pick my skills and which direction I want to build my character, and I've had a bit of difficulty collecting all the info on explicitly how combat damage is calculated. Here's the steps as I understand them so far:

1. Either you or the monster goes first (i'm assuming an non GM monster for simplicity); say the monster goes first

2. Monster attacks you, and hits based on whether you want it to or not; let's say it hits

3. A standard attack (which i'm assuming applies to monsters as well) does one damage if you roll 6-8, 2 if you roll 9-10

3. This damage is then mitigated by armor automatically based on...? I dunno. Does the armor have to explicitly state in your inventory what percentage or amount of damage it blocks? What about bad and good quality items that have no explicit bonus?

4. Now it's the players turn, and if the enemy hits, they can first try to parry/block/evade based on the battle dice for that post. Parrying and evading are pretty explicitly explained here, but the description for blocking just says it "comes down to your equipment and equipment skills", which my best guess says should be something like -1 or -5% damage per point in skills like leather, light, or heavy metal

5. Now you can try to attack (if you didn't parry), based on the same dice roll as your defensive move, and use either a skill or a basic attack (let's say basic for simplicity, and assume that you hit as well)

6. Your attack also does 1 damage for 6-8, 2 for 9-10; but is this constant for the entire game? is my max level character still going to always have a 50% chance of missing every hit? And how does weapon or monster attack damage scale with level? will I still only be doing 1 or 2 damage per turn against late game monsters with 3000 health?

I realize this is nitpicky, and if there aren't explicit rules and we're just supposed to make stuff up, I can do that; I'm just curious as to how everyone else has been going about calculating damage. Any thoughts or input are appreciated

Essentially, weapons do 1 damage. A weapon with a bonus does more damage.

For sake of example: Longsword. BD 6-8 is 1 damage. BD 9 is +1 so 2 damage. BD 10 is +2 so 3 damage.

Silver Sword would be the same. But most of the time, higher tier weapons have +1 added to them (Anneal Blade+1) Which acts the same as above, but 1 extra damage to all the above, 2, 3 and 4 respectively.

This was a major problem for us for a very long time. Many complaints were raised and heard by everyone around here. Fortis tell the new patch that has come out which you can read in the <> section offers a one stop guide to everything involving skills. Now for every rank you put into a skill you deal an extra point of DMG. Weapons and armor also offer ways of adding modifiers or negating DMG dealt to yourself. I highly suggest checking out our fresh off the presses update. Raise anymore thoughts you may have.

So the most damage I can potentially ever do is (2 on crit roll) + (5 for max level weapon skill) + (+3 for perfect quality weapon) = 10 damage? and similarly the most damage I can block without parrying is 10? I guess that works if the enemy damage is scaling the same way. It'll just take longer to kill things as we get more and more health?

Also, I was looking at which weapon to use, and I was wondering if there's any difference between the weapon types as far as damage. Like it seems to me that two handed swords should do more damage than one handed swords, especially since you can also carry a shield with a one-handed and gain a defensive bonus. But the skill guide doesn't really say anything about it.

And again, I know i'm being nitpicky, and I apologize; I really am just curious. All your comments and feedback have been really helpful :D

You make good points, points I, myself, have thought of before. Some of them don't have answers. I believe all weapons do the same damage (?) because, if one type did more than another, the majority would choose it. Meta's aren't fun. This is a roleplaying forum, you should be allowed to roleplay and have fun with the weapon of your choosing.

I agree, which is why I was confused by being allowed to use a shield with a one-hander but not a two, when they both do the same damage. the 1H seems to clearly have the advantage.

I think what i'm gonna do (once i'm high enough level for it to be relevant), is add both an extra point of attack damage and an extra point of defense to my armor for every level I put in the 2H skill, since I plan on using blocking as my defensive action (as opposed to parry or evade), and my character would use their sword to block much like a one-hander would use their shield. I guess you just miss out on the double bonuses that you could potentially have on a bonus-quality sword and shield, versus the single 2H sword's single bonus.

But if that sounds unfair, or anyone has a problem with it, or if there's a better way to do it; I can not and just go 1H. That's just the best way I can make sense of the system to make it fair.

Just because an option sounds the best doesn't mean it's what you should choose. Yeah, you can block, but because of the way the dice works blocking isn't really all that helpful. It's better than nothing, but I'm getting along perfectly fine and I'm using a one handed straight sword, with no shield, and do not plan on changing. You see my point? If you want your character to be a sword-and-board, go ahead. But don't choose it because it looks like the best option. You can go with any build, daggers even (My alt is going to use daggers only and still be as powerful as my straight sword user in the end) and it'll be fine and fun. Play how you want.