[PP-F2]Childhood Rivals (Sayre)

Elise wandered in the town of Floor 2, Urbus. It's a beautiful town with many medieval Europe buildings. She recognized this building to her left- a manor. It's like the one she used to live in back then, just smaller. She turned her head back straight. It made her remember bad things. Sixteen years being choked with books and lessons aren't exactly a pleasant memories. She only had few friends- and this boy she got into a fight with when she was ten, but he could be the one who knows her true self. She smiled reminiscing the silly event.

She recently figured out how to travel between floors. You can travel to your destination as long as the boss in that floor has been cleared. Which according to rumors is stuck on floor.. Eight? Nine? Either way it would be a very long time until the game would be cleared. Maybe years. There's no guarantee she won't be killed by some mobs before they clear the game.. Nah. Elise brush off the thoughts. She is Adriane Chevalier, and simpleton Als are not likely to kill her. 

(Excuse any formatting mistakes, I'm in class and mobile is not nearly as user friendly, hah.)

Sayre wandered the floor, caught up in his own thoughts like usual. He had already met so many people that were friendly and just trying to enjoy the game, while he was trying to get powerful to crush everyone in his path. He couldn't start out arrogant, he had to start out modest and friendly, just like IRL. His stomach began to grumble violently, "Have I eaten anything since I started this game? How long have I even been here for..." he silently inquired, glancing around at the others around him.

The one thing that he could enjoy, was the simple beauty of the world around him. For something as menacaing of a concept as Aincrad, the trees, the buildings, all the little imperfections of the world spoke to him like nothing ever has. His jaw dropped.

"Speaking of imperfections!" he shouted, as he plopped his hand onto the shoulder of a familiar face. I thought you looked a little familiar...tell me I'm not mistaking?" He scoffed, as someone he wasn't necessarily fond of fell right into his line of sight.

Elise was lost in her reverie when someone shocked her. At the moment that hand touched her shoulder she could feel something like electricity rushed from her spine. She got tense like a scared cat and instinctually swung her hand, slapping the stranger's hand off her shoulder. "Perv! Stay away!" Aincrad sure was filled with these kind of people. Most people didn't dare do anything to her but this one was quite daring. The stranger's lucky. If her hand wasn't empty, if she had equipped her rapier earlier the game would have an extra amputee. She took two quick steps and turned to the stranger. To her surprise, this man is no stranger. 

"Sayre? Nick Sayre?" Speak of the devil! She examined his face, matching her memory from eight years ago to the face in front of him. Yep, if not his twin he's definitely the same person. Elise lost words to say. She winced and the first sentence coming from her mouth was, " 'Speaking of imperfections'?" she winced. "Tell me my ear's not mistaking that" she returned his words back, demanding explanation from his previous remark. "No, I'm sure you didn't mistake me as a wrong person, if you're looking for another fight." Did he remember? 

Sayre flinched and backed up, his hand thrust off the girls shoulder as she exclaimed he was a perve. "Oh come on, you don't call an old friend a perve, do you?" he laughed, hanging on the word 'friend' in respect to their history together. Way back when, these two had an altercation. The funniest part of everything is he just has a distaste of her through what he remembers her to be, but he doesn't actually even have a reason. Through the years his memory has gotten worse and worse, a lot of that could be all the late nights programming, reading, and even worse the partying. What Sayre does remember is nothing good, but it was when they were young. Does she even remember either? The look on her face says yes, but in all actuality she could just be responding to Sayre's conceited mentality. While he has been relatively nice to everyone he has encountered in the game, he wasn't going to control him self here. However, Elise definitely was more pretty than he remembered compared to when they were kids, but that doesn't mean he was going to make any exceptions. Truth is, Sayre really wasn't always the nicest person, but it was never really other people he cared about.

"Don't worry about it so much, sheesh. You stepped out in front of me when I was in the middle of a thought, and I felt like it was a fitting transition, do you not agree?" He winked at Elise, a mischievous smile rounded up on his cheeks. "You've always been so sensitive..when are you going to learn to relax?" Sayre remarked, after he nodded to the inquiry about his identity. "So you're stuck here too, huh? I give you a week, and that's being generous." he scoffed at her, and chucked under his breath. 

Elise tossed her ponytail back and raised her chin, "If you don't want to be called a pervert , then don't act like one." She brushed her shoulder as if she's cleaning dirt off it. She ignored his comment about 'old friends' and only responded shortly, "Long time no see... Sayre." She gave a rather stiff greeting, considering how long has it been for them to meet. Elise tried to regain her composure. Standing with a smirk, there stood the last person Elise expected- and wished to see here. 

