[PP:F1] All Journeys Begin With a Single Step (Dervish)

Today was determined to slay as many boar and other wild things as she could. The woman had spent weeks slowly leveling up on in town quests, and she finally felt that she was ready to take on more challenging things. She remembered from her talk with Vashtor that things in the field weren’t going to really be bad, not on the first few floors anyway. That brought her likelihood of dying down to a very minimum level. This was the sort of small risk Zaz could take because there wasn’t any real risk to her at all.

The woman walked along very quickly with a look of determination written all over her face. “I can do this…†she told herself over and over with every step she took. If this had been any other RP, she’d have been out in the fields weeks ago happily hacking things up to itty bitty pieces, but of course, SOA was a different animal, and Zaz was going to need to draw as much strength from her will as she possibly could.

Anna had walked clear across town and was about to make her way through the archway that separated the Town of Beginnings from the rest of the floor. She stood there for a moment contemplating the choice she was making.

“I can do this…†she reminded herself and then set out to have her first real adventure.  

Dervish headed out that day to test his new weapon more out of boredom than necessity, this was because he felt like he hadn't looked anything just yet and he still hasn't determined his profession, this bugged him somewhat as he heard you could find chests randomly in the wilds outside the cities. He looks around and stood at the edge of the town of beginnings looking for a way in which to head first. That was when he heard it, a voice of a girl he heard from before one that was quite hostile towards him before hand, but he held no I'll will towards her.

"What can you do then? Since you seem to be trying to convince yourself" he approached her at the entrance and said simply "You going into the wilds then. Although I'm sure you could handle it yourself I would be happier if you'd let me accompany you into the wilds". If he was being honest he had thought back about Azazel before, not for long but he had a few thoughts about her, mainly that he like the individuality of her. So he waited for her answer happily. Smiling at her warmly so that even if his words may have seemed insulting or upsetting to say he meant it in te nicest and warmest way he could, his ice blue eyes glittering in the computer generated sunlight.

"What can you do then? Since you seem to be trying to convince yourself.†A voice said from behind her.

Zaz turned around only to be greeted by a semi-familiar face. She had met the man briefly before, she no real opinion of him other than the things he said rubbed her the wrong way. She supposed the things he said was because he was trying t be chivalrous, however she never liked being coddled, or made to feel weak.

“I’m about to go… out there. I don’t exactly know if I’d call this the wild,†She said cracking a smirk. “And thank you for your offer, but I don’t need any help. I am perfectly capable of handling some first level monsters on my own. I prefer it this way actually,†She shifted her hands to her hips as she kept talking,†Your chivalry might be charming to some girls… but you’re barking up the wrong tree here. I can take care of myself. Always have and always will.â€

Anna gave him a slightly stern look first for trying to be nice to her, and second for insulting her. “I’m going…†she said and began to take a step away.

He grinned as she began talking of chivalry and how it wasn't working on her so he decided to turn that switch off for a moment when he said the next thing. It was quiet and deadpan but lingering, like the icy breath of some creature breathing down your neck "It's not that you could do it yourself, it's that you believe that you going out there alone will be beneficial, when even if the worst happens and you died, you wouldn't want someone there with you? Or even just there to be with you in general, since no one would even know you passed on if you went alone. You seem the type to care about others despite this cold exterior so I will say this as frankly as I can. Let others care about you" with that sentence said he simply stood there and turned back to his old voice "Besides, I'm not trying to be chivalrous, but I am trying to make friends. Since you are someone I have seen more than once I would like it if we could be considered that at some point, that's all".

Dervish prodded his two index fingers against the other, almost completely forgetting the dark things he said beforehand as he felt embarassed, he hadn't said anything about liking her but when she threw that part up in the air he became a little embarassed as well as a bit astounded as he realised something, he DID in fact like her but that was not the point of this conversation, his point was he didn't want her to die and even if she did. There would be someone to witness it, someone to know how she died an mourn her.

"It's not that you could do it yourself…†Dervish called out to her.

Anna stopped but didn’t turn around. She stood there quietly listening to what he had to say. He told her that she was doing this because she thought it was better this way. This wasn’t entirely true. Anna just learned that she could never depend on anyone else, so she went things alone. He continued by telling her not to die alone, that it was better to have someone else there with her at the end. She didn’t care about that either. Zaz supposed his words were meant to scare her a bit, but she wasn’t afraid, of dying in the game, yes, but not of dying alone. Anna believed that in the end, everyone died alone. Dervish even tried to appeal to her “caring†self, but Anna did not think she was very caring. She just found herself in situations where she couldn’t just leave things alone. She thought she was more meddlesome than actually feeling.

“Let others care about you,†he told her.

But she couldn’t.

