[SP-F1] <<Earning a Living>> (Completed)

Mortambo was exploring around Starter City some to stave off boredom from killing so many Boars the last few days. "I need something new to keep me entertained," he thought to himself. As he wandered around the city, eventually he made it to the merchant district. Clang! Clang! Clang! The rhythmic sound of a hammer hitting an anvil made him grin. "I always wanted to try being a blacksmith, but it seemed pretty dangerous. But now, why shouldn't I try it! It might help me get through this death game." He followed the sounds until he found the smithy and just sat and watched the Smith hammer out what appeared to be a Scimitar.

Sparks flew, and the Blacksmith continued to pound out the blade in a nice even rhythm. Mortambo just watches in amazement as the Smith went to quench the blade. As the steam rose up, the Smith turns and gives Mortambo a sharp quick motion. Hurrying across the street, Mortambo wonders why he seems rather annoyed. "Listen, lad, is there a reason you're just watching me? It's a bit strange..." the Smith said once Mort has stopped in front of him. Mortambo sheepishly replies with "Oh! I'm so sorry, sir. I just have always liked the idea of being a Blacksmith and I was enjoying watching you work. I guess that is a bit weird." The Smith looks Mortambo up and down saying "You look like an adventurer. Are you?"

"Yes, sir and I've very interested in learning how to be a Smith," Mortambo replied. The Smith just smiled and said "Well first let me introduce myself, I am Master Blacksmith Baldemar Macgowan. Or Mac, if you prefer. But I've got to admit that I don't have any of the materials to finish my standing orders, much less take on an apprentice." Mortambo's face falls and he looks very defeated. "But, an intrepid adventurer like yourself could always navigate your way through the forest to the northwest of the city, to the mine and see what is holding up deliveries. Might even be able to get yourself some ore in the process." Mac smiles at Mort, and a small box pops up in front of him "<> Accept Quest?" with a button for Yes or No.

Mortambo taps Yes and then says "I'd be happy to look into it for you. And it's great to meet you Mac. I am Mortambo." Mort holds out his hand to shake the Mac's hand. Shaking it heartily, Mac pulls Mortambo into the shop and goes over to one of the walls taking a basic mining pick off of it's hanger. "Here you are, Mortambo. Just gather 20 ore from the mines, and if there's any trouble...well do your best to take care of it. If you can't manage it on your own, then come on back with the ore and that will be enough for me to finish my current business and teach you my trade." Mortambo grins happily and replies "All right, Mac, I will be back in no time with the ore!"

Mortambo takes the pick from Mac, and listens to the brief instructions to find the mine through the forest. He then heads towards the gate north of town and quickly makes his way into the forest. Mortambo watches the trees warily as he makes his way down the path keeping a watchful eye out for any kinds of enemies. After a little while he begins to relax his guard and just enjoy his walk through the forest.

As Mortambo gets closer to the mines he hears a drumming in the distance. He stops and creeps forward through the bushes towards the mines, the drumming throbbing in his brains. As he reaches the edge of the clearing surrounding the mine entrance, he crouches down and peers through the bushes trying to identify the source of the drumming. "Oh, no, a band of kobolds has taken over the mine! One or two I could probably fight, but I'm not sure about the 5 guarding the entrance." Mortambo thinks silently to himself and watches the kobolds closely to while he figures out what to do.

As Mortambo watches for a few minutes, he hears a whip crack as an NPC pushes a cart loaded with ore out of the mine. A larger Kobold is following behind the man pushing the cart, and it turns to the guards and speaks in some strange, guttural language. Three of the guards lift the ore out of the cart and follow the larger Kobold up a path on the other side of the clearing. The other two stay stationed at the sides of the mine, and the man slowly pushes the cart back into the mine grunting and groaning.