Having an acquaintance in Aincrad would be nice, but it's a different story with Sayre. Years ago, when she was abroad because of her father's job, she met Nick Sayre. At first, she played the sweet little girl role but somehow he got into her nerves when they were alone and she- showed her demons which even her parents didn't know about. With Sayre, Adriane felt less pressured and free because she didn't have to keep her play pretend. But he has her weakness, her dark side. Plus his attitude is so annoying! Who's Sayre to her? An enemy as the past stated? A friend as he playfully said? No, rival feels more right of a word.

"Hmph! As if I'd be killed by some random game. If you can't even survive for a week it doesn't mean that I can't, too." Elise sneered back. "And yes, stuck would be the right word, I'd say." Especially with you . She didn't say the last part. "Judging by your words it seems you're doing well? Or did I overestimate you?"

Sayre put out a blatantly insincere laugh, "Come on, are we just going to stand around and jab each other all day? Your attempts to insult me are honestly pretty sad, and I'm getting tired of just standing here." He brushed the hair out of his eyes, and leaned up against the brick wall that they were so close to. IRL, the sun probably would have been scorching Nick's skin, however in SAO he felt the slight gust of wind, and the subtle warmness under beautiful Aincrad. How long could the two sustain such an awkward rivalry? "How long can I sustain a conversation surrounded in insults and whitty remarks? Actually, probably all day...but it's simply not worth my time, not here at least." he remarked to himself. However, he was quite honestly tired of being mean to someone who was actually alright. Elise seemed pretty flustered over this whole encounter, and it was actually dragging on Sayre's mood.

"You know, I don't offer this to just everyone, and definitely don't get any ideas..but why don't we go grab a bite to eat, or something else? I'm sure I have a lot of catching up to do with your boring life, how many years has it been? I'm actually pretty hungr-" His stomach grumbled obnoxiously loud, to which Sayre sighed, a slight hint of embarrassment flushed his face. "Pretty, hungry, that is." 

"Tch..." Elise knew what's coming but she couldn't help but being speechless because she didn't have anything else to say. He was her childhood rival, after all. He knew some of her weakness, including her vulnerability, her pride. She wasn't used to get the lower hand in arguments. Especially after he commented about how lousy her response was. Elise calmed herself. No time to fret. Her pride quickly recovered and she replied with nonchalant attitude. "Have to agree with you. This is simply time-wasting." If she argued with Sayre there's no telling when their exchange of pleasantries would end. 

He offered her to eat out, and at the same time his stomach growled loudly that Elise could hear. She couldn't help but giggle. "Famished, aren't you? Well I just got here so I don't really know about restaurants or the sort. I guess I'll give you the honor to show me around, since it's your suggestion. If I'm satisfied I might want to hear your side of the story before I tell mine"  With your boring life. Elise didn't deny the statement. Her life was pretty drab when she lived in England, but he didn't know how much it changed since she moved to Japan. Her personality has changed too, but for better or worse? Either way maybe she could get Sayre to treat her to a nice meal. She has only been consuming bread and water in Aincrad.

"Sure, I'll show you around a bit. You looked like a lost puppy before I recognized who you were, in fact, I was pretty close to taking you to the shelter before I tapped your shoulder." He laughed, as he gestured Elise to follow him through the bustling city streets. Shops were loud, and quite obnoxious, as people were thrusting their money out in return for swords, armor, buffs, food, all the likes. Meanwhile there were people laying in the streets, just like in the city Sayre was from. "Elise, do you think people choose to be this hopeless? You'd think here, of anywhere, people would be more willing to level up and battle. I guess what I'm trying to say, is I don't get the mentality of the people who won't try and survive?" This concept was so foreign to Sayre because he had already leveled up further than most people who started at the same time as him, and even geared up significantly more as well. He had a distaste for inaction, and the people who lay there screamed laziness and hopelessness. 

The road up ahead opened up, however, the sky did too. The rain began to pour down, and quite honestly this was the first time that Sayre got to experience the rain in Aincrad. This had him moving his feet that much faster, however rain in game wasn't like IRL, it was pretty weird, actually. Sayre still felt him self getting wet, but it wasn't as uncomfortable as he was used to. Anyway, he wanted to hurry up and eat.

He turned around the corner, and just down the road was a little pub that he was familiar with, in fact, it was the only one he was familiar with. Truth be told, he didn't spend a lot of time down here at the shops, however Elise seemed to think that he really knew what he was doing down here so he figured he'd keep that facade rolling. Sayre was quite excited for a sandwich, it was nothing like the food he was used to, but at this point he'd probably eat anything. "Here we are!" as they closed up on the door, he stepped in front of the lady to grab it and open it, and made a grand gesture motioning her inside, obviously in jest. "I've spent a large majority of my time fighting since I've gotten here, I suppose I can enjoy my self for a couple hours." he thought to himself.

