[SP-F2] Chopping Block (COMPLETE)

I unsheathed Cobra Strike and held her up to the sun.  Only just the day before had I traded in Severance and three hundred Col for her.  The eastern snake design forged into it made it feel deadly and fast, like the serpent it was so named after.  I'd received the light wakizashi from the talented blacksmith known as Mack.  I'd travelled up to the second floor to test it out.  Until I received some new armour, I wasn't travelling up to the third floor any time soon.

Of course, like another time, the first monster I had happened to scout out turned out to be a Bear.  I smiled at the irony; the smith I received my weapon from owned a Bear Cub Familiar.  The burly beast charged at me from its dark (and possibly cold) cave, attempting to run me down.  My response?  Sidestep out of the way and slash at its rear.  I could feel that it was only my skill that struck it.  I had yet to test the accuracy buff that was apparently applied to the weapon.

---

ID: 27951

BD: 7 + 2 = 9 = Modified Success (2 DMG)

MD: 4 = Failure

Grave: 27/27 HP

Bear: 12/14 HP

Edited by Grave

The big guy seemed to be PRETTY mad when it turned around to face me.  It's eyes almost looked like they were about to spin out of control!  I threw it a little smirk and flipped Cobra around in my hand, holding her backwards.  The burly animal charged again, its pink maw wide open, and not in a friendly way like Chewie.  Saliva was flung from its pink lips and onto me.  Ick.  Bringing the wakizashi behind me, I crouched low, her blade glowing a serpent green, fitting of the weapon.  I executed an elegant spin attack, ripping through the bear's side as it charged past me, and we spun around to face eachother again... But when I looked at my side, I noticed a giant chunk had been ripped out.

But not to worry!  <<Battle Healing>> saved the day!  The gash was rapidly healed, and my nice flesh repaired.  I didn't like having my side torn out, really.

---

ID: 28617

BD: 8 + 2 = 10 = Modified Success (2 DMG)

MD: 7 = Success (1 DMG)

CD: 11 = +1 HP

Grave: 27/27 HP

Bear: 10/14 HP

The animal wasn't startled in he slightest and instead lunged at me and clamped its giant jaws around my shoulder like a vice, pushing my to the ground as it went.  The air was knocked from my lungs as I felt my back slam against the earth, and winced as I felt my shoulder become tighter and tighter.

"Get... Off... Me... Hairball!" I shouted, bringing Cobra to my chest and plunging it deep into the brown mass's abdomen. I levered the giant up and off of me before kicking it away, sending it rolling across the grass.

---

ID: 28625

BD: 10 + 2 = 12 = Crit +2 (4 DMG)

MD: 10 = Crit +2 (3 DMG)

Grave: 24/27 HP

Bear: 6/14 HP

Edited by Grave

This time it was me who rushed it.  I spun Cobra back around and brought her over my head, her blade igniting into a brilliant white, before coming crashing down into the Bear's skull.  The hunk of meat and fur stumbled back, dazed, and I took a ready position again, as I felt my <<Battle Healing>> recover a portion of my mauled shoulder.  Sometimes it chose the wrong times to crop up.

---

ID: 28630

BD: 6 + 2 = 8 = Success (2 DMG)

MD: 5 = Failure

Grave: 25/27 HP

Bear: 4/14 HP

Seriously, I had yet to test out the weapon's accuracy buff.  The bear was making it way to easy to hit him.  I rushed it again while it was still recovering (a bastard move on my part) and jammed the curved blade into the Bear's throat.  It made and attempt at chomping on me again, and I was barely holding it back... Until the blade exited the animal's throat and the giant teeth found purchase on my left cheek, leaving a stinging mark there.  I pushed off backwards and eyed off the big guy, meeting his brown, beady eyes with my sword-silver ones.

---

ID: 28631

BD: 7 + 2 = 9 = Modified Success (2 DMG)

MD: 6 = Success (1 DMG)

Bear: 2/14 HP

Oh, yeah, of course, the Bear had to make the next move too hard to hit even with the accuracy buff.  My luck really wasn't being nice to me.  The Bear charged me, like a knight rushing in during a joust, except without the lance. However, rather than running me down, the bastard charged around me just as I swung, and the blade didn't even follow the bundle of fur.  I hung my head in disappointment while the Bear took position behind me.

---

ID: 28632

BD: 1 + 2 = 3 = Modified Critical Failure

MD: 3 = Failure

Those things are bloody faster than they look!  There I was, thinking I'd turn around in time to attack, but nooooo, I felt a giant weight slam into my spine and press me to the ground once more. It wasn't deadly to my well being, but it sure was beginning to piss me off!  With a bit of wriggling and elbowing, I managed to crawl away, but I could already feel the animal's hot breath at my hind.

