SP - A Wanderer's First Steps

Aziraphale walked out of the gates of New Beginnings for the first time.  For too long had he been cooped up in the city, afraid for his life.  After the creator's announcement that death in the game meant death in the real world, Aziraphale had not left the safe zone.  He had been content to let others fight the tough battles, but no longer.  He was determined to make his mark, to rise through the levels and help end this death game.  For that, he needed to actually fight monsters.  Consulting his guide book, Aziraphale noted that there was an area nearby that held the games weakest monsters...  Wild Boar.  He double checked to make sure that his sword was in place and that he had his cloth armor equipped, then started down the path.

Whistling a jaunty tune, Aziraphale basked in the sunlight as it played across his dark hair.  The view was spectacular, with a forest on his left and a large lake off in the distance.  How have I not left the city before?  This place is beautiful! - Aziraphale thought to himself.  Then he saw it, his first monster!  A Wild Boar stood just off the path.  It was an ugly thing, frothing and drooling at the mouth, and stank to high heaven.  I think I have the drop on it! Aziraphale charged the beast as he drew his sword and yelled out a battle cry.  The boar turned just as Aziraphale was in striking distance.  It's too late for you, you ugly beast! Aziraphale thought as he swung his sword as hard as he could...  and missed.  Terribly.  Not even close.  The boar then struck him in the stomach with its large, pointy tusks, throwing Aziraphale back.

ID# 5933

BD: 1

MD: 7

Damage Dealt: Miss

Damage Taken:1

Aziraphale HP: 4/5

Boar HP : 3/3

Aziraphale quickly got to his feet.  Well that didn't go as planned.  Let's try this again!  Aziraphale charged again, swinging a little earlier this time, and smiled as he felt the blade cut deep into the monster's flesh.  The boar squealed in pain, trying to gut him with its tusks, but Aziraphale neatly somersaulted over the creature.  See?  This isn't so hard!  I'll be on the front lines in no time!  Aziraphale readied his sword for the next clash of blows, the blade catching the sunlight.  I bet I look so cool right now!

ID# 5934

BD: 8

MD: 1

Damage Dealt: 1

Damage Taken: Miss

Boar HP: 2/3

Aziraphale readied again.  Time to take this beast down. Charging the beast again, Aziraphale lunged, stabbing the boar square between the eyes.  The monster burst into a thousand blue particles around his blade.  Aziraphale smiled, "One down, a thousand more to go!"  He received a popup window, letting him know that he had received 1 Boar Hide from the encounter.  My first loot!  He quickly exited out, only to receive another notification, this one letting him know that he had unspent skill points.  God I'm such a noob!  I forgot to spend my skill points before going into battle!  He quickly spent them on One Handed Straight Sword, noting that he had ranked up in its use and would be dealing more damage to any future enemies.

ID# 5938

BD: 9

MD: 4

Damage Dealt: 2 (1+1 for critical hit)

Boar HP: DEAD

Still smiling over his first victory, Aziraphale quickly spotted two more boars a little further from the path.  The first one went down easily enough, I should be able to take on two more easily!  Aziraphale roared a battle cry as he charged them, and they squealed their reply.  The knight-in-training slashed the first boar, smirking as it exploded into blue particles.  The other boar charged from the side, but the young warrior was able to roll out of the way at the last second.

ID# 5941

LD: 11

Damage Dealt: 3 (2+1 for crit)

Boar 1 HP: 0/3 DEAD

Boar 2 HP: 3/3

Loot Gained: Boar Hide Shield (Good Item), Boar Hide (Material)

Aziraphale and the second boar stared at each other, each waiting for the other to make a move.  The two combatants charged at the same time.  Aziraphale swung his sword, but felt it hit nothing but air, and then was thrown back by boar tusks for the second time that day.  Ouch, did not see that one coming. Aziraphale watched his life drop to the yellow zone, and a flutter of fear hit him in the pit of his stomach.  What if he died here?  How embarrassing would it be to die to a stupid boar?

ID# 5950

BD: 5

MD: 8

Damage Taken: 1

Aziraphale HP: 3/5

Boar 1 HP: DEAD

I won't die here!  I can do this!  Aziraphale  thought, steeling his resolve, he and the boar met again, their attacks parrying each other's.  Sword and tusk edged for dominance, but neither was able to gain the upper hand.  Finally, with a burst of strength, Aziraphale was able to throw the boar back.  The beast tumbled and rolled, but was obviously none the worse for wear.

ID# 5951

BD: 4

MD: 5

Capitalizing on the beast's momentary weakness, Aziraphale slashed its right flank.  He had hoped that the blow would finish the fight, but the boar was able to dodge a follow up strike.

ID# 5952

MD: 2

Damage Dealt: 2

Boar 2 HP: 1/3

Again and again Aziraphale and the Wild Boar clashed, both hoping to land a fatal hit.  They parried and fought, but neither was able to strike their opponent.

ID# 5953

BD: 3

ID# 5954

BD: 3

Panting, Aziraphale and the boar stared each other down.  This next struggle will be the last, for one of us.  The two met in a deafening crash, Aziraphale impaling the Boar through its stomach and the beast met its end.  That boar's last attack might have seriously hurt me if I hadn't killed it first.