Mortambo tenses and waits for his moment to strike thinking "With only two of them and I can probably get inside." The man slows down near the entrance to the mine and both of the kobolds looks down at him. Mortambo takes this opportunity to leap out and dash across the clearing, taking the distracted kobolds slashing the nearest one in the chest!

Ambush Round!

Mortambo (11/11)

Battle Dice: 9

Mortambo savagely slashes Kobold 1 in the chest!

Kobold 1 takes 3 damage!

Kobold 1 (6/6 - 3)

Kobold 2(6/6)

The kobold cries out in pain and shock. Mortambo brings his sword around for an <> to hit the kobold on the chin, as it stumbles backwards a few steps from the impact. The other kobold recovers from the sudden assault and readies his spear. The man also cries out in surprise and quickly hides behind a rock near the entrance.

Mortambo (11/11)

Battle Dice: 3

Mortambo's <> misses as the kobold stumbles backwards!

Kobold 1 (3/6)

Kobold 2 (6/6)

Mortambo curses to himself quietly as he lands and readies his defensive stance. "There goes the element of surprise," he thinks with some chagrin, "Hopefully I can end this quickly." The kobold with the bleeding slash in his chest recovers enough to try and stab Mortambo with a thrust of his spear. The second kobold circles around Mortambo and attacks simultaneously to the first kobold but going for a downward thrust.

Mortambo (11/11)

Kobold 1 (3/6 -1 )

Battle Dice: 1

Mortambo easily dodges the thrust of the Kobold's spear and manages to give him a shallow gash in the arm.

Kobold 1 takes 1 damage!

Kobold 2 (6/6 -1)

Mortambo jumps over the downward thrust after quickly dodging the first kobold, and gives Kobold 2 a shallow cut above the eyes.

Kobold 2 takes 1 damage!

As Mortambo completes the shallow cut on the second kobold, he spins back around to face the first one. Raising his sword, he jumps into the air bringing it down with two hands to cleave the kobold's head in two. The first kobold tries to get out of the way of Mortambo's strike and brings up its spear. The second kobold circles around behind Mortambo and is about to strike, when suddenly the man leaps out from behind the rock and screams "Watch out!" and leaps at the kobold wrapping the chains that are around his wrists around it's neck.

Mortambo (11/11)

Startled by the man's appearance, Mortambo misses his overhand strike!

Kobold 1 (2/6)

Kobold 2 (5/6)

The second kobold grapples with the man trying to shake him loose. The man struggles to keep his grip around the kobold's neck and not let go. The first kobold thrusts savagely at Mortambo barking something in it's strange language. Mortambo tries to sidestep the strike and get out of the way thinking "Now he might die because he distracted me, I have to save him!"

Mortambo (11/11)

Slave (3/3)

Kobold 1 (2/6 -1)

Mortambo easily dodges Kobold 1's thrust and gives it a shallow slash across the leg.

Kobold 1 takes 1 damage!

Kobold 2 (5/6 -1 )

The slave manages to tighten his grip on Kobold 2's neck!

Kobold 2 takes 1 damage!

The second kobold makes choking sounds as the man tightens his grip and continues to struggle. The slave pulls back harder on the chains choking the kobold even more. Mortambo rushes at the kobold being choked and tries to slash him across the chest. The other kobold holds up its spear defensively and starts edging toward the entrance to the mine.

Mortambo (11/11)

Battle Dice: 5

Mortambo stumbles as he dashes across the intervening space and barely recovers his footing but misses with his forward slash.

Slave (3/3)

Kobold 1 (1/6)

Kobold 2 (4/6)

The choking kobold tries to throw off the slave again who just tightens his grip. Seeing the other kobold edging towards the mine's entrance he says to Mort "Go! I've got this one, don't let the other one get inside the mine to warn the others." The other kobold takes off into the mine's entrance. Mortambo rushes after him trying to strike him down before he can warn the other guards.

Mortambo (11/11)

Battle Dice: 5

Kobold 1's head start is too much! Mortambo redoubles his efforts to catch up.