---

ID: 28633

Grave: 23/27 HP

Well, I guess sometimes luck likes to redeem itself after being an ass.  I felt a stinging pain run through my calf, and looked down to see the Bear's teeth wrapped tightly around my flesh.  Well, that was when I tested out my new, shiny <<Martial Arts>> skill for the first time.  I sheathed Cobra and brought my fist up above the Bear's head, and it was quick to bugger off.  Who cared?  I changed the trajectory of my fist and it glowed red before rocketing off into the Bear's face, spinning the creature around.  I finished it off with a spinning hook kick, a move I learned in my few years of Taekwondo, and my foot crashed dead-centre of the Bear's nose, caving it in and causing it to shatter into shards of data.  A box showed up with the crafting material I received.  Well, off to find another monster.

---

ID: 28634

BD: 10 = Crit +2 (4 DMG)

LD: 7 = +1 Bear Hide (Mat)

Grave: 22/27 HP

Bear: *DEAD*

I strolled along the treeline, looking out for Ents and Bears.  My eyes cut through the trees and mountains like a pair of silver blades, sweeping for any mobs.  Before too long, I spotted a large, boulder-like brown mass, seemingly gnawing on some poor animal. I approached the giant creature and unsheathed Cobra, the metal singing out.  The animal turned its view to me, and I gave it a smirk in return.

---

ID: 29421

MD: 2 = Failure

Bear: 14/14 HP

The bear came rushing at me, maw wide open, ready to munch down on a part of my flesh.  I decided to let it take the first hit.  I threw out my arm, and my fist was caught in the bear's jaw. That gave me the perfect position to connect an overhead strike with the animal's neck.  It released my fist, and my <<Battle Healing>> got to work on my injury. I grinned at the mass of muscle, as we stood like two duellists, facing each other, ready to clash.

---

ID: 29423

BD: 6 + 2 = 8 = Success (3 DMG)

MD: 7 = Success (2 DMG)

CD: 10 = +1 HP

Grave: 21/27 HP

Bear: 11/14 HP

I struck, as fast as the namesake of the weapon I was holding.  The sharp, curved blade of Cobra tore through the bear's side, and I followed up with a downwards slash across the rear.  <<Battle Healing>> took care of my wounds once more as I proceeded to keep myself out of sight from the bear.  Everytime the bear moved, I made sure to stay behind it... Until one time it feinted and set its eyes on me, like a pair of dark brown sniper scopes.

---

ID: 30487

BD: 9 + 2 = 11 = Modified Crit +1 (4 DMG)

MD: 3 = Failure

Bear: 7/14 HP

Edited by Grave
  • 2 weeks later...

Acting swiftly, I spun the wakizashi in my hands and aimed to plunge it into the animal's skull.  The blade screamed towards the dark brown fur, but never pierced any flesh.  Instead, it made contact with a solid object; the bear caught my blade in between its teeth, and wasn't planning on letting go any time soon.  Easy way around that; a knee to the throat... Or it would have been, had the bear not had its enormous and powerful front feet pinning my feet to the grass.  Well, I was in quite the dilemma, especially once the animal tore the weapon from my grip and chucked it blade-first into the grass, before gnawing on my ribs with its terrible maw, however found it difficult to inflict too much damage, due to <<Battle Healing>> getting to work.  How on earth was I going to get out of that position?!

---

ID: 31368

MD: 9 = Crit +1 (3 DMG)

CD: 12 = +1 HP

Grave: 20/27 HP

Bear: 7/14 HP

Edited by Grave

I grabbed both sides of the bear's head with my hands and proceeded to pull its jaws apart, slowly releasing my ribs from its iron grasp.  It made multiple healpless growls as its maw was forced open.  My <<Battle Healing>> continued to deal with the wound in my side as I finally prised the jaws apart, forcing the animal away from me.  It was soon to come back, aiming a clawed paw at the side of my face, but I swiftly ducked underneath and rolled away, hitting the deck and throwing my hand down.  My fingers found the adorned handle of Cobra and I swung her backwards over my head, cleaving through the incoming bear's skull.  The animal elicited a muffled growl as the wakizashi stayed lodged in the digital flesh. "How do you like that, big boy?" I teased, pushing down on the back of the blade.

---

ID: 31411

BD: 7 + 2 = 9 = Modified Success (3 DMG)

MD: 1 = Critical Failure

CD: 10 = +1 HP

Edited by Grave

The bear managed to finally dislodge the blade from its head and bodyslammed me, sending me sprawling across the grass.  The attack seemingly wasn't rendered as a proper attack, as my health had not depleted.  However, the wind had been knocked straight out of my lungs, and I was holding onto my abdomen, trying to catch my breath.  The bear was standing almost on top of me, deep brown eyes swimming with one word: 'death'.  The animal was desperate to kill me, but I couldn't help but smile.  It was going to take much more than what it had been doing to kill me.  I executed a backwards roll and sprang away, landing haphazardly on my feet, my eyes locked back onto the burly beast.

