[SP-F4] Frozen Teardrop

Journal Entry 0001, Dec 7th, 2022 21:50

I was contacted while battling on the front-lines, a place where I felt at home even with the dangers involved in such work. I was told that my help was going to be needed, urgently, to deliver a package quietly and discretely. There would be col at the end, of course, and all the materials I could find during my journey, but most importantly, I was going to be repaying a favor to an old friend, getting me out of their debt. A clean slate, if you will.

I know why they contacted me to deliver this package, why I was asked opposed to some poor smuk. It's because they need it delivered, plain and simple. This isn't just a courier job, you don't call in your favor owed, for a simple courier job; you call it in when you don't have anyone else to call. That's ok though, I need a mission like this every once in awhile; I need the opportunity to ask myself, if I still want to live.

I'm going to be documenting the next few entries in this journal carefully, so if I die, someone knows. I don't usually care about such things, but I know how important this package is, even if I don't know WHAT this package is, and so if I die, I want someone to know, I gave it my damnedest. I want people to know, I gave it my all.

Signed,

Frozen Teardrop

Journal Entry 0002, Dec 8th, 2022 14:30

I'm presently trekking across in the 'winter wonderland' known as the Fourth Floor. Hah! More like frozen wasteland. It's going to be a long trip, but I feel confident that if the weather goes my way, and I make good time, that I'll be able to complete my trip with little trouble. I stocked up on supplies yesterday, bringing with me the following:

1 month rations

1 personal sleeping system

7 count change of clothes

21 count change of socks

1 count three-use fire crystal

1 count lantern, w/ thirty days oil

1 count collapsible shovel

1 fishing rod

1 package for delivery...

I had to choose my supplies carefully, balancing weight vs utility. The crystal was a last minute pick-up; it will be my latch ditch effort should I require an emergency fire. The clothes, rations, & sleeping system are all self-explanatory. I brought a lot of socks, but you can never have too many socks. I'm praying I don't need to change them more then three times a day. One lantern for traveling at night or in darkness, one collapsible shovel should it be needed.

On a whim I included my fishing rod. If I run out of rations I'll have to try and fish, but really, if I run out of rations, I'll probably starve; they'll be no getting through the layers of ice. Again, balancing weight vs utility, these supplies will have to last me til the next resupply opportunity depending on how long this takes.

It could take awhile.

Signed,

Frozen Teardrop

Results of my first material gathering just outside of town:

Attempt 1 - Fail!

ID 15944 LD 7 (4 + 2 Dog Tags + 1 Search)

Attempt 2 - Fail!

ID 15945 LD 7 (4 + 2 Dog Tags + 1 Search)

Attempt 3 - Success!

ID 15946 LD 21 (18 + 2 Dog Tags + 1 Search)

+ 1 Material!

Journal Entry 0003, Dec 9th, 2022 23:39

It gets dark early here. Around 2000 hours the stars were already populating the black sky. I nodded off for a few hours but woke up to pee. I hate leaving the sleeping system because it's so cold out, but a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do. As I was standing there, peeing off the side of a 50ft icy, frozen cliff-face, I had the most amazing view of the aurora-borealis, the 'Northern Lights', though in this case, it's a bit of a misnomer because I'm heading West. That was about ten minutes ago, now I'm sitting here writing under this beautiful view of the night sky. My body, up-to-my-chest, is zipped in my sleeping system, just waiting for my body-heat to re-warm my sleeping bag so I can get back to sleep.

The first two days of my journey have been very successful. Up to this point, I've been using a common trail created by other material hunters. As a result, progress has been quick, and I've been able to travel 3 days distance in just two days. But this is the last bit of the mapped out area; everything beyond here is blank on the most recently updated maps. The only reason I know where I'm going is because of the way-point marker given to me with the package. It's just a small triangle out in the black area of my map. I won't know more until I'm there I suppose...

Still, spirits are high, feet are dry.

Signed,

Frozen Teardrop

Results of my second material gathering, in the woods along the 'Trail of Frozen Pines':

Attempt 1 - Success!

ID 16041 LD 16 (13 + 2 Dog Tags + 1 Search)

Attempt 2 - Fail!

ID 16042 LD 4 (1 + 2 Dog Tags + 1 Search)

+ 1 Material!

