[SP-F1]Blade of Dreams Quest: Forging the HardEdge

The oak tree toppled over and slunk down revealing nothing for him to grab. His head darted to the left, if he didn't know any better he felt like he was being watched. Great, he would be ganged up by wolves in the forest. He turned his head left and right and backed into a tree, his hand on the metal hilt of his basic greatsword. If the wolves were coming, he would not allow them the right to take him by surprise. As he was getting low to the ground, the sounds of combat could be heard...was it another party farming this area? Perhaps it was a lucky break that they were so he could get some extra strikes in the tree. As his cold eyes darted, he heard the sound of rushing footsteps, he readied his blade and out from the veil of darkness came the figure of Opal. Lindow sighed a heavy sigh and planted his blade point first into the ground. 

"Oh hey! Fancy seeing you here, were you going to attack me or something?"

"I heard wolves and didn't want them to get the drop on me. What are you doing out here?" Lindow asked.

"We ended our hunt early on account of the rain. I figured you'd still be out here hunting for materials. I caught one of the wolves that was closing in on this area, finished it off quickly as possible. Hey do you need some help?" 

"That would be great, if you could watch my back while I strip these trees of materials, that would be great."

"No problem! How many more do you need?" 

"Two more pieces of timber and I'll be done."

"Fantastic. Well, let's try and get those mats in before this rain gets any worse." 

Lindow nodded. He took to the next tree with the Amazing Opal standing guard, his axe aimed for the tree and gave it a good smack. 

==

ID: 28108 || LD: 8 [+0 Material]

Wood: 3/5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Any luck?" Opal said turning her head to him, her long raven hair slick with water.

"None. What is worse is that I only have been able to find only a few pieces within the last few hours. Its been a drag, I can tell you that much. We might be out here a little longer than I anticipated. Let me know if you wanna head back though, I don't mind ending the day early if it means being in a safe zone."

"I'm alright. I don't think these low level wolves are gonna be a problem for me, Lin. So go ahead and start striking down that next tree."

"Lin, my wife called me that often...Ah! Alright then! If you are up for it, then so am I." 

Lindow concentrated his next strike on a big oak tree that he had his eye on, "Give it a good strike!" Opal said facing him, but her stance ready just in case any wolf wanted to make a quick lunch while he was distracted. 

==

ID: 28110 || LD: 10 [+0 Material]

Wood: 3/5

"Ugh! Damn! Sorry! I'm just frustrated now. There has to be an easier way of going about this..." 

"Tough luck, isn't it? I remember doing that quest for a week straight. I had to just stop doing it for a while because I couldn't score any wood off these trees. Is it just wood you need? Or can you get something else?"

Lindow shrugged, he lowered his quest axe and took a look at the menu with a swipe of his finger. He looked at the details of the quest and what SAI needed in order to forge the Two Handed Greatsword, he looked at the list. Ores he had, wood of five, and a stinger from a wasp? He didn't see that before and scratched his head. Opal took notice of his confusion and inquired about it, "What's up?" 

"Oh? Nothing. Just that a Wasp Stinger showed up on the list. I didn't notice that before. But I still need two pieces of wood according to the material list." 

"Damn. Well, better get slaving on one of those trees. I had a Rapier forged in my quest. I had to strike down a few wasps and gather some ore but not any wood. I guess it depends on the type of sword you are aiming to get forged. One of those Hulkbusters I take it?" 

"Yeah, I like the weight of throwing this thing around. Something heavy tells me I can use it effectively. Damn this rain though, still up for some more?"

"Lead the way!"

Lindow nodded and found the next node, he just wanted to get this quest done and over with. And now that he realized it, he had a wasp stinger to obtain as well. He sighed hefting his axe and slammed it into the tree. 