That would require letting someone in, and she had never done that, not really.

"Besides, I'm not trying to be chivalrous, but I am trying to make friends. Since you are someone I have seen more than once I would like it if we could be considered that at some point, that's all"

The woman lowered her head and closed her eyes, signing deeply at his words. This was really all too much for her to deal with right now.

“I don’t have friends…†Anna said and began to walk off again.

She meant to keep moving but she stopped yet again and turned around slowly. Dervish stood there looking slightly embarrassed about what he had said to her. She didn’t know what he had to feel awkward about; he was a kind person, and he was just trying to be kind to her too. Turning around once more she took another few steps and stopped again. “Move…†she tried to will herself, but she didn’t budge.

Zaz was frustrated. With what, she hardly knew, but the woman found that she just couldn’t walk away. Sighing again she looked back at the man with slight annoyance written across her face.

“Fine…†was all she said and started taking a couple more steps. She did not hear footsteps behind her so she looked over her shoulder and called out to him again.

“You comin’ or what?†

When she said fine, he looked at her rather dumbfoundedly, did that mean that he could come? He said to himself 'Really?' before she turned about and asked if he was coming. "Y-Yes, I am!" to which he covered the few meters between them in the space of a few fractions of a second. Grinning at her when he arrived next to her he said "So ... What were you planning on doing, just grinding or did you have a sort of goal?" Dervish smiled at her and followed maybe a foot behind her off to her right, that way if anything came out he could stand in front of her. He never outwardly said it but his true strength came from protecting others. 

After a minute or two of silence he looked at her and said "Hey, not that you have to answer ... But why are you so ... hostile to me. I mean I don't think I have done anything wrong but if I have then I apologise for whatever it was I did!" he stopped to take a full 90 degree bow of apology. When he looked up at her he would have a sad but happy expression hoping that she would accept his apology if there was one to give. but regardless, he would catch up with her and continue walking shortly after

As soon as she asked if he was coming or not, she heard heavy footsteps behind her that soon caught up to her. She kept her face looking forward but glanced at the man out of the corner of her eye and just smirked. Things were quiet for a moment but then he started asking her about what she had intended on doing.

“I said you could come along… I didn’t say anything about having a conversation,†she snipped, “And I didn’t have anything in mind. I was just going to start killing things and see where it took me. I just need to get out of here and start moving up to higher floors.â€

Dervish must have taken the hint because things were quiet once more. Anna walked along the path searching the fields for any sign of movement, but there was nothing there for her to see. The man began to speak once more and Zaz was about to growl at him again until his words caught her off guard. He wanted to know why she was so intolerant of him.

“I…â€she started. The sounds of him walking beside her had fallen away, so she turned around. He was bowing to her apologetically as if he’d done something wrong. “Don’t do that,†Anna said looking rather flustered. She moved toward him and put her hands on his shoulders trying to push him back upright. It was weird; she had never met anyone who cared about her opinion of them. Anna looked up at the man’s face looking him right in his piercing silvery blue eyes.

“I don’t really know why you make me soooo mad,†she started to explain, “But something about everything you say just pisses me off!†She balled her fists up, “You’re not doing anything wrong. I just…†she paused trying to think of how to explain something she didn’t even understand, “Just don’t be so…you-like and we’ll get along better.â€

Anna realized that she was standing far too close to him, so she dropped her hands and took a step back. She stood there uncomfortably not really knowing what to do next, until she decided to do nothing. Zaz turned around and started to walk off again slowly waiting for Dervish to join her. 

Dervish stated at her blankly, blinking in disbelief. "The reason you find me so annoying is because ... Basically ... I just am?" Dervish blinked while walking with her and kept staring at her. He wasn't sure what it was but this woman had issues with people, something told him she had issues with people in general, not just him. But to ease her a little, or what he thought would ease her, he said "Well how do you want me to treat you? I mean if you don't like me being nice that's fine but I am not gonna treat you like a piece of dirt. I don't know what kind of people you hang out with but I am not about to treat you in a non positive manner".

He looked at her concernedly when she wasn't looking at him but if she did decide to turn around at this point he would jump and begin blushing again, before turning and spotting a boar grazing in the distance and he pointed to it "Well I guess we could stop the talking for a bit and kill something?" At this point he was a little confused, she wasn't treating him badly, she just wasn't being particularly nice like he was, he understood damage due to his past and hoped that she eventually would warm to him, because despite her brash nature, she let him tag along.

"Oh we forgot!" At that point he slid his index finger down to pull up his menu and he sent an invite to a party to her "Ah that's it! Azazel, well either way I'm Dervish I'm sorry but I'm terrible with names personally!" He said sheepishly as he pressed confirm for the invite.

"The reason you find me so annoying is because ... Basically ... I just am?"