Kobold 1 (1/6)

The kobold keeps dashing down the tunnel. Mortambo sees the shocked faces of the slaves look up at the commotion and grimly tries to catch up to the fleeing kobold. One of them sticks his leg out and trips the kobold giving Mortambo a chance to over take it. Mortambo savagely slashes at the kobold's back, "This has to end before he warns the others! Otherwise I'll never make it out of here alive!"

Mortambo (11/11)

Battle Dice: 4

Mortambo's wild slash misses its mark.

Kobold (1/6)

When his strike misses, he slows to a stop as the kobold scrambles away deeper into the mines. "I'm never going to catch him again, and all of this was for nothing," he thinks morosely. Suddenly he hears a whisper "Hey, over here." Mortambo looks up and the man who made the kobold stumble is motioning to him from a side tunnel. Mortambo walks over to him and the man says "Look we can hide you in one of the carts so you don't get caught, but you've got to do something for us to."

"Of course, what do you need? Besides your freedom?" Mortambo asks the man. He nods "That's what I was going to ask you to do. Bring back some friends and free us from these horrible kobolds." "No problem." The quest accept box appears and Mortambo immediately hits Yes. The man nods again and says "Then come on this way" and begins to lead Mortambo into the side tunnel. "They won't look for you down the side tunnels first, so we have a little bit of time. What are you here for anyway?" the man asks. "Oh, there is a blacksmith in the city named Mac. He sent me here to see what was wrong with the ore shipments and bring some back" Mortambo replies.

The man sighs "Mac is a good man. I used to be the head of this mining operation and Mac was one of the few guys who always made his payments on time. I'm Seth." Mortambo smiles "I guess I've found myself a good teacher then. It's good to meet you Seth, I'm Mortambo." The man nods as they make another turn in the tunnel and finally come to a lone mining cart. The man looks inside the cart and says "Actually, there you go. It's all there for Mac, just take it, and then get inside. I'll cover you up, and you can make a break for it once we make it outside. Especially since they probably haven't posted guards yet due to looking for you." Mortambo nods and adds the ore he needs for his quest to his inventory. Then he climbs into the rusted old mine cart and lets the guy slowly wheel him outside.

As they get outside Mortambo hears the harsh guttural language of the kobolds. Seth leans down and whispers to him "They are about to execute Jon as an example. He must have helped you fight?" Mortambo whispers back "Yes. I can't let him die!" Seth shakes his head and replies "It's the perfect cover for you to slip away. Just...don't forget about us." Knowing that it was true, Mortambo replied with "Never. I' vow to free all of you as soon as I can." Seth helps him out of the cart, and warily watches the kobolds as they herd the humans outside to see the execution. "I'll tell you when, and then just run."

"Run."

Mortambo immediately dashes out of the clearing and towards the path back to the main road. Once he reaches it he slows down, and listens for signs of pursuit. Not hearing anything he sighs deeply thinking "I didn't even look back. I was too scared. Not much of a hero am I?" He trudges slowly back to Starting City weighed down by the events of the day.

When he trails in through the gates, he makes his way to Mac's shop. "Here you go," he says as he deposits the ore in the corner of the workshop.

Mac looks at him very concerned and says "You look like you're carrying a heavy burden. What happened out there?"

Mortambo quickly relays the events of the day, and Mac looks very worried. "Well you definitely need to do something about it. I'm glad you're going back to help them. But first I need to teach you a thing or two about being a Blacksmith!"

Mortambo spends the next few days learning from Mac, but he finds no joy in it with his mind occupied by the men being held prisoner in the mines. The one bright point about his time spent learning is that now he can give back to the community with his new skill.

END OF RP

Blacksmith (Rank 1)

+2 Skill point (1 for RP, 1 for quest)

+400 Col (1 page completed)

+Blacksmith's Tools

+0 mats (did not actually beat anything in the whole rp...grr)