==

ID: 28111 || LD: 16 [+1 Material]

Wood: 4/5

Crack! Whack! Thunk! Lindow leaned down and gave a cheer on the inside when he received another piece of wood. He gave an exhausted sigh and turned to Opal with a thumbs up...Then quickly dropped his hand and shook his head, no one does that anymore. In either case the duo walked to the next tree, Lindow had fits of good luck, but one more piece of lumber would surely do the trick and wrap up this portion of the quest. He cracked his knuckles and lifted the heavy quest axe over his head.

"Did you score anything good on your hunt earlier?" Lindow asked making light conversation.

"Nothing really, Raul scored a nice shield on his first drop, but other than that we didn't get anything we needed. Pawned it off at a shop and made some Col." Opal raised her hand over her head and yawned slightly, "Looks like the rain is calming down, we should be alright until night fall now. Let's hurry up and get that piece of wood excavated." 

"Trust me, I am trying," Lindow laughed. He went to the next node and they nodded at one another, he stood with his shoulder's squared and feet apart. THWACK!

==

ID: 28112 || LD: 16 [+1 Material]

Wood: 5/5

"Yes!" he exclaimed, an odd reaction from otherwise stoic like personality of the tow handed swordsman. Opal gave a small cheer with a hop of he feet and congratulated him. All that's left is the Wasp Stinger, so hunting for a wasp shouldn't be too difficult. 

"You know that cave by the entrance of the forest? You'll find stingers in there. Since this quest is solo, I can't go in the cave with you. I'll stay outside though until you come out, the wasp shouldn't be too much trouble for you. Not like that dire wolf we fought."

"Oh. You should head back into town then, its getting late and if all I need is the stinger than it won't take me much time to get it. You can head back home, I thank you-"

"Hey, I am with you till the end, Lin. Let's go get that stinger."

Defeated by the woman, Lindow nodded his head as they back tracked through the forest. The ground was damp and slippery and they came up to a small decline in the terrain. Difficult to navigate, Lindow found a tree branch to hold onto while he extended his hand out to Opal so she would not slip and fall towards the bottom. She reached out and touched it, but as soon as that happened, the momentum caught them both and slipped. They slid down the hill and she ended up on top of him, awkwardly pressed against one another. They laughed for a moment and then silence was in the air. Opal looked deep into his eyes, while she had a romantic interest in him...he had a wife and daughter at home. She simply smiled and held back her feelings and got up off of him. Lindow cleared his throat and got up, his clothes now muddied.

"The cave is just ahead now..." Opal said breaking the silence. They traversed the terrain once more, being careful of any dangerous pitfalls along the way. Opal stood at the mouth of the cave and gestured, "Good luck!"

Lindow nodded and entered the cavern for his stinger. 

Brandishing his massive blade in his hands, he navigated the wet cave slowly as he peered inside and steadied himself. With his hulking greatsword held with a tight grip he came to an inlet of the cave where there was one massive looking Wasp and a crimson red stinger. Sporting a smile, he slammed his blade into the ground to catch the attention of the wasp. 

"No escape for you...I need that stinger!" The wasp buzzed with ferocity and hurled itself, stringer first towards Lindow. The wings of the mighty wasp beat rapidly, the sound was quite loud as he was struck first with the crimson stinger. Lindow watched as his HP depleted by a small amount. The wasp backed away into the inlet of the cave but he would not allow it to escape, despite taking first blood. He grunted and hefted the heavy sword over his shoulder and charged in for the attack. The might blade came crashing down into the larger than normal sized insect and took a nice chunk out of it's health. 

==

Round 1: ID: 28113 

MD: 8 [+2 Dmg] || CD: 10 [+4 Dmg]

Turn Order: Wasp || Lindow

Stats

Lindow HP: 19/21 [-2] 

Giant Wasp: Hp: 10/14 [-4]

Edited by Lindow

The Giant Wasp seemed to be staggered from the critical hit as it beat its wing furiously and tried to regain its hovering stance. As it came forth, it rushed Lindow with its massive pincers that were sharp enough to cut him in twine. His thick and broad blade uplifted and danced over the insect as they battled and clashed against one another. Two pincers came at Lindow one after another, was this a double strike? He jumped to one side and deflected away to the right of one massive pincer, the other came in for a swipe overhead and landed against his face. He snarled and lifted his greatsword and spun around in place, the large insect and the two handed swordsman traded hits with one another making this battle even.