---

ID: 31413

BD: 3 + 2 = 5 = Failure

Edited by Grave

The bear barreled towards me once more, but this time I stood my ground, holding Cobra at my right side.  I breathed calmly and slowly, waiting for the animal to rush within range.  Its eyes and mouth could be seen boiling with hate, and its teeth dripped with saliva, waiting to gnaw on my digital flesh.  I slashed outwards in a small arc, ripping through the muscly animal's side and leaving a large red, pixellated gash as it bolted past me.  I listened for its skid along the grass, stopping like a freight train.  My vision turned over my shoulder to eye off my opponent, soon to be slain by the snake-like blade in my right hand.

---

ID: 31414

BD: 7 + 2 = 9 = Modified Success (3 DMG)

Bear: 1/14 HP

Edited by Grave

The bear charged, almost insane with hate and bloodlust, saliva flying in all directions as it aimed to take a nice, juicy chunk out of me.  To its delight, it got exactly what it wanted, as I slung my left arm out, the set of gnarly teeth enveloping my forearm.  However, the sacrifice was not for naught.  I brought Cobra up and plunged her into the bear's chest, tearing away the last of the animal's health.  The bear disintegrated into blue shards of data, and a transparent box with my loot popped up.  Only a material.  Just great.

---

ID: 31432

BD: 4 + 2 = 6 = Success (3 DMG)

MD: 10 = Crit +2 (4 DMG)

Grave: 17/27 HP

Bear: *DEAD*

LD: 2 = Bear Meat (Mat)

Maybe I could find something else that the bear might have dropped?  It was worth a shot.  I sheathed Cobra behind me and crouched down, ruffling the lengthy grass with my fingers.  I swept the area in front of me, my hands flying across the ground, attempting to find some kind of material, but to no avail.  I turned ninety degrees and continued struggling to discover anything.  I continued this in a full circle, until I just gave up and made my way towards the trees.  Hopefully I'd find something a little easier there.

---

ID: 31467

LD: 6 = Nothing

Grave: 18/27 HP

Edited by Grave

I scanned my immediate vicinity with my silver eyes, struggling to find anything that caught my eye.  In the end I made the strange choice to climb a tree for a better view.  I brought my eyes up the entirety of the plant, scanning for some kind of handhold.  I waltzed around the tree, and eventually found a knot-hole placed just above my knee, and a small knob just above my right hand's maximum height.  I began my climb, using all the nooks and crannies I could find to slowly steal my way up the tree.  Finally a shock of silver hair popped up out the top of the tree and I turned my head like a sentry.  Nothing yet.

---

ID: 31468

LD: 8 = Maybe check in the tree?

Grave: 19/27 HP

Edited by Grave

I continued to search above the trees and on the nearby mountains, but nothing of interest met my vision.  Sighing, I attempted to carefully make my way back down, but that didn't happen.  The branch I was standing on snapped under my weight and I proceeded to plummet towards the forest floor below.  My vision blurred and my head spun... Until I felt my leg suddenly jerk upwards.  A hanging vine-like structure had entangled my knee and saved me almost a meter from losing a chunk of HP.  I let out a raspy breath of relief, but it was soon halted by a strange object before me.  I reached out to the tree I had been aiming to search and touched the substance; it was solidified tree sap.  Grinning, I tore it from its home, and sure enough it transferred into my inventory as 'Dry Sap'.  That was definitely going to come in handy sooner or later.  The only problem left was getting down from my predicament...

---

ID: 31469

LD: 20 = +1 Dry Sap (Mat)

Grave: 20/27 HP

Edited by Grave

I reached behind me and fumbled for Cobra, attempting to gently remove her from the sheathe... But the position my body was in made that a nigh-impossible task.  I began easing it out, but the blade quickly locked against the adorned, verdant wood. "Damnit..." I cursed, gritting my teeth.  I fumbled further, until it finally eased out... But I didn't have a grasp on it.  The decorated wakizashi spun out of its holding, dropping straight down into the dirt.  I pouted, unamused by my own failure.  My hands reached out in a futile attempt to retrieve my weapon, and finally I managed to hook my middle finger under the bent cobra that took place as the pommel.  I gently slid it up and out of the dirt, spinning it around in my grasp.  I reached up to my knee and carefully began to saw at the vine.  In due time, a snap resounded across the forest and I was dropped to the ground, where I landed in a rather haphazard crouch.  No?  Nothing where I landed?  Bummer.

---

ID: 31470

LD: 8 = Just hangin' around.

Edited by Grave