[PP-F1] Getting a feel for it (Complete)

Kiran gazed at the sun over the fields of seemingly endless green and suspended platforms that made up floor 1. Aincrad certainly was a world to behold, even if it was a virtual one. Kiran had always admired accomplishments in gaming, and Sword Art Online was in a class of it's own, but he had never imagined living in one. Gaming was a simple escape for him to quench his thirst for duty and battle, not his entire life. Well, it was now.

Kiran had always held a fascination for curved blades, having been raised in Japan. The sword he had chosen to start with was similar to a katana, though it was shorter in length. As long as the back was curved and the blade remained the same width until the tip, it suited Kiran just fine. He also preferred to fight with only one hand on the blade. He raised his weapon up and stared at it.

"So this is it." He said allowed. "Everything I own in this world."

It was also everything he would need, at least for the time being. Kiran selected a target from the field monsters in his vicinity. Boars were always easy prey for low level players, but Kiran preferred a bit more of a challenge. There was nothing to be gained by only slaying enemies he knew he could beat. Sooner or later he'd have to take risks, and he wanted to be sharp when that time came.

"If I'm going to survive in this world, I'm going to have to get good at this."

Kiran chose a wolf and assumed an offensive stance, holding his blade on his right side at shoulder height, the tip aimed towards his target. A pale purple hue engulfed the metal and Kiran thrust his weapon forward.

1-5: I miss target

6-10: My stab connects

"Hah." Kiran whispered to himself as his blade sailed through his target.

It's even easier than I remember.

Connecting with a strike in SAO was easier than it was in the real world. The system guided the attack towards it target and a complex number system based on the attacker's hit chance and the defender's evasion, along with some other variables, determined if it hit. Form and technique were all moot points. One only needed to execute the proper starting motions to make an attack work.

The blade Kiran was using was light, much lighter than he was used to, but it was easy to adapt to. The wolf's health immediately dipped into the yellow zone. Thrusts were harder to land than slashing attacks, that was simple surface area. The tip of a blade was much smaller than its edge, but thrusts could penetrate deeper than a hack or slash, giving them higher potential for damage. Even with a direct hit, however, wolves were tougher than boars.

It will take at least one more hit to finish, likely two more.

The wolf immediately aggroed Kiran after taking damage and lunged forward in an attack of its own. Now it was time test how well he remembered dodging.

1-5: I take damage from the wolf's bite

6-10: I successfully evade it

The wolf's lunge flew wide and its fangs missed Kiran's leg by a wide margin. He easily moved to the side to keep his body safe from harm. His HP was still shining green, filled to the brim.

Kiran smiled. The few months off between the end of the beta test and the release of the game had not dulled him in the slightest. If anything, it had given his proficiency in the game's mechanics more time to sink in. Actions felt more natural than ever.

Time to finish this.

He raised his sword shoulder height again and prepared another thrust. The blade lit aglow and Kiran thrust straight for the wolf's head.

1-5 I miss my thrust

6-8 I connect with my attack and bring the wolf into the red

9-10 I finish the wolf with this next strike

This time the wolf seemed more prepared. It jumped to the side and evaded him. The tip of Kiran's blade only managed to pierce the air. Wolves more nimble than some of the easier monsters.

Guess it's more agile when it's ready for an attack. I'll have to use something more consistent.

One advantage to using a one-handed sword was the attack speed. Kiran could get off two attacks in the time it took the wolf to make one. Kiran lowered his sword down to his waist level on his left side. He lunged forward, this time the preparing a sweeping attack that would go out in an arc. Sweeping attacks covered more area than thrusts, so the chance to connect was higher, but their potential for damage was lower.

1-4 I miss my attack

5-10 My sweep connects, bringing the wolf into the red

The wolf's health flashed red as Kiran's sword slashed across its torso. Strands of red and orange could be seen where the surface image had been penetrated, indicating damage. Even if it was real life or death, SAO was still family friendly. There was no blood to speak of.

Only one hit more.

Kiran had almost finished it.

Now it was the wolf's turn again. It lunged at Kiran again with its fangs, this time going for center of mass, his chest. Saliva filled teeth closed is as the wolf leaped at him.