==

Round 2: ID: 28114

MD: 6 [+2 Dmg] || CD: 6 [+2 Dmg]

Stats

Lindow HP: 17/21 [-2] 

Giant Wasp: Hp: 8/14 [-2]

As he recoiled back from the blow and got back into a sturdy stance, he noticed he broke one of the Wasp's pincers. The large inset buzzed to the left and right angry and mad at the human warrior. It poised it's stinger once more at Lindow who reacted by bringing up his weapon to act as a shield although if the stringer struck him it would still do damage. He gave an unusually uncharacteristic grin as the large wasp flew first beating its massive wings against the air to mow him down. Lindow's dim grey eyes shot the insect a look as he dug his feet into the cavern floor below him. His boots finding their place beneath him as his hands tightened on the greatsword. As the Giant Wasp closed in on him, he would wait for the perfect opportunity to strike at it. As the buzzing wasp zoomed by, the lone stinger passed by Lindow without catching him and the same with the human. His overhand slash missed the target completely and they both landed on the opposite side of another in the cave once again. 

===

Round 3: ID: 28115

MD: 4 [-- Dmg] || CD: 3 [-- Dmg]

Stats

Lindow HP: 17/21 [] 

Giant Wasp: Hp: 8/14 []

Lindow turned back to face the insectoid. Its damaged body hovered weakly in the air before landing softly on the ground. Its wings beat quickly as if it was trying to take to the air again but it was unable to do so. Lindow laughed, "Seems your wings have been clipped. What can you do now?" As if answering the question, the insect lunged at the unsuspecting bladesman. Lindow backed away with his sword in his hand, he would attempt to chop it midair. As the bug came flying overhead with its massive body, Lindow uplifted his mighty greatsword and as planned slashed downward from an overhead strike and cut a massive chunk of the Wasp's body. It buzzed with frustration as it nicked the warrior with its pincer as it was coming down. They traded off hits, but it was Lindow who got the critical blow in. Weakly, the buzzing insect go up on its legs and staggered to the left and right, its body was badly damaged and it looked like the crimson stinger was about to break off. The insect fell over on it's side, it looks like it was about to just give up...

===

Round 4: ID: 28116

MD: 7 [+2 Dmg] || CD: 9 [+3 Dmg]

Stats

Lindow HP: 15/21 [-2] 

Giant Wasp: Hp: 5/14 [-3]

Lindow moved towards the injured giant wasp. It didn't move, perhaps it was just playing possum? He used his sword to smack it to see if it would make a move as he advanced towards it. The buzzing ceased and then it roared to life thrusting a pincer at Lindow shredding through his upper basic armor. He backed away feeling the blow as he was pushed down from the momentum. The Wasp glowed a violent green color as took to the air once more, growing into a frenzy. Lindow skittered back and got back to his feet. As the mutating wasp drew closer to him, the old swordsman twisted on his foot and ripped his blade through the air slashing at the dieing insectoid. The slash caused the Wasp to stagger once more, wounds covering its entire body. It buzzed once more with life, not quite ready to give him the battle. Lindow spat on the ground and uplifted his trusty sword.He stepped forward with a cocky grin and gestured the flying insect towards him.

