Memories (Miaki/Nikki)

This is an event that took place while Miaki and Nikki were hiding away from the front lines.

This is the ever important wedding

Floor 1 

The pair stood facing the lake hand in hand. Elyth stood in front of them smiling, her eyes watering as she looked at the couple. Nikki wished that she wouldn't cry, it only made her want to as well, and it was already difficult enough to fight back the tears. Of course these weren't tears of sorrow, instead they were joy, joy for what had happened, joy for what was now, and joy for what would come. This was a happy day, a wedding in Aincrad, a joining of two players for better or for worse. In the short time that the game had been up, several couples had joined like this, and most had failed. This time, with these two, it was different.

Miaki the Silver Swordsman, was a man of outstanding character. He was loyal and true, kind hearted and strong. His strength with a blade was only bested by the strength of his love. The woman Next to him, Nikki "The River" Styx was a woman without fear. She was strong and independent and not afraid to fight anyone and anything for her beliefs. Just like her will, nothing could break her love. This was the couple, these were the players, a match predestined before SAO had even been conceived. 

They had met some time earlier, it had been a random encounter, nothing special or outstanding. Nikki had been training players how to fight, improving their chances of survival, when she bumped into the charismatic man called Miaki. The pair had exchanged words, and parted way soon after. Within days of the encounter Nikki had become withdrawn, pulling away from everyone and everything, only to disappear into obscurity. She spent her time alone, preferring that to the risk of losing her friends. But she quickly learned that this was no way to live. 

Upon her return to the world she was met by many familiar faces, one of which was Miaki. He had grown much in the short time she was away. He had become powerful and even raised up the ranks of a guild. The remarkable thing was that the pair were not on each others friends list, yet in a game of nearly 10000 people they found each other not once, but twice. from that point on the pair was inseparable. They quested together, fought side by side. They encouraged each other to become stronger, through competion and encouragement. And eventually they developed feelings for each other. 

Everything was made evident during the floor 8 boss fight. In a random act of affection Miaki had kissed her in front of everyone. His affection had been returned however and the pair went on to aid in the defeat of the boss. Miaki had promised to take the young tank out to dinner after the victory and he made good on his promise, showing her the night of her life, and even going so far as to propse to her. Nikki said yes. 

Not long after the pair had been in a party to scout out the next floor, and after finding the boss, they had decided to take some time on their own. To retreat away and really get to know each other, leaving matters of the front lines in the hands of those who were capable. All of that led them here, to this moment right now. They could have been married at any point, as the system allowed it easily. But they had decided to make it special, to have something to remember. After a lot of discussion they decided that Elyth, a close friend to the couple, should be the only one present.

Nikki looked into Miaki's eyes for a moment, smiling as a pink flush rose in her cheeks. A few tears began to well up and she had to look away quickly to keep from crying. No one had said anything for a long while, nothing had needed to be said. The silence lasted a few more moments before the silence was finally broken. "Are you sure you're ready for this?" Nikki had asked as she returned her gaze to his. For the first time she could see tears in his eyes, and she suddenly felt worried that she had said something wrong. He only smiled and wiped away his own tears. "I logged in ready."

Elyth shed a few tears, sniffling happily as she prepared herself for what was to come. "Okay," She said wiping away her tears and trying to compose herself. "Then lets do this." She took a deep breath and adjusted her own dress. "We are here today, You Nikki, and You Miaki. To get married." She hesitated another moment as more tears of joy clouded her vision. "You two have been together, almost inseparable for a long time now, and it's time to make it official."

Another moment passed in silence as the pair stared into each others eyes. Nikki could feel the butterflies in her stomach, she was so nervous and so happy, and it was clearly visible. Miaki continued to look strong, like the man she had fallen in love with, but his eyes showed the deeper feelings he had. They say that the eyes are where you can truly see joy, and when she looked into his that was all she could see. "Within our world," Elyth continued. "There are no certainties. No one can predict what comes tomorrow, or in a week, or even whats waiting just above us on the next floors. But I know in my heart that the two of you will stand together. Miaki, it is your job, from this day on, to comfort Nikki, to appreciate her, to remind her that she is a beautiful and loved woman. Nikki, It's yours to stand by him, protect him, and cherish every second you have with him." She sniffled again and raised her hand to wipe away another volley of tears that had began to fall.

Nikki had started to cry as well, her tears glistening like crystals in the setting sun, as they ran down her cheeks. She was beaming now, flushed pink and swelling with elation. "Oh michael." she whispered as he raised a finger to her lips, his smile growing more. Elyth continued to speak, her voice beginning to quiver as her resolve faded. "I am here, by your invitation to bear witness to your love. I am also here to ask you if either of you have any doubt. If so, please say now." Everyone seemed to hold their breath at this moment. Nobody wanted to speak first, nobody wanted to speak. 