"It sure is busy, isn't it?" Elise looked around. In Urbus the activity is nearly as busy as the Starting City. Lots of shops, chatting players, and.. Bums? Elise heard Sayre commented about them. "Did you hit your head when you got here or something? Why getting all caring for?" Elise glanced sideways. There were two siblings, a brother and his elder sister. They were laying on the street. Two feet near them there was an upside down <<Worn Helmet>>. There was no notes but Elise knew what's it for. "Maybe our and their means to survive differ. To us, in order to survive and thrive we have to create our own path, sometimes putting us in danger. God knows how many players whose lives have been consumed by the game. To them, they know you won't die as long as your HP didn't reach zero. They practically have a better chance of living- no, existing." She opened her HUD and summoned a <<Bread>> and a <<Bottle of Water>> "But I want to live, not just survive. You know I can't accept the fact people dying in front lines for our sake. My pride won't accept that." She glanced at Sayre in front of him. When he was looking at the other way she dropped the items to the upside down helmet. The siblings stirred in their sleep. Elise stroked their foreheads. They were very young, like 10ish? And they've been stuck in all this madness. Elise stood and turned to Sayre, who's nearly left her. "Wait up!" She stood and caught up to him.

Item Transaction :

- 1 Bread, -1 Water Bottle

She felt the raindrops and opened her palm, letting them fell into her hand. "It's... Raining." The game was pretty much like real life. The more she spent her time here, the more amazed she was. It's just something felt off from the rain. Like getting soaked but still feeling dry. Soaked? Oh, no! She tried to block the rain with her hand. Of course it was futile. She raised her pace and she was half-running, following Sayre. It's just a little pub, but now she's soaked and hungry after all that running she would eat anything served there. He opened the door and gestured her inside in a grandiose way. She chose not to comment, as his gentleman-like action has attracted a few pairs of eyes inside the pub and she doesn't want them to get the wrong impression.

She sat down in the nearest table facing the counter. Elise craved for food other than bread, but she's at loss at what to order. "Let's see... Soup, sandwich, boar steak- that's expensive." She turned to him. "I think I'll have what you usually order. Don't try to poison me."

Sayre smirked at Elise who was tentatively selecting items off of the menu, it was nice to get out of the rain as it was getting pretty terrible outside. His hunger intensified as the smells lofted through the air towards him, sometimes it was easy to forget he was in a game just because of how well the NerveGear tapped into ones senses. He wasn't particularly sure what to order either, and it all looked incredibly delicious. Leaning back in his chair and brushing his hair off of his forehead, he surveyed the menu, looking over all the same things that Elise was just mentioning. His posture was awful, and it was probably pretty unprofessional to be leaning back in his chair, it was most likely a nervous habit, and it wasn't like he was trying to impress his old rival. It all seemed so delicious, it was impossible to decide.

"Yeah, I think I like just about everything you mentioned. I think I'm going to go with just a sandwich, however feel free to get what you want, I'll happily pick up the tab - poison free, of course." He nodded, very gentlemanly. He then leaned in a little bit towards Elise, placing both of his hands on the table and picking up his eye contact just a little, "Listen, I'm going to be quite honest, and I'm going to be sincere for a second so bear with me, I don't do this often. I don't remember exactly what happened so long ago when we were kids, and my jokes and picking on you aren't directed, I'm like that with everyone. You know, I'm not a terrible guy, all the time..." - Sayre trailed off, looking around for the waiter so he could place his order - "Take what I just said for what it's worth, but you know what I'm saying, right?"

Elise closed the menu after she decided what to order. "Sandwich? Ugh, I'm sick of bread. I changed my mind. I'll order soup instead." Is it really his treat? How nice of him. She hates to admit but she couldn't wait for the food to come. She was starving and a sizzling hot soup would warm up her cold body. 

When they were waiting Sayre brought up the topic about their childhood. Elise raised her eyebrows. "I think the NerveGear must have messed with your head. The past's the past. I don't care about what happened and nor should you, either. Oh, and I know your character well Sayre. Don't need to spell it out for me. We're childhood friends after all." she pressured the word friends. It's true Sayre didn't do anything wrong. But she's still unsure. He was like the person closest to her who knows her true characters before she moved to Japan. But it also makes her vulnerable.

She gazed at their table. "Better start eating soon before it gets cold.." she eyed Sayre's sandwich.

OOC : (Gomenasai for my absence. Will try to make it up for 2 more weeks.. Before exam week strikes again DX)