===  

Round 5: ID: 28117

MD: 9 [+3 Dmg] || CD: 8 [+2 Dmg]

Stats

Lindow HP: 12/21 [-3] 

Giant Wasp: Hp: 3/14 [-2]

The glowing of the insect stopped, whatever mutation it was attempting to go through was thwarted by the lone swordsman. Icy eyes stared back as his grin faded, he still had to be careful despite having the upperhand in this battle. The insect got back on its legs but turned its stinger towards Lindow. The body of the Wasp was now glowing red, a mark that perhaps a special ability was about to go off. Lindow cursed under his breath, he didn't know the pattern of this mini boss and was unaware of the double damage the inflicting stinger could do. He was really wishing he had better equipment right now or a potion to save his ass, but alas all he had was this basic greatsword and out of all the battles he had, this sword has saved him time and time again. Most of his blows were successful. He brought the cold steel up to his head and tapped it as if praying for the blade to save him this one time as well. The insect in a last ditch effort to win this battle over, ejected its stinger and a high velocity from its body. 

Lindow grit his teeth and charged forward. He leapt into the air his sword came crashing down onto the high moving stinger and cut it in half. The world seemed to slow down around him as he landed. Whipping his body around and with both hands on the hilt, he turned on his feet clockwise and decapitated the insect with one mighty, strike. The head came clean off the insectoid and died instantly as Lindow performed his second critical strike. He opened the battle with one and it ended with one. The bug puffed into digital debris leaving the stinger behind. Lindow ended his attack and stood silently breathing. A victory was announced and he was able to collect his rewards. He spun the sword with one hand and sheathed it to his back and the collected his stinger.

==

Round 6: ID: 28118

MD: 1 [-- Dmg] || CD: 10 [+4 Dmg] || LD: 10 [No Loot]

+ 1 Material Stinger

Stats

Lindow HP: 12/21 [-3] 

Giant Wasp: Hp: -1/14 [-4]

Opal was leaning against the edge of the cave when Lindow came out. She looked him up and down and nodded with approval, "Did you get anything good?"

"Ahh! No loot drop except for the stinger mat, but that's all I really wanted. You should have seen me in there though, I scored three critical attacks on that Giant Wasp. Two of them being Major Crits. I get a sword at the end of this quest, but this basic greatsword has been a trusty ally. I'm gonna keep it with me till the end. Let's head back to town...I'm beat." 

Lindow yawned and stretched as they walked back to the city. They had a small chat while they were going back, the night sky sending out a cool breeze as the previous rain had brought about a cooler temperature. Lindow said his goodbyes to Opal who parted ways. He started to jog his way to the shop district and back to SAI's forge to get this quest turned in. Turning on a dime, he stopped by the entrance and opened the door. The warmth of the forge felt good against the chilly outside air. SAI was working hard in the back, as he heard the pounding of an anvil against steel.

As he came closer to the front, the quest was triggered and she came forth, "Ah! Back I see. I hope the materials didn't prove to be too challenging for you. So what did ya get me!"

Lindow wasn't going to reply, instead he swiped the collected materials and sent them towards SAI. She looked them up and nodded one by one and placed a fist in her palm, "Got it! Massive two handed sword, right? Take a seat and I'll be right back."

Lindow sat down with much exhaustion. His eyes drifted to the back of their sockets as he could barely keep them open at this point. Fluttering, he was close to falling asleep. Moments passed or what seemed like it when SAI returned to the front, "Orders up! Here is the Hard Edge! Thanks for the extra materials. Enjoy your new weapon!" The forger presented the blade to Lindow as he got up and yawned. As it appeared in front of him, it felt lighter than he previously thought it would be. The blade was a nice piece of work with a cut off tip, just like the one he saw in a store when he was with Calrex. Nodding to himself with approval, he thanked her and left. 

The quest was complete and it took two full days for the swordsman. He headed back to the inn and reaquainted himself with some much needed slumber. Tomorrow was a new day after all!!

===

Quest Summary:

[Uncommon] +1 Dmg: 2 Handed Sword

+1 SP  

---

Thread Summary:

2 Pages Complete: 800 Col

+1 SP

---

Total Summary:

[Uncommon] +1 Dmg: 2 Handed Sword

+2 SP