“YES!†Anna said turning toward him and stomping her foot. “I don’t know how I can be any clearer on that.â€

It was obvious that he didn’t understand what she found so darn annoying, and it became even clearer when he tried to explain it to her. She listened to him waiting impatiently for her turn to speak, but it was getting really hard for her to do so. Anna crossed her arms across her chest defensively, trying her best not to explode as they continued to walk along.

“Look, “ Zaz waved her arms around exasperatedly still avoiding looking at him directly. “I’m not saying to be a jerk… but don’t freaking coddle me either. Yes, I am a female, but that doesn’t mean I can’t handle things. I have been taking care of myself since I was a little girl. I don’t need anyone trying to come to my rescue like I’m some kind of princess or a doll or something! My sex and my size have nothing to do with my ability to get things done!†She stamped her foot for good measure.

The man quieted once again and Zaz hoped he would understand now. It seemed like he did because he spoke again.

"Well I guess we could stop the talking for a bit and kill something?

“Yes, let’s do that,†she agreed.

"Oh we forgot!" He said and stopped to open his menu. He introduced himself to her again and sent a party request.

“I remember who you are... “Zaz replied, “ I don’t often forget names or faces.â€She clicked “accept†to his invitation. 

He listened to her whilst he made his way over to the boar. He was actually leading the way this time and drew his large, oversized sword before moving but he stopped about 2/3rds of the way there and turns around quickly with an angry and painful expression on his face "You think I am coming with you and being nice because you're a girl! That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! And I didn't come with you because I thought you needed help! I just said to be careful, I've seen people die out here because they were stupid enough to come alone! You can be as hard as you like because you had a shitty childhood, but I'm nice to people because I'm giving people what I never had! Shitty childhoods aside, you are probably a very decent person, just dig deep and look past your pain to find what you so desperately want to achieve!"

He said his piece and much like the last pieces of information he assumed there would be a comeback or something to follow it up, so in order to avoid that he turned around and charged at the boar. He figured that after her explanation she understood him and he understood her a lot better, the pain of having bad childhoods was deep in the two of them. The difference was that Dervish found the light at the end. As he charged he turned to her whilst running and shouted almost as if the last conversation hasn happened "You coming or what!?"

Zaz followed behind Dervish carrying on in her tirade, moving toward the boar that she hadn’t even noticed. He turned around and gave her a look that confused her, and then proceeded to chew her out right back. Anna was surprised and a bit impressed. Normally other people would have dropped it and left things at that, But Dervish was crazy and told her to get past all her own BS.

In that very instant she wanted to hit him, square in his stupid face! But she wouldn’t do that. That would just cause more problems for her and she wanted none of it. She just stood there red in the face, her hand balled up in a fist, squeezing them so hard her knuckles were white.When he finished he turned around and charged the boar.

"You coming or what!?" he shouted at her like déjà- vu.

Drawing her rapier Anna chased behind and followed Dervish’s lead. If she couldn’t take her frustration out on Dervish, she was going to take it out on that damned boar!

ID: 15180 Battle: 3     Mob: 9

Dervish leapthaphazardlyinto the fight, obviously having troubles thinking about his past, in doing so completely forgot about the boar. In doing so had the boar slam into him long before he even had a chance to move his swordarm. The boar taking him as it did knockedhim back into consciousness of the real world as he slid backwards, a red mark where the tusk would have peirced his skin.

He began to drift back to his childhood, consistantly being beaten by his father and being left to recover in his room mainly, but he shook that from his mind, he had to. This was due to the woman Zaz being with him. He yelled "Dammit! Switch!" as he punched the ground and got to his feet. The damage wasn't huge but it knocked his confidence a little seeing as he wasn't in the here and now.

Dervish 11/13

Boar 8/8

15190     2015-05-02  11:20:12  

BD: 1    

MD: 9

Dervish tried to attack the boar, but instead ended up getting slammed by the animal. Anna felt her stomach clench.  It was obvious he was distracted by their previous argument, but now was not the time to be concerned with such things. “FOCUS!†She scolded him. The man hollered for her to switch places so she could attack, and Anna moved to the front readying her sword for impact.

Zaz closed in on the beast, her weapon drawn. She lunged for the animal, but failed to make any sort of contact with her sword. Instead, the creature charged, knocking Anna off her feet and down into the dirt. What surprised her most wasn’t that she fell; it was that it actually hurt. She gathered her sense quickly and looked up in time to see the boar circle  around back toward them.  Anna got to her feet as quickly as she could and readied herself again. The animal may have gotten the drop on her once, but it would not do so again.

Azazel: 9/13 11/13

Boar: 8/8

**Edited for poor math skills! DON'T JUDGE!

Edited by Azazel