[SP-F9] Keeping a Friend (Completed)

With the newest loot in hand, Tyger picked up the winnings and walked over to the large footprint, picking up the silly rock Icarus had been playing with the first day she'd met him. Backtracking wasn't too hard, considering she hadn't wandered too far from Vulcan to begin with. "First Floor." The only words she'd muttered after fighting the Magma dragon.

The first floor was cheery as ever, but Tyger made her way back to her shop without much emotion. Opening the door to the shop, she greeted Baldur before stripping off her armor and hanging it up in the Forge. Icarus wasn't there, so she'd have to check upstairs. Her initial thought was to make something to cover the spines and ridges on the side of his face, limiting the amount of coal he could rub on everything, but she decided against it. She needed to talk to the familiar. So, with that, she headed upstairs.

Icarus wasn't in his usual place in the bedroom. Usually, he was on the bed wrapped up in as many covers as he could tangle around himself. Creating the mini-dragon cocoon warmed him up, and the warmth from his body helped keep him that way. Instead, after searching the entire room, Tyger let herself lean against the wall and slide down it until she was sitting on the floor. A small sound, like a startled dragon, resounded from under the bed. So that's where you're hiding... 

"Icarus, c'mere a second, please."

Silence. But, after a few moments of consideration, the dragon slowly crept out until his nose was visible from under the bed. When Tyger moved the covers, she could see his eyes peeking out from the darkness, fixed intently on Tyger. She could tell her familiar was sad, but hopefully she'd mend their bond here and now. After all, her experience had been a bit more than eye opening.

"Icarus, I..."

Tyger sighed and leaned her head up against the wall, closing her eyes. Frustration swept over her. She shouldn't be even having this conversation. What kind of friend was she? Was she this bad in real life?

"I'm sorry.. I may have been taking advantage of you and your power, and I wanted to say that i'm sorry. I don't ever want you to feel underappreciated. In fact, I want you to be annoyed with how often I tell you how awesome and fantastic and loved you are. And, I just haven't been a good friend lately."

Tyger waited for a reaction before continuing. When she opened her eyes and looked down, Icarus's head was poking out from under the bed. Well, progress.

"I went back to the floor I met you on. Floor 9. Do you remember?"

She could picture it pretty well, considering she was just there. Icarus merely blinked and listened, so Tyger continued.

"I saw Fire Elementals, and hell hounds, and some weird cat just completely covered in fire. And, do you know what?"

Tyger paused, checking to see if Icarus was paying enough attention to really care what she said. Thankfully, he was. His eyes sparked slightly, almost like they were coming back to their full luster. 

"None of them were you. None of them could ever be you. They were mindless, and angry, and totally uncuddleable."

"What i'm trying to say is, I don't care if you get coal smudges everywhere. I don't care if you totally smudged up Baldur's jacket, or our covers on the bed. It's you! It's part of you, and it's part of why I love you. I mean, I don't see how I got so lucky when it came to finding a friend here. Odds were totally against me finding something that if I touched it, my hand would burn off. A little coal? Pfft."

When Tyger looked down, half of Icarus's body had emerged from the bed. But, when Tyger looked, the familiar stopped moving. So, Tyger leaned her head back onto the wall and closed her eyes, smiling slightly as Icarus didn't want to be seen.

"Nothing out  there was like you. You're playful, and you played with this rock. Yeah, this one. I even went back and found it. And you were sweet! The way you nibbled on that bread was just way too adorable. And, you even snuggled with me at the end of the day. It was a pretty fantastic moment."

Tyger pulled up her inventory and took out the rock, laying it on the floor next to her. She also took out the crystals and placed them by the rock as well.

Icarus had emerged from under the bed, and sniffed at both before gumming at the rock with the same playful spark she'd seen when they first met. After a few moments, his attention dwindled and he approached the crystals with curiosity. He sniffed at them, and then looked up with realization and clarity at Tyger. Even though the human didn't know what they were for, and probably wouldn't ever know, Icarus loved them all the same. How did she know? Icarus had picked them up gingerly, and placed them on the chair where Icarus's 'bed' was before Icarus had made his bed THEIR bed. 

"So... I'm sorry that you felt under appreciated, and I hope I never make you feel the same way in the future. I love you, little guy."

Tyger apologized fully, and after Icarus had spent so much time placing the crystals down gently, he lumbered over to Tyger and jumped into her lap, licking sloppily at her face and getting coal and smudges everywhere.

And you know what? 

Tyger didn't mind a bit.