[OP-F1] Big Girl

Pepper stood in the fields of floor one. She had managed to fool her ‘mother’ for long enough. Oske was probably busy doing something, leveling up, or anything along those lines. Pepper promised she’d run errands for her and pick up some food. Mommy thought she was an AI, after all.

At least, she hoped Mommy still thought that.

Now Pepper was alone at last, where she could practice and start to level up. She wasn’t going to live in this cruel world if she didn’t have some skill. She took a deep breath, and stepped out of the safe zone for the first time since her real mother died. She squeezed her little eyes shut, preparing for the worst. Nothing happened.

Stepping out farther into the grass, a boar spawned. She equipped her short sword and readied it. The boar ran at her, and she lifted up her sword while shaking a little. Realizing how terrified she was, the little girl dodged and the boar ran right past her. Her sword trembled in her grip.

Pepper gasped in surprise as an older male player approached her. “W-aah!†she gasped, swinging her sword around and stumbling backwards. “Stay back! I’m a-armed!â€

As she said this, the boar rushed forward. Pepper stumbled forward and yelped as she slammed into the boy. Her health went down a little bit.

Pepper: 4/5

Boar: 2/2

I swoop in as I quickly materialize Fury's Echo. I went pass through the Frenzy Boar, shattering into polygons. "Are you two okay?" I said, as I look back to see a little girl and Dylan. "Dylan. It's been some time." I said. I went over to the little girl, "Are you okay?" grinning at the girl.

Party:

Dylan [17/17 HP]

Echo [43/43 HP]

Pepper [4/5 HP]

Foe:

Boar [DEAD]

Pepper looked at the two faces, and tears welled in her eyes. She tried to will herself not to cry, telling herself in her mind that she was a big girl. But that didn’t stop the salty tears from dripping down her little cheeks. She felt her grip loosen on her sword, and it dropped to the ground. She put her hands on her eyes to hide herself.

Only a fool would venture out to fight without any equipment but her sword. She had no armor, no skills, nothing! She found herself to be pathetic.

I walked over to the little girl and de-materialize Fury's Echo. I took a seat next to her and place my head over her sword. "Why are you crying? Nothing bad happened." I said, as I force the sword to de-materialize back into the little girl's inventory. I place my hand on top of her head and the other hand to move her hands away from her eyes.

I could feel an unease tension, but I can't leave her feeling like that. "My name is Echo. What's your name?" I said, as I look ahead.

"Poor girl. I think she's scared." He sighs, and puts away his dagger. "Do I actually look terrifying? Or is it her.. He sits down, and checks his inventory. "Barely anything, I need to get Col." He sighs again, and watches Echo do his thing. "I really hate how I raised money for this game and this is what happens. This is so great."

Pepper paused, trembling still. “I'm Pepper. I-I want to fight and level up, so I can be brave like my Mommy,†she sniffed. She looked around at the two boys, trying not to be scared. It was quite difficult. Her face twisted up with sadness, and she cried a little more before calming down into a state of hiccupping.

She suddenly equipped her sword again and ran off into the field, searching for a boar. When she found one, it rammed into her immediately. It didn't do any damage besides knockback effect, but that upset her even more. "Why can't I do it!?" she shouted at the boar.

Pepper still trembling, but I still sat besides her. "It's very nice to meet you, Pepper. You want to be brave like Mommy? I see." I said, as I look towards her. I put my hand down and crossed me legs. "Pepper, if you want to be brave like Mommy, you can't cry when you can't do something. Only cry when something happy happens. Don't waste those tears on things like this." I said, wiping the tears off her eyes. I could hear Pepper start hiccuping

and I couldn't help but grin.

Pepper dashed towards a Frenzy Boar and I immediately stood up. "Pepper!" I shout, as the boar ram her. I quickly materialize Fury's Echo and lunge towards the Frenzy Boar. I could see it in Pepper's eyes. She wanted to kill the boar and become strong. I quickly de-materialize my sword and leap towards the Frenzy Boar, attempting to grab it. I missed and land on my face.

Pepper watched as the man with white hair fell over. She scrambled to her little feet, her sword trembling in her tiny hands. She then dashed forward, lifting her sword. She activated a basic sword art—slash—and the sword slashed through the boar’s hide with a furious glow. Pepper jumped back, panting. The boar grunted through its nostrils and squealed.

Pepper: 4/5

Boar: 1/2

I stood up, watching Pepper strike the Boar. I dusted myself off and position myself to grab the Boar. It starts to snort at me and I ran towards it looking like a bear. I leap towards it attempting to grab a hold of it. My hand was able to grab onto the tail, but it ran towards Pepper. I quickly activated Agility and sped up. I bear hugged the Boar and carried it over to Pepper. "Here you go, Pepper. Become strong." I said, as I held onto the Boar.

Party:

Dylan [17/17 HP]

Echo [43/43 HP]

Pepper [4/5 HP]

Foe:

Boar [1/2]

Pepper suddenly found herself frozen. Holding her sword, she stared at the boar. It was a virtual monster--it had no feelings. Yet... Pepper didn't feel it was fair. "M-mister Echo, could you put the boar down? I want to fight it by myself," she insisted. She knew she was probably going to screw it up somehow, but she really wanted to try anyway. She just couldn't kill it while it was helpless in Echo's arms.

I couldn't help but smile, so I slowly place the Boar down. It snort at me and ran back to its original position. "Good luck, Pepper." I said, as I took a seat on the grassy floor. I scroll through my menu and looked into my inventory. I materialize Fury's Echo just in case something doesn't go right. Pepper is afraid I can tell, but I don't know how I could help her. "Say, once we're done here do you want to find Mommy?" I said, placing my sword over my shoulder.

Pepper ran right towards the boar, and--bam. She was knocked backwards again. The boar grunted in a way so horrible that she felt it was mocking her. She'd never get strong, would she? Pepper slowly scrambled to her feet, glancing back at Echo. "D-don't help, I got this," she told him. "And no, I don't want to find Mommy. I want to clear this whole field."

Pepper paused to wait for a response to her ridiculous request.

I grip tight the handle of my sword, but if she wants to fight this to the end I won't stop her. I watch as Pepper scramble back to her feet, and she glance over to me. "I--I won't help." I said, as I de-materialize Fury's Echo and cross my arms. To my shock, "Y--You don't? Fine, but I'm not leaving you here alone." I said, as the wind starts to blow through the fields.

With a shout, Pepper ran at the boar with all her might. She activated another sword art—stab—and thrust the short sword into the boar’s side. Before it had a chance to roar in pain, it shattered. Pepper gasped and fell to her knees. A small message boxed popped up in front of her face.

Col: +10

Items: +1 Boar Hide

She sat there panting for a while. She had done it--she killed that stupid boar.

I stood up, clapping for Pepper with a smile on my face. "Congratulations, a step closer to become strong. One day you'll be as strong as Mommy." As the boar shatters into polygons I somewhat felt proud of her. I shook the feeling and dusted myself off. "One question.. Why do you want to be strong?" I asked, with a confused tone.

Pepper looked at the two and swallowed. "B-because I want to be able to take care of myself if something... happens to her," she said quietly. She thought quietly of her real mother, waving goodbye as she headed toward the Floor 1 dungeon that led to Floor 2. She was told that it had been cleared, yet... her name was reset. She knew she would never see her real mother again.

Pepper averted her eyes nervously. She tried hard not to imagine Oske shattering in blue shards, disappearing from the world forever. She wouldn't let that happen.