Journal Entry 0004, Dec 10th, 2022 04:30

I'll be heading out in the next thirty minutes or so; as soon as daybreak starts. It feels...strange...wanting to write 'sunrise'. Is it really sunrise in a virtual world? I'll have to save such philosophical questions for another day. Thinking about today, well it should be interesting heading off into the great unknown. I'm sure there are individual players who have traveled out into the wastes, even entire guilds, but none of them have reported on anything out there. That could mean several things, possibly that there is nothing worth reporting, or that there are valuable resources and hunting locations which they are trying to keep to themselves, or worst of all, it could mean that none of them have returned safely.

I don't even know where the safe areas are, I don't even know if there are any safe areas ahead. The waypoint is way out there too, not just a few days but at this point, I have to make this delivery. Dumb package.

Signed,

Frozen Teardrop

Journal Entry 0005, Dec 10th, 2022 14:45

On the tail-end of lunch. So far the weather has been cold. Like yesterday was cold, only today was cold(er). Chow was good though, I opened the meal and it was a spicy bread with some sort of melon juice to drink. I'm actually sitting in a small cave I found. Wanting to get out of the cold and the wind, I ducked in here. It gets pretty dark so moving carefully, I scouted out the cave to make sure it was safe. I didn't run into any monsters, but while I was searching I did find a crystal grotto. I figured some of the alchemists might be able to make use of what I could salvage so I sat down and tried ripping out the crystals. It took some work, but I managed to rip out two materials...actually it was three, but I dropped it when I was getting lunch out of my bag, oops. The crystals aren't my thing, but someone should find a use for them.

Truthfully, I was thankful for the work of pulling the crystals out. The physical exertion warmed me up quite a bit, and by the time I was finished, I was starving and ready to eat lunch. So far it's been a good day traveling, no monsters...yet. The weather is crummy though, not looking forward to going back out into the cold in just a few minutes.

Signed,

Frozen Teardrop

Attempt 1 Success!

ID 16066 LD 19 (16 + 2 Dog Tags + 1 Search)

Attempt 2 Fail!

ID 16067 LD 11 (8 + 2 Dog Tags + 1 Search)

Attempt 3 Success!

ID 16068 LD 18 (15 + 2 Dog Tags + 1 Search)

+2 Materials

Journal Entry 0006, Dec 11th, 2022 22:45

I want to give a quick update. There are wolves wandering the wilderness, I know because I came across them earlier. I'm going to have to do everything I can to avoid them, and so I'm going to push out tonight. I slept for a few hours, and am intent on traveling for a few hours in the dark, hopefully I can push far enough to lose them, and then sleep until morning. Then I'll pick up tomorrow without a pack of wolves on my tail. I'm nervous, I'm way out here, I didn't expect a pack of 6 or 7 wolves to also be roaming around out here. Not having anyone to turn too is worrisome. I usually stay with the mid-sized guilds, but they wouldn't be out here. I'll just have to hope I can sneak away from my campsite.

...Did I say I'm really nervous? Because...I'm really nervous. Even on the front-lines I try and fight one or two at a time, not seven; and not seven wolves, pack animals who will all fight even better when fighting together. I'm setting out now.

Signed,

Frozen Teardrop

Journal Entry 0007, Dec 12th, 2022 04:30

Ok, I think I lost them. I stumbled around in the dark, I wasn't exactly the quietest ninja, but hey, like I said, I think I lost them. Damn near sprained my ankle in the process when my foot got caught in a small crack in the ice. I'm not sure where I'm at now, maybe over a lake? It's hard to tell because some parts are very icy, while others are covered in snow so thick, it's up to my knees! I'm doing well on rotating my socks and my clothes though, so I don't think I'll be dying of frostbite, at-least not yet. I've watched my HP gauge take environmental damage slowly in some of the harsher weather areas, so I've done my best to stay out of the weather if it's really gnarly out there. Hopefully, as day breaks, it will be nicer and I can get back to traveling during the day.

The dangers at night just aren't worth the risk. Going to get a few more hours of sleep, and will update sometime tomorrow. I'm about a week into this journey, and between a quarter to halfway towards my destination.

Signed,

Frozen Teardrop