1-5 The wolf successfully bites me

5-10 I evade it again

Wolves also had stronger attacks than the lowest level monsters. Its fangs tore into Kiran's avatar to reveal red and orange strands of his own. His health immediately dropped into the yellow zone.

Crap.

He would have to finish this quickly now, lest this trip end up being shorter than he had planned. He still had other monsters we wanted to kill before heading back to town, and having to warp crystal out from a wolf would just be embarrassing. Kiran prepared another sweeping attack, giving himself the largest possible chance for victory.

1-4 I miss my sweep

5-10 I connect and kill the wolf

A message popped up on Kiran's head's up display, indicating the experience and loot he had gained from the encounter. He checked his health. Yellow was not ideal, but it was to be expected when taking on more challenging enemies. He still had enough to continue hunting and soak up as much EXP as he could. Kiran intended to complete this game, or at the very least, help others complete it, and that required levels and items.

Kiran checked the loot screen. No items had dropped, but the wolf had given him some money.

Why does a wolf have money anyways? What was it doing? Buying a tooth brush.

Loot roll:

1-10 3 cor

11-15 4 cor

16 - 20 5 cor

It wasn't much, but it was a start.

Great, now I can buy lunch.

Kiran checked the fields around him. They were still ripe with monsters to kill. All he had to do was select a target.

Battle roll:

1-5 I elect to kill a boar next to be safe

6-10 More wolves. The faster the EXP, the better

Boars sounded like a safer bet. The wolf had only been a test anyways to see how well Kiran had remembered using the battle system in Sword Art Online. Now it was time for the grinding. Kiran carefully walked up towards the closest boar, checking his surroundings to be sure there were no other aggressive creatures in range. The last thing he needed was adds when he was solo EXPing. Warp crystals weren't cheap, which would mean something if he actually had any. Right now, Kiran only owned a sword, a sheath, and 3 cor to his name.

Better get to work.

Kiran crept up on the creature slowly, trying to avoid drawing it's attention so he could line up one decisive strike and put it down without further injury. He closed in quietly and held his blade up around shoulder level, tip towards the boar's side. The edge started to glow.

1-4 The boar sees me and I miss completely.

5-10 I kill the boar before it notices me.

Loot roll(previous):

1-10 3 corr dropped

11-15 One piece of leather armor dropped

16-20 One piece of light metal armor dropped

Kiran's EXP flashed twice as it filled to the top. A message appeared above his character screen.

"Congratulations! You have earned level 2!"

One level was good enough for a day's work. Kiran had managed to get some small loot and some decent experience during his first outing in the game. The sun was already nearing its peak and Kiran was starting to get hungry, or at least his brain was. Food in SAO didn't do anything for Kiran's body, but at least it satiated the feeling.

Kiran took one last look around and spotted another wild boar. His health was still in the yellow. He opted to go for one more kill before packing it in. He readied his blade for another thrusting attack and moved in, trying to avoid aggroing it before he could attack.

1-5 The boar notices me and I take damage before killing it

6-10 I kill the boar without taking any damage

Loot roll(current):

1-5 One piece of armor I can't use drops

6-10 A weapon I can not use drops

11-15 One piece of armor I can use drops

16-20 A one-handed curved sword(better than what I have) drops

He wasn't fast enough. The boar turned and spotted Kiran before he could get within range of his thrust. It aggroed onto him and charged in immediately.

Kiran reeled back as the boar's charging attack hit him square in chest. He exhaled instinctively to avoid getting winded, even though attacks in SAO did not translate the pain one would receive in real life. His health bar drained into the red zone. Kiran gritted his teeth and finished his attack movement. His sword pierced the boar right through the head and the tip of his blade exited the boar's backside. It exploded into a shower of glittering geometric shapes. Kiran let out of a sigh of relief.

That was close. I got greedy.

He opened the loot screen and his eyes grew wide.

"Ko... dachi." He said aloud.

The boar had dropped a single-handed curved sword called, "Kodachi". It was similar to Kiran's current blade, only it was longer and heavier. Kiran quickly scrolled to his inventory and clicked on the weapon twice with his index finger, equiping it. His current blade disappeared as the kodachi formed in his hand. Kiran swung it around a few times.

It's heavier than the beginner's sword.

He smiled. It was worth it. He had gotten a new weapon and he still had a feel for it.