ID# 5955

MD: 9

Damage dealt: 3 (2+1 crit)

Damage Taken: 0 (Boar died before its turn)

Boar 2 HP: DEAD

Loot Gained: 1 Boar Hide

Not a single one of these monsters dropped any Col.  How am I supposed to buy any new gear with simple materials?  From what I hear, they're really expensive, too. Shaking his head, Aziraphale sat down for a much needed break, knowing that a good rest and food would bring his health back up.  He also equipped his new shield, even though he didn't know how to use it yet.  I guess I know where my next skill points are going.  Screw extra damage.  The name of the game is survivability.  Still, I can't complain.   The shield might help in the future.

Health Regained: 1

Sitting with his back against a tree overlooking the lake, Aziraphale was once again struck by the simple beauty of the world around him.  He had never left the city in his old life, so something as pure as untouched nature astounded him.  I wonder if anyone else feels this way?  Part of me wants to stay here forever, but I really want to see my friends back home.  I'm glad that they weren't able to get a copy of this game, though.  I wouldn't wish this death game on anyone. The teen swordsman rummaged through his inventory for some bread and water, humming as he ate the surprisingly tasty food.

Health Regained: 1

Aziraphale Health: 5/5

Just as he was finishing the last bites of his meal, Aziraphale noticed that the boars that he had slain were starting to respawn.  Dusting himself off as he stood, Aziraphale drew his sword and shield, and joined battle with all three of them.  He knew he was taking a risk by fighting three on one, but the draw of earning some more loot quieted the voice in his mind that this might be a bad idea.  Slashing the first boar's left side, Aziraphale was unprepared for a charge from the second boar.  It sent him flying, leaving him  sprawled in the middle of all three boars.  Crap, I'm surrounded. The young warrior raised his shield, focusing on the boar he had already scored a hit on.  If I can take one of them down fast, this fight will be much more manageable. 

ID# 6012

MD: 6

Boar 1 HP: 1/3

Boar 3 HP: 3/3

Aziraphale desperately thrust his sword again, hoping to finish off the first enemy, but he had to dodge a strike from the third boar at the last moment.  Fighting multiple enemies is just as tough as I thought it would be.  I need to end this now!  I can't afford to let them keep taking pot shots at me.  The boars continued to circle him, and he lost track of which boar he had already hit.  Damnit!  This isn't looking good.  The wild beasts were snorting and snarling, snot dripping from their snouts.

ID# 6013

The young warrior stood fast, carefully eyeing the beasts circling him.  He thrust his sword at the closest one, but was hit in the back by another of the boars.  He managed to keep his footing this time, but he noticed his health drop into the yellow zone.  I won't go down like this! I WILL WIN!

ID# 6014

MD: 8

Damage Dealt: MISS

Suddenly, a notification filled his screen: Congratulations on Reaching Level 2!  Smirking, Aziraphale watch his health replenish to a full 7 points.  Now that's what I'm talking about!  Mid battle, leveling, he could get used to this.  Smirking, he charged the nearest boar, noting the damage it had already taken on the right flank.  You're going down, buddy!  Prepare to eat steel!  Aziraphale screamed his challenge as he swung, but got blown away from the back again.  Aziraphale paled as he watched his life drain a full three points.  I didn't even know that a boar could take that much HP with one hit.  If I hadn't leveled up, I'd be dead right now.

ID: 6018

BD: 2

MD: 10

Damage Taken: 3 (1+2 crit)

Aziraphale HP: 4/7

The critical hit from the boar had had one good effect: It had knocked him clear of the circle of death that the boars had created.  On the outside looking in, he could at least be able to strike a hit without having to worry about attacks from behind.    The beasts were not that strong, and if he took too much damage, at least now he had the option of running away, something that had not been available to him while they had him surrounded.  Darting in towards the nearest boar, he smirked as he felt the blow strike home.  A large red gash appeared on the beast's back, but it didn't explode into pixels.  Another of the animals tried to strike from his left side, but the young warrior was able to block the strike with his shield.  I knew this thing would come in handy!

ID# 6019

Boar 3 HP: 1/3

The boars tried again to circle the swordsman, but he knew better this time.  Getting surrounded meant getting dead.  In a normal MMO this wouldn't be such a big deal.  In Sword Art Online, it would be the last mistake you ever made.  Aziraphale backpedaled to keep all three boars in his sight, eyeing them warily over his shield.  Two of the boars were critically injured, while the other hadn't been touched.  If he could take at least one of the injured ones, he might stand a chance.  He parried their strikes, waiting for the perfect opening... THERE! With all of his strength, Aziraphale plunged his sword straight through the heart of the only uninjured beast then quickly turned and blocked a charge with his shield.  He heard the now familiar sound of a boar exploding into pixels, and knew that he was one step closer to winning this fight.

ID# 6039

BD: 10

LD: 2

Damage Dealt: 4 (2+2 crit)

Damage Taken: MISS

Boar 2 HP: DEAD

Boar 3 HP: 1/3

LOOT RECIEVED: BOAR HIDE (MATERIAL)