The silence was broken only by Miaki as he shook his head. "I have no doubt that I want to spend the rest of my life with you Abigale." Nikki burst into full on tears now as she flung herself forward hugging Miaki tightly. "I do.. I do too. I want to spend it all with you." She sobbed, with still the largest smile she could muster. Tears had now fallen down Miaki's cheek, no doubt rocked free by the powerful embrace of the tank. 

After a moment it was Elyth who broke up the pair. She wiped away a few more tears before she spoke up again. "Hang on guys were almost there." She half laughed. "Ok, then Miaki, would you please get your ring and present the request?" Miaki did as he was told and pulled open his GUI. 

Miaki scrolled through his menu with a tunnel vision on the display in front of him. Time felt out of place for him. Too fast? Too slow? He wasn't quite sure. He just knew it was off and he was certain he would overlook the marriage request icon. He had practiced it a few times the night before but there was a clear difference between practicing and application. He found it and practically jabbed it with his two forefingers. As soon as the request sent Miaki shoved his right hand into his pocket and clutched the ring in his pocket. He saw his hands shaking as he pulled the ring out and trying to hold it with his fingers instead of the palm of his hand. He could just imagine how much of a fool he was making of himself right now. Two simple actions that required mundane motor skills. Yet the young man fumbling over himself and taking forever. Biting down hard behind his lips Miaki pulled himself together and regained control of his appendages. He gently took her hand and held the ring to her finger.

"Abigale, when we first met I.... I didn't realize that I had just met the woman of my life. Not understanding why I kept thinking about you. Time went by and the friends I began to make knew nothing about you but I just kept thinking about the blue haired beauty. We I found you again, it was on the fourth floor in some random tavern. Of all the taverns to be in we found ourselves in the same one that day. The sudden sight of you gave me such joy and excitement." Miaki was at his breaking point with tears. He almost couldn't see. Everything was blurry and obscured by the tears in his eyes. Nikki brought her hand up and wiped them away with a single finger. "I promise to be there for you. I know I'll mess up. A lot. But I will do my best for you. Be the best for you. You challenge me to be a better person. You are the shield to my sword." He looked down and started to put the ring on her finger. "My partner. My dearest friend. I love you Abigale Sticks. You are the greatest thing that has ever happened to me and made me the happiest person in Aincrad."

Nikki began to tremble again, her eyes still watering. She was shaking now as his words took hold of her. She was getting married and he did love her, he really did. Her only regret now was that her family was not here for this. She wondered now what they would think when she got out of this place and introduced them to her husband. She could see her dads stern look, but she knew that when he met Miaki, he would like him. SHe could see her mom start crying in much the same way she was now. She could even picture her brothers giving Miaki a hard time. SHe wished they could be here, but took relief in the thought of getting to do this all over again once they got out of this game.

Miaki had spoken sweetly, much like he always had. His charm shining through now, even though he had already won her heart. Nikki took a moment to wipe away a few more tears before Elyth spoke. "Miaki, that was beautiful. Nikki, It's your turn." she said as she gave Nikki a gentle nod. The blue haired woman began to tremble even more as she retracted her hand from Miaki, and reaching toward her dress. Hanging neatly tied to a white ribbon was a matching silver ring, that up until this point had been unnoticed. It was looped neatly near where her heart was. A gentle pull from Nikki, released the bow, allowing the ring to slide free into her hand. 

She took a moment holding onto it, while staring at the marriage request present to her. "Michael," She started. "Michael, we have been here for some time now. We have fought alone, and we have stood together. We have proven our individual strengths and we have proven the strength of our hearts. I know... I know that where I fall you will stand to pick me up again. You give me strength when I feel weak, you push me when I can't move. You have followed me on one fool hardy quest after another." A small laugh escaped her now as she remembered the trek through the jungle to find Titan, and their draped out hunt for the special skills. "We have traveled across all the explored regions of this world, and even mapped a few ourselves." 

She took a second now to regain her composure, all the good memories coupled with the emotions of the day were overpowering her. "I know that we will survive all of this together, and that even when we wake up, I will hold you in my heart like I do now. I want to be with you forever." More tears flooded her eyes now, her vision was blurred, and somehow she still managed to find his hand and raise it up. "I will marry you, and I will do my best to be everything you deserve and more. I love you" With her final words she slid the ring onto his finger and gently clicked the accept button on her window. Elyth beamed at the two through tears of her own before saying the words she had been waiting to say all day. "Miaki. Michael, You may kiss your wife Abigale." 

There was a flash of movement as Miaki took the opportunity he was given. He placed a hand on the small of Nikki's back and pulled her in close. Before she could do anything else he dipped her backwards so that she had to throw her arms around his neck. She giggled as she pulled him in closer and kissed him for the